HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Lebda Snipes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
honestly I think this has been the problem in Toronto with their goalies...they bring in great young talent then get them ripped to shreds for a year and their confidence is shot. The last 7 or so years has enough evidence to support this, hell they even took a calder winning goalie and destroyed him.
I dont want to talk about raycroft....

Old
01-10-2013, 01:01 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Because at certain times of the day you have more posters for one team or the other. It is human nature to want to believe the side you favor.
I will openly admit GM's are dishonest to the media. But Nonis is in his 1st day as GM. So i think when he specifically says Jake Gardiner won't be dealt for an older player, i tend to believe him.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:02 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Correct me if i'm wrong but there's a new rule where teams can trade cap too correct? Perhaps the Canucks eat a portion of Luongo's cap after the first 3-5 years of the contract.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:03 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post

That's such a short sighted view. I don't know Nonis and I don't claim to know what he's thinking. I would not trade for a player with multiple years left on a deal that runs into his early 40's just so that that Bruce Arthur writes a few inches about how awesome I am for getting the Leafs into the playoffs for the first time in a decade. I'd be more interested in building the team for long-term sustained success. I would rather not end up flash in the pan, Columbus Blue Jackets style, we made the playoffs that one time with hot goaltending so it must have been worth it.
Losing creates winning!

I don't know, making a hockey trade that improves your team for the next five years seems to be a good way of moving forward. Why is the only option just making the playoffs once and then flaming out?

Old
01-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I will openly admit GM's are dishonest to the media. But Nonis is in his 1st day as GM. So i think when he specifically says Jake Gardiner won't be dealt for an older player, i tend to believe him.
Ya i agree. to say that and trade him in the same week would destroy his credability. Unless another player that address' our needs is coming with Luo, which is doubtful. toronto media would eat him alive for lieing. Gardiner isn't moving

Old
01-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
Losing creates winning!

I don't know, making a hockey trade that improves your team for the next five years seems to be a good way of moving forward. Why is the only option just making the playoffs once and then flaming out?
good point. Just thinking worst case senario i guess.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:06 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
Side Note: I think Luongo Flurishes in the east coast.

The east coast is a much different game, one of less grit/net presence - both of which are the sole reason for Luongos issues.

A pure rush and shoot off the fly game will be eaten up by Luongo. He will save Toronto.

Tell me more!

Old
01-10-2013, 01:07 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
You know, you are allowed to develop other goalies WHILE you have a franchise player in net? You seem to be under the impression that you can't do this ...

Luongo makes the Leafs better now and for the foreseeable future, and allows them to continue developing either of your present goalies, or gives you enough time to draft, trade and develop someone new.
I know. I just think it's a good year for Toronto to "retool". They have a 0% chance of winning the SC this year. They have a bunch of pending UFAs up front. And given the current roster, theyre projected to finish near the bottom.

They also don't quite know what they have in Reimer/Scrivens. I don't have much hope for either of them. But it'd be a bit silly if we made a trade, and then one of them had a breakout season.

I'd like to see them sell the guys that won't be here longterm who are pending UFAs and the ones they can't resign (Lupul and Bozak for example might have longterm spots, but may not want to sign), draft one of the top forwards in the draft (unless there's a D they just can't pass on), and then go hard in free agency. We could possibly get Backstrom in free agency as well to handle the short-term goaltending needs after this season.

Versus trading for Luongo, having his big risky contract, losing something like Frattin+Kadri+2nd in terms of the "future", having him push us into a mediocre finish for the year, not good enoguh to win anything, not bad enough to draft a top prospect. Given that we'd traded for Lou, it wouldn't make much sense to be sellers, so we'd probably hold onto most or all of our pending UFAs and miss out on any value they had as well.

Logically, I just don't see the longterm benefit of bringing in Lou.

Old
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
If Colangelo was as brash, stubborn and vindictive as Burke is, he'd be gone too.

Burke got fired because a) He wasn't able to ice a playoff team (After coming in and making bold statements) b) His relationship with the media was getting worse and worse (and the owners are the owners of the media as well) c) Nonis was already doing a lot of jobs of the GM and made the transition easier.
Totally agree, which is my point. New owners firing your GM three days before the start of training camp and then having others speculate it was because of his playoff futility is pretty short-sighted. Numerous references were made yesterday to a relationship between the GM and owners. It was a power struggle, and Burke's mouth lost.

What I am saying is non-Leaf have to get off their soapbox and try to claim Burke was fired solely because of his failure to make the playoffs. He had the same record last April. There is a lot more to why he was fired now, and it has nothing to do with missing the playoffs again eight months ago.

Old
arshonagon

Quote:
honestly I think this has been the problem in Toronto with their goalies...they bring in great young talent then get them ripped to shreds for a year and their confidence is shot. The last 7 or so years has enough evidence to support this, hell they even took a calder winning goalie and destroyed him.
Not to mention that having a good veteran with a good work ethic, who is highly respected by his peers (Luongo) can really help with the development of young players. If you talk to Schnieder he attributes a lot of his success to his relationship with Luongo and learning from him.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:08 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Not to mention, the Leafs are not in any way guaranteed a playoff spot by acquiring Luongo.

The GM who trades youth and/or picks for Luongo and does not make the playoffs immediately is going to be crucified.
So now fans are demanding guarantees from the club they support? Neat. Gone are the days when fans saw getting better players as a way of giving their club a better chance to succeed.

I don't know how any fan in TO can convince themselves that having Luongo will make the Leafs no better, but it seems they're willing to try.

Old
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckless View Post
Side Note: I think Luongo Flurishes in the east coast.

The east coast is a much different game, one of less grit/net presence - both of which are the sole reason for Luongos issues.

A pure rush and shoot off the fly game will be eaten up by Luongo. He will save Toronto.
He may get worn down faster.

He's played in the East coast.. with 2 serparate teams. He faced more shots than any goaltender during those years in NYI and FLA. yet he still maintained an amazing GAA and SV % playing infront of those horrendous teams.

In 6 years, he's the Canucks leader in wins, ahead of Cloutier who benefitted from West Coast Express scoring prowess, and Kirk Mclean

He will help Toronto win games immediately.

It's stability, once you have that, Nonis can start building the team from the net out, while you develop Scrivens. It's the same thing Vancouver did with Schneider. Schneider didn't just magically appear and take Luongo's job. He was GROOMED patiently, it's the only thing Canucks scouts have gotten right in a while. Luongo iced the team while Cory developed and honed his skills in the AHL, became the best goalie there, got his call up and started to slowly transition into the starter role.

The blueprint is already there, who organized that blueprint? Nonis. He can repeat it in Toronto with similar success

Old
phillipsj89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
So in your mind, Luongo posts the same numbers with this Leaf roster than he did with the Canucks?
no, but he can steal you 6-7 games which gets you in the playoffs #boom

Old
01-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
If Colangelo was as brash, stubborn and vindictive as Burke is, he'd be gone too.

Burke got fired because a) He wasn't able to ice a playoff team (After coming in and making bold statements) b) His relationship with the media was getting worse and worse (and the owners are the owners of the media as well) c) Nonis was already doing a lot of jobs of the GM and made the transition easier.

Whether or not Burke's willingness to do a Luongo deal may or may not have been the straw that broke the camel's back but I doubt we'll ever know the truth on it.
I wont be surprised if Colangelo is gone before the season is out, unless he moves Bargs for a nice return. But thats for another thread

Old
01-10-2013, 01:10 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I know. I just think it's a good year for Toronto to "retool". They have a 0% chance of winning the SC this year. They have a bunch of pending UFAs up front. And given the current roster, theyre projected to finish near the bottom.

They also don't quite know what they have in Reimer/Scrivens. I don't have much hope for either of them. But it'd be a bit silly if we made a trade, and then one of them had a breakout season.

I'd like to see them sell the guys that won't be here longterm who are pending UFAs and the ones they can't resign (Lupul and Bozak for example might have longterm spots, but may not want to sign), draft one of the top forwards in the draft (unless there's a D they just can't pass on), and then go hard in free agency. We could possibly get Backstrom in free agency as well to handle the short-term goaltending needs after this season.

Versus trading for Luongo, having his big risky contract, losing something like Frattin+Kadri+2nd in terms of the "future", having him push us into a mediocre finish for the year, not good enoguh to win anything, not bad enough to draft a top prospect. Given that we'd traded for Lou, it wouldn't make much sense to be sellers, so we'd probably hold onto most or all of our pending UFAs and miss out on any value they had as well.

Logically, I just don't see the longterm benefit of bringing in Lou.
Spot on. I agree with everything you've written and most logical Leafs fans will as well.

Roberto is just not the right piece for the Maple Leafs at this point in time.

Old
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Losing creates winning!

Did I suggest tanking?

Trading away a good young prospect (or two!) for Luongo would hurt the Leafs further down the road.

Look, the Leafs aren't ready to compete for the Stanley Cup right now. I don't think they're in a position to start moving prospects away for a final championship piece. At least, not yet.

If the Leafs can get Luongo for peanuts then it makes sense. It doesn't make sense to sell the farm for him.

Old
colchar

Quote:
Oh yes, it was simply normal day to day business. Everything is fine in leaf land, has never been better.

New ownership often makes changes, it is actually very common. And I never claimed things have never been better for the Leafs, just that there is absolutely no indication that the new owners have already grown impatient, that they are meddling as some seem to think, or that this decision had anything to do with hockey matters (think about it - if it did why would they simply promote Nonis?). In fact, the information coming to light today indicates that he was fired because of his personality and primarily because the head guy at Bell wanted him out.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
So now fans are demanding guarantees from the club they support? Neat. Gone are the days when fans saw getting better players as a way of giving their club a better chance to succeed.

I don't know how any fan in TO can convince themselves that having Luongo will make the Leafs no better, but it seems they're willing to try.
Instead of being so condescending, why not read through all the threads and see how many Canuck fans say "Luongo gets the Leafs into the playoffs." Even the poster boy for Vancouver media. the immortal Farhan Lalji, guarantees it.

Neat, indeed.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
He may get worn down faster.

He's played in the East coast.. with 2 serparate teams. He faced more shots than any goaltender during those years in NYI and FLA. yet he still maintained an amazing GAA and SV % playing infront of those horrendous teams.

In 6 years, he's the Canucks leader in wins, ahead of Cloutier who benefitted from West Coast Express scoring prowess, and Kirk Mclean

He will help Toronto win games immediately.

It's stability, once you have that, Nonis can start building the team from the net out, while you develop Scrivens. It's the same thing Vancouver did with Schneider. Schneider didn't just magically appear and take Luongo's job. He was GROOMED patiently, it's the only thing Canucks scouts have gotten right in a while. Luongo iced the team while Cory developed and honed his skills in the AHL, became the best goalie there, got his call up and started to slowly transition into the starter role.

The blueprint is already there, who organized that blueprint? Nonis. He can repeat it in Toronto with similar success
Agreed. Just hope luongo has enough gas in the tank to get us to that point.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:12 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Burke wasn't fired because of the team's on-ice fortunes, he was fired because George Cope decided to do his best Harold Ballard impression.
If Cope had really put some effort into it he could have emulated Ballard by removing Burke's parking spot just like Ballard did with Imlach!

Old
01-10-2013, 01:12 PM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Doesn't work for me. Not enough value back for Luongo.
What works for you is irrelevant, all that matters is what works for the Canucks' management.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
What works for you is irrelevant, all that matters is what works for the Canucks' management.
and as you know they have a high price set for Luongo as well.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Guys like Bernier are the reason the Leafs were in the mess they were in when Burke took over. We don't need a backup goalie who is a "potential starter". We need the guy who outplays Jonathan Quick for his job. Or Jonathan Quick himself. That's the level of goaltending Toronto needs.
In order to attain that level of goaltending the Leafs would need to trade 10 1st round picks.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
and as you know they have a high price set for Luongo as well.
That teams most likely will not meet.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:16 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
Instead of being so condescending, why not read through all the threads and see how many Canuck fans say "Luongo gets the Leafs into the playoffs." Even the poster boy for Vancouver media. the immortal Farhan Lalji, guarantees it.

Neat, indeed.
I hate to break it to you but the team still has to play.

It's not like the Canucks have a "Free playoff admission" ticket floating around that they're willing to hand you guys.

Closed Thread