HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

What Do Rangers Do With Wade Redden?

Old
01-10-2013, 03:06 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
Meh, if he gets injured, he goes on long term injury reserve and again the cap hit is nullified (to some degree ... ). They'll buy him out at the end of the season.
Can't buy out an injured player. If we are stuck with him next season and he is still injured, we could put him in IR, but would be screwed if he came back during the season.

There's no way Redden is going to play for either the Rangers or the Hartford Whale. His only options are sit at home and collect a check, or void his contract and try to get a job somewhere else.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Looks like MSG will have the world's first most expensive waterboy.

Unless the Habs do this to Gomez.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
Meh, if he gets injured, he goes on long term injury reserve and again the cap hit is nullified (to some degree ... ). They'll buy him out at the end of the season.
Buyouts are a limited time offer only. If Redden was cleared at any point during next season, New York has to deal with his obscene cap. They absolutely cannot afford that.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:09 PM
pld459666

Guys, Redden is not a concern.

Please see this:

www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=NYR

That shows the Rangers with Salary Cap hit of 58.7 (rounded up)

Putting Sauer's contract on the LTIR will further reduce that to 57.5 (or increase our spending ability to 71.4

The team can spend up to 70.2 for this season.

As evidenced above, there is more than enough room to re-sign MDZ, eat Redden's 5.6 dead space and bring in an extra forward.

Now, if you want proof of this, please see the next link:

http://www.capgeek.com/rangers/

This demonstrates that WITH the Drury AND Reddens dead cap space, we will have 5+ million to re-sign MDZ and this takes into consideration a 13th forward (Haley)

After this season, Redden is bought out and then the fun starts. The Rangers will have 12.5 million to resign Stepan, Hagelin and McDonagh.

The Cap is not going to be an issue for the Rangers this season.

As to the answer for What do the Rangers do with Redden? Press Box here or in Hartford. Either way, he's not playing.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:10 PM
eco's bones

The Rangers screwed him?--more like he's screwed the Rangers. He spent two years going through the motions sucking so bad he wound up in the AHL and he continues to draw his full paycheck. He's not NHL worthy--not close to capable of beating out anyone on the current Rangers roster including Bickel, Eminger, Gilroy. Should we play him anyway?--just because of his contract? and because he use to be a great player?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

If Del Zotto is playing right side with Staal I'd play Redden with Eminger or Gilroy on 3rd pairing. Anything's better than Stu Bickel. I'd assign a couple trainers to making sure he stays healthy and give him very sheltered minutes.

Veteran leadership is great for SC contenders.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Sharks4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Guys, Redden is not a concern.

Please see this:

www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=NYR

That shows the Rangers with Salary Cap hit of 58.7 (rounded up)

Putting Sauer's contract on the LTIR will further reduce that to 57.5 (or increase our spending ability to 71.4

The team can spend up to 70.2 for this season.

As evidenced above, there is more than enough room to re-sign MDZ, eat Redden's 5.6 dead space and bring in an extra forward.

Now, if you want proof of this, please see the next link:

http://www.capgeek.com/rangers/

This demonstrates that WITH the Drury AND Reddens dead cap space, we will have 5+ million to re-sign MDZ and this takes into consideration a 13th forward (Haley)

After this season, Redden is bought out and then the fun starts. The Rangers will have 12.5 million to resign Stepan, Hagelin and McDonagh.

The Cap is not going to be an issue for the Rangers this season.

As to the answer for What do the Rangers do with Redden? Press Box here or in Hartford. Either way, he's not playing.
While i'm not trying to argue with you about the rangers cap situation... hockeybuzz is not calculated correctly and doesn't account for the cap hit for redden which means that your figure is already inaccurate.

Sharks4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:48 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks4Life View Post
While i'm not trying to argue with you about the rangers cap situation... hockeybuzz is not calculated correctly and doesn't account for the cap hit for redden which means that your figure is already inaccurate.
Aside from excluding the Redden hit. What does Hockeybuzz have listed that is incorrect?

And even if you add the 6.5 hit to Hockeybuzz numbers, it jumps from 58.8 to 65.3 still leaving the Rangers 4.9 to play with for this season.

Once they get to that 4.9, then then assign Sauer to the LTIR and can spend beyond the 70.2 up to and not exceed Sauers hit.

Either way, the Rangers are more than fine.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:26 PM
boredmale

Trade him to the Islanders for Future Considerations and in June the Future Considerations is Rick Dipietro(who they can buy out)

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:49 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Trade him to the Islanders for Future Considerations and in June the Future Considerations is Rick Dipietro(who they can buy out)
Now there's a guy who needs to be bubble wrapped

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:53 PM
id4joey

Park him. Pay him to stay home and buy him out next year. Same with Gomez in Montreal.

id4joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:04 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
Now there's a guy who needs to be bubble wrapped
The bubble wrap popping against his skin would likely cause bruising, putting him out for 2-3 months.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:22 PM
TheFinalWord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profet View Post
If playing in the NHL is so important to him he can certainly offer to nullify the contract and try to sign a new one with another NHL team.
He can't do that. Unless something has changed in the new CBA, you can't renegotiate an existing contract.

TheFinalWord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:40 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord View Post
He can't do that. Unless something has changed in the new CBA, you can't renegotiate an existing contract.
How exactly would he be renegotiating an existing contract with a new team...

Championship* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:45 PM
MadFlava

Will anyone trying to reach the cap floor be willing to take his salary?

MadFlava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:15 PM
schenneuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profet View Post
Yeah the Rangers sure screwed him by continuing to fill his wallet with undeserved money.

No one forced him to sign that contract.

If playing in the NHL is so important to him he can certainly offer to nullify the contract and try to sign a new one with another NHL team.
What an absurd comment. Are you telling me that if someone offered you that type of contract, you might say "Gee, I don't think I should sign that. Maybe I will look to sign with another team for much less money." Or if you had signed the contract and were in Redden's situation, you would go to Sather and say "I think I will void that contract for you and see if someone else will sign me for alot less money." Don't think so! COME ON, GET REAL!!!! Glen Sather is the one the Rangers should be trying to get rid of.

schenneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by schenneuf View Post
What an absurd comment. Are you telling me that if someone offered you that type of contract, you might say "Gee, I don't think I should sign that. Maybe I will look to sign with another team for much less money." Or if you had signed the contract and were in Redden's situation, you would go to Sather and say "I think I will void that contract for you and see if someone else will sign me for alot less money." Don't think so! COME ON, GET REAL!!!! Glen Sather is the one the Rangers should be trying to get rid of.
If I sign a contract and then don't live up to it, I shouldn't be surprised when I'm fired.

Yeah, Sather is who needs to go. The guy who brought us McDonaugh, Nash, Richards, Lundqvist, Kreider, Callahan....yeah he should go.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:28 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

Call me crazy and I'm gonna catch flak for this, but I got a funny feeling that we might see Wade in a Rangers uniform this season.

With Sauer possibly missing this entire season (who knows at this point) and Torts lack of faith in Bickel (deservedly so), I feel like Redden could end up playing games for the Rangers at some point this season.

The Amity Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Call me crazy and I'm gonna catch flak for this, but I got a funny feeling that we might see Wade in a Rangers uniform this season.

With Sauer possibly missing this entire season (who knows at this point) and Torts lack of faith in Bickel (deservedly so), I feel like Redden could end up playing games for the Rangers at some point this season.
He just has to beat out Bickel, Emminger and probably also Gilroy on the depth chart...
Tort's hates the guy, not happening.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:40 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyutinMyOwnHorn View Post
The bubble wrap popping against his skin would likely cause bruising, putting him out for 2-3 months.
Given the age of those guys, it would be a perfect time to get a four or six month surgery to clean up shoulder or knee problems. If they want to bubble wrap me that is what I tell them. If you don't allow me to play I can make this difficult on you, maybe they can maybe they can't. But most hockey players that age carry some toll from playing all those years that they can play as a trump card in this scenario. They need to play if they have any hopes of securing a job elsewhere. Believe it or not some teams would be interested in Redden for a million bucks next year, we have heard that report several times. He will get the NHLPA to file a grievance on his behalf if the mothball plan is inacted, especially if it isn't to fly around with the big club in nice hotels and planes. No way does he accept a benching at the AHL level.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Given the age of those guys, it would be a perfect time to get a four or six month surgery to clean up shoulder or knee problems. If they want to bubble wrap me that is what I tell them. They need to play if they have any hopes of securing a job elsewhere. Believe it or not some teams would be interested in Redden for a million bucks next year, we have heard that report several times. He will get the NHLPA to file a grievance on his behalf if the mothball plan is inacted, especially if it isn't to fly around with the big club in nice hotels and planes. No way does he accept a benching at the AHL level.
If that's the case then Wade is more than welcome to not report and void his contract and go sign with those teams. Otherwise he can wait till the summer till he gets his buy out.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:05 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Aside from excluding the Redden hit. What does Hockeybuzz have listed that is incorrect?

And even if you add the 6.5 hit to Hockeybuzz numbers, it jumps from 58.8 to 65.3 still leaving the Rangers 4.9 to play with for this season.

Once they get to that 4.9, then then assign Sauer to the LTIR and can spend beyond the 70.2 up to and not exceed Sauers hit.

Either way, the Rangers are more than fine.
You're missing the point. It isn't about this year, both the Rangers and Habs have plenty of room for this year, keeping Gomez and Redden. It's about next year, and the necessity of being able to buy them out for next season, when the cap drops to $64.3M.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:43 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
You're missing the point. It isn't about this year, both the Rangers and Habs have plenty of room for this year, keeping Gomez and Redden. It's about next year, and the necessity of being able to buy them out for next season, when the cap drops to $64.3M.
I think you got things mixed up.

The huy I replied to mentioned that the Hockeybuzz numbers were wrong cause they didn't include Redden.

So I did and it is STILL not going to be an issue.

Teams have TWO compliance amnesty buyouts allowed to them which means that we can absorb the hit this year, then buy him out and next year he's not an issue either.

There's no scenario in which Redden becomes an issue cap wise next year unless he plays and gets hurt.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:45 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Given the age of those guys, it would be a perfect time to get a four or six month surgery to clean up shoulder or knee problems. If they want to bubble wrap me that is what I tell them. If you don't allow me to play I can make this difficult on you, maybe they can maybe they can't. But most hockey players that age carry some toll from playing all those years that they can play as a trump card in this scenario. They need to play if they have any hopes of securing a job elsewhere. Believe it or not some teams would be interested in Redden for a million bucks next year, we have heard that report several times. He will get the NHLPA to file a grievance on his behalf if the mothball plan is inacted, especially if it isn't to fly around with the big club in nice hotels and planes. No way does he accept a benching at the AHL level.
Perfect, 4-6 month injury would be healed just in time to buy him out in July, you know 7 months from now.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
There's no scenario in which Redden becomes an issue cap wise next year unless he plays and gets hurt.
But... that's the whole point of this entire thread, actually. Right there. That's why REDDEN IS A CONCERN. Just as Gomez is for the Habs.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote