HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Martin Trade or Buyout? (if there's a season)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2013, 02:15 PM
  #401
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,289
vCash: 500
Not only is Tangradi capable of being the front-of-the-net presence on the power play, but we had a guy named Staal here for years and we never used him 5-on-4, only 5-on-3. So who's to say Bylsma would even use Malone in front of the net if we got him? He'd have to sit Kunitz down, and he just might not do it.

I don't know. For me, the Malone train left the station. Nice guy. Very good Penguin during his time. He left for more money. He's no longer the player he once was. Let's leave him in Tampa.

If we're talking Tampa Bay, let's talk about some of their great talent in Syracuse (or in the junior ranks). They're littered with wingers that could help us: Richard Panik, Ondrej Palat, Cory Conacher, Brett Connolly, Nikita Kucherov.

Now we're talking.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:51 PM
  #402
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!
 
Dovahkiin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bethel Park,PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Not only is Tangradi capable of being the front-of-the-net presence on the power play, but we had a guy named Staal here for years and we never used him 5-on-4, only 5-on-3. So who's to say Bylsma would even use Malone in front of the net if we got him? He'd have to sit Kunitz down, and he just might not do it.

I don't know. For me, the Malone train left the station. Nice guy. Very good Penguin during his time. He left for more money. He's no longer the player he once was. Let's leave him in Tampa.

If we're talking Tampa Bay, let's talk about some of their great talent in Syracuse (or in the junior ranks). They're littered with wingers that could help us: Richard Panik, Ondrej Palat, Cory Conacher, Brett Connolly, Nikita Kucherov.

Now we're talking.
I think his father being in Tampa's management helped him decide as well.

Dovahkiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:03 PM
  #403
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 17,817
vCash: 500
Malone's still a top 6 player. Not like his game is based on speed. He was excellent for Tampa in the postseason 2 years ago. He has plenty of hockey left in him.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:12 PM
  #404
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,715
vCash: 500
I don't get this "not the same player anymore" sentiment with Malone. At least from offensive production, he's produced very consistently. In fact, his PPG as a Lightning (0.68) is higher than as a Pen (0.57). He's a 20-25 goal 45 point guy. Other than injuries (where he played in 38 less games over 4 years as a Lightning vs a Pen which I'd hardly call a big issue), what makes him lesser of a player?

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:17 PM
  #405
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,289
vCash: 500
He has averaged 65 games as a Bolt, and he's now 33. Sure, for a 48-game schedule that might work, but then again he's the MOST likely player to go down again if they have to do a lot of 3 games in 4 nights.

He's not the same player, because he always misses time now. Always.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:30 PM
  #406
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
He has averaged 65 games as a Bolt, and he's now 33. Sure, for a 48-game schedule that might work, but then again he's the MOST likely player to go down again if they have to do a lot of 3 games in 4 nights.

He's not the same player, because he always misses time now. Always.
Fair enough. He's certainly not ideal, but I'd take him if we were looking to shed salary elsewhere (Martin). When he's healthy, he's every bit of the player he was. I would take 65 games of Malone over 82 games of whoever the hell grinder Bylsma will put with Geno.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:38 PM
  #407
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Fair enough. He's certainly not ideal, but I'd take him if we were looking to shed salary elsewhere (Martin). When he's healthy, he's every bit of the player he was. I would take 65 games of Malone over 82 games of whoever the hell grinder Bylsma will put with Geno.
Well, a Malone for Martin deal is not going to happen...it's going to cost us more than we wish to spend for Malone. Let's not forget, the Bolts are contenders. They don't want to make us any better if they can help it.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:41 PM
  #408
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Well, a Malone for Martin deal is not going to happen...it's going to cost us more than we wish to spend for Malone. Let's not forget, the Bolts are contenders. They don't want to make us any better if they can help it.
Yeah I personally don't see the deal happening either. I was just commenting that I think Malone is still a very good hockey player and fits a need on our roster.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:00 PM
  #409
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 33,779
vCash: 500
Malone would improve our team. He's not my first choice, but he'd be a welcome addition to our team.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:12 PM
  #410
wgknestrick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Gotta play devils advocate here..

We haven't had a guy that could play in front of the net on the PP since Guerin left in 2009... oddly enough, we haven't advanced past the 2nd round in the post-season since then.

Whether you want to admit it or not, having a guy who can play in front of the net is a key ingredient to a successful team.

Plain and simple: the Penguins need a guy who can play in front of the net and aggravate the opposing team's goalie. We haven't had a guy like that since Guerin/Malone. When you have someone disrupting things in front of the net, it screens the goalie and opens up space for our playmakers.

Remember the playoff series against Tampa? 1 for 35.

It's time to change things up and bringing in Malone would be a breath of fresh air.
Have you seen MAF's SV% in any of those series? Not above .900. Tampa was minus Crosby and Malkin so that doesn't count.

Sure, the reason we lost is we couldn't score on PP. Yes, the pens could use a better front net presence, but to even think that is the reason they have been eliminated 3 straight years is stretching it.

I just watched the highlights of the entire 09 DET/PEN final today on NHL network. MAF was horrible there too outside of 2 games. Pens won despite his sloppy play.

This team will be scary if they ever get solid (.918+) goaltending.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:44 PM
  #411
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,535
vCash: 500
I'm indifferent about trading for Malone. He's the right guy to help the PP but his cap hit may prevent the Pens from getting Sid a more skilled winger or Letang a better partner on D so I think there's an argument for and against acquiring him.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:47 AM
  #412
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,754
vCash: 500
I think Malone's wheels are wobbling and are about to fall off. It'd be nice to have him back, as putting him on the left side with Geno and Neal makes a ton of sense, but the guy can't stay healthy.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:19 AM
  #413
Richard
Registered User
 
Richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
Have you seen MAF's SV% in any of those series? Not above .900. Tampa was minus Crosby and Malkin so that doesn't count.

Sure, the reason we lost is we couldn't score on PP. Yes, the pens could use a better front net presence, but to even think that is the reason they have been eliminated 3 straight years is stretching it.

I just watched the highlights of the entire 09 DET/PEN final today on NHL network. MAF was horrible there too outside of 2 games. Pens won despite his sloppy play.

This team will be scary if they ever get solid (.918+) goaltending.
Amen. Watching many of the '09 series games over the extended offseason made me see how poorly MAF is and was. It seems like that '09 playoff run was a fluke.

If Fleury can't get it together this season and be a top ten goalie I'd trade for a guy like Kippersoft and move away from Fleury. This is Fleury's "prime" and he is a pretty bad starting goalie.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.