HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Beau Bennett | 1st round | #20 overall

Old
06-29-2010, 10:46 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
The more I hear from this kid, the more I like him. He says Ray Ferraro was his favourite player growing up because he was such a hard worker and went so hard to the net.

Ditto for Kuehnhackl who said he "would block a shot with his face" if need be.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

He definitely subscribes to the Sidney Crosby school of interviewing, that's for sure.

Be predictable, polite and say everything everyone wants to hear.

Coach John McGuirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2010, 11:28 PM
redsono93

Any good undrafted players we should target for training camp? Also just wondering. Who are the best scouts in the leauge as far as track record? What teams do they work for? When are there contracts up? Instead of always spending a ton of money on UFA's maybe we should just get the best scouts in the business and help us always have a stock of players ready to step in when players are UFA's.

redsono93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 01:41 AM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goncharz View Post
I don't think anybody else reported the things he said. I caught a lot of the interview.

He did say he might be ready in 2 years when Madden asked him when he could be ready to help the winger situation. When Madden asked him what he needs to work on the most, he said his strength. When Madden asked him what his greatest strength was, he said it was his creativity on the ice. He said he chose going to college because the shorter season will allow him to get stronger, even though he wishes he could play more games. He said he recognizes there is a positive trade-off there for him because of his size. Then Madden said that there is a perception that a shorter season means that players spend more time practicing and working on the game, so their hockey IQ increase. He asked Bennett if he thought that was true and Beau said yes, that he buys into that and think it will help his vision.
Bennett seems like he has a real good head on his shoulders. That's a major plus.

FDBluth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 08:47 AM
JTG

I'm beginning to really like this draft. The more I dig, the more I like.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 02:43 PM
JTG

I personally would like to see Bennett add another gear to his skating, rather than anything else, especially if reports are true that he already added a significant amount of muscle weight.

Old
06-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

But the scout said Bennett has that special ripple in his jersey when he's skating

Seriously, does he really need to be the greatest skater? Yes, he can improve and if he's like 87 and wants to be a perfectionist then I guess that's reason enough. His strengths seems to be sniping and vision, though. I've seen lots of snipers and players with great vision that aren't the greatest skaters. I think he can still be successful without the great speed.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
But the scout said Bennett has that special ripple in his jersey when he's skating

Seriously, does he really need to be the greatest skater? Yes, he can improve and if he's like 87 and wants to be a perfectionist then I guess that's reason enough. His strengths seems to be sniping and vision, though. I've seen lots of snipers and players with great vision that aren't the greatest skaters. I think he can still be successful without the great speed.
Most articles I've read suggest he's a good, slippery, deceptive, just not "elite" skater.

Won't be a problem from what I understand, he's just not Etem in the speed department.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2010, 03:59 PM
JTG

But that extra gear will be very useful when trying to keep up with our stable of centers. You don't have to be a fast skater to play with Geno because he has much more pace to his game, IMO, but if you're playing with 87, you have to at least have a good first 3-5 steps or he's going to dust you down the ice.

Old
06-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Ian Altenbaugh
Hockey's Future Staff

I don't have Bennett's history in front of me but I wouldn't be surprised if he naturally improves his skating the coming years. Growing up in a non-traditional hockey region he may not have learned to ice skate until he was around 7-9. Regardless, he probably did not learn at the same age as players who grew up in a more traditional area. Many of the players of similar talent level likely learned to skate around the ages of 3-5.

07-01-2010, 09:40 AM
puck swami

Excellent NHL.com interview of with Bennett's college coach, George Gwozdecky who breaks down Beau's projected development:

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2010/07...cky-about.html

puck swami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:43 AM
Jag68Sid87

No matter what happens, I'll always remember the Michael Nylander comparison on draft day. Maybe with time, I'll be able to see it but right now that one is just a massive head-scratcher.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:45 AM
JTG

That comparison made absolutely no sense whatsoever

Old
07-01-2010, 09:49 AM
WickedWrister

Any more highlight vids?

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2010, 09:49 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck swami View Post
Excellent NHL.com interview of with Bennett's college coach, George Gwozdecky who breaks down Beau's projected development:

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2010/07...cky-about.html
That is a coach that is in love with a player.

Old
07-01-2010, 10:01 AM
BrOrpik 44

To me at a first glance, this one sounds like a Petr Sykora kind of guy who can create some offense on his own, and will find the open spots and wait for the pass from one of our centers (which probably will be Malkin).

BrOrpik 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Danglesonice66

How's beau looking physically these days? Pictures I see of him and the fact that he was injured most of his college career make me worry he's not going to hold up great in the NHL. From personal experience skinny guys who like to hold onto the puck and aren't great skaters get hurt a lot.

Danglesonice66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:15 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I think he's in the 190lbs range now if I'm not mistaken....he's not small

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:17 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

At camp (WBS) I believe he weighed in at 200, if not a tad over. So he's got the NHL build now, but he's still gotta work on his game strength a bit (balance, puck protection etc.) if that makes sense.

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

Physically he's very attractive, he's got that whole SoCal thing going for him. If you thought *****es went crazy over Sid, I think we're in for a whole new world with Beau.

Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:26 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
I really want to see BB spend most if not all of this season in WBS. He's doing great and added weight, but I think getting that year to adjust to pro hockey and work on some elements of his game at the AHL level will do wonders.

I don't think (hope) the Pens will rush him. I'd rather see Tangradi and Jeffrey fill out the roster if necessary than have BB in on opening day.

Last edited by PensBandwagonerNo272: 01-10-2013 at 03:31 PM.
PensBandwagonerNo272 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Flat Stanley

If Bennett earns the spot, he earns the spot. I think he's ready for the NHL, he's 6'1"/6'2" almost 210 lbs. He's 21 years old with some NCAA and AHL hockey. If he's better than Jeffrey or Tangradi, you give him that spot.

He's not too young or too inexperienced for the NHL, the Pens management and coaching just has to see how he plays at the highest level.

I look at Jordan Eberle for example, he's 22 and entering his 3rd season, he's 5'11" and 184 lbs. He's a valuable winger on the Oilers, he was drafted 22nd overall in 2008 and made the Oilers at age 20 in 2010. Not saying Bennett will have the same path as Eberle, but there's no reason to send him back to WBS if he flourishes at Pens camp with Crosby or Malkin.

Flat Stanley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:05 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

vCash: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
If Bennett earns the spot, he earns the spot. I think he's ready for the NHL, he's 6'1"/6'2" almost 210 lbs. He's 21 years old with some NCAA and AHL hockey. If he's better than Jeffrey or Tangradi, you give him that spot.

He's not too young or too inexperienced for the NHL, the Pens management and coaching just has to see how he plays at the highest level.

I look at Jordan Eberle for example, he's 22 and entering his 3rd season, he's 5'11" and 184 lbs. He's a valuable winger on the Oilers, he was drafted 22nd overall in 2008 and made the Oilers at age 20 in 2010. Not saying Bennett will have the same path as Eberle, but there's no reason to send him back to WBS if he flourishes at Pens camp with Crosby or Malkin.
But camp is just that, camp. It's different if it's a full season with exhibition games and a longer tryout to see what you have in him, but it's tougher to crack a lineup and show what you got in a few days of camp with no exhibition games.

Bunch of guys might not have made their NHL teams and earned a spot last year if they didn't have the full month of preseason stuff (ie. Gardiner).

Bennett might not get that chance this year.

Unless he really knocks socks off at camp / tryout games, I wouldn't be surprised or even upset with a full year in the A.

alcanalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
But camp is just that, camp. It's different if it's a full season with exhibition games and a longer tryout to see what you have in him, but it's tougher to crack a lineup and show what you got in a few days of camp with no exhibition games.

Bunch of guys might not have made their NHL teams and earned a spot last year if they didn't have the full month of preseason stuff (ie. Gardiner).

Bennett might not get that chance this year.

Unless he really knocks socks off at camp / tryout games, I wouldn't be surprised or even upset with a full year in the A.
The thing is, I can't imagine him not being the first callup when injuries hit.

So if he is sent down, not a huge deal. I suspect we will see him with the big club at some point this season.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Jag68Sid87

Philippe Dupuis and Benn Ferriero will be recalled before Bennett. We all know this will happen.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote