HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Leafs - Blues

Old
01-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Lord Helix
CarvinSigX

vCash: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
If the Blues are so short on depth at C - why did they take Schmaltz over Gaunce in this years draft? Did they need to add to the D pool more?
Sore subject...That's who I realistically wanted.

Lord Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:29 PM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Gunnarsson fits the description perfectly.

For C's, don't you already have Backes/Berglund/Steen/Sobotka down the middle and McDonald can also play C, can't he?
Gunnarsson would be a good fit, and we have discussed him in the past on here. Among fans, we seem to be close enough to always agree on some sort of a deal.

The rumor was at the start of free agency we were interested in a shooting LH defenseman. There were rumors about free agents and trade targets, but recently our beat writer said we probably aren't going to pursue anything else in that area.

It looks like we will start our the season with this:

Russell-Pietrangelo
Jackman-Shattenkirk
Cole-Polak

I think this will work as Russell doesn't make many mistakes and he played great in the playoffs. It will be interesting to see how Russell and Pietrangelo combine with their great puck moving ability.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
If the Blues are so short on depth at C - why did they take Schmaltz over Gaunce in this years draft? Did they need to add to the D pool more?
Always draft the best player available. Why draft based on current team needs when the player might not be ready to play in the NHL for 3+ years?

We can address needs later on, in the same way we done with moving Rundblad to select Tarasenko.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
couture23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Sore subject...That's who I realistically wanted.
Oh, haha sorry - didn't know.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

vCash: 306
Quote:
A few years ago, I would've been furious, but now I just kind of go with what ever our scouts do because they have been so successful. We don't have much depth at center in the NHL, just some guys that can fill in and get the job done, but no one you want long-term. Backes and Berglund are good natural centers, Steen will probably be good enough, and Oshie can play for a few games here and there. If Backes or Berglund get hurt, we could have some trouble.

What's worse is our center prospects are horrible.

Granted our center situation is still a lot better than a lot of other teams though.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:41 PM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
It's an intriguing proposal. Goaltending/Centre are obviously Toronto's two main weaknesses.

I doubt either team would do it though.

St. Louis? I doubt theyre entirely sold on Elliot. Though the temptation for them would be that although they have a prettty well balanced forward core, they do lack a go-to PPG sniper.

Toronto? I think Toronto would want a higher end main piece coming back in the package. Halak is decent, but he went for Eller+Shultz a couple years ago, hardly a package of significant value. Berglund? He has a lot of the qualities you like in a centre (size, two-way play, some skill), but he's yet to put it all together, and he's the same age as Kessel.

Toronto would probably prefer to roll the dice on a high end prospect, then take two proven decent NHL pieces. The temptation would be that it addresses two key team needs.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote