HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

One of your top 4 D-men to Minnesota

Old
01-10-2013, 01:10 PM
VegasSabreFan

vCash: 500
Jordan Leopold, Brayden McNabb, Pat Kaleta and a 5th for Cullen and Clutterbuck

VegasSabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Mubiki

Im perplexed at why all the Minnesota trade threads are focused on D-Men.

Last year Minnesota was 13th in GAA. Thats taking into account our atrocious offense, which had pitiful offensive zone time and forced Minnesota's defense to attempt to score them back into games instead of playing D. All things considered, our defense is not terrible at all.

Suter is essentially an upgrade to all three pairings after depth chart flow, and Brodin will likely make the nhl roster. That is two obvious upgrades to a team already in the top half of the league; our situation is not nearly as dire as most make it out to be.

Mubiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
SaintAnthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubiki View Post
Im perplexed at why all the Minnesota trade threads are focused on D-Men.

Last year Minnesota was 13th in GAA. Thats taking into account our atrocious offense, which had pitiful offensive zone time and forced Minnesota's defense to attempt to score them back into games instead of playing D. All things considered, our defense is not terrible at all.

Suter is essentially an upgrade to all three pairings after depth chart flow, and Brodin will likely make the nhl roster. That is two obvious upgrades to a team already in the top half of the league; our situation is not nearly as dire as most make it out to be.
Brodin won't make roster as he's hurt and hasn't played much this year. That leaves us with Falk Stoner Prosser in the lineup. Don't kid yourself the Wild need need an upgrade on defense to take the next step.

SaintAnthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:25 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

I think the Devils would be very interested in Jason Zucker, but I doubt Minnesota moves him right now. As for a deal that could actually happen, Tallinder could be a great mentor for Marco Scandella, and he could be had for a decent top-9 winger who can score a bit.

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Mubiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay33 View Post
Brodin won't make roster as he's hurt and hasn't played much this year. That leaves us with Falk Stoner Prosser in the lineup. Don't kid yourself the Wild need need an upgrade on defense to take the next step.
The Wild lie just barely outside the top 10 for goals against in the league. We already added one player who instantly becomes the best defender on the team hands down. Our current crop of defenders as already show that they can at least compete at the nhl level, and they will most likely still improve a bit.

We finished bottom five in every single offensive category. I am perfectly aware of the problems the Minnesota Wild have, and defense isn't even close to the top.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:40 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
The Wild lie just barely outside the top 10 for goals against in the league. We already added one player who instantly becomes the best defender on the team hands down. Our current crop of defenders as already show that they can at least compete at the nhl level, and they will most likely still improve a bit.

We finished bottom five in every single offensive category. I am perfectly aware of the problems the Minnesota Wild have, and defense isn't even close to the top.
The way i see it the Wild are very close to the top. Last year before injuries they were at the top. Adding two studs like Parise and Suter put them back there. I don't know how much salary you can take on but i'm guessing you have to be near the cap.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Mubiki

Right now, patience is the key for the Wild. They have drastically improved in the off-season, and have a ton of good looking prospects on the brink of being nhl ready.

The only trade I think should be explored is trying to get some value, if any, out of PMB. I think he is the odd man out in Minnesota's plans going forward. I would have said Backstrom too, but the uncertainty surrounding Harding just made him much more valuable.

If PMB can get us a defensive upgrade, so be it. I highly doubt he can fetch one on his own, and I wouldnt want to package more offense with him as a + to get defensive help. That basically leaves a defense for defense swap with Bouchard being the + as the only viable option. I dont see that happening anywhere.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:59 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:

I can get behind some of what you're saying. But not completely.

In my opinion Suter, Spurgeon, and Gilbert are all very capable players anywhere in the top 4 and you're going to get a consistent effort from all three most every night. Beyond that, it's far too much uncertainty. It's essentially a collective of players who have a tough time being dependable on shift to shift basis; let alone being able to expect them to be healthy on any given game (looking at Stoner, Scandella, Falk).

I also want to see what the back end looks like moving the puck this season. The past two years they've been brutal as a unit and Spurgeon was really the only one last year who proved he could control the puck. Which also played a large role in why they were hemmed in so often.

I do agree that the offense is lacking, however, I think the Wild want to see how the current players under contract throughout the organization fill that void before making another move. Much less depth on defense to depend on, especially immediate depth.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Mubiki

I can agree with that assessment. Ill admit Im pretty high on scandella, and I believe he will turn the corner this season and be very capable in the top 4.

I was hoping Brodin would be ready for 3rd pairing minutes this season, and its looking more and more like he wont be. I would have been fine with a Brodin and Prosser/Stoner/Falk combination as a third pairing this year.

Im not opposed to a trade to improve the defense at all, especially if it works out splendidly for both teams. I just see Cullen and PMB as the two up front that are the least valuable to us, and they are both near impossible to move on their own. And with our recent offensive woes, I cringe at the thought of trading any of our top 4 offensive prospects unless its a blatant overpayment. Not because I think they are all untradable, but because I know it can be random and I like our odds much better keeping all 4. Right now just isnt a good time for the Wild to trade.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

In my opinion Suter, Spurgeon, and Gilbert are all very capable players anywhere in the top 4 and you're going to get a consistent effort from all three most every night. Beyond that, it's far too much uncertainty. It's essentially a collective of players who have a tough time being dependable on shift to shift basis; let alone being able to expect them to be healthy on any given game (looking at Stoner, Scandella, Falk).

I also want to see what the back end looks like moving the puck this season. The past two years they've been brutal as a unit and Spurgeon was really the only one last year who proved he could control the puck. Which also played a large role in why they were hemmed in so often.

I do agree that the offense is lacking, however, I think the Wild want to see how the current players under contract throughout the organization fill that void before making another move. Much less depth on defense to depend on, especially immediate depth.
I think I'd add Stoner in as the 4th d-man we can count on (when he's healthy). He plays with a physical edge, doesn't make too many stupid mistakes, and I just like what he brings to the table as a 3rd pairing guy. I feel confident putting Stoner in the line-up every night.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:18 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
(when he's healthy)
I'd say that's why you can't count on him. Because he never is.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:20 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Something around Leopold for Brodziak or Clutterbuck would intrigue me. After all, Leopold is a Minnesota guy

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:24 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Something around Leopold for Brodziak or Clutterbuck would intrigue me. After all, Leopold is a Minnesota guy
We just signed Brodziak to an extension and we love having him as our 3rd line center, he isn't going anywhere. The jury is still out on Clutter, but I see us re-signing him.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:37 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Just throwing it out there...

No to any former Gopher defenders. Just covering the bases and all.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:39 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

What would you guys give up for Paul Martin?

(Former Minnesota Gopher)

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
N.Schultz for Brodin

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:41 PM
99 steps
to the top

Hjalmarrson + Frolik for Cullen

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:46 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
you paid 100 million for Suter and you still need a top 4?

we'll give you Kevin Klein for Parise
We need a stop gap until Brodin and Dumba are ready. Brodin is close, but injured. Dumba is still two or three out probably.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
N.Schultz for Brodin

Old
01-10-2013, 03:03 PM
ThatGuy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

Im of the opinion we just need to hold pat, and see what Falk and Scandella can do and what they provide going forward. Both are still very young. Not uncommen for young D to be inconsistent. We need to see if one or both can take the next step in their development.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:04 PM
bbgarnett

Min

Tyler Cuma

Brett Bulmer

Cody Almond

2013 6th

Car

Joni Pitkanen

Jaroslav Spacek

2013 4th

bbgarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:11 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Nobody wants Cuma, Almond or a 6th rounder.

Last edited by Dr Jan Itor: 01-10-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:16 PM
rockinghockey

Unfortunately most teams are looking for a top 4 dman.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
N.Schultz for Brodin
C'mon, really? Are you just trying to rile us up?

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:05 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

vCash: 523
Clutterbuck, Phillips, + for MDZ.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote