HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brian Burke

Old
01-10-2013, 10:24 AM
DaveT83*

vCash: 500
The Team finished in the bottom 10 every single year Burke was in Toronto.
They were a LOTTERY TEAM 2/4 years.

Of course we would have better prospects - and even that is debatable ... most major scouting organizations have ranked the team 18th-20th which is exactly the position they were in when he took over.

As for the Marlies success - alot of people forget that JFJ's Marlies lost in Game 7 of the Calder Cup SemiFinals - to the Eventual Winners ... so they were a pretty decent squad as well. They were also 3 years younger in average age than the current group which is ladden with 30+ AHL Vets

DaveT83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Domino11

I think Burke never recuperate from the Kessel trade ... I,agile Toronto with seguin and Hamilton in tere long up ... Seguin is and will be one of the best player in the nhl .... Kessel is very good but ill take seguin and Hamilton before Kessel !! Komisarek signature was bad too but Phaneuf trade was pretty good

Domino11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
NHL commissioner. Really think this is where he ends up.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I think his trade value is slightly higher than Fehr, but I'm not sure if teams like Columbus or NYI are prepared to give up the necessary draft picks and prospects to get him.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:30 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

He's not actually any good at his job.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:39 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
NHL commissioner. Really think this is where he ends up.
Don't believe this ever happens, the NHL is trying to rebuild its image not destroy it permanently.

I support those with the view that Bettman will either offer him a job or find him a spot.

The best think for Burke might to to take some time away from the game and get his personal life in order before jumping back in.

Holdurbreathe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:42 AM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
Burke is a finisher. His an elite trader as well. A team that is on cusp of taking the next step or needs to would be perfect for Burke.
I'm not so sure he is an elite trader. I know he was able to take huge amount of salary back in some trades because the Leafs are loaded.

I would like to see him a smaller market.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:21 PM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
He's probably worth 2 1st rounders and a 2nd

Honestly I think he will do great wherever he goes. Probably calgary? If i can think of gm's doing a bad job in recent years it's definitely Calgary.

kento19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Minimalist*

He'd follow a bottle of scotch into a volcano. So just offer him that.

Minimalist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:29 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
The problem is he wasn't hired to improve the Marlies and more importantly some of the key contributors aren't headed to the NHL any time soon.

According to his supporters he took over a mess, yet his teams only surpassed the mess once in season point totals.

Everything Burke did wasn't bad for sure, but on balance he failed miserably.
I can't believe some Leaf "fans", this is why we can never get a good team. We finally get a solid GM and he gets run out of town way too soon.

This is the roster that Burke took over:

Quote:
Jason Blake
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Matt Stajan
Mikhail Grabovski
Nik Antropov‡
Niklas Hagman
Dominic Moore‡
Pavel Kubina
Tomas Kaberle
Nikolai Kulemin
Lee Stempniak†
John Mitchell
Ian White
Jeff Finger
Jamal Mayers
Luke Schenn
Anton Stralman
Boyd Devereaux
Mike Van Ryn
Jeremy Williams
Jonas Frogren
Jeff Hamilton
Alexander Steen‡
Jiri Tlusty
Brad May†
Ryan Hollweg
Phil Oreskovic
Jaime Sifers
Christian Hanson
Carlo Colaiacovo‡
Andre Deveaux
Jay Harrison
Tim Stapleton
Ben Ondrus
Kris Newbury
And this is what he is leaving us with

Quote:
Phil Kessel
Joffrey Lupul
Mikhail Grabovski
Tyler Bozak
Dion Phaneuf
JVR
Clarke MacArthur
Tim Connolly
Jake Gardiner
Nikolai Kulemin
John-Michael Liles
Joey Crabb
Luke Schenn
Cody Franson
Carl Gunnarsson
Matthew Lombardi
Matt Frattin
David Steckel
Nazem Kadri
Mike Komisarek
Joe Colborne
Mike Brown
Colby Armstrong
Darryl Boyce‡
Keith Aulie‡
Colton Orr
Ryan Hamilton
Philippe Dupuis
Jay Rosehill
Carter Ashton
If you dont think a top six of

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kuelmin

isn't significantly better than

Blake - Stajan - Poni
Antropov - Grabo - Hagman

please give up on hockey and stop claiming to be a fan of the Leafs.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:30 PM
KayNine*

He's worth a can of beans if lucky.

KayNine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Exit Dose

Just a correction, Rosehill isn't with the Leafs.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:33 PM
JuniorNelson

The pressing need is for a new Commissioner. Burke would be perfect.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:38 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreat View Post
I think MLSE is going to start interfering again , this new guy at the news conference seems just like Richard Peddie , (Leafs are going to ****ed over) I would rather Have Burke then the mess that is Peddie/MSLE or the w/e the new guy name is

Goodbye trying to build a stanley cup contender and hello Playoff Revenue TEAM ( I SO hope i am wrong!!)
Yeah, nothing screams building a stanley cup contender like having a dysfunctional collection of players with no 1C, 1D or 1G.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
The pressing need is for a new Commissioner. Burke would be perfect.
Where does everyone get this?

He was part of the disasterous negotiatin in '94 and when he was in Shanny's job enforcement was a joke. In addition he's burnt enough bridges that the BOG wouldn't vote him in.

With the way he loves the camera he needs to go into the media.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post

If you dont think a top six of

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kuelmin

isn't significantly better than

Blake - Stajan - Poni
Antropov - Grabo - Hagman

please give up on hockey and stop claiming to be a fan of the Leafs.
Leafs already had Grabo and Kulemin. Bozak may be an upgrade on Stajan but he's not a top 6 C on a contender unless your 1C is Crosby. Leafs also had Schenn, so he didn't exactly get JVR out of thin air. If anything Schenn would have fetched a better player if he was developed properly.

Given that he had 4 years, multiple top 10 picks, tons of other draft picks and unlimited financial resources that top 6 is nowhere nearly good enough. You could have hired a blind goat like Edmonton did and ended up with a far better top 6. Or a defense that's not completely and utterly dysfunctional and needs a massive overhaul.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:47 PM
hefsbeaver

Quote:
He got an ECHL quality team with zero prospects and built up to have a team with quite a few valuable young pieces and one of the top AHL teams.

He did a great job as far as I am concerned and I am mad that someone else will get credit for the framework he will have built down the line. We will call it the Mike Gillis effect...

well he wasnt even the gm after Burke left so I'm not too sure why you would call it that. The only time Burke did anything good (winning the cup with Anahiem) he was handed that team and made 1 or 2 small moves, and look at anahiem since...... I personally do not think that Burke is a good GM, he has worked at the league offices before so I could see him doing something along those lines

hefsbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:00 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefsbeaver View Post
[/B]

well he wasnt even the gm after Burke left so I'm not too sure why you would call it that. The only time Burke did anything good (winning the cup with Anahiem) he was handed that team and made 1 or 2 small moves, and look at anahiem since...... I personally do not think that Burke is a good GM, he has worked at the league offices before so I could see him doing something along those lines
Trading for Pronger isn't a small move.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

26th best record in the league while he was a GM. He failed utterly. He couldn't have been much worse.

His reputation for trades and whatnot might get him another position some day though.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:20 PM
inthewings

What organization wants to spend 4 years taking shortcuts in building a fringe playoff team that peaks when half the roster is set to earn UFA dollars and has a decent but unspectacular prospect pool?

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:30 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefsbeaver View Post
[/B]

So I guess you aren't a fan of any of the above players that currently play for the Canucks?

1. Daniel Sedin
2. Henrik Sedin
3. Ryan Kesler
4. Kevin Bieksa

Stupid Burke, guy was so bad he only acquired the core of your President's trophy team. Guy is clearly incompetent when it comes to running teams.

As for the Gillis effect, the rest of the roster was inherited from our new GM Nonis (Luongo, Schneider, Raymond, Hansen, Edler etc). The only pieces that Gillis has added of note are Hamhuis and Booth, besides that he is coasting on the framework of Burke / Nonis.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:31 PM
glenbuis

As a habs fan I'm shocked by there decision. Except for the Bruins trade the man made some good moves. I liked the fact that he stood up to board members that think they know their hockey. Gardiner, Lupul, Macarthur, VanReimsdyk, and Liles were all smart acquisitions. The Kessel trade was bad because he just never expected to land at 2nd last overall. The idea was to finish higher but injuries derailed that. The leafs would have been better off to leave Burke alone instead of having a puppett like Nonis.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:35 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
He's probably worth 2 1st rounders and a 2nd
Probably to Boston . He must be on their payroll as well . TML would be in better shape if he never made the Kessel trade . Their defence plus Hamilton , could be scare for many years

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:37 PM
inthewings

Quote:
So I guess you aren't a fan of any of the above players that currently play for the Canucks?

1. Daniel Sedin
2. Henrik Sedin
3. Ryan Kesler
4. Kevin Bieksa

Stupid Burke, guy was so bad he only acquired the core of your President's trophy team. Guy is clearly incompetent when it comes to running teams.

As for the Gillis effect, the rest of the roster was inherited from our new GM Nonis (Luongo, Schneider, Raymond, Hansen, Edler etc). The only pieces that Gillis has added of note are Hamhuis and Booth, besides that he is coasting on the framework of Burke / Nonis.
Gillis has shown to be a very shrewd GM.

- Acquiring Booth for Sturm and Samuelsson.
- Picking up Higgins and Lapierre on the cheap.
- Great extensions for Henrik, Daniel, Burrows, Kesler, and (IMO) Luongo.
- Acquiring Ehrhoff for nothing.
- Signing Malhotra, Samuelsson, and Hamhuis on the FA market while avoiding bad contracts.
- Signing Lack and Tanev.

IMO he's a top-tier GM.

inthewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:49 PM
CanadienShark

vCash: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Leafs already had Grabo and Kulemin. Bozak may be an upgrade on Stajan but he's not a top 6 C on a contender unless your 1C is Crosby. Leafs also had Schenn, so he didn't exactly get JVR out of thin air. If anything Schenn would have fetched a better player if he was developed properly.

Given that he had 4 years, multiple top 10 picks, tons of other draft picks and unlimited financial resources that top 6 is nowhere nearly good enough. You could have hired a blind goat like Edmonton did and ended up with a far better top 6. Or a defense that's not completely and utterly dysfunctional and needs a massive overhaul.
But noooo, that 2nd overall wouldn't have turned out anything special... and definitely still can't...

Neither player has worked well, let's see if they can BOTH reach their potential now. That's a two way street; you could make the argument that *if* Van Riemsdyk didn't have injuries, he could be worth WAY more than Schenn. It's all "what ifs" haha, so just hope that both work out well.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote