HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 05:38 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
The contract is just ridiculous, so Vancouver wants us to take it on for 10 years and at the same time if he retires we still have to take a cap hit until the deal is done. On top of that we have to give them a blue chip prospect....If I'm Nonis I'm telling them to go to hell.
Toronto owners:
"Uh, Dave, could you come in here for a minute please."
"We have decided that we really don't like the way you project in the community. You're too quiet. Sorry we're letting you go."

Old
01-10-2013, 05:39 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
This is another inconsistency I've noticed (and I'm not picking on you specifically).

I've been to the Canucks board - essentially EVERYTHING on the Leafs roster or in the cupboard is labeled as garbage except for Rielly and Gardiner - and then they try to argue that it's a good idea to trade one of the only two things that aren't garbage.

Ok... that... does not go together.
not everything is garbage, but not everything is useful to vancouver. We don't need useless players to us.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:40 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
Halak is a better goalie than Luongo now and going forward so there would be that advantage too. Better contract, etc.
Sure he is.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:41 PM
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Sure he is.
These are the same guys who said Burke was better then Gillis....

Old
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rune74 View Post
not everything is garbage, but not everything is useful to vancouver. We don't need useless players to us.
There are certain posters that need to articulate that, if that's the thinking. Because that's not what is actually being said in many, many cases.

Old
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
I'd do Kadri, Bozak, Finn, 2014 2nd. That is the max I'm willing to give and even that makes me nervous (I think Kadri will be a good player)
I say yes, this is pretty close to what I have asked for this entire time. You draw up the paper work, I will tell Lui.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Nash

Quote:
Can I ask you an honest question? If this isn't your goaltender and Gardiner or whoever isn't going to the Canucks and you're not trying to make your team as good as you can... do you still think it's a good idea for the Leafs to be trading a Gardiner or Rielly type player for a Luongo? I have an incredible amount of faith in Luongo but I think most Vancouver fans would say - if it wasn't involving their team - that even with Luongo, the Leafs won't make much noise in the playoffs and that they should probably hang on to the Gardiner/Rielly types.

And yes, I absolutely understand that goalie options are limited here and that the Canucks don't have to trade Luongo to Toronto, but I think... to what end do you bring him in? If that's really the price, is it a smart decision for where you think this franchise is. I'm having a really hard time seeing how everyone can slam Toronto for trading picks for a 22 year old forward and slam them again for not moving Gardiner for a 34 year old goaltender. Those two things don't seem to work together.
Personally I don't see him going to Toronto at all. Stealth Gillis will either strike a silently reported deal with Tallon or someone unexpected.

However, to answer your question, let me respond with a question. If you could go back in time and trade Ohlund when he was 24 for a top ten goaltender so that the Canucks from 2001-2004 had an excellent opportunity to go farther into the playoffs, wouldn't you do that trade in a heartbeat?

As is, guys like Ohlund, Naslund, Bertuzzi and any number of "star" players and prospects accomplished nothing but personal stars and team failure, with a good deal of criticism rightfully directed at a GM with an inability to shore up his goaltending.

People act like Luongo was a final building block on a team close to playoff success. It isn't true. Bertuzzi was part of the trade and the other two first line teammates were on the decline and on their way out the door. Kesler and Burrows didn't even crack 20 points in Luongo's first year here. The team was a trap style defensive team that overachieved in front of a top notch goalie. He allowed them to develop and compete and attract free agents and retain players cheaper because he made the team a threat.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:42 PM
binop7

Quote:
These are the same guys who said Burke was better then Gillis....
Burke is better than Gillis. Presidents trophies don't usurp a cup.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Samzilla

Quote:
There are certain posters that need to articulate that, if that's the thinking. Because that's not what is actually being said in many, many cases.
It's been said many times, but people would rather focus on the guy who said Ferraro mentioned Couturier as a possibility and twist it into saying "Canucks fans expect Couturier ++ from Philly, lulz, zomg"

Old
01-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Gutchecktime

There's not much that's off limits to me. Gardiner, Rielly. Probably wouldn't give up our 2013 1st without a fight either.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:44 PM
rune74

Quote:
Burke is better than Gillis. Presidents trophies don't usurp a cup.
I guess he can put that on his resume...

Old
01-10-2013, 05:44 PM
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Halak is better.. hes younger, better contract, etc..

Old
01-10-2013, 05:45 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Not to mention he's a special advisor.
That may even usurp a cup.

Old
x94Galchenyuk94x*

Halak is ore valuable than Schneider.. almost the same age but Halak is more proven.

Old
binop7

Quote:
Hell maybe he'll be the next commissioner of the league.

Old
rune74

Quote:
Originally Posted by x94Galchenyuk94x View Post
He isn't sorry.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Spazmatic Dan
The Circle of Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
Oh I agree ... it's more a matter of what to do and when. Burke made a huge error trading for Kessel, but things also rather conspired against him. The team never sucked enough when they needed to, and then did suck as soon as they picked up Kessel.

The present TO squad is a different matter. They do have some good solid players in the NHL with comparison with what Burke had when he came on board. I think he just made a bad read ... but since then, gradually things are getting better.

I believe, as opposed to what you are suggesting, that the timing does make sense right now for TO to make a hockey trade for a solid starting goalie. Following that, you make a run for a premier center. Getting Luongo will not gut the farm or the future. It will remove one solid piece and pick. There is enough around that with free agents coming up to expect Toronto to be a winning club.

If one isn't going in that direction, then one might expect to jettison Kessel, Lupul and Phaneuf for more picks and or futures. That's more than likely a minimum of a three year set back with no real guarantee of being in a much better place than you are today. Different, but not necessarily a ton better.

However, that is a possible route to go. I'm just not certain that needs to happen when you've actually got a fairly decent roster with the opportunity to improve the main weakness for at least the next five years.
I see where you're going but Lupul, Phaneuf and Kessel (especially Kessel) are still pretty young.

Again, I would love to get Luongo. Solid goaltending would be a wonderful step in the right direction but it has to make sense.

Gillis' asking price is the problem and that is because of Toronto's situation combined with Luongo's contract vs. age.

I'd be happy with them moving pieces, just so long as those pieces make sense. Gillis' rumoured asking price, IMO, doesn't make sense for Toronto.

Old
binop7

Quote:
And he's currently better performance wise too.

Old
quat
vapid but stately

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
How is it risky?? If we make the playoffs then great, if we end up suffering we end up with another top pick. The Leafs need more elite young talent. I'm fine with going with Reimer and Scrivens. I would not pay what Gillis wants for Luongo, never. That contract is an albatross, a 33 year old with 10 more years NO THANKS! Luongo has already played over 800 games including playoffs, thats a ton of hockey for a goalie. He could break down at any time. There's a lot of downside with this deal including giving away a young D-man who has top 2 potential.
It's only risky if you once again fail to make the playoffs but don't get a great drafting position, and still end up without a solid goaltender, but another season down the road. I don't see why that's not clear.

Either TO bails on this collection of players (the vets), or they get a goalie that can hold down the fort in net. It's a huge risk to have a decent team but poor goaltending, because then you tend to miss the playoffs, but not by enough to draft superstar players. Plus you still end up with a hole in net.

Plus I completely disagree (as do the statistics), with your opinion of both Luongo and his contract. It's funny how you can rate him so poorly, and yet be so willing to shower nothing but praise on your own player. It's not a very objective analysis.

Your plan is the riskiest. Not saying it can't work out, but the probability is very low. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out.

Old
rune74

Quote:
Hell maybe he'll be the next commissioner of the league.
Not with how many owners and GM's he's pissed off over the years.

Old
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Halak is not better, and why don't you ask St. Louis fans how they'd feel about trading him. Or how comfortable they'd be with Elliott as the starter(See LA series)

Old
01-10-2013, 05:47 PM
binop7

Quote:
There's not much that's off limits to me. Gardiner, Rielly. Probably wouldn't give up our 2013 1st without a fight either.
I don't think any GMs should give up their 1st this year. Tremendous talent in the draft even late into the 1st round.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:47 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Halak is ore valuable than Schneider.. almost the same age but Halak is more proven.
No, you're confused. Being proven means nothing. That's why Luongo with the best or second best stats since the lockout only returns Bozak and is a far inferior goalie to the great Halak. You need to focus more on potential.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:48 PM
Slatsmsg

Luongo puts Leafs into the playoff picture. They need to make a deal on this.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:48 PM
vanwest

Quote:
And he's currently better performance wise too.
Yes. But he's no Monster!
I'm guessing you haven't seen a lot of good goaltending recently. You are forgiven.

Closed Thread