HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyersFan18 View Post
See this is what I don't get If Lou is a superstar why is he even being considered as trade bait? Does that make Schneider a superstar to? Lou lost his job to a good goalie, superstar's don't do that. Is he a #1 goalie, yes but with 9 years left and a lot of money on that contract the Nuck's aren't going to fetch the return they expect. A top 6 forward, a top prospect and a pick is not realistic for Roberto, his value is simply to low dispute his skill level. I'd expect a top 6 forward and a lower round pick (3rd) or a Top 9 forward with a higher pick (1st or 2nd)
I don't really support the idea of trading Luongo, but if we are going to trade him we need full value for him. Personally i think we are better off with two great goalies in a shorten season

Old
01-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
I'd do Kadri, Bozak, Finn, 2014 2nd. That is the max I'm willing to give and even that makes me nervous (I think Kadri will be a good player)
That's a decent offer valuewise, it just doesn't suit our needs that well.

Old
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
could be, but we are all just speculating. The thought of getting crappy returns for a superstar is just crazy, imaging us giving you Raymond and Ballard for Kessel.

I think that is a fair trade as well : P
Kessel isnt in his 30's.
Kessel hasn't asked for a trade and we aren't looking to trade him.
Kessel is signed until he is 43 nor does he have one of the worst contracts in the league for his position.

Old
Jerkini

Quote:
could be, but we are all just speculating. The thought of getting crappy returns for a superstar is just crazy, imaging us giving you Raymond and Ballard for Kessel.

I think that is a fair trade as well : P
If Kessel was 33 years old and getting paid until he was 44 and was was forced to sit in the press box because he was pushed out of his job by a young stud, then absolutely i would expect Raymond and Ballard offers.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
I'd do Kadri, Bozak, Finn, 2014 2nd. That is the max I'm willing to give and even that makes me nervous (I think Kadri will be a good player)
then we keep our goalie while you keep those players for the leafs, which is arguably expendables.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
If Kessel was 33 years old and getting paid until he was 44 and was was forced to sit in he press box because he was pushed out of his job by a young stud, then absolutely i would expect Raymond and Ballard offers.

It's until he's 42.(not that I disagree there's obviously a difference in value, but not that much due to contract)

Old
01-10-2013, 04:30 PM
mapes

Quote:
I don't really support the idea of trading Luongo, but if we are going to trade him we need full value for him. Personally i think we are better off with two great goalies in a shorten season
But his contract is terrible. I don't think you understand that.

I agree with the last part and did state that on the Leafs board. In a shortened season, 2 good goalies is a valuable asset. The schedule will be jam packed.

Old
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Hilarious that some fans think they will get Couturier from the Flyers.

Holmgren has been reluctant to include him (and B. Schenn) in a trade for Shea ****ing Weber.

Hilarious.

Old
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday

vCash: 797
Quote:
then we keep our goalie while you keep those players for the leafs, which is arguably expendables.
Please come back after the trade. I honestly cant wait for your reaction. I promise I will be back to eat crow if I'm wrong.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:32 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Please come back after the trade. I honestly cant wait for your reaction. I promise I will be back to eat crow if I'm wrong.
I actually think my offer might be more than they actually get. I'd be nervous with that contract 5 years from now

Old
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
Kessel isnt in his 30's.
Kessel hasn't asked for a trade and we aren't looking to trade him.
Kessel is signed until he is 43 nor does he have one of the worst contracts in the league for his position.
Kessel also never played a single game of playoffs since 09, he is also not a good leader, his -33 rating doesn't help him either.

Neither did Luongo, he hasn't asked for a trade and there shouldn't be a trade for him in the short run either.
5.3 million dollars per year is a great contract for an elite goalie like Luongo, frankly this is one of the best contract you can have.

Old
arshonagon

Quote:
If Kessel was 33 years old and getting paid until he was 44 and was was forced to sit in he press box because he was pushed out of his job by a young stud, then absolutely i would expect Raymond and Ballard offers.
Forwards and goalies are not the same. Forwards, on average, deteriorate faster and are less likely to extend their careers into their late 30's or 40's.

Even goalies like Roloson and Gigeure (both not the caliber of Luongo) had very good seasons late in their careers.

Old
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
These threads have taken a toll on me. I can't read this drivel anymore yet I can't stop opening this thread. For the love of God please let this trade go down on Sunday.
You think the trade going down is going to make these threads stop? Nope. They'll just enter a new phase.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

Holmgren has been reluctant to include him (and B. Schenn) in a trade for Shea ****ing Weber.

Hilarious.
I doubt anyone expects Couturier, but obviously we'd be ecstatic if we got him. Same with Gardiner.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:33 PM
mapes

Quote:
Kessel also never played a single game of playoffs since 09, he is also not a good leader, his -33 rating doesn't help him either.

Neither did Luongo, he hasn't asked for a trade and there shouldn't be a trade for him in the short run either.
5.3 million dollars per year is a great contract for an elite goalie like Luongo, frankly this is one of the best contract you can have.
But it's for 10 years. 10! That's the terrible part.

Also plus minus is a terribly misused stat

Old
01-10-2013, 04:34 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

It's until he's 42.(not that I disagree there's obviously a difference in value, but not that much due to contract)
You're paying him A LOT of money to sit on the bench. Doing nothing. Think about that.

I'm fine with Canucks fans wanting a high return, I think that just means he'll remain a Canuck. That's all there is to say about it.

Old
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post

WOW, somebody needs a reality check. Luongo worth more than Nash?
If you think an established top line winger in any way brings more value to your team than an established top ten goaltender, you have no idea on how to build a winning team.

Just as an example, Nash would have little impact on the Leafs making the playoffs, where Luongo would have a major impact on that possibility.

Others may disagree with me, but I would put top position players in order of importance as:
Goaltender
First line center
Top defenseman
Top winger

I just see less value to Nash based purely on position.

Old
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
But his contract is terrible. I don't think you understand that.

I agree with the last part and did state that on the Leafs board. In a shortened season, 2 good goalies is a valuable asset. The schedule will be jam packed.
5.3 million dollars per year for an elite goalie is great, not the other way around. There are goalies out there who can played well up to the age of 43, just look at Roloson.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:36 PM
mapes

Quote:
5.3 million dollars per year for an elite goalie is great, not the other way around. There are goalies out there who can played well up to the age of 43, just look at Roloson.
Not many. Look at Cujo. See, I can do it too.

If he retires at 39, then what? We bite the bullet and get a cap hit for nothing. His contract is risky.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshonagon View Post
Forwards and goalies are not the same. Forwards, on average, deteriorate faster and are less likely to extend their careers into their late 30's or 40's.

Even goalies like Roloson and Gigeure (both not the caliber of Luongo) had very good seasons late in their careers.
Someone else used a forward as an example of why Luongo was worth a high price. I responded in turn.

Also I saw a late career Giguere in action. He wasn't worth anywhere near a $5.3 million caphit.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
You're paying him A LOT of money to sit on the bench. Doing nothing. Think about that.

I'm fine with Canucks fans wanting a high return, I think that just means he'll remain a Canuck. That's all there is to say about it.
Unless we can improve our roster, we have no reason to move the best goalie tandem in the league and insurance if one gets injured.

If we get an offer that improves us, I'd love to do a trade. But if it doesn't the empty cap space(or bad contracts some want us to take back) would be doing even less to help us.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:37 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
If you think an established top line winger in any way brings more value to your team than an established top ten goaltender, you have no idea on how to build a winning team.

Just as an example, Nash would have little impact on the Leafs making the playoffs, where Luongo would have a major impact on that possibility.

Others may disagree with me, but I would put top position players in order of importance as:
Goaltender
First line center
Top defenseman
Top winger

I just see less value to Nash based purely on position.
But in trades, goalies are worth less. Market value plays an effect

Old
01-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

Hilarious.
Where are you seeing that?

Old
01-10-2013, 04:39 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Should we file that with the:
'Ron Wilson is our coach for the future'
'Brian Burke will be given the time to do a proper rebuild'
'We are perfectly content going with Scrivens/Reimer next year'

statements.
How are any of these false?

Ron Wilson WAS our coach for the future, until the team fell off the cliff. Then he wasn't anymore. Then he had to be fired because SOMETHING had to be done.

Burke WAS given time - almost 5 years. Might not be enough for a "proper" rebuild depending on your definition but he had no interest in doing what that definition entails.

Burke may have been and Nonis may be content. That hasn't been proven yet. Its the same Gillis saying he's content with hanging on to Luongo, isn't it?

And technically Nonis didn't say Gardiner wasn't being traded. He said he wasn't going to get traded except for a another young player of that calibre, to paraphrase.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
But it's for 10 years. 10! That's the terrible part.

Also plus minus is a terribly misused stat
+/- may be a bit overrated, but when we're talking -33 it tells you a little something...

Closed Thread