HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2013, 04:41 PM
  #126
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Unless we can improve our roster, we have no reason to move the best goalie tandem in the league and insurance if one gets injured.

If we get an offer that improves us, I'd love to do a trade. But if it doesn't the empty cap space(or bad contracts some want us to take back) would be doing even less to help us.
The empty cap space could be useful in signing a guy like Perry in the off-season.

Or you could hold onto him as well, i'm okay with that. It just means you're going to have a lot of wasted money sitting on the bench. Whether or not that Schneider or Luongo doesn't matter.

Jerkini is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:41 PM
  #127
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers
 
Vancouver_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,518
vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Not many. Look at Cujo. See, I can do it too.

If he retires at 39, then what? We bite the bullet and get a cap hit for nothing. His contract is risky.
5.3 million dollars is going to be nothing five years later. Remember the cap used to be 39 million dollars back in 06, even if the cap does goes back down to 60 million dollars next season, its still a 21 million dollars increase!

Vancouver_2010 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:41 PM
  #128
Reign Nateo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
You're paying him A LOT of money to sit on the bench. Doing nothing. Think about that.

I'm fine with Canucks fans wanting a high return, I think that just means he'll remain a Canuck. That's all there is to say about it.
Or he gets traded to another team?

People are aware his cap hit is 5.3 right? Get confused by the way people talk about it like it's 20 million dollar cap hit or something...

And it's not a "terrible contract" at this point people. It could potentially be a problem for someone down the line, but at this point, it's actually a pretty resonable contract...

Reign Nateo is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:42 PM
  #129
x94Galchenyuk94x*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Vancouver_2010, if you aren't trolling, dear god.

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
  #130
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Or he gets traded to another team?

People are aware his cap hit is 5.3 right? Get confused by the way people talk about it like it's 20 million dollar cap hit or something...
For a team like Vancouver, $5.3 off the books seems incredibly useful to me. That's just me, though

Jerkini is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
  #131
Bim Jenning
Registered User
 
Bim Jenning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pyongyang
Country: North Korea
Posts: 8,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Luongo is worth more than Nash, and certainly worth more than Halak as well.
Please don't.

Bim Jenning is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
  #132
phillipsj89
Registered User
 
phillipsj89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
But his contract is terrible. I don't think you understand that.

I agree with the last part and did state that on the Leafs board. In a shortened season, 2 good goalies is a valuable asset. The schedule will be jam packed.
so???

phillipsj89 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
  #133
Commander Clueless
Spazmatic Dan
 
Commander Clueless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
5.3 million dollars is going to be nothing five years later. Remember the cap used to be 39 million dollars back in 06, even if the cap does goes back down to 60 million dollars next season, its still a 21 million dollars increase!
Dead cap space is dead cap space. For a team spending to the cap, it makes a difference.

Doesn't mean Luongo's value is crap but it does mean his contract has a downside.

Commander Clueless is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:44 PM
  #134
quat
winsome, loathsome
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 10,091
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Hilarious that some fans think they will get Couturier from the Flyers.

Holmgren has been reluctant to include him (and B. Schenn) in a trade for Shea ****ing Weber.

Hilarious.
Uh, it was Ferraro who mentioned Couturier.

quat is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:45 PM
  #135
Commander Clueless
Spazmatic Dan
 
Commander Clueless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Or he gets traded to another team?

People are aware his cap hit is 5.3 right? Get confused by the way people talk about it like it's 20 million dollar cap hit or something...

And it's not a "terrible contract" at this point people. It could potentially be a problem for someone down the line, but at this point, it's actually a pretty resonable contract...
Cap hit was never the problem. Its a great cap hit.

Its the length and the risk in the later years that fans think GMs might balk at.

Commander Clueless is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:45 PM
  #136
Nash
Registered User
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
If Kessel was 33 years old and getting paid until he was 44 and was was forced to sit in the press box because he was pushed out of his job by a young stud, then absolutely i would expect Raymond and Ballard offers.
Press box? No.

Luongo was the starter last year all year long. He backed up Cory for the last 3 playoff games. He has been a top goalie in the league for a decade. Top goalies play well into their late 30's. Roberto isn't the diminishing asset some are attempting to make him out to be.

Nash is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:46 PM
  #137
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,238
vCash: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
The empty cap space could be useful in signing a guy like Perry in the off-season.

Or you could hold onto him as well, i'm okay with that. It just means you're going to have a lot of wasted money sitting on the bench. Whether or not that Schneider or Luongo doesn't matter.
So wait until the offseason before lowballing us, okay?

Meanwhile Burke gets fired, and his lack of playoffs had something to do with it.

Someone will crack first. And don't forget there are other teams interested.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
  #138
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Press box? No.

Luongo was the starter last year all year long. He backed up Cory for the last 3 playoff games. He has been a top goalie in the league for a decade. Top goalies play well into their late 30's. Roberto isn't the diminishing asset some are attempting to make him out to be.
So then he isn't going to sit on the bench. That still leaves Schneider's $4 million. Either way you roll, there's going to be a lot of money being wasted on the bench.

Jerkini is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
  #139
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers
 
Vancouver_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,518
vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
Dead cap space is dead cap space. For a team spending to the cap, it makes a difference.

Doesn't mean Luongo's value is crap but it does mean his contract has a downside.
Indeed it makes a difference, but you also get 6-7 years of quality goalies, which you currently don't have.

Vancouver_2010 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
  #140
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
Cap hit was never the problem. Its a great cap hit.

Its the length and the risk in the later years that fans think GMs might balk at.
All true. But if he was under a short term contract or a more favourable contract the price would be much higher. It's a two edged sword. The only reason Toronto can likely get him without giving up Gardiner is the contract.

vanwest is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
  #141
Reign Nateo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
For a team like Vancouver, $5.3 off the books seems incredibly useful to me. That's just me, though
Sure it's useful and when it happens I'm sure Gillis will have a good use for it. I highly doubt he'll be sitting on the bench anywhere in a month. But theoretically there is no pressing need to trade him, if Gillis doesn't get an offer he likes, he'll wait some more. He's a frustratingly patient man. This will all be over soon. Leafs come up with what is needed to make a good deal for the Canucks, or he goes somewhere I else. It will take care of itself from my point of view.

Reign Nateo is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
  #142
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
5.3 million dollars per year for an elite goalie is great, not the other way around. There are goalies out there who can played well up to the age of 43, just look at Roloson.
How many of the 10 years we have to pay him for should we expext him to be elite? 3-5?

cyris is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
  #143
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
And technically Nonis didn't say Gardiner wasn't being traded. He said he wasn't going to get traded except for a another young player of that calibre, to paraphrase.


I'm curious of what this actually means. Does this mean that Nonis will only make lateral trades? A Gardiner for a Reilly for instance. Because if he is only trading young players for other young players of similar caliber, he isn't going to be doing too much other than moving sideways. No?

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
  #144
phillipsj89
Registered User
 
phillipsj89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
How many of the 10 years we have to pay him for should we expext him to be elite? 3-5?
you can expect hi to be better than anything else you got for 10, so take it already.

phillipsj89 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
  #145
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers
 
Vancouver_2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,518
vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
How many of the 10 years we have to pay him for should we expext him to be elite? 3-5?
No one can know that, but i can speculate you will get around 6-7 years for Luongo.

Vancouver_2010 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:50 PM
  #146
Jerkini
Registered User
 
Jerkini's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
So wait until the offseason before lowballing us, okay?

Meanwhile Burke gets fired, and his lack of playoffs had something to do with it.

Someone will crack first. And don't forget there are other teams interested.

I'm not lowballing anyone. I just think expecting this return is absolutely ludicrous and i'm calling you guys out on your ********:

1. Jake Gardiner
2. Nazem Kadri
3. Tyler Bozak
4. 1st Round Draft Pick

Jerkini is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:50 PM
  #147
cyris
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
No one can know that, but i can speculate you will get around 6-7 years for Luongo.
You expect Luongo to be an elite goalie at 40?

cyris is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:51 PM
  #148
Reign Nateo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
Cap hit was never the problem. Its a great cap hit.

Its the length and the risk in the later years that fans think GMs might balk at.
For sure, but my point is right now it's not a terrible contract. Risky? Sure. But calling it a terrible contract in the present, is missguided. For all we know it could work out very well for whoever has that contract in 6 or 7 years.

What if the cap jumps and Luongo plays at a high level? Then it's a great deal. Getting to know Luongo over the years, personally I'd say it's got as much chance to be a good deal all the way out as it does blow up and be an albatross like people keep saying over and over and over again.

Reign Nateo is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:51 PM
  #149
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Sure it's useful and when it happens I'm sure Gillis will have a good use for it. I highly doubt he'll be sitting on the bench anywhere in a month. But theoretically there is no pressing need to trade him, if Gillis doesn't get an offer he likes, he'll wait some more. He's a frustratingly patient man. This will all be over soon. Leafs come up with what is needed to make a good deal for the Canucks, or he goes somewhere I else. It will take care of itself from my point of view.


Doesn't it benefit Gillis to carry Luongo into the season and show everybody he is not pressed by the situation or arbitrary deadlines? I think if he does this, he greatly improves his position. What's more, he can wait until the deadline if need be.


Just like the landscape changed with PHI entering the picture, where before it was mostly EDM and TOR, it's bound to change again as the season progresses.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:52 PM
  #150
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,238
vCash: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
I'm not lowballing anyone. I just think expecting this return is absolutely ludicrous and i'm calling you guys out on your ********:

1. Jake Gardiner
2. Nazem Kadri
3. Tyler Bozak
4. 1st Round Draft Pick
I don't expect that.

I think something based around Lupul/Voracek + pick would be fine, and fair value.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.