HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2013, 04:52 PM
  #151
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf
 
Spazmatic Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
Indeed it makes a difference, but you also get 6-7 years of quality goalies, which you currently don't have.
Definitely. That's why the Leafs would be interested.

But not at a price that has us mortgaging our top young players.

Edit: Just noticed the 6-7 years. That may be a bit of an optimistic statement.


Last edited by Spazmatic Dan: 01-10-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Spazmatic Dan is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:52 PM
  #152
Reign Nateo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
You expect Luongo to be an elite goalie at 40?
The guy works hard and wants to be great, don't be shocked if he's still playing at a high level at that age. Canucks fans know him a bit better than the rest, he's a pro without any nagging injuries and hasn't lost much yet.

Reign Nateo is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:53 PM
  #153
Gutchecktime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I'm curious of what this actually means. Does this mean that Nonis will only make lateral trades? A Gardiner for a Reilly for instance. Because if he is only trading young players for other young players of similar caliber, he isn't going to be doing too much other than moving sideways. No?
He specified "building blocks" - that he puts Rielly and Gardiner in a "building block" category in which it doesn't really make sense to trade these guys for older players. What other pieces on the Leafs he considers being "building blocks" is yet TBD but he did speak about Rielly and Gardiner specifically.

Gutchecktime is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:53 PM
  #154
Roboholic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I'm curious of what this actually means. Does this mean that Nonis will only make lateral trades? A Gardiner for a Reilly for instance. Because if he is only trading young players for other young players of similar caliber, he isn't going to be doing too much other than moving sideways. No?
Well not when your heavy on defense and need young forwards, I don't think he meant young defensemen for other young defensemen.

Roboholic is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:54 PM
  #155
Skead
Registered User
 
Skead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
You expect Luongo to be an elite goalie at 40?
Martin Brodeur says "Hi."

Skead is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:55 PM
  #156
Slads
Can't-stand-ya
 
Slads's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
I feel like a lot of people feed into the stereotype of Luongo not being an amazing goaltender. All you need to do is look at his stats and what he's done over his career and the past few years without bias and you can see he is a superstar. I know it is only human nature to look at negatives over positives, but he has done a great job. He got the Canucks to game 7 of the SCF with only 8(?) goals of offense and was a Vezina finalist, and even in last year's playoffs he was the best player for the Canucks before being replaced by Schneider (which was basically to give the team a different look and spark). He also brings a ton of experience which is hard to come by. I really think people undervalue him too much. I do understand the contract length, but it's a low cap hit considering other goalies around the league and having a young goalie develop under him is one of those things that won't show up on a stats sheet but is huge for a franchise.

Slads is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:55 PM
  #157
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
The guy works hard and wants to be great, don't be shocked if he's still playing at a high level at that age. Canucks fans know him a bit better than the rest, he's a pro without any nagging injuries and hasn't lost much yet.
I'm not saying it cant happen but it isnt likely either. And you certainly don't acquire a guy expecting him to do it.

cyris is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:55 PM
  #158
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Doesn't it benefit Gillis to carry Luongo into the season and show everybody he is not pressed by the situation or arbitrary deadlines? I think if he does this, he greatly improves his position. What's more, he can wait until the deadline if need be.

Umm not really. The cap is currently 70 million. Next year when the cap drops and Edler and Burrows get raises, that's when the real pressure will be. Everyone knows that. Whether or not Luongo is traded this season is irrelevant to his value when the real crunch comes.


Don't really see how holding onto Luongo until the point he is forced to trade him improves his position. If anything, options will dissapear as next year's cap crunch approaches.

blankall is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:56 PM
  #159
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Martin Brodeur says "Hi."
So what about the many others that were well on the decline by then?

cyris is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:57 PM
  #160
Roboholic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skead View Post
Martin Brodeur says "Hi."
Vancouver wanting to trade Luongo says "Hello, how's your mother doing?"

Roboholic is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:57 PM
  #161
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf
 
Spazmatic Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chatham, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
For sure, but my point is right now it's not a terrible contract. Risky? Sure. But calling it a terrible contract in the present, is missguided. For all we know it could work out very well for whoever has that contract in 6 or 7 years.

What if the cap jumps and Luongo plays at a high level? Then it's a great deal. Getting to know Luongo over the years, personally I'd say it's got as much chance to be a good deal all the way out as it does blow up and be an albatross like people keep saying over and over and over again.
Focusing just on the here and now, its a good contract.

But when dealing with a contract, you need to look at its entirety. At least, if you're a GM you do.

Its the later years that make people think its terrible as a whole.

I don't think its terrible but I do not like the length and I do not like the dead cap that will come with thanks to the NHL's retroactive punishment for teams that played within the rules at the time. But I'm not a GM.

If the GM deems the contract not to be an issue, I don't think it hurts Luongo's value directly. What it likely does do, however, is reduce the market and hence reduce the market value.

Again I'm not suggesting Luongo's worth nothing, but we have to assume that contract doesn't do Gillis or the Canucks any favours in a trade. At least IMO.

Spazmatic Dan is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:57 PM
  #162
x94Galchenyuk94x*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
I need to stop going into this thread, I've gotten too many infractions for calling out all the ******** posted by people in here.

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:57 PM
  #163
Samzilla
Registered User
 
Samzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Umm not really. The cap is currently 70 million. Next year when the cap drops and Edler and Burrows get raises, that's when the real pressure will be. Everyone knows that. Whether or not Luongo is traded this season is irrelevant to his value when the real crunch comes.


Don't really see how holding onto Luongo until the point he is forced to trade him improves his position. If anything, options will dissapear as next year's cap crunch approaches.
Burrows signed a 4 year contract this past off-season. He's not getting any raise next year.

Samzilla is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:00 PM
  #164
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Umm not really. The cap is currently 70 million. Next year when the cap drops and Edler and Burrows get raises, that's when the real pressure will be. Everyone knows that. Whether or not Luongo is traded this season is irrelevant to his value when the real crunch comes.


Don't really see how holding onto Luongo until the point he is forced to trade him improves his position. If anything, options will dissapear as next year's cap crunch approaches.
True. But again, if the risk is that you lose out on a Tyler Boak type player then it's a low risk to wait. Best case, another team in the playoff hunt needs a goalie. Worst case you miss out on Bozak and trade him for nothing.

vanwest is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:00 PM
  #165
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samzilla View Post
Burrows signed a 4 year contract this past off-season. He's not getting any raise next year.
Wrong.

He signed an extension that kicks in next year. His cap hit increases from 2 million to 4.5 million.

Edler will also be getting a raise of 2 million or so.

blankall is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:01 PM
  #166
Reign Nateo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Doesn't it benefit Gillis to carry Luongo into the season and show everybody he is not pressed by the situation or arbitrary deadlines? I think if he does this, he greatly improves his position. What's more, he can wait until the deadline if need be.


Just like the landscape changed with PHI entering the picture, where before it was mostly EDM and TOR, it's bound to change again as the season progresses.
Perhaps, but I personally don't think it will get that far. He'll be dealt before the 19th in my mind. And for a decent return. The team will not want to go into the season being asked the same questions about their goalies every 10 minutes.

Still doesn't mean there is a lot of pressure on Gillis. He's got the asset and judging from everything we've heard from the media, he's also got options.

I've read posts from every "expert" in these threads tyring to paing Gillis into a corner and insinuate the pressure is on Gillis, but I don't see it. He's got the horse to sell and as far as we know this is all going according to plan for him.

Reign Nateo is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:01 PM
  #167
Inverted
Registered User
 
Inverted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 500
Had Luongo been younger in his mid 20's his value would be alot higher and perhaps teams like Flyers, Florida & Leafs would be more than willing to trade their top prospects for Luongo, but he's already 33 with a few good years 3-5 at the most left in him. Nothing against Lu he's one of the top notch goalies in the leauge but doesn't suit a team like the Leafs who are still key pieces away from contending for the cup. Would I still like to have him on the Leafs? yes but not at the expense of future players like Gardiner and 1st round pick.

Inverted is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:01 PM
  #168
x94Galchenyuk94x*
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Wrong.

He signed an extension that kicks in next year. His cap hit increases from 2 million to 4.5 million.

Edler will also be getting a raise of 2 million or so.
Top dman on the team + impending UFA = 5.25 per year? He'll get 6mil+.

x94Galchenyuk94x* is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:02 PM
  #169
quat
vapid but stately
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 9,022
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmatic Dan View Post
Cap hit was never the problem. Its a great cap hit.

Its the length and the risk in the later years that fans think GMs might balk at.
My team sucks in net RIGHT NOW, but I'm going to worry about the possibility that in five years the contract might be problematic. ????? Never mind that the player with said contract is playing extremely well, and goalies of his caliber tend to play into their late 30's.

Have to say I don't go along with this line of reasoning.

As a Canucks fan, I would be satisfied with keeping Luongo and his contract if we were to get proper value in return for Schneider.

Whoever ends up getting Luongo on his current contract, is going to be very pleased with player. Previously, I kind of wanted TO to pick him up because I felt it would be nice to see them as a viable threat in the East ... but after visiting many of these threads, I'll be more than happy to see him succeed elsewhere.

quat is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:02 PM
  #170
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
Had Luongo been younger in his mid 20's his value would be alot higher and perhaps teams like Flyers Florida & Leafs would be more than willing to trade their top prospects for Luongo, but he's already 33 with a few good years 3-5 at the most left in him. Nothing against Lu he's one of the top notch goalies in the leauge but doesn't suit a team like the Leafs who are still key pieces away from contending for the cup. Would I still like to have him on the Leafs? yes but not at the expense of future players like Gardiner and 1st round pick.
It makes no sense for us to target futures(especially LDs) anyways. Lupul, and to a much lesser extent Kulemin/JVR, should be the targets, imo.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:02 PM
  #171
Samzilla
Registered User
 
Samzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Wrong.

He signed an extension that kicks in next year. His cap hit increases from 2 million to 4.5 million.

Edler will also be getting a raise of 2 million or so.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. His cap hit is a known entity. The deal's already made. Edler's isn't. So the Canucks don't need to worry about Burrows' raise. It's already dealt with.

Samzilla is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:05 PM
  #172
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
He specified "building blocks" - that he puts Rielly and Gardiner in a "building block" category in which it doesn't really make sense to trade these guys for older players.


Gotcha. Gardiner and Reilly are building blocks in TOR. Gillis is asking for a building block, which is why a deal hasn't gone down.


Is Finn a building block? Kadri?

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:05 PM
  #173
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x94Galchenyuk94x View Post
Top dman on the team + impending UFA = 5.25 per year? He'll get 6mil+.
You realize the Sedins, faces of the franchise make 6.1 mil, right? And Kesler is a 5 mil. Hamhuis(who some hold better than Edler) is at 4.5 mil.

5.2 mil sounds about right to me, given our history at re-signing our players. As a contender it isn't necessary to overpay everyone to stay.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:05 PM
  #174
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
True. But again, if the risk is that you lose out on a Tyler Boak type player then it's a low risk to wait. Best case, another team in the playoff hunt needs a goalie. Worst case you miss out on Bozak and trade him for nothing.
In a shortened season, there is no room for slow starts. You have Kesler out and require a 2nd line centre to start the season.

There were 21 points between Vancouver in 1st and the 9th place team, Calgary. Pro-rated over a partial season, that difference drops to 6 or so wins. With major improvements in the NW division from Minnesota and Edmonton, a slow start will kill your season.

blankall is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:06 PM
  #175
Skead
Registered User
 
Skead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
So what about the many others that were well on the decline by then?
You're right, there's no way to confirm he'll play that long or not. But anyone that follows Luongo knows he's an outstanding professional at keeping his game and body in tip-top shape, he already started training months ago with his goalie coach...

He isn't Kyle Wellwood here.

Skead is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.