Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

2012-13 WHL Regular Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 10:26 PM
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon

vCash: 500
Back to some updates. I got to listen to the Oil Kings game tonight and is was nothing short of a nail biter and dissapointment. The Oil Kings took on the Red Hot Kootenay Ice on the road and fell to the hands of them 2-1. T.J. Foster tallied his 19th of the season for us but it wasn't enough as we failed to score another. Laurent Brossoit was very solid stopping 30/32 shots and youngin Snapski was good for them to stopping 32/33. That loss hurt a bit as we fall behind the Hitmen by 1 point as they blewout the Wheat Kings tonight 7-2 but we can still bounce back up, it has after all been a back and forth fight. Our next game is Friday VS. the Hurricanes.

The Rebels also face off against the Broncos tomorrow. We have sliped a bit and have getting back to are old habits at the start of the year so let's snap out of it and get a big 'W'.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:49 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
That seems kind of strange. Looking like they will be hard pressed to make the playoffs. Could be in last place in the EC after tonight. I wonder if they made a deal with him not to move him?

Nice to see he was back in the lineup tonight though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredCowenFan View Post
Looks like the Wheaties won't be moving Ferland. Today the Wheat Kings finalized there rosters releasing there 4th 20 year old overager, Ryley Miller.

http://www.whl.ca/article/veteran-blueliner-released
Another way to look at it is that the Wheat Kings have opened up to all the teams to trade with now as they can take a 20yr old back in the trade. If they kept the other overage they would only be able to trade with the few teams that have only 2 overagers.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:08 AM
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Another way to look at it is that the Wheat Kings have opened up to all the teams to trade with now as they can take a 20yr old back in the trade. If they kept the other overage they would only be able to trade with the few teams that have only 2 overagers.
Ahh, yes. Good point.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:42 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Good point.

We will see shortly I suppose, one way or the other.

Old
01-09-2013, 01:31 PM
I am the Liquor

Oil Kings acquire Trevor Cheek from the Vancouver Giants for a second round pick.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:23 PM
tv14

vCash: 50
Hurricanes acquire dman Mike Simpson from Kootenay for a 5th rounder. Looks to be a good pickup. He is 6'4" and shut down guy. 'Canes needed help back there considering they had 5'9" forward Michael Sofilas playing defence recently.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:22 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
Hurricanes acquire dman Mike Simpson from Kootenay for a 5th rounder. Looks to be a good pickup. He is 6'4" and shut down guy. 'Canes needed help back there considering they had 5'9" forward Michael Sofilas playing defence recently.
guy is pretty bad, zero foot speed, very rarely physical. doesn't block shots, is good leaning on guys in front of the net however.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:32 PM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
guy is pretty bad, zero foot speed, very rarely physical. doesn't block shots, is good leaning on guys in front of the net however.
Admittedly, I know nothing about the guy but thats not a huge concern. As of right now, the defence is filled with offensive, mobile 2-way dmen. Johnston, Erkamps, Pilon, Topping all can skate and right now the only player dman who is a shut-down type is Hackman, and although he has been great he is still a rookie and is pretty small for the role. With the loss of Albin Blomqvist as a decent shut-down guy, this move definitely makes sense.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:50 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly

Quote:
Admittedly, I know nothing about the guy but thats not a huge concern. As of right now, the defence is filled with offensive, mobile 2-way dmen. Johnston, Erkamps, Pilon, Topping all can skate and right now the only player dman who is a shut-down type is Hackman, and although he has been great he is still a rookie and is pretty small for the role. With the loss of Albin Blomqvist as a decent shut-down guy, this move definitely makes sense.
your not giving much up for him, so it's not a huge deal, he's definitely not going to wow you, he's usually solid in his own end, but he's far too passive for his size, might drop the gloves for a team mate but rarely does that as well, got room to grow as he's not old by any means but will provide you with that stay at home lethbridge may be looking for.

Old
01-09-2013, 04:56 PM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connolly2Duchene View Post
your not giving much up for him, so it's not a huge deal, he's definitely not going to wow you, he's usually solid in his own end, but he's far too passive for his size, might drop the gloves for a team mate but rarely does that as well, got room to grow as he's not old by any means but will provide you with that stay at home lethbridge may be looking for.
Sounds exactly what they are looking for. Plus, I'm not even sure he will be an everyday guy. With Johnston, Hackman, Erkamps and Pilon as the top-4 set. That leaves a combination of him, Topping, and Henry for the 3rd pairing.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:08 PM
skip2mybordeleau
Sign O'Reilly

Quote:
Sounds exactly what they are looking for. Plus, I'm not even sure he will be an everyday guy. With Johnston, Hackman, Erkamps and Pilon as the top-4 set. That leaves a combination of him, Topping, and Henry for the 3rd pairing.
should be bottom pairing, was playing top 4 in kootenay and they suffered because of it, because he cant make a first pass out of a zone, passing to a passing defenseman however can do. unfortunately he is also good at screening the team's own goalie.

Old
01-09-2013, 07:18 PM
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon

WHL trade deadline tomorrow so you should've expected some movement.

The Edmonton Oil Kings pick up 20 year old forward Trevor Cheek from the Vancouver Giants in Exchange for a 2013 2nd Round Pick. I really like this deal as It adds some toughness and grit with a nice scoring touch. And we really didn't give up much considering that 2nd Round Pick was origionally Portlands.

http://www.whl.ca/article/whl-transa...january-9-2013

And just saw on the EDM Oil Kings Twitter that they moved Klarcy Wilson to the P.A. Cougars for a 2014 3rd Round Pick. I guess with the addition of Cheek they had to shorten the roster a bit and Klarc was the same kinda player as Cheek, with not as great scoring tough. Best of luck in Prince George Klarcy!

Rebels taking on the Swift Current Broncos right now. Scoreless thus far.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:15 PM
tv14

3-0 Hurricanes leading Vancouver 6 minutes into the game. Could get ugly for the Giants tonight.

Make that 5-0. One positive to dealing Merkley was that it opens a spot up for Reid Duke in the top-6, 2 goals last game and 2 goal and 1 assist so far tonight.

Last edited by tv14: 01-09-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old
01-09-2013, 09:17 PM
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon

Dissapointing loss for the Rebels tonight. I'm to tired to spout my angers. Let's just pick it up for our next game on Friday, on Sportsnet!

Old
01-09-2013, 09:36 PM
tv14

'Canes lead 5-0 at one point, now its 5-4 after the 2nd. What a terrible period.

Old
01-09-2013, 10:27 PM
tv14

'Canes get 2 more goals in the 3rd, one into the empty net and hang on to win 7-4. Big 2 points, now sit just 2 points back of Red Deer for 4th place in the East.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredCowenFan View Post
The Edmonton Oil Kings pick up 20 year old forward Trevor Cheek from the Vancouver Giants in Exchange for a 2013 2nd Round Pick. I really like this deal as It adds some toughness and grit with a nice scoring touch. And we really didn't give up much considering that 2nd Round Pick was origionally Portlands.

And just saw on the EDM Oil Kings Twitter that they moved Klarcy Wilson to the P.A. Cougars for a 2014 3rd Round Pick. I guess with the addition of Cheek they had to shorten the roster a bit and Klarc was the same kinda player as Cheek, with not as great scoring tough. Best of luck in Prince George Klarcy!.
Cheek isn't going to add toughness to the Oil Kings. And he is absolutely nothing like Klarc Wilson. Wilson adds toughness. Cheek adds scoring. Two completely different players. The Cheek trade makes sense for the Oil Kings. Moving Wilson doesn't, IMO. Then again he probably wasn't going to make the team next year as an overager. So I'm guessing that had something to do with the deal.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
3-0 Hurricanes leading Vancouver 6 minutes into the game. Could get ugly for the Giants tonight.

Make that 5-0. One positive to dealing Merkley was that it opens a spot up for Reid Duke in the top-6, 2 goals last game and 2 goal and 1 assist so far tonight.
The Canes should be disappointed in themselves after that game. The Giants only dressed 16 skaters, had no 20 year old's in the line up and only two 19 year old's. After having a 5-0 lead they almost allowed the Giants back into the game. Not impressive in the least.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:34 PM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24 View Post
The Canes should be disappointed in themselves after that game. The Giants only dressed 16 skaters, had no 20 year old's in the line up and only two 19 year old's. After having a 5-0 lead they almost allowed the Giants back into the game. Not impressive in the least.
Ya definitely not a great win, however a win is a win. With the position the 'Canes are in, you have to take any points you can. This has been their downfall all year. Just wildly inconsistent, which comes with being one of the youngest teams in the league. They can play amazing and look like one of the best teams in the league, than the next period or game look absolutely terrible. I hope they can get into playoffs and take it from there, they've proven they can play with top teams all year, so anything could happen.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Ya definitely not a great win, however a win is a win. With the position the 'Canes are in, you have to take any points you can.
Fair enough. But having a 5-0 lead so early in the game they should have cruised to victory over a young and flat out awful Vancouver team. They completely stopped playing and it almost cost them. I was shocked the Giants actually fought back and made it a game. That said, the Canes still managed to get the two points, so you can certainly choose to look at it that way.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:42 PM
tv14

Quote:
Fair enough. But having a 5-0 lead so early in the game they should have cruised to victory over a young and flat out awful Vancouver team. They completely stopped playing and it almost cost them. I was shocked the Giants actually fought back and made it a game. That said, the Canes still managed to get the two points, so you can certainly choose to look at it that way.
Ya I agree. I by no means think it was a good win, but it is what it is. They have done this before to Med Hat and lost earlier in the year. They are very young and inexperienced, so these issues are to be expected. Clearly they thought they had it in the bag and quit playing. However, you just have to learn from these types of games, which hopefully they will do and continue to put up wins moving forward.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:24 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Cheek isn't going to add toughness to the Oil Kings. And he is absolutely nothing like Klarc Wilson. Wilson adds toughness. Cheek adds scoring. Two completely different players. The Cheek trade makes sense for the Oil Kings. Moving Wilson doesn't, IMO. Then again he probably wasn't going to make the team next year as an overager. So I'm guessing that had something to do with the deal.
They upgrade from Wilson to Cheek for what amounts to three or four spots in the draft. Wilson probably wasnt making the team as a 20yr old next year so its a wash. Wilson's toughness is overrated and his skill leaves much to be desired. He cost the team with poor decisions and bad penalties as much if not more than he helped them with physical play/work along the boards.

Cheek is much more versatile and can be used in just about any situation, something that cant really be said for Wilson. The Oil Kings now have three lines that can contribute offensively.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
They upgrade from Wilson to Cheek for what amounts to three or four spots in the draft. Wilson probably wasnt making the team as a 20yr old next year so its a wash. Wilson's toughness is overrated and his skill leaves much to be desired.
Wilson is no world beater, but the Oil Kings have had success with rough physical teams. Losing Wilson may hurt them during a long playoff run. This current team is already less tough and gritty than the team from last season. Trading Wilson doesn't help that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor
Cheek is much more versatile and can be used in just about any situation, something that cant really be said for Wilson. The Oil Kings now have three lines that can contribute offensively.
I never said Wilson is a better player than Cheek. He certainly is not. But Wilson is 19. Cheek is 20. It isn't like Wilson had to be moved in order for Cheek to be added to the team. I think it would have been a better idea keeping a player like Wilson for a playoff push.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:32 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Wilson is no world beater, but the Oil Kings have had success with rough physical teams. Losing Wilson may hurt them during a long playoff battle.

I never said Wilson is a better player than Cheek. He certainly is not. But Wilson is 19. Cheek is 20. It isn't like Wilson had to be moved in order for Cheek to be added to the team. I think it would have been a better idea keeping a player like Wilson for a playoff push.
They would have had to get rid of someone to make space on the roster. Maybe they are giving Wilson a chance to play somewhere next year? Not sure how many 19yr olds PG has.

The problem they had with Portland last year was keeping up with them. Cheek over Wilson helps in that regard. They never had a problem with teams trying to run them out of the rink, either against Brandon or especially Moose Jaw.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Maybe they are giving Wilson a chance to play somewhere next year? Not sure how many 19yr olds PG has.
I am sure they are giving him a place to play. Prince George needs all the help they can get. The have been playing under the maximum roster limit for a long time now. That team is riddled with injuries and players leaving the team.

Quote:
The problem they had with Portland last year was keeping up with them.
That didn't seem to hurt the Oil Kings too much considering they won the Ed Chynoweth cup.

In fact what hurt Portland was their lack of toughness and grit. They had a soft skilled team. Portland made some changes in the off season and are certainly more gritty and tough.

Quote:
They never had a problem with teams trying to run them out of the rink, either against Brandon or especially Moose Jaw.
Maybe that's because they have had a tough team, especially last season? My point being, losing Wilson (and Geertsen earlier this year) even Peddle to graduation makes them less gritty and tough. Not something I would want heading into the playoffs.

I'm not saying the Oil Kings won't be successful this season, but I wouldn't be getting rid of guys like Wilson, I'd be adding more guys with grit and toughness. Just my two cents.

Closed Thread