HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Jerkini

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Unless we can improve our roster, we have no reason to move the best goalie tandem in the league and insurance if one gets injured.

If we get an offer that improves us, I'd love to do a trade. But if it doesn't the empty cap space(or bad contracts some want us to take back) would be doing even less to help us.
The empty cap space could be useful in signing a guy like Perry in the off-season.

Or you could hold onto him as well, i'm okay with that. It just means you're going to have a lot of wasted money sitting on the bench. Whether or not that Schneider or Luongo doesn't matter.

Old
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Not many. Look at Cujo. See, I can do it too.

If he retires at 39, then what? We bite the bullet and get a cap hit for nothing. His contract is risky.
5.3 million dollars is going to be nothing five years later. Remember the cap used to be 39 million dollars back in 06, even if the cap does goes back down to 60 million dollars next season, its still a 21 million dollars increase!

Old
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
You're paying him A LOT of money to sit on the bench. Doing nothing. Think about that.

I'm fine with Canucks fans wanting a high return, I think that just means he'll remain a Canuck. That's all there is to say about it.
Or he gets traded to another team?

People are aware his cap hit is 5.3 right? Get confused by the way people talk about it like it's 20 million dollar cap hit or something...

And it's not a "terrible contract" at this point people. It could potentially be a problem for someone down the line, but at this point, it's actually a pretty resonable contract...

Old
01-10-2013, 04:42 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Vancouver_2010, if you aren't trolling, dear god.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post

People are aware his cap hit is 5.3 right? Get confused by the way people talk about it like it's 20 million dollar cap hit or something...
For a team like Vancouver, $5.3 off the books seems incredibly useful to me. That's just me, though

Old
Bim Jenning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Luongo is worth more than Nash, and certainly worth more than Halak as well.
Please don't.

Old
phillipsj89

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
But his contract is terrible. I don't think you understand that.

I agree with the last part and did state that on the Leafs board. In a shortened season, 2 good goalies is a valuable asset. The schedule will be jam packed.
so???

Old
Commander Clueless
Spazmatic Dan

Quote:
5.3 million dollars is going to be nothing five years later. Remember the cap used to be 39 million dollars back in 06, even if the cap does goes back down to 60 million dollars next season, its still a 21 million dollars increase!
Dead cap space is dead cap space. For a team spending to the cap, it makes a difference.

Doesn't mean Luongo's value is crap but it does mean his contract has a downside.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:44 PM
quat
winsome, loathsome

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Hilarious that some fans think they will get Couturier from the Flyers.

Holmgren has been reluctant to include him (and B. Schenn) in a trade for Shea ****ing Weber.

Hilarious.
Uh, it was Ferraro who mentioned Couturier.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Commander Clueless
Spazmatic Dan

Quote:

And it's not a "terrible contract" at this point people. It could potentially be a problem for someone down the line, but at this point, it's actually a pretty resonable contract...
Cap hit was never the problem. Its a great cap hit.

Its the length and the risk in the later years that fans think GMs might balk at.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Nash

Quote:
If Kessel was 33 years old and getting paid until he was 44 and was was forced to sit in the press box because he was pushed out of his job by a young stud, then absolutely i would expect Raymond and Ballard offers.
Press box? No.

Luongo was the starter last year all year long. He backed up Cory for the last 3 playoff games. He has been a top goalie in the league for a decade. Top goalies play well into their late 30's. Roberto isn't the diminishing asset some are attempting to make him out to be.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:46 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Quote:
The empty cap space could be useful in signing a guy like Perry in the off-season.

Or you could hold onto him as well, i'm okay with that. It just means you're going to have a lot of wasted money sitting on the bench. Whether or not that Schneider or Luongo doesn't matter.
So wait until the offseason before lowballing us, okay?

Meanwhile Burke gets fired, and his lack of playoffs had something to do with it.

Someone will crack first. And don't forget there are other teams interested.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Press box? No.

Luongo was the starter last year all year long. He backed up Cory for the last 3 playoff games. He has been a top goalie in the league for a decade. Top goalies play well into their late 30's. Roberto isn't the diminishing asset some are attempting to make him out to be.
So then he isn't going to sit on the bench. That still leaves Schneider's $4 million. Either way you roll, there's going to be a lot of money being wasted on the bench.

Old
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
Dead cap space is dead cap space. For a team spending to the cap, it makes a difference.

Doesn't mean Luongo's value is crap but it does mean his contract has a downside.
Indeed it makes a difference, but you also get 6-7 years of quality goalies, which you currently don't have.

Old
vanwest

Quote:

Its the length and the risk in the later years that fans think GMs might balk at.
All true. But if he was under a short term contract or a more favourable contract the price would be much higher. It's a two edged sword. The only reason Toronto can likely get him without giving up Gardiner is the contract.

Old
Reign Nateo

Quote:
For a team like Vancouver, $5.3 off the books seems incredibly useful to me. That's just me, though
Sure it's useful and when it happens I'm sure Gillis will have a good use for it. I highly doubt he'll be sitting on the bench anywhere in a month. But theoretically there is no pressing need to trade him, if Gillis doesn't get an offer he likes, he'll wait some more. He's a frustratingly patient man. This will all be over soon. Leafs come up with what is needed to make a good deal for the Canucks, or he goes somewhere I else. It will take care of itself from my point of view.

Old
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
5.3 million dollars per year for an elite goalie is great, not the other way around. There are goalies out there who can played well up to the age of 43, just look at Roloson.
How many of the 10 years we have to pay him for should we expext him to be elite? 3-5?

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
And technically Nonis didn't say Gardiner wasn't being traded. He said he wasn't going to get traded except for a another young player of that calibre, to paraphrase.

I'm curious of what this actually means. Does this mean that Nonis will only make lateral trades? A Gardiner for a Reilly for instance. Because if he is only trading young players for other young players of similar caliber, he isn't going to be doing too much other than moving sideways. No?

Old
01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
phillipsj89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
How many of the 10 years we have to pay him for should we expext him to be elite? 3-5?
you can expect hi to be better than anything else you got for 10, so take it already.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
No one can know that, but i can speculate you will get around 6-7 years for Luongo.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:50 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
So wait until the offseason before lowballing us, okay?

Meanwhile Burke gets fired, and his lack of playoffs had something to do with it.

Someone will crack first. And don't forget there are other teams interested.

I'm not lowballing anyone. I just think expecting this return is absolutely ludicrous and i'm calling you guys out on your ********:

1. Jake Gardiner
2. Nazem Kadri
3. Tyler Bozak
4. 1st Round Draft Pick

Old
01-10-2013, 04:50 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
No one can know that, but i can speculate you will get around 6-7 years for Luongo.
You expect Luongo to be an elite goalie at 40?

Old
01-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:

For sure, but my point is right now it's not a terrible contract. Risky? Sure. But calling it a terrible contract in the present, is missguided. For all we know it could work out very well for whoever has that contract in 6 or 7 years.

What if the cap jumps and Luongo plays at a high level? Then it's a great deal. Getting to know Luongo over the years, personally I'd say it's got as much chance to be a good deal all the way out as it does blow up and be an albatross like people keep saying over and over and over again.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:51 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Sure it's useful and when it happens I'm sure Gillis will have a good use for it. I highly doubt he'll be sitting on the bench anywhere in a month. But theoretically there is no pressing need to trade him, if Gillis doesn't get an offer he likes, he'll wait some more. He's a frustratingly patient man. This will all be over soon. Leafs come up with what is needed to make a good deal for the Canucks, or he goes somewhere I else. It will take care of itself from my point of view.

Doesn't it benefit Gillis to carry Luongo into the season and show everybody he is not pressed by the situation or arbitrary deadlines? I think if he does this, he greatly improves his position. What's more, he can wait until the deadline if need be.

Just like the landscape changed with PHI entering the picture, where before it was mostly EDM and TOR, it's bound to change again as the season progresses.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Vankiller Whale
Fire Benning

vCash: 1815
Quote:
I'm not lowballing anyone. I just think expecting this return is absolutely ludicrous and i'm calling you guys out on your ********:

1. Jake Gardiner
2. Nazem Kadri
3. Tyler Bozak
4. 1st Round Draft Pick
I don't expect that.

I think something based around Lupul/Voracek + pick would be fine, and fair value.

Closed Thread