HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: We'll Have A Gay Old Time

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Shockmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Yeah I know. I thought they were going to cut Ta'amu this season. I don't know about Harrison.

Just too much stupidity, I thought the Steelers had higher moral values than that.
Nope. They're just like every other NFL team.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Flat Stanley

Yeah, I guess the Steelers don't value how their players act anymore.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:11 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Yeah, I guess the Steelers don't value how their players act anymore.
Not really directed at you, but the farce that they were somehow different than other teams is silly.

Ernie Holmes shot at a helicopter.

The 70's teams are among those who, allegedly, introduced steroids to the sport.

I love the Steelers, but the idea they are somehow above the fray in most of the seedy side of the game, is pretty easily disputed. If ESPN existed in the 70's, the idea probably would never exist.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Rainey will get a few more strikes before he's gone. He needs to get his act together though.

I do agree that they aren't much better than any other team when it comes to behavior. It's tough to just get rid of everybody that misbehaves though. They wouldn't have won the Super Bowl a few years ago if they got rid of Harrison and they would probably be one of the worst teams in all of football if they got rid of Roethlisberger after his off-field issues.

Steroids go back further than the 70's Steelers and they were by no means the only team doing it in the 70's. That doesn't right their wrong since they were also doing it but guys didn't know as much about steroids back then.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Pfnf

Pittsburgh Steelers ‏@steelers
We have waived RB Chris Rainey.

there you go

Old
01-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfnf View Post
We have waived RB Chris Rainey.

there you go
Perhaps now that Dan Rooney is back the Steelers aren't going to put up with these young guys acting like punks anymore.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

^ Wow. A bit surprised they had such a quick trigger with him but I don't blame them either. They are probably trying to send a message to their other iffy character guys like Adams that they won't tolerate much these days.

They definitely need to draft or sign a RB now though.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Steelers GM Kevin Colbert “Under the circumstances and due to this conduct, Chris will no longer be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers.”
I think it was the right move.

Mendenhall, Dwyer, Redman, Batch. Do they try to re-sign all them and not draft a RB?

Old
01-10-2013, 02:38 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Not saying that the Steelers don't employ the ol' double standard with different players when it comes to this stuff, but doesn't Rainey have a bit of a history? Could swear that he was charged with threatening to kill his girlfriend at UF. I definitely remember him getting kicked off the team before Meyer brought him back.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:42 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Definitely have to draft a RB or sign a UFA one. I don't think they have the answer at the RB position on their roster right now. All their current RB's look like complimentary guys at best and they lost a very good kick returner in Rainey that they now have to replace too.

Still some inconsistencies with the Steelers that bug me some. I think what Ta'amu did was as bad or worse and he's still on the team. Granted he got waived but was immediately put on the PS and then back on the 53 man roster at the end of the year.

Like others said, Rainey did have a history of threatening another gf in college though.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:59 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Rainey will get a few more strikes before he's gone. He needs to get his act together though.

I do agree that they aren't much better than any other team when it comes to behavior. It's tough to just get rid of everybody that misbehaves though. They wouldn't have won the Super Bowl a few years ago if they got rid of Harrison and they would probably be one of the worst teams in all of football if they got rid of Roethlisberger after his off-field issues.

Steroids go back further than the 70's Steelers and they were by no means the only team doing it in the 70's. That doesn't right their wrong since they were also doing it but guys didn't know as much about steroids back then.
I'm not even saying the should immediately drop every player who does something that the fans deem a fireable offense, whether domestic abuse or jaywalking.

It's the myth that this is a new occurance.

Waiting for the "Tomlin lost control of this team...never happened under Cowher and Noll"

Old
01-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Sivek

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
Not saying that the Steelers don't employ the ol' double standard with different players when it comes to this stuff, but doesn't Rainey have a bit of a history? Could swear that he was charged with threatening to kill his girlfriend at UF. I definitely remember him getting kicked off the team before Meyer brought him back.
Pretty sure he was arrested for stalking before his most recent digression. Don't know the specifics, just remembered it from when he was drafted.

Rainey must of not been in the cards for next year's roster if they waived him since the team doesn't really care what the players do off-field, unless Dan Rooney was behind the move.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Omnomnomnom

Wasn't Rainey the one who sent the 'time to die' text to his girlfriend or something?

Old
01-10-2013, 03:18 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Well, we need to draft a RB in the 2nd round this year now.

1. BPA (Warmack, Hankins, Ogletree)
2. Eddie Lacy (Alabama)
3. John Simon (Ohio State)
4. S
5. CB
6. WR

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
01-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

It doesn't have to be 2nd round but they will need to draft a RB unless they make a rare UFA signing.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:23 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
I'm not even saying the should immediately drop every player who does something that the fans deem a fireable offense, whether domestic abuse or jaywalking.

It's the myth that this is a new occurance.

Waiting for the "Tomlin lost control of this team...never happened under Cowher and Noll"
Agreed.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:28 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Probably set up by Rashard Mendenhall, in a plot to keep his spot on the roster.
Jon Dwyer and Ike Redman, consider yourselves warned!

Old
01-10-2013, 03:34 PM
djt153

re: ta'amu id imagine he is presently undergoing treatment. there hasnt been any official diagnosis that ive seen, but alcoholism is a disease as opposed to simply being a *******.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
Probably set up by Rashard Mendenhall, in a plot to keep his spot on the roster.
Jon Dwyer and Ike Redman, consider yourselves warned!

Yeah, I kind of want to move on from Mendy myself but this may make that a bit harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djt153 View Post
re: ta'amu id imagine he is presently undergoing treatment. there hasnt been any official diagnosis that ive seen, but alcoholism is a disease as opposed to simply being a *******.
Possibly. I know he still faces many legal issues over the incident. I think there's still a good chance the Steelers may cut bait with him. Depends on how his legal issues go, whether Hampton is brought back, what they get in the draft. They also like McClendon and brought in Hebron Fangupo late in the year who's a NT project. Seems like they have some options at that position.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Flat Stanley

They might draft a NT in the 1st round, I've read mocks that had the Steelers drafting NT Hankins from OSU, sounds like a Steeler type of draft pick.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
They might draft a NT in the 1st round, I've read mocks that had the Steelers drafting NT Hankins from OSU, sounds like a Steeler type of draft pick.
Certainly seems like the 1st round is deep with NT's. I've seen Jesse Williams from Alabama and John Jenkins from Georgia mocked to us as well.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:02 PM
djt153

not a lot of luck drafting defensive linemen of late, though heyward and hood were basically second round picks. regardless, need much more impact and much sooner from a #17 pick than those two have provided.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Certainly seems like the 1st round is deep with NT's. I've seen Jesse Williams from Alabama and John Jenkins from Georgia mocked to us as well.
Yeah and with Hampton questionable to return, Ta'amu having his issues. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Steelers go NT in the 1st round.

Now for the Pittsburgh Pirates,

Quote:
John Perrotto ‏@jperrotto
Hearing that #Pirates are now "kicking the tires" on free agent LHP Joe Saunders.
If that's true, I guess the Pirates are prepared to not sign Liriano.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by djt153 View Post
not a lot of luck drafting defensive linemen of late, though heyward and hood were basically second round picks. regardless, need much more impact and much sooner from a #17 pick than those two have provided.
I think Heyward will be good once he becomes a starter. He's just stuck behind a good veteran in Brett Keisel right now.

Ziggy Hood is serviceable and like you said was basically a 2nd rounder. IMO the Steelers forced the Hood pick out of need because they so desperately needed a young D-Line body at that time with Keisel, Hampton, Smith, Hoke, Eason and Kirschke all over 30.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnomnomnom View Post
Wasn't Rainey the one who sent the 'time to die' text to his girlfriend or something?
Ya I believe that was him.

I wasn't a big fan of him this season, even if he had some nice returns.

His hands were garbage and he never showed much out of the backfield.

Closed Thread