HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 12:40 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Because Nonis is going to go on the radio and say, "If I don't make the playoffs I'm fired. All of our players are on the table. Come steal from us, GM's."

It wasn't too long ago most Leafs fans around here were saying Burke could miss the playoffs this season and he still wouldn't be fired.
mentioning Gardiner by name is another thing though

he could of said that young players are very valuable to this team and he would be reluctant to move any

Old
rune74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
Exactly. Yet some Canuck fans seem to have all the answers.

Don't you know Burke was fired because his team missed tha playoffs again? They just waited three days before training camp to officially do it.
Hey I agree with you, everything couldn't be better for the leafs right now. His firing was definitely a sign of stability.

Old
StringerBell

Quote:
To clarify, personal specualtion. Too many holes to continue giving up first rounders. That said, if it were a conditional first, new ball game from where I sit.
Appreciate the clarification. I think a conditional 1st makes the most sense too.

Old
Inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Because Nonis is going to go on the radio and say, "If I don't make the playoffs I'm fired. All of our players are on the table. Come steal from us, GM's."

It wasn't too long ago most Leafs fans around here were saying Burke could miss the playoffs this season and he still wouldn't be fired.
MLSE fired Nonis's predecessor Burke after 4 seasons as the GM, I'm sure Nonis will have more leeway just starting as a GM especially that too its a 48 game season.

Old
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
doesn't really make sense, we don't need help on D as of right now and I doubt Philly wants to lose a shutdown guy
Need to look at the big picture,

Obtaining D makes sense, What if Edler doesn't resign? Who's filling that hole?

Getting a bottom 6 D makes Ballard expendable, which frees up 4.2m which could be used to entice Edler to resign in a 2nd situation

If Edler is leaving, then flip him for a 3C + bottom 6F/ Pick + prospect

you can never have too many assets, it's not a forward here, a defensman here, it's assets, if you acquire them, they can be re-moved

Old
01-10-2013, 12:41 PM
struckmatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I wish PHI were a realistic trade partner because they have some players Vancouver would be interested in.
The Flyers are perhaps the most unpredictable and crazy organizations in the league when it comes to trades and signings. They are not afraid or shy to make big changes or a major splash.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:42 PM
struckmatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
Need to look at the big picture,

Obtaining D makes sense, What if Edler doesn't resign? Who's filling that hole?

Getting a bottom 6 D makes Ballard expendable, which frees up 4.2m which could be used to entice Edler to resign in a 2nd situation

If Edler is leaving, then flip him for a 3C + bottom 6F/ Pick + prospect

you can never have too many assets, it's not a forward here, a defensman here, it's assets, if you acquire them, they can be removed
Moving Ballard was my reasoning for including Grossman in the deal. Raymond looks like he needs a fresh start as well so adding him in makes sense from the Canucks perspective.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:43 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
MLSE fired Nonis's predecessor Burke after 4 seasons as the GM, I'm sure Nonis will have more leeway just starting as a GM especially that too its a 48 game season.
Yes, and we all know Burke had nothing to do with Nonis being there and they don't share similar views...oh wait.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:43 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
How about the GM who had the stones to make a trade that got his team into the playoffs for the first time in 8 years? I'd like to be that GM!

That's such a short sighted view. I don't know Nonis and I don't claim to know what he's thinking. I would not trade for a player with multiple years left on a deal that runs into his early 40's just so that that Bruce Arthur writes a few inches about how awesome I am for getting the Leafs into the playoffs for the first time in a decade. I'd be more interested in building the team for long-term sustained success. I would rather not end up flash in the pan, Columbus Blue Jackets style, we made the playoffs that one time with hot goaltending so it must have been worth it.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I don't see that.

Leafs have good offense, okay defense and abysmal goaltending and penalty-killing.

They got McClement to help a bit with the PK and they probably need one more top PKing forward, winger, then they need a top 6 center and a #1 goalie.

Get those and wait for some of the young d to develop and they should be just fine.
So they'll be just fine provided they can get a #1 goalie, a PK forward, a winger, a top 6 centre, and ideal development accross the board from their prospects?

Should be easy enough. Wonder why they haven't done it sooner...

Old
01-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
Hey I agree with you, everything couldn't be better for the leafs right now. His firing was definitely a sign of stability.
Yeah, that is exactly what I said.

Riddle me this: fire Burke because of missing the playoffs, but keep Colangelo. Not really all that hard to figure out.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:47 PM
rune74

Quote:

Riddle me this: fire Burke because of missing the playoffs, but keep Colangelo. Not really all that hard to figure out.
Hey I'm just laughing a bit because you guys actually think you are in a better position now then yesterday. Seriously, that firing was bad and timing couldn't have been worse.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:48 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post

That's such a short sighted view. I don't know Nonis and I don't claim to know what he's thinking. I would not trade for a player with multiple years left on a deal that runs into his early 40's just so that that Bruce Arthur writes a few inches about how awesome I am for getting the Leafs into the playoffs for the first time in a decade. I'd be more interested in building the team for long-term sustained success. I would rather not end up flash in the pan, Columbus Blue Jackets style, we made the playoffs that one time with hot goaltending so it must have been worth it.
Not to mention, the Leafs are not in any way guaranteed a playoff spot by acquiring Luongo.

The GM who trades youth and/or picks for Luongo and does not make the playoffs immediately is going to be crucified.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
You don't understand why Burke was fired now instead of this offseason? His team sucks.
Then you fire Burke months ago when you decided to or wait until the season is over.

Not days before the start of a shortened season. That's quite possibly the worst possible time to do it.

Nonis benefits from being his assistant but he's got a very short time to get his affairs in order and decide with his staff what direction he wants to take now that Burke is no longer a factor.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:52 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
Hey I'm just laughing a bit because you guys actually think you are in a better position now then yesterday. Seriously, that firing was bad and timing couldn't have been worse.
Agreed. Just a sign of the state of this franchise, I guess.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:54 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Why do we automatically dismiss anything that Gillis or Luongo says to the media, but when the Leafs COO or Nonis come out and say something it's taken as gospel?

Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post

Well said. This was Burkes mentatlity over his tenure, which explains the depth we have in the farm system, and the overall age of the club. We have built up assets for a few years now and it is almost the time (or it is the time!) to move these assets to aquire the few key players that will round out the team and make us competitive. This is why TO should have a lengthy list of untouchable young/prime aged players. i.e kessel, JVR, Grabo, gardiner, reilly, lupul?, kulemin, Phanuef. and I must admit these list of players are what most teams would want back in trades.

Its a critical time for Nonis to take over, and over paying on a trade could blow any chance of having a competitive team in the future.

Old
crazycanuck

Quote:

If Colangelo was as brash, stubborn and vindictive as Burke is, he'd be gone too.

Burke got fired because a) He wasn't able to ice a playoff team (After coming in and making bold statements) b) His relationship with the media was getting worse and worse (and the owners are the owners of the media as well) c) Nonis was already doing a lot of jobs of the GM and made the transition easier.

Whether or not Burke's willingness to do a Luongo deal may or may not have been the straw that broke the camel's back but I doubt we'll ever know the truth on it.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Why do we automatically dismiss anything that Gillis or Luongo says to the media, but when the Leafs COO or Nonis come out and say something it's taken as gospel?
just the way she goes

Old
01-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Not to mention, the Leafs are not in any way guaranteed a playoff spot by acquiring Luongo.

The GM who trades youth and/or picks for Luongo and does not make the playoffs immediately is going to be crucified.
i will build the cross myself

Old
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Oh I'm fully aware of the longterm goaltending issues with Toronto (as well as team defence issues). But Luongo simply isn't the answer IMO.

By the time the team in front of him (if he were acquired) was ready to actually compete for the Stanley Cup, he would likely already be ~37 or so. Which would give us a couple years in which we could actually compete before looking for a goalie all over again.

I'd prefer to find a younger one. The Leafs also have to actually try drafting a goalie, and do it with something higher than a 7th round pick. The last three times we've drafted a goalie with a higher pick, it produced Rask, Reimer, and Pogge. Two NHLers, one of whom is very likely a future all-star. Not bad for three picks.

We've only drafted goalies 5 times in the last 10 years. It's way better to have LAs situation where you might have to trade a young high end goalie vs Torontos situation where you're spinning your wheels for a decade because you don't have one.
You know, you are allowed to develop other goalies WHILE you have a franchise player in net? You seem to be under the impression that you can't do this ...

Luongo makes the Leafs better now and for the foreseeable future, and allows them to continue developing either of your present goalies, or gives you enough time to draft, trade and develop someone new.

Old
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Because at certain times of the day you have more posters for one team or the other. It is human nature to want to believe the side you favor.

Old
01-10-2013, 12:59 PM
wreckless

Side Note: I think Luongo Flurishes in the east coast.

The east coast is a much different game, one of less grit/net presence - both of which are the sole reason for Luongos issues.

A pure rush and shoot off the fly game will be eaten up by Luongo. He will save Toronto.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:00 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
You know, you are allowed to develop other goalies WHILE you have a franchise player in net? You seem to be under the impression that you can't do this ...

Luongo makes the Leafs better now and for the foreseeable future, and allows them to continue developing either of your present goalies, or gives you enough time to draft, trade and develop someone new.
honestly I think this has been the problem in Toronto with their goalies...they bring in great young talent then get them ripped to shreds for a year and their confidence is shot. The last 7 or so years has enough evidence to support this, hell they even took a calder winning goalie and destroyed him.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post

That is probably the logic behind getting Luongo. It is probably a long shot Luo is still playing his best hockey when alot of our player reach prime age. but if he buys us a few years for riemer to develop, and gives our players some much needed playoff experiance, trading for him now is completely justifiable.

Closed Thread