HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What Do Rangers Do With Wade Redden?

Old
01-10-2013, 01:21 PM
caley

vCash: 500
What Do Rangers Do With Wade Redden?

Bob McKenzie took the time to break down the Wade Redden situation on TSN the other night and it was kind of surprising what he figured the Rangers will eventually do with him, so I thought I'd repost it here, as I see a lot of people posting prospective Rangers' rosters with Wade Redden listed in the AHL, which is actually, per Bob, unlikely to happen.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=413185

Quote:
there's a provision in the new CBA that doesn't allow the hiding of NHL contracts in the minors, save the first $900,000. So Redden, with a cap hit of $6.5 million in each of this season and next, means the Rangers are now faced with using valuable cap space on a player who is not remotely part of coach John Tortorella's plans.
Quote:
It would be nice for the Rangers to entirely get rid of Redden's cap hit this season and next but what's behind Door No. 1 isn't an attractive option. That is, give up an asset or assets (draft picks and/or prospects) as inducements to get another team with lots of cap space to take Redden in a trade.
Quote:
Door No. 2 would be to send Redden to the AHL, absorb his $5 million-plus cap hit this season, which they have room for because teams can spend to $70M this season, and then use a compliance buyout this summer to erase the problem for next season. Compliance buyouts do not count against the salary cap.

But that route is fraught with peril. If Redden were to get hurt in the AHL this season and the injury carried over to the summer, an injured player cannot be bought out. Were that to happen, the Rangers could get saddled with Redden's full $6.5M cap hit next season and under no circumstances can they allow that to occur. Next year's cap shrinks to $64.3M and it would be a disaster if the Rangers had to account for Redden's $5M+ instead of having no cap hit on a compliance buyout.
Quote:
Which bring us to Door No. 3.

The only other option for the Rangers is to take Redden's cap hit this season but not play him. Not in New York. Not in the AHL. Not anywhere.

Put him in bubble wrap, cold storage and call it a year. Make sure his cheques show up on time and wait for the compliance buyout period this summer and cut all ties.
The one other option, not mentioned by Bob is trading Redden and absorbing some of his cap hit, but I don't think that's terribly enticing to the Rangers either.

So, for anyone putting together a roster for the Rangers this season, you're likely going to have to include Wade Redden's cap hit for the 2013 season.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Backlund

vCash: 50
Damn, I forgot about Redden and his atrocious contract.

How did he fall so far? I remember when he played on the Sens.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:24 PM
backhandsauce

Gotta feel bad for WR. I know he is getting paid big bucks and all. The Rangers shure screwed him around. I hope he gets back into the NHL at some point.

backhandsauce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:26 PM
OilCanada92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
Damn, I forgot about Redden and his atrocious contract.

How did he fall so far? I remember when he played on the Sens.
So did Sather

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:29 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Bob McKenzie took the time to break down the Wade Redden situation on TSN the other night and it was kind of surprising what he figured the Rangers will eventually do with him, so I thought I'd repost it here, as I see a lot of people posting prospective Rangers' rosters with Wade Redden listed in the AHL, which is actually, per Bob, unlikely to happen.

Which bring us to Door No. 3.

The only other option for the Rangers is to take Redden's cap hit this season but not play him. Not in New York. Not in the AHL. Not anywhere.

Put him in bubble wrap, cold storage and call it a year. Make sure his cheques show up on time and wait for the compliance buyout period this summer and cut all ties.

Is door #3 really an option, for a team expected to challenge for the SC?

In this condensed season, are they really gonna have a player on their roster and not play him at all?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:31 PM
caley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Gotta feel bad for WR. I know he is getting paid big bucks and all. The Rangers shure screwed him around. I hope he gets back into the NHL at some point.
I think it was Elliotte Friedman who said that a lot of teams would be interested in Redden on the market without his albatross contract, so if he can continue skating and staying in shape, he should get a shot at it next fall, if the Rangers do, as McKenzie suggests, mothball him and ball him out in the summer.

caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Profet

Quote:
Yeah the Rangers sure screwed him by continuing to fill his wallet with undeserved money.

No one forced him to sign that contract.

If playing in the NHL is so important to him he can certainly offer to nullify the contract and try to sign a new one with another NHL team.

Profet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Lebda Snipes

I wouldnt trade a bag of pucks for redden. NYR may have to bite the bullet on this one. Fortunate that they have the money to pay him every year he still has left. Buy out doesnt make sense as the financial penalties would cost you more. Let the guy play his last days in the AHL then send him packing.

Lebda Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Backlund

Quote:
If getting paid $6,500,000 to play in a league below your level is getting screwed, then the Rangers can screw me anytime

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
How did they screw him? They gave him a huge, undeserved contract and he managed to play his way into the AHL on a team that was lacking defensive depth for a while. The Rangers didn't send him to the minors to spite him, they did it because he wasn't a viable NHL defensemen anymore.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 0
Is the NHL going to allow a regular buy-out period prior to the start of the 2013 season?

If so, this could be the most sensible route if the Rangers need cap space. 2 years @ $3.17 million, then 2 years @ $1.67 million.

I just don't see teams lining up for Wade Redden even at half of his contract.

Stewie Griffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Redden will be getting zero playing time this year with either the Rangers or in hartford. He'll either be bought out in the summer or he can refuse to report and walk away from his contract.

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:52 PM
stranger34

Trade him to the Islanders and pay 5/6 of his salary. They love cap hits that don't come out of their pocket.

They also need D help if Vis doesn't report

stranger34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:55 PM
Profet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Trade him to the Islanders and pay 5/6 of his salary. They love cap hits that don't come out of their pocket.

As a Ranger fan, I wouldn't subject Snow to Sather. Sather would end up getting Tavares back.

Profet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:56 PM
Booba
Fier, ému and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Is door #3 really an option, for a team expected to challenge for the SC?

In this condensed season, are they really gonna have a player on their roster and not play him at all?
This issue is that if he gets hurt (and is still injured during the buyout period), the Rangers will also be stuck with him in 2013-2014.

Booba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:00 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Redden salaries in the last 2 seasons of his SPC are $5M each. Redden is owed $2.6M this season with the shortened season. His amnesty buyout is $3,333,333. He made $13M to play in the AHL. Redden can spend the rest of this winter at his home in British Columbia collecting his salary. The Rangers take a $5.6M cap hit which they can absorb with the $70.2M cap. Come June. Amnesty buyout. No risk of injury sitting at home playing with his kids.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:01 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Excuse me. Wade can walk away and terminate his SPC at anytime.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:04 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Is the NHL going to allow a regular buy-out period prior to the start of the 2013 season?

If so, this could be the most sensible route if the Rangers need cap space. 2 years @ $3.17 million, then 2 years @ $1.67 million.

I just don't see teams lining up for Wade Redden even at half of his contract.
No buyout period this week or next week.

The Rangers need the space in 13-14 and beyond with Redden completely off the cap.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Do we know yet if the compliance buyouts are restricted to the former 2-week buyout period as well? (Or post-arbitration reopener)? It seems to me they could allow the compliance buyouts to exist outside of that windowing, for the whole off-season? Although I guess from the player perspectives, they need to be cut loose prior to UFA period opening on July 1st, so it would make sense for the PA to have forced the issue and kept the compliance buyouts within the regular window.

I would "bubble-wrap" Redden per BM's suggestion, and Gomez too for the Habs, if that was the case.

The season ends May-June, and if the buyout window is just June 15-30th as before, that's not a very big injury apart. Those teams NEED to be able to buy out those contracts.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:12 PM
Kershaw

He'll sit at home and collect his paycheque this year. Then he gets amnestied.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Wait, why can't they just use the compliance buy-out on him right away? Each team gets two don't they?

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:29 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Wait, why can't they just use the compliance buy-out on him right away? Each team gets two don't they?
Because the compliance buyout doesn't start until next offseason. There's no doubt they'll do that when they can, the question is how do they deal with him until then.

01-10-2013, 02:46 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profet View Post
As a Ranger fan, I wouldn't subject Snow to Sather. Sather would end up getting Tavares back.
Yes because in the 5-6 yrs that they've both been NY gms, Sather has repeatedly schooled Snow in trades between the NYI+ NYR, So, many that I can't count them all

Old
01-10-2013, 02:47 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post

Isles will need a #4 d-man if Vis walks, not a #6-#7.

They have invited ex-Isle Radek Martinek to camp. He's more capable of playing a top 4 role, then Redden.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:02 PM
quat

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post

The one other option, not mentioned by Bob is trading Redden and absorbing some of his cap hit, but I don't think that's terribly enticing to the Rangers either.

So, for anyone putting together a roster for the Rangers this season, you're likely going to have to include Wade Redden's cap hit for the 2013 season.
Meh, if he gets injured, he goes on long term injury reserve and again the cap hit is nullified (to some degree ... ). They'll buy him out at the end of the season.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote