HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Name a player where you can't remember/find footage of them clearly losing a fight

Old
01-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Name a player where you can't remember/find footage of them clearly losing a fight

Alright, even the greats can lose a fight. Bob Probert lost to Joey Kocur. He also lost to the odd heavyweight who tried to make a name for himself. In a way Probert lost these fights by default, no one could win that many.

But who are guys who you can't remember losing a fight clearly? In other words, maybe they didn't win all of them, but you don't have any recollection of them losing or getting embarassed. I'll throw some names out there, and if you can find video evidence to prove me wrong, or anyone else out there, I say go for it.

Rick Tocchet - Mean SOB if there ever was one. Just had a scary look to him, I don't know what it was, the way his eyebrows looked I guess. Anyway, he had his share of fights and I can't remember him being shellacked.

Stan Jonathan - He bloodied Pierre Bouchard pretty good. He did the same to Bob Lorimer in the 1980 playoffs. He was a little guy who is the best fighter for his size, I think. Can't remember him losing much, he always fought bigger guys too.

Wendel Clark - If anyone wants to put Cam Neely on this list, don't. Clark hammered him in the 1980s. In fact, Clark fought Probert, McSorley, etc. and never backed down from anyone. He was mean on the ice and as gentle off the ice as you can imagine. Another guy who wasn't big at 5'10" but pound for pound was as good as anyone. Maybe someone can find a video of him losing. The thing with him was that he just wasn't afraid to get punched, it was almost like punching a pitbull who didn't flinch.

Eric Lindros - One of the most underrated fighters of all-time. He didn't do it much because he didn't have to. But ask Joe Thornton what happens even if you wanted to test an over the hill Lindros. Or ask Scott Stevens how a young Lindros fared.

Chris Pronger - Always a guy people say picked his spots. Either way, I don't remember Pronger losing a fight, part of his mystique I guess.

Larry Robinson - Another guy who didn't have to drop the mitts too much. Didn't have to. Ask Dave Schultz from 1974. A young Robinson handed him his lunch.

Honourable mention: You could throw Howe on this list, but finding footage of him losing a fight would be hard. Rob Ray is another one who comes to mind. Always seemed to get the best of Domi for whatever reason. O'Reilly is another one. Like Ray, was a fearless caged animal who left himself open but also meant that he always had a free fist. I was going to put Cashman on here but I can remember Jim Schoenfeld beating him soundly in a fight where the zamboni doors flew open.

Anyway, throw some names out there and we'll all try to disprove it.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Trognitz

vCash: 50
great post brother. lots of thought put into it. i agree with 90% of it.

i believe Fotiu was over rated but if anyone can come with some clear losses i would LOVE to hear of them.

Jim Schoenfeld ???

the knock on Clark was that he 'jumped' people. i like to see it as getting a 'fast start'. top 35 for me.

Trognitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Leetch66

Rob Ray does not deserve any honorable mentions because he was basically a cheater with the jersey issue . Berube also handled Probert more than once in their 8 or so scraps .

Tocchet was indeed a good scrapper !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:14 PM
MonsterSurge

Eric Godard.

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Agalloch1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
Eric Godard.
I can't get the video to work on here so I'll just link ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ky0mUzjFtu8#

Agalloch1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:25 AM
johnunit

Send a message via MSN to johnunit
Brad Staubitz

johnunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 12:07 PM
TheNuge

George laraque, I can't ever remember anyone absolutely tattooing him without him giving his fair share

TheNuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Chris43

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnunit View Post
Brad Staubitz

Chris43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:16 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

Quote:
Eric Godard.
That's what came to my mind as well

dr robbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:04 PM
bud12

nobody

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:19 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

Steve MacIntyre (ignoring the fight against Eric Godard).

MichiganWolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:08 PM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Eric Godard.
Orr owned Godard and please show me the Kocur beating probert fight??

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:29 PM
CaliforniaSeal

I don't think I've seen Terry O'Reilly lose.

CaliforniaSeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:32 PM
Saved*

Laraque

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:36 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Derek Boogaard.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

The only fight I ever remember Tony Twist losing badly was to Frankie Leroux, and that was in large part because Leroux taped his hand like a coward and and cut Tony open.

HM: Matt Johnson, Darren Langdon (my all-time favorite fighter; often fought guys twice his size and almost always held his own)

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:25 PM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSeal View Post
I don't think I've seen Terry O'Reilly lose.
Taz lost quite a few fights,Val James,Schultz,Richter,Playfair,Semenko and a few others.Thats some tough tough guys that beat him but not in his hay-day,that was later on in his career.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:29 PM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
The only fight I ever remember Tony Twist losing badly was to Frankie Leroux, and that was in large part because Leroux taped his hand like a coward and and cut Tony open.

HM: Matt Johnson, Darren Langdon (my all-time favorite fighter; often fought guys twice his size and almost always held his own)
Cairns beat Johnson bad and Fedoruk ko'd him and Laraque beat him everytime they went.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
Cairns beat Johnson bad and Fedoruk ko'd him and Laraque beat him everytime they went.

Now that you mention it I remember that Fedoruk fight and one of the Laraque ones. I renege that part of my post, but I stand by the Twist and Langdon statements.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:57 PM
cashman rules*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Now that you mention it I remember that Fedoruk fight and one of the Laraque ones. I renege that part of my post, but I stand by the Twist and Langdon statements.
Loved Langdon!Weird fighter but he sure had stamina,as for Twists and Langdon loses here ya go.....

Twist--One of the few that beat him clearly was big jim mckenzie and i think it was a tko and Todd Ewen cut him open and beat him as well,twist was tough and i don't think he lost a fight his last few years in the league(fight tapes).

Langdon---Ray cut him and beat him early in his career but of course his jersey came off so i don't count that.Troy Crowder put a beating on him pretty good and had a tough time ever beating Reid Simpson,lost pretty well all of them.I think Langdons worst beating was from the grim reaper aka Stu Grimson,Laus and Belak.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:52 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Rob Ray got demolished by Twist and lost handily to Leroux as well (after the Lafontaine cheapshot).

Twist also has that loss to Leroux, although the taped knuckles and running from Twist for the rest of his career taint that decision more than a little.

God, Leroux was a ****ing coward.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:58 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Derek Boogaard.

Don't feel bad, I didn't know this even happened until this thread.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:03 PM
BlackNgold 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Alright, even the greats can lose a fight. Bob Probert lost to Joey Kocur. He also lost to the odd heavyweight who tried to make a name for himself. In a way Probert lost these fights by default, no one could win that many.

But who are guys who you can't remember losing a fight clearly? In other words, maybe they didn't win all of them, but you don't have any recollection of them losing or getting embarassed. I'll throw some names out there, and if you can find video evidence to prove me wrong, or anyone else out there, I say go for it.

Rick Tocchet - Mean SOB if there ever was one. Just had a scary look to him, I don't know what it was, the way his eyebrows looked I guess. Anyway, he had his share of fights and I can't remember him being shellacked.

Stan Jonathan - He bloodied Pierre Bouchard pretty good. He did the same to Bob Lorimer in the 1980 playoffs. He was a little guy who is the best fighter for his size, I think. Can't remember him losing much, he always fought bigger guys too.

Wendel Clark - If anyone wants to put Cam Neely on this list, don't. Clark hammered him in the 1980s. In fact, Clark fought Probert, McSorley, etc. and never backed down from anyone. He was mean on the ice and as gentle off the ice as you can imagine. Another guy who wasn't big at 5'10" but pound for pound was as good as anyone. Maybe someone can find a video of him losing. The thing with him was that he just wasn't afraid to get punched, it was almost like punching a pitbull who didn't flinch.

Eric Lindros - One of the most underrated fighters of all-time. He didn't do it much because he didn't have to. But ask Joe Thornton what happens even if you wanted to test an over the hill Lindros. Or ask Scott Stevens how a young Lindros fared.

Chris Pronger - Always a guy people say picked his spots. Either way, I don't remember Pronger losing a fight, part of his mystique I guess.

Larry Robinson - Another guy who didn't have to drop the mitts too much. Didn't have to. Ask Dave Schultz from 1974. A young Robinson handed him his lunch.

Honourable mention: You could throw Howe on this list, but finding footage of him losing a fight would be hard. Rob Ray is another one who comes to mind. Always seemed to get the best of Domi for whatever reason. O'Reilly is another one. Like Ray, was a fearless caged animal who left himself open but also meant that he always had a free fist. I was going to put Cashman on here but I can remember Jim Schoenfeld beating him soundly in a fight where the zamboni doors flew open.

Anyway, throw some names out there and we'll all try to disprove it.
clarke gillies? then again he fought taz a few times and that went back and forth. He also beat jonathan but that as close to a jumping as you possibly could get. Wendell Clark is a great mention i love watching his fights.. the one against slava fetisov still makes me laugh.. one punch and the dudes face looked like a bruised cantaloupe.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:09 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saved View Post
Laraque
Big George might win the thread. I looked at his seasons on hockeyfights that have complete videos and this is the closest thing to a TKO I could find. It's definitely a "clear loss," but it's not in the same league as some of the other defeats posted in this thread. It also has him losing to Shawn Thornton of all people during Thornton's time in Chicago, but I'm not going to dig up the video.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:00 AM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman rules View Post
Loved Langdon!Weird fighter but he sure had stamina,as for Twists and Langdon loses here ya go.....

Twist--One of the few that beat him clearly was big jim mckenzie and i think it was a tko and Todd Ewen cut him open and beat him as well,twist was tough and i don't think he lost a fight his last few years in the league(fight tapes).

Langdon---Ray cut him and beat him early in his career but of course his jersey came off so i don't count that.Troy Crowder put a beating on him pretty good and had a tough time ever beating Reid Simpson,lost pretty well all of them.I think Langdons worst beating was from the grim reaper aka Stu Grimson,Laus and Belak.

Thanks for the info, you sure know your stuff!

Yeah Langdon was awesome. Pound for pound one of the best fighters I've ever seen, and one of the guys who relied on technique and stamina (like you mentioned) over punching power. He always got better as the fight went on.

I have a couple of Grimson vs. Langdon fights and Stu purposely pulls his jersey over his head both times. Langdon handled himself well in those bouts when he could see. Haven't seen the Laus and Belak fights, I'll check them out.

As for Twist, he may still be the scariest fighter I've ever watched (especially post-roids). He had sledgehammers for fists, and for the amount of fights he got into it's incredible he didn't lose more often.