HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 01:16 PM
colchar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong but there's a new rule where teams can trade cap too correct?
Yes, and ironically it was Burke who pushed for that.

Quote:
Perhaps the Canucks eat a portion of Luongo's cap after the first 3-5 years of the contract.
I am sure that will come up in any discussions.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Spice Trader

Ive come to pretty much ignore TO fans who spout off about whats going to happen in the 2018 - 2019 season..Who cares... SOOO many things can happen between now and then that oppinions about a trade today should have nothing to do with it.

Lu could become a tranny and retire to pursue a career in thailand as a massues

we could land gardiner and he could have bo jackson hips and be done in 2 years.

Lu could be the rock that creates the next TO contender and lead them to the promise land with Phil the thrill hitting 50 in 50

Gardiner could become the next dan boyle...

Clear facts are luongo will impact what ever team he is traded to THIS YEAR more than the potential van gets back. Unless injury occurs.

TO needs a goalie.. badly. Lu is the best goalie available. If you dont want to pay for him thats fine. But enough with the WHAT ABOUT 6 years from now... i promise you nobody in the sports entertainment business puts much stock in 6 years from now.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebda Snipes View Post
That is probably the logic behind getting Luongo. It is probably a long shot Luo is still playing his best hockey when alot of our player reach prime age. but if he buys us a few years for riemer to develop, and gives our players some much needed playoff experiance, trading for him now is completely justifiable.
So then the GM has to decide what is fair value for Luongo. Personally, I can totally understand why no Leaf fans would want to trade a player like Gardiner, but if the teams were reversed, I'd give up Edler for Luongo ... with some misgivings because I really like Edler, but with a huge hole in net and the chance to get a guy that brings that kind of consistency to the position would be impossible to forego.

Losing because your team simply can't score enough is frustrating for sure, but losing because your clubs goalie can't make the basic saves just kills everything.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Trader View Post
Ive come to pretty much ignore TO fans who spout off about whats going to happen in the 2018 - 2019 season..Who cares... SOOO many things can happen between now and then that oppinions about a trade today should have nothing to do with it.

Lu could become a tranny and retire to pursue a career in thailand as a massues

we could land gardiner and he could have bo jackson hips and be done in 2 years.

Lu could be the rock that creates the next TO contender and lead them to the promise land with Phil the thrill hitting 50 in 50

Gardiner could become the next dan boyle...

Clear facts are luongo will impact what ever team he is traded to THIS YEAR more than the potential van gets back. Unless injury occurs.

TO needs a goalie.. badly. Lu is the best goalie available. If you dont want to pay for him thats fine. But enough with the WHAT ABOUT 6 years from now... i promise you nobody in the sports entertainment business puts much stock in 6 years from now.
The ones in sports who dont look 6 years down the line quickly find themselves out of a job.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:21 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Quote:
good point. Just thinking worst case senario i guess.
As a long time fan of the Canucks, I can sadly relate...

Old
Keeping it Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I know. I just think it's a good year for Toronto to "retool". They have a 0% chance of winning the SC this year. They have a bunch of pending UFAs up front. And given the current roster, theyre projected to finish near the bottom.

Okay, why should we sign Perry or Getzlaf or whomever next year? Without Luongo, we'll have a 0% chance of winning the cup, so we will just waste our cap space.

You've got to start somewhere. It's not about winning the cup this year. I'm not sure if you've forgotten, but Luongo would be here for a while. It's not just about next year.

Old
Holy Mackinaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I hate to break it to you but the team still has to play.

It's not like the Canucks have a "Free playoff admission" ticket floating around that they're willing to hand you guys.
True for a Stanley Cup.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
then take timonen and a prospect like cousins for edler
gross

Vancouver doesn't give players away, especially our big named ones (Lu, Edler, Kesler) why do opposing fans keep thinking this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
This is Timonen's last season. You won't want him.

Also people need to stop bringing up Cousins. No team will want a player that has a very high chance of spending time in prison.
yet some Flyers fans think they can get Edler for him

Old
01-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Did I suggest tanking?

Trading away a good young prospect (or two!) for Luongo would hurt the Leafs further down the road.

Look, the Leafs aren't ready to compete for the Stanley Cup right now. I don't think they're in a position to start moving prospects away for a final championship piece. At least, not yet.

If the Leafs can get Luongo for peanuts then it makes sense. It doesn't make sense to sell the farm for him.

It makes perfect sense.

It's been brought up before. Say you keep it as is and finish close to the bottom of the pack. Will Kessel resign? will Phaneuf when he's up? These are your key players that want to win. If you continue to lose for another 3-4 years, will they really want to reup? What are you going to do then? Are any superstars going to sign there as UFAs to bolster your team?

Why do players like Hamhuis, Garrison, Mitchell, sign lesser deals in Vancouver? because they want to win. Why is Vancouver winning? because it has good goaltending. Why does it have good goaltending? because Luongo stabilized that situation and allowed the GM to build a team around him while people like Kesler Burrows Edler Bieksa developed.

Look at the big picture, Luongo doesn't help you win the SC now, but when Luongo is long gone and retired, your prospects will have had the time to develop so that you can ice your SC contender team. Luongo at this point, probably knows he's never going to win a cup. He's just a stopgap to help a team win, keep management happy and let them develop their talent

Old
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:

That's such a short sighted view. I don't know Nonis and I don't claim to know what he's thinking. I would not trade for a player with multiple years left on a deal that runs into his early 40's just so that that Bruce Arthur writes a few inches about how awesome I am for getting the Leafs into the playoffs for the first time in a decade. I'd be more interested in building the team for long-term sustained success. I would rather not end up flash in the pan, Columbus Blue Jackets style, we made the playoffs that one time with hot goaltending so it must have been worth it.
You think Nonis expects to be the GM of the Maple Leafs in 5 years? I doubt he's that confident. I'd take the shot, since once you get in the playoffs there's a chance to win it all and the man that wins a cup in Toronto has a statue erected out front.

What is more of an ego boost than a statue?! Weeee

After saying that, Toronto needs Luongo a hell of a lot more than Vancouver does IMO. So just man up and make it happen, and put a competitive team on the ice for the fans that deserve it.

Old
LeftCoast

Quote:
The ones in sports who dont look 6 years down the line quickly find themselves out of a job.
Actually, I think the opposite is true. Everyone wants to hear that "we have a 5 year plan" and, for losing teams "we are going to be patient and build through the draft", but owners and fans are fickle at heart. What have you done for me lately?

Old
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
So now fans are demanding guarantees from the club they support? Neat. Gone are the days when fans saw getting better players as a way of giving their club a better chance to succeed.

I don't know how any fan in TO can convince themselves that having Luongo will make the Leafs no better, but it seems they're willing to try.
Luongo for futures is a huge high risk/high reward scenario. People, in the real world, are judged on performance. If the deal does not work out for Toronto, the GM who pulled the trigger on the deal will be held accountable by his employers and the media.

The problem with trading futures is that it creates a double risk. Not only might Luongo not work out, but if an asset like Gardiner/1st rounder is included, there's a chance those assets could become something big.

The Leafs could easily find themselves in a situation where they miss the playoffs, and are no closer to a rebuild as they've traded away their future assets and are stuck with Luongo long term.

There are more problems on the Leafs than just the goalie situation too.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
So then the GM has to decide what is fair value for Luongo. Personally, I can totally understand why no Leaf fans would want to trade a player like Gardiner, but if the teams were reversed, I'd give up Edler for Luongo ... with some misgivings because I really like Edler, but with a huge hole in net and the chance to get a guy that brings that kind of consistency to the position would be impossible to forego.

Losing because your team simply can't score enough is frustrating for sure, but losing because your clubs goalie can't make the basic saves just kills everything.
Valid point. And truthfully with rielly looking poised to be an NHLer sooner rather than later, personally i could jusitfy trading Gardiner for the reasons you gave. But TO manegment made it pretty clear that Gards is staying put, so it will be interesting to see what we give instead.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:24 PM
HockeyOrDie
Hockey Hockey Hockey

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Luongo rumor to Toronto won't fade. Burke wanted him bad and Nonis will push as well, but Canucks insist other teams are in play.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:25 PM
racerjoe

Few small tid bits here.

First would like to remind people that it took Cory 8 years from when he was drafted to now to become a NHL starter. Thinking Lui will block a young goalie at this point is a bit out there. As is thinking a young ace will be available for trade. They just aren't.

If you wait too long to try and get a guy, you may never have a window at all.

I am not saying get Luongo, and I don't think I have ever put Gardiner in any of my proposals, at least not serious ones. Here is the deal, there is a #1 franchise goalie available right now. He will probably stay at starters level for 5-6 years. What's that worth?

Old
01-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Lebda Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
Actually, I think the opposite is true. Everyone wants to hear that "we have a 5 year plan" and, for losing teams "we are going to be patient and build through the draft", but owners and fans are fickle at heart. What have you done for me lately?
I should elobarate. Obviously the mentality of consistently thinking 6 years down the road gets you know where. What i meant was that completely ignoring your teams well being in 6 years is a major mistake.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:30 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I know. I just think it's a good year for Toronto to "retool". They have a 0% chance of winning the SC this year. They have a bunch of pending UFAs up front. And given the current roster, theyre projected to finish near the bottom.

They also don't quite know what they have in Reimer/Scrivens. I don't have much hope for either of them. But it'd be a bit silly if we made a trade, and then one of them had a breakout season.

I'd like to see them sell the guys that won't be here longterm who are pending UFAs and the ones they can't resign (Lupul and Bozak for example might have longterm spots, but may not want to sign), draft one of the top forwards in the draft (unless there's a D they just can't pass on), and then go hard in free agency. We could possibly get Backstrom in free agency as well to handle the short-term goaltending needs after this season.

Versus trading for Luongo, having his big risky contract, losing something like Frattin+Kadri+2nd in terms of the "future", having him push us into a mediocre finish for the year, not good enoguh to win anything, not bad enough to draft a top prospect. Given that we'd traded for Lou, it wouldn't make much sense to be sellers, so we'd probably hold onto most or all of our pending UFAs and miss out on any value they had as well.

Logically, I just don't see the longterm benefit of bringing in Lou.
Fair enough ... I suppose I don't see your team in quite the same light.

If that's what you have to give up to get Luongo, it's almost nothing with regards to the immediate cost to the Leafs. I think it's far too risky to give up a season with the players on the roster at this point with the hopes of possibly landing Backstrom.

I would also say that one of your goalies now would benefit a great deal from playing along side Luongo.

Either way, there are different approaches and the one you've suggested here one way to go, it just seems much riskier than trading for LUongo. I have to say, I don't agree with all this concern about Luongo's contract. It's become extremely popular to sight this as a huge problem, but I doubt too many GM's are worried about something that MAY become and issue in five years.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Spot on. I agree with everything you've written and most logical Leafs fans will as well.

Roberto is just not the right piece for the Maple Leafs at this point in time.

So what would be the point for yourself to comment on proposals about Luongo to TOR in this thread? If there is literally _no_ interest. But not only that, go so far as saying it's the Canucks posters trying to do a "sell" job? Please explain.

To me, it's only logical that the posters here have an interest in Luongo, be it VAN fans or TOR fans.

The buzz right now is TOR's interest in Luongo, based on multiple rumours from McCowan, Mirtle, LeBrun, Cox and Maclean. Even Dreger and McKenzie have gone so far as to confirm interest. So what is the fan opinion that TOR is not interested in the face of all of that information? Can we conclude that TOR is interested from these multiple reports, even though some fans think it's not the right time?

No one is trying to sell anything here. We are all working off the reports.

Last edited by Bleach Clean: 01-10-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old
01-10-2013, 01:31 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
You think Nonis expects to be the GM of the Maple Leafs in 5 years? I doubt he's that confident. I'd take the shot, since once you get in the playoffs there's a chance to win it all and the man that wins a cup in Toronto has a statue erected out front.

What is more of an ego boost than a statue?! Weeee

After saying that, Toronto needs Luongo a hell of a lot more than Vancouver does IMO. So just man up and make it happen, and put a competitive team on the ice for the fans that deserve it.
Vancouver needs to rid themselves of Luongo a lot more than Toronto needs to add Luongo.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:31 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall;57400089[B
]Luongo for futures is a huge high risk/high reward scenario. [/B] People, in the real world, are judged on performance. If the deal does not work out for Toronto, the GM who pulled the trigger on the deal will be held accountable by his employers and the media.

The problem with trading futures is that it creates a double risk. Not only might Luongo not work out, but if an asset like Gardiner/1st rounder is included, there's a chance those assets could become something big.

The Leafs could easily find themselves in a situation where they miss the playoffs, and are no closer to a rebuild as they've traded away their future assets and are stuck with Luongo long term.

There are more problems on the Leafs than just the goalie situation too.
That goes for both sides. If the futures don't pan out Vancouver traded arguably the best goalie in the team's history for nothing.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:32 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Vancouver needs to rid themselves of Luongo a lot more than Toronto needs to add Luongo.
Yes. The team with two great goalies is in much more dire straits than the team with none.
We'd better trade Eddie Lack right now too so we don't ever end up in such a bad spot again.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Yes. The team with two great goalies is in much more dire straits than the team with none.
I wonder if people read over their posts before they post crap like that?

Old
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
Few small tid bits here.

First would like to remind people that it took Cory 8 years from when he was drafted to now to become a NHL starter. Thinking Lui will block a young goalie at this point is a bit out there. As is thinking a young ace will be available for trade. They just aren't.

If you wait too long to try and get a guy, you may never have a window at all.

I am not saying get Luongo, and I don't think I have ever put Gardiner in any of my proposals, at least not serious ones. Here is the deal, there is a #1 franchise goalie available right now. He will probably stay at starters level for 5-6 years. What's that worth?
Well to be fair, it's more like 6.. Lockout x 2

I think Scrivens will benefit having someone like Luongo, someone who can mentor him, prepare him mentally for the challenges of playing in a hockey mad city, possibly even face more pressure than fans in Vancouver. These are intangibles that make Luongo enticing to a team. You're not getting him as a piece to win SC, you're getting him for everything else he brings.

Old
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Ray Ferraro mentions Couturier as a possible piece coming back.

....right.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:35 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
I wonder if people read over their posts before they post crap like that?
I know.
Can you imagine being poor Pittsburgh when they had Crosby, Malkin and Staal.

Closed Thread