HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
You played before? Looks like you've got way too good on-ice balance and posture for a beginner session.

Old
01-07-2013, 10:22 AM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Wow, the Caps boards are full of dbags.

I'm a Caps fan but I bring up something they don't like and they troll and flame me. Yet the moderator just sits there and does nothing when I'm called stupid and an idiot. Cool.

But anyways I agree with Jarick, you've got pretty good balance for being a beginner. Most guys bend their knees and lean forward too much. Keep working, man!

Old
01-07-2013, 11:36 AM
WeakTalocrural

Thanks, Jarick and Brad. I used to play a lot of pond hockey with my friends when I was a kid. Always wanted to try out the sport, don't know why I waited till my late 30's to do so!

I am ok turning and crossing over going left. Going right...that's another story.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
Road-tripping it 8 hours with four other teammates to play in a 3v3 all night iron man tournament only to head back in the morning to make it back for our beer league game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
That's insane...good luck!
Ended up taking second in the tournament by virtue of tie breaker to the last team we played and lost bc of a shootout goal (penalties awarded as shootout attempts that count towards score at end of each game). Tie game and they had 5 shootout attempts to our 2. Lost by one on the final attempt.

Made it back with 2 hours to spare before our league game. I overslept and my first shift was about 5 mins into a game that saw us get our worse defeat in our team's 3 year history. When three of the team's top skaters and goalie are physically and mentally exhausted, we needed other guys to step up to keep us in the game. Instead, they saw it as a time to be lazy and we got smoked. Took me until the 3rd period to get any semblance of legs again and they were gone shortly after that. If we were going to lose though, I was glad it was like that as hopefully it opened up some eyes that the current effort isn't going to get it done this season and we can't always rely on he same guys to make everyone else better.

Old
01-07-2013, 01:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ugh, that sounds exhausting.

We're going to have to re-assess this summer. 1-8-1 now and we'll be lucky to get 5 wins by the end of our 20 games. Our options seem to be drop down a level or cut some folks and bring in better players.

There's the possibility our team goes from VERY casual (i.e. 1-2 scrimmages in the summer and no practices) to somewhat organized and prepared (mandatory practices at least once a month, maybe more, and some coaching). If we do that and ask for $100 up front to get a spot on the team and use that money for 8-10 ice times, some guys will drop off, and if we bring in dedicated players who have skill level to play at our level, we could win 10+ games next year, maybe make the playoffs again.

Otherwise maybe we drop down a level, and considering I went from scoring 19 goals last year to zero in the first half with only four assists, I might be able to drop with them. Which would suck since it's a step backwards, but it's hockey.

I'm kind of hoping we just get some more serious and talented guys and structured practices. It's more fun to play with players who can make and receive passes and know defensive positioning. Otherwise it's just sandbagging it in a low level and racking up points. Which ain't worth $500 if you ask me.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

Today I signed for a beginner class. It's 35 miles away and at crappy time but what you gonna do? One needs to learn to skate at some point.

Old
01-07-2013, 03:54 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

My team is bottoms of the league, playing the team a few points ahead of us tonight. I feel like I'm gonna have a great game.

Old
01-07-2013, 06:17 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by x94Galchenyuk94x View Post
My team is bottoms of the league, playing the team a few points ahead of us tonight. I feel like I'm gonna have a great game.
I usually play my worst when I feel that way .

Old
01-07-2013, 11:18 PM
PaperworkNinja

... I went to the rink to watch my high school's team play the school's biggest rival. The coach of my learn-to-play class is also my old high school's head coach and his players come in to give us students some competition. We've gotten better as the year has gone on and so have the players. I also brought my gear since there's adult pick-up hockey right after the game in the second rink.

Thanks to our rink having neither a Facebook nor Twitter account, I didn't find out that both rinks are out of service due to a major water main rupture until I got to the rink. The rink's closed indefinitely as well. This means my closest rink is now 40 miles away until repairs are done.

Old
01-08-2013, 02:21 AM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
I usually play my worst when I feel that way .
Not me . Was on the ice all Christmas break at stick and pucks and such. Really got my confidence up, specifically in my skating.

Ended up scoring a pretty nice goal and the game ended in a 4-4 tie. By far my best game of the year, I was wheeling around out there. Legs haven't felt this good in a long time.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I really need to do that. Maybe if my cough lets up a bit I can get out on Saturday.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Stickchecked

Not today but Sunday, I did a solid lower body workout in the morning, took the toddler for an aborted outdoor ice skate, went out a second time to meet up with a friend on an outdoor ice rink for an hour, then got called to spare for a pickup in the evening. (And who can say no to hockey???)

Afterwards, I was an absolute wreck with a sore groin when I got home so I tried doing an ice bath with a couple buckets of fresh snow. But I couldn't even handle the temperature of just the cold water. It was brutally cold.

I've done ice baths before in the summer and my body always came around to the coldness but obviously the cold water isn't nearly as cold as it would be in winter.

Old
01-08-2013, 01:54 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Quote:
Originally Posted by x94Galchenyuk94x View Post
Ended up scoring a pretty nice goal and the game ended in a 4-4 tie. By far my best game of the year, I was wheeling around out there. Legs haven't felt this good in a long time.
And here is my goal

Old
01-08-2013, 07:42 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I really need to do that. Maybe if my cough lets up a bit I can get out on Saturday.
I'm just starting to get sick and my buds are back from college break until the 21st.

Absolutely sucks.

Old
01-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Learned why you bake skates before using them! After 3 hours on the ice, I was surprised there wasn't blood!

Old
01-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Frankie Spankie

I've said it before and I'll say it again, one of the best parts of hockey is you could hate a guy and get in a fight on the ice only to be laughing about it after the game. I admit this one was my fault and apologized to him after the game. Fighting for a loose puck in the corner and I eventually got it out and started skating it up ice. Felt the guy I beat for it try to slew foot me and we were giving each other some shots. As we were arguing with each other he said he wasn't trying to, the defender behind him pushed him into me and I had one of those, "oh ****" moments. Skated fine the rest of the game but did apologize admitting he was probably right, just a heat of the moment thing and we're both just laughing apologizing to each other about it.

Also, took a slapshot to the back right in between my shoulder pads and pants late in the game, kept me down for a minute or so and was a hell of a stinger. Just got home and sure enough, a nice round bruise there.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:35 AM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

... hit someone from behind. First time I have done this in 30 years of playing hockey and I still feel bad a day later.

I was racing a guy to the puck in the corner and he jumped back into me before either of us reached the corner. A bit of a preemptive strike on his part; however, this is a non-contact league and when he jumped back his stick was high and it grazed the underside of my visor. Such a careless play late in a hockey game where the score was not in doubt really angered me and I reacted by lining him up in the corner after he retrieved the puck (i.e., if he wants to play contact hockey, I can play contact hockey). I expected him to turn up the boards to break out of his zone, he just stayed there facing the glass, and I unfortunately nailed him right in the numbers while he was bent forward slightly.

It looked bad and thankfully he did not hurt his neck or back. I deservedly received five and a game. I apologized to him after the game, which he accepted, but he wasn't buying it that I expected him to turn (I would probably feel the same if I was in his place). I feel bad and am glad he was not hurt. I will accept any suspension that comes my way.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Glad it was a scare and nothing serious. Those are the really dangerous plays.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:45 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
... hit someone from behind. First time I have done this in 30 years of playing hockey and I still feel bad a day later.

I was racing a guy to the puck in the corner and he jumped back into me before either of us reached the corner. A bit of a preemptive strike on his part; however, this is a non-contact league and when he jumped back his stick was high and it grazed the underside of my visor. Such a careless play late in a hockey game where the score was not in doubt really angered me and I reacted by lining him up in the corner after he retrieved the puck (i.e., if he wants to play contact hockey, I can play contact hockey). I expected him to turn up the boards to break out of his zone, he just stayed there facing the glass, and I unfortunately nailed him right in the numbers while he was bent forward slightly.

It looked bad and thankfully he did not hurt his neck or back. I deservedly received five and a game. I apologized to him after the game, which he accepted, but he wasn't buying it that I expected him to turn (I would probably feel the same if I was in his place). I feel bad and am glad he was not hurt. I will accept any suspension that comes my way.
Don't worry the IIHF will only give you 1 game, he on the other hand might get 4 for catching you with the stick!

I know it isn't a funny situation, just still bitter

Old
01-10-2013, 12:33 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Really need to get back on the ice. Woke up this morning and couldn't move due to possibly flu.

Hopefully i'm better by Sunday or Monday. Can't even do shooting drills.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:27 PM
ford42

went down to the park a few nights ago and finally earned how to stop!!! I felt like the coolest sun of a bit*h in the park and really i just learn how to stop. and wow that alone makes hockey a lot more fun to play.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:23 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford42 View Post
went down to the park a few nights ago and finally earned how to stop!!! I felt like the coolest sun of a bit*h in the park and really i just learn how to stop. and wow that alone makes hockey a lot more fun to play.
Man I am envious! I still don't have the whole stopping thing down. I really feel like I can't get up to full speed or do a whole lot in general not knowing how to stop (or stop from high speed).

Not really today, but in the past week I bought a street puck and a cheap stick so I can do some dry land practice on the roof of my apartment building, and more importantly, I laced my skates the so-called "Canadian way" for the first time and, wow, I had no idea skates could feel that comfortably tight with so little effort. I'm never going back.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford42 View Post
Heh, I remember when I first learned how to stop, it certainly is a glorious feeling. Funny thing is I rollerbladed a lot as a kid and a lot of the skills are transferrable. Nobody believed me in my first pick up game when I told them it was my first time on skates. But no matter how well I could skate in a straight line or turn (well for a first time skater), I just could not figure out how to stop. Probably took me about 5 hours of game time to finally figure it out and I was so damn excited.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Was thinking about hitting the outdoor rinks...and it rained. In January. 40 degrees and rainy. We had six inches of snow before and now it's rained on and will freeze and turn to ice. This winter sucks.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Heh, I remember when I first learned how to stop, it certainly is a glorious feeling. Funny thing is I rollerbladed a lot as a kid and a lot of the skills are transferrable. Nobody believed me in my first pick up game when I told them it was my first time on skates. But no matter how well I could skate in a straight line or turn (well for a first time skater), I just could not figure out how to stop. Probably took me about 5 hours of game time to finally figure it out and I was so damn excited.
I took a friend out who sounds very similar to you, trying to teach him to stop. Was a very interesting afternoon with a lot of "Bite and fly forward" things happening. But eventually he got it, looked like a kid on Christmas, it was awesome!

It's never to late to learn a new skill!

Closed Thread