HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do the Oilers buyout? (If anyone)

Old
01-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
Horcoff will be gone by the end of the summer in some shape or form simply because of the cap reduction for next season.

I think by the end of the season it will be clear who should be the captain (Hall)

I also think Tambo will try to trade horcoff or pass him through waivers if the team is fairing poorly at the deadline.

If they play well, Tambo will try to either trade or just buy him out in the offseason or just before the draft.

They will want cap room in the event any free agents tickle their fancy in the offseason.
Horcoff still has a NMC for this season.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:49 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Link?
Im pretty sure that was Moreau, not Horcoff.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 04:50 PM
the pen is mightier

Redden?

the pen is mightier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:00 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Im pretty sure that was Moreau, not Horcoff.
Corson?

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:03 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Zoidberg?

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Can't fault management? What have they done to address the situation? They've just sat on their hands and let the 1st overall picks come to them. They haven't done anytihng to address their center issues. Probably partially due to their love for the guy. I do agree with you that it has been near impossible to get rid of the guy given the circumstances. That's why now that they have the option they have to take advantage of it.

As for the rest I'm just saying there is notihng proving that he will be a good 3rd line center because he has never played in that roll, ever. So you're right he may be, but if he's complete garbage again this season as I suspect I'd kick his ass to the curb ASAP this summer.
Managment has followed through with the rebuild, drafting RNH, continuing to develop Gagner, signing Belanger.

But yes I agree with you here.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:15 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Tambellini will be remembered more for the transactions he didn't make than for those he did. Burke just the opposite... and thus why he's out of work currently and Tambo is still employed.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:12 PM
AM

Horcoffs name was on a trade when he signed the contract he did.

I doubt they buy him out, hes worth a couple million dollars to the right team.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:55 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Tambellini will be remembered more for the transactions he didn't make than for those he did. Burke just the opposite... and thus why he's out of work currently and Tambo is still employed.
I wold have liked him to be a bit more active last summer, but aside from that I think he's done a fine job so far. Given that he was told to rebuild through the draft.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:39 AM
Hemsky4PM

Horcoff has good trade value this summer for teams that miss on UFA season.

If they can pitch him as a 3M then 2M center for two years, but you get a nice cap bump in the deal (for floor teams) there will be more than a couple of teams willing to take him on.

Problem is, the Oilers need to get a no.2/3 center with size somehow too.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:17 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Horcoff has good trade value this summer for teams that miss on UFA season.

If they can pitch him as a 3M then 2M center for two years, but you get a nice cap bump in the deal (for floor teams) there will be more than a couple of teams willing to take him on.

Problem is, the Oilers need to get a no.2/3 center with size somehow too.
Are you suggesting that the Oilers retain $1M of his salary because he makes $4M and then $3M. He also has a limited NTC for 2013-2104 which allows him to list 10 teams that he can be traded too. It would be pretty easy for him to pick 10 teams that would not want his cap hit.

A trade does make more sense for the Oiler. For Horcoff a buyout maybe much more desirable than a trade to a team he does not want to play with. With a buyout he has better control where he goes, and all he would have to do would be to sign a 2 year deal at $1.25M per and he comes out ahead moneywise.

Somehow, I don't see Horcoff being the kind of guy to waive his NTC (or his NMC) to make life easier for the Oilers.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Somehow, I don't see Horcoff being the kind of guy to waive his NTC (or his NMC) to make life easier for the Oilers.
Well and to put it simply I don't think there is a kind of guy that would do favors like that in this situation. He negotiated that into his contract so it is his right to exercise so it would make complete sense to either force a buyout or a trade to one of his 10 teams. I couldn't hold that against him.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:04 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

rlly need size. Id buyout horcoff and trade gaugs for a gritty 2nd/3rd liner and dman

karnige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:36 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Pretty much nails it. When you're in full blown rebuilding, you don't start messing around with signings and trades. You take your lumps, draft carefully with the blessings you've been given, and build up your prospect catelogue. The time for making the trades and signings is coming soon, probably starting this year.

Burke was trying to be all things to all people. The plan would seemingly change every 6 months. He'd trade away picks, and then trade for picks. The Leafs have sucked for a long time, but he thought he could jump the system instead of carefully building and it cost him.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:19 PM
SLURVE

Oilers will not buyout their captain who has 2.5 yrs left (prorated to 3 mil this shortened season), 4 million next yr, 3 million 2014-2015. The Oilers will eat his contract and let him remain.

Buying him out now when his salary is less of a burden than his previous years would be bad optics for Lowe's and his bad decision as well as the chemistry of "family" in the dressing room. Apart from Horcoff's bad contract, he has not performed all that terrible except not on par with a 6 million salary expectations. His salary in his upcoming two years is acceptable.

He still has leadership qualities and perhaps may one day be working as part of Oilers managment/staff.

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:29 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
Oilers will not buyout their captain who has 2.5 yrs left (prorated to 3 mil this shortened season), 4 million next yr, 3 million 2014-2015. The Oilers will eat his contract and let him remain.

Buying him out now when his salary is less of a burden than his previous years would be bad optics for Lowe's and his bad decision as well as the chemistry of "family" in the dressing room. Apart from Horcoff's bad contract, he has not performed all that terrible except not on par with a 6 million salary expectations. His salary in his upcoming two years is acceptable.

He still has leadership qualities and perhaps may one day be working as part of Oilers managment/staff.
Its so sad that it is so true

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Horcoff will likely be injured at the end of the season and ensure he cannot be bought out next summer.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:

His salary is irrelevant to the discussion. His Cap hit is all that really matters to this hockey club, and at $5.5 it is grossly over priced. Now that's ok for this season and probably next year, but for his final year of his contract the Oilers are going to be hard against the cap and Horcoff at $5.5Mil will be a huge hindrance to the GM's ability to put together a strong playoff team, which we should definitely be at that point in time.

The only person who should care about Horcoffs Salary are Horcoff and Katz, that is it. maybe his wife and kids too.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
No we are all past that argument. Taking that away lets pretend he makes one million a season.

He just doesn't have it in his game anymore. You said he can still win an important faceoff when need be, what are you basing that on? His FO% has been under 50% for the last three seasons.

Have any of you Horcoff Heors actually looked at his stat line or are you basing your love for him off actually watching the games?
Sorry for the lack of specifics but,

Anyone remember the game he was out for an important defensive draw with 2 mins left in the game, down by one goal, and he lost. We fired the puck down the ice 2 times again after that, and Renney kept sending him out there. At one point, Belanger was half way on the ice to take the draw, then Renney sends him back to the bench. Horcoff promptly loses that draw as well and it leads to the game tying goal. He ended up losing the draw 4 times in a row and we got scored on.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:

You fail to address the fact the team needs to hand the reigns to the kids now, not keep it in the hands that no one (majority) outside of the dressing room (and that's debatable) respects. Just go to the Oiler home games and you can hear the disdain in the fans when Horcoff touches the puck, or as the usual case, wiffs on the puck.

Horcoff either has to give up the captaincy prior to his contract length or be bought out. Either way, he's not the Captain next year.

Old
01-14-2013, 01:44 PM
OilerFan4Life

For those suggesting a Horcoff trade, he has a full NMC no?

Good luck getting him to waive

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 01:46 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
You fail to address the fact the team needs to hand the reigns to the kids now, not keep it in the hands that no one (majority) outside of the dressing room (and that's debatable) respects. Just go to the Oiler home games and you can hear the disdain in the fans when Horcoff touches the puck, or as the usual case, wiffs on the puck.

Horcoff either has to give up the captaincy prior to his contract length or be bought out. Either way, he's not the Captain next year.
Lol, so I guess all those gameday dinner that the kids were going to at Horcs house was to get on his wife not because they liked Horcoff?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:39 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

It looks like teams will be able to buy out before the season starts. An interesting development. I wonder if/who will sign Redden and Gomez.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:42 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
It looks like teams will be able to buy out before the season starts. An interesting development. I wonder if/who will sign Redden and Gomez.
Won't be shocked if both go back to former teams.

Also won't be shocked when Redden is a healthy scratch at some point for the Sens.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Lol, so I guess all those gameday dinner that the kids were going to at Horcs house was to get on his wife not because they liked Horcoff?
not keep it in the hands that no one (majority) outside of the dressing room (and that's debatable) respects

I guess I wasn't clear...