HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Leafs - Blues

Old
01-09-2013, 11:32 PM
glenbuis

vCash: 500
I think the difference between Halak and Reimer is far greater than the difference between Kessel and Bergulund. Blues say easy no.

glenbuis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:47 PM
STEVIE RAY BLUES

Wow am I about to get flamed! Oh well ya only live once. I think most of you are crazy here.....I like Bergie as much as the next guy but I think we have seen the best he has to offer and he's no Kessel. The B.S. about center and wing is a joke...they're hockey players and have been playing the forward positions their whole lives!..So somebody moves over ten feet ....Big deal! Halak has been good but not great. I would go so far to say most of last season Elliot was our #1. I think if they sweeten the pot with a better goalie or a pick 2nd round or better and we should all pack their bags.

STEVIE RAY BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:50 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 130
It's not EA Sports though, it if was, sure, why not.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:54 PM
STEVIE RAY BLUES

And another thing....Our defense is wonderful but there were times last year where the Blues couldn't score in a whorehouse! I love our smothering defense but you have got to score a goal or 4 to win and we don't score much. I don't care if it's Kessel or someone else but relying on Tarasenko to be our goal scorer does not make me overly confident. I love the kid but he's still going to be a rookie in the NHL. Expect about 18 goals and 20 assists. I bet Kessel's #'s will be better than his and bergies. Just sayin. # biscuit in the basket!

STEVIE RAY BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 11:57 PM
CarvinSigX
The Toilet

vCash: 1000
And how will Kessel's plus/minus look? While Berglund will probably only be a 50 point center, I bet he stops more goals than the difference between the two.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:10 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

We score by committee and when we have Perron and McDonald in the lineup, we have a dynamic offense. We have 20+ goal scorers on every line, and that's without Tarasenko.

Stewart is in the best shape of his life, so lets see if he bounces back.

And going from wing to center is a big deal, it's completely different, not just moving over 10 feet.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:23 AM
stlblues9

vCash: 5762
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
We score by committee and when we have Perron and McDonald in the lineup, we have a dynamic offense. We have 20+ goal scorers on every line, and that's without Tarasenko.

Stewart is in the best shape of his life, so lets see if he bounces back.

And going from wing to center is a big deal, it's completely different, not just moving over 10 feet.
Exactly, switching positions is a lot harder than people think. I played center growing up and if I was put on the wing I was completely lost. The positions are completely different.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:42 AM
Just One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIE RAY BLUES View Post
Wow am I about to get flamed! Oh well ya only live once. I think most of you are crazy here.....I like Bergie as much as the next guy but I think we have seen the best he has to offer and he's no Kessel. The B.S. about center and wing is a joke...they're hockey players and have been playing the forward positions their whole lives!..So somebody moves over ten feet ....Big deal! Halak has been good but not great. I would go so far to say most of last season Elliot was our #1. I think if they sweeten the pot with a better goalie or a pick 2nd round or better and we should all pack their bags.
Wow, so much wrong here. If wing and center are not that much of a difference don't you think Toronto would just move Kessell to center? I don't mind Steen starting 3rd line center next yr but I really don't want 2 players adjusting to the new position.

Both goalies played great last yr (IMO Halak was better) but I would not depend on Elliott until he proves he can play at that level for longer as it was only one season. I sure wouldn't make him a number one goalie on a cup contending team yet.

This trade makes us weak in goal and center, when the last team to win the cup that was weak in those areas?

Just One Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:36 AM
The Hockey Life
HFB Partner

No. God No. No God No.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

The Hockey Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:16 AM
SteenMachine

The Blues and Leafs are still horrible trading partners, literally nothing has changed except for the JVR trade. It's not about fair because fair implies both teams needs can be satisfied, there's not even a good basis for that kinda of deal. Both teams strengths are wingers and a young D core behind a solid #1 d-man.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:33 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Everything you said is wrong, but the bolded part is especially laughable. If that were the case, no one would be a wing or a center. They'd all shuffle around and nobody would care. But they don't, and there is a reason: it matters a lot. It's obvious you've never played hockey, which is fine, but I actually wonder if you've even watched it.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:45 AM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

vCash: 380
You hear that Toronto? Apparently all it would take is a 2nd round pick on top to get the Blues to trade their #1 goalie and one of the two centers on the roster.

C'mon man.

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:04 AM
BDEuph
Hotty Toddy

I have to agree with my fellow Blues fans, we need depth at Center...trading a C for a winger who cant drive the net does not work. The blues dire needs is a reserve Center and definitely some Defensive depth when our D looks like

Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Polak, Russell, Jackman, Cole

and the reserve 2 are Woywitka & Chorney...

I'd say depth at D is a #1 priority.

BDEuph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:30 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Personnaly I think the Leafs get hosed.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55

Quote:
You can't be serious. There is a HUGE difference between playing center, especially at the NHL level. There's a reason you usually see the most potent offensive players playing on the wing and the best two way players at center. Halák is a better goalie than Elliott. Invade you forgot, he has never had another season anywhere close to what he did last year. He stunk up the joint so bad the year before that the avalanche didn't even offer him a qualifying offer. You don't trade your number 1 goalie and number two center, who is huge and starting to play some quality two way play, for a worse goalie and a winger that wouldn't fit your system.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:56 AM
underslept
"well-informed"

There was at least a little effort by the OP to make the value even, but this makes STL worse.

Dear Toronto fans, use the search function next time you "think" you've got a "reasonable" trade for the Blues, you'll find we've already told you we don't want what you've got and you can't have what you want.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by underslept View Post
There was at least a little effort by the OP to make the value even, but this makes STL worse.

Dear Toronto fans, use the search function next time you "think" you've got a "reasonable" trade for the Blues, you'll find we've already told you we don't want what you've got and you can't have what you want.
You can't expect other fan bases to know the needs of every other team. The trade isn't terrible value wise which is what you want most on here. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work but there's been far worse ones than this.

Falco Lombardi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:39 AM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Quote:
Here are our needs and our only needs:

#2-3 LH defenseman: Someone capable of playing top pairing minutes, prefer to be able to play on the 2nd PP unit, doesn't have to be a star.

Top 6 center: We will probably be looking for someone to score 50+ points if Berglund doesn't progress and get consistent. If Berglund can score 50 points consistently and Steen fits at center, then this doesn't become a need.

That's it, we don't need Kessel, and I seriously doubt he would fit with Hitchcock.
Gunnarsson fits the description perfectly.

For C's, don't you already have Backes/Berglund/Steen/Sobotka down the middle and McDonald can also play C, can't he?

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:57 AM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post

For C's, don't you already have Backes/Berglund/Steen/Sobotka down the middle and McDonald can also play C, can't he?
Steen would be doing it because he has to, not because it's what works best for him. Sobotka is a streaky player when it comes to offense so he gets shuffled around a lot when injuries hit, and it would leave us thin in the bottom 6 center area if he had to take over for a winger. McDonald has been too successful on the top line LW since he's got to St. Louis to consider moving him back to center for anything but a faceoff. Backes has done extremely well in that role but a lot of Blues fans would like to see how he could perform back on the wing with a natural top line / top 6 center.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Here are our needs and our only needs:

#2-3 LH defenseman: Someone capable of playing top pairing minutes, prefer to be able to play on the 2nd PP unit, doesn't have to be a star.

Top 6 center: We will probably be looking for someone to score 50+ points if Berglund doesn't progress and get consistent. If Berglund can score 50 points consistently and Steen fits at center, then this doesn't become a need.

That's it, we don't need Kessel, and I seriously doubt he would fit with Hitchcock.
So essentially guys like Seidenberg & Krejci would be a good fit in St.Louis?

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:05 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post

The Blues lines are going to basically look something like...

Schwartz/D'Agostini - Backes - Oshie
Perron - Berglund - Stewart
McDonald - Steen - Tarasenko
Sobotka - Nichol - Langenbrunner

Steen is having to move to C from LW, where he has played since he arrived in St. Louis. McDonald and Sobotka have also played the majority of their time on LW here, while I expect Sobotka will be the 4th line C next season, I think it would take a few injuries before we moved McDonald back to C.

The fact we roll 3 lines means we need another centre to add to Backes and Berglund. If Steen can perform like a high end 2nd line centre, then that need obviously goes away.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:16 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReimerForPM View Post
Add tweaks to make a deal centred around this core deal to make it fair value-wise:

To St. Louis:
Kessel
Reimer

To Toronto:
Halak
Berglund

Gives Toronto a #1 goalie and a great young centre. St. Louis gets a dynamic scoring winger, addressing a need that they do have, and a quality back up for Elliot

The Leafs are looking for a center to play with Kessel and Lupul so why would they trade one of them to get a center?

colchar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
So essentially guys like Seidenberg & Krejci would be a good fit in St.Louis?
Would be perfect, but not for the price it would take.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
SteenMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
The Leafs are looking for a center to play with Kessel and Lupul so why would they trade one of them to get a center?
Because goalie!

Old
01-10-2013, 12:24 PM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

If the Blues are so short on depth at C - why did they take Schmaltz over Gaunce in this years draft? Did they need to add to the D pool more?

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote