HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edmonton/Ottawa Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2003, 07:52 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Edmonton/Ottawa Proposal

If you're expecting a proposal involving Comrie or Smyth, you guessed wrong. IMO, the Sens do not need to start dismantling their roster. But I do think that a minor move here or there could help give the players a sufficient kick in the rear and get them going and make them a better playoff team.

My proposal:

To Edmonton: Peter Schaefer (LW)
To Ottawa: Ethan Moreau (LW)

The Oilers get Moreau's fairly big contract off the books (not sure whether they want to or not :p ) and get Schaefer, who would probably fit in well with their system.

The Sens get a gritty character player in Moreau who has good work ethic and would help them in the playoffs. Every team needs someone like Moreau.

I realize that Schaefer's having a pretty good year, but he's cooled off a bit (zero points in three games) and it seems that some of you Sens fans would be willing to move him. I also realize that the Oilers might not want to move Moreau.

But, that said, what do you think? Doable or not doable? And if it's not doable, how could I make it that way or is it just a lost cause?

Old
12-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Moreau signed for 5 years and is a vet
no dice

Old
12-10-2003, 08:03 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
Moreau's contract isn't a problem for the Oilers. They are not in any financial trouble right now. Despite the Comrie situation. They probably can't take on salary but they definitely don't have to shed salary.

In regards to Moreau, his deal is very favorable. It's a 4 year deal but he also takes a pay cut in each of the years of the deal. I think by the end of the contract he will only be making 1.1 or 1.2 Million per year. I'm too lazy to find the source but it is around if you want to look.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:06 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
I knew that he was signed to a long-term contract, but I guess I sort of was thinking mainly of Ottawa's needs...

So Moreau's not likely to be dealt, eh? Not even if you could save some cash, get younger and maybe get some more goal scoring? Is it possible that he could be included in a Comrie deal, as he is a valuable role player?

Old
12-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
I knew that he was signed to a long-term contract, but I guess I sort of was thinking mainly of Ottawa's needs...

So Moreau's not likely to be dealt, eh? Not even if you could save some cash, get younger and maybe get some more goal scoring? Is it possible that he could be included in a Comrie deal, as he is a valuable role player?
He's one the the few vets we have, and Lowe LOVES him.

Now that he's actually playing well, I don't think he'll be dealt unless someone overpays.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
He's one the the few vets we have, and Lowe LOVES him.

Now that he's actually playing well, I don't think he'll be dealt unless someone overpays.
Moreau's another case of a player signing a very moderate contract to remain an Oiler.. like with Smyth, it would be an awful organizational move for the Oilers to turn around and trade Moreau after he signed for likely less than he could have received elsewhere. A guy I could see being moved however is Chimera.. his play has been slightly dissapointing this year and he has all the tools to be a good power forward..

Old
12-10-2003, 08:11 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik

For me he is probably the least tradeable player after Hemsky and maybe Smyth because of the length he signed for and the price. He originally had a pricier contract but took a pay-cut so he could stay longer he is a team guy and a leader on this team he is not a player we will trade anytime soon. League average is 1.8million so he is not at all pricey for what he does and Danrik don't waste your 3,000 post on something stupid.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:32 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Very happy with Schaefer's play. Both teams stick to their guns here.

Old
12-10-2003, 10:22 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Not the way Schaefer is playing this season. He's doing much better than I have expected.

Old
12-12-2003, 03:24 AM
eazye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Moreau's another case of a player signing a very moderate contract to remain an Oiler.. like with Smyth, it would be an awful organizational move for the Oilers to turn around and trade Moreau after he signed for likely less than he could have received elsewhere. A guy I could see being moved however is Chimera.. his play has been slightly dissapointing this year and he has all the tools to be a good power forward..
What would Edmonton be looking for, for Chimera? Ottawa needs LW'ers and I like Chimera's physical makeup. Would he be a first line LW'er, no but Ottawa could roll out a pretty good 4th line with a Chimera-Fisher-Neil. What about Schastlivy for Chimera? Both have untapped potential and could use a chnage of scenery. Just a thought.

Schastlivy's bio:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...96&hubname=OTT

Chimera's bio:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/player_b...86&hubname=EDM

Old
12-12-2003, 03:33 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
I don't see the Sens moving Schaefer at all...he's been one of the best players for the Sens this year, and we need a guy like him who can go into the corners and dig out pucks for guys like Spezza, Hossa, Alfie and Havlat.

Schastlivy on the other hands...well...uuuhhh...I'll take a bag of pucks for him right now. He's been a major disappointment this year. He's not even a shadow of himself since the injury last year. On top of it...it appears that Martin has thrown him to the wolves as well...been a healthy scratch for about 5 or more games now...

Closed Thread