2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 07:06 PM
skating101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Spencer, Henley, Petawabano, Mckenzie, Capobianco, Craivech, Barwell, McGlynn, Baird, Walters, Davies, McFadden
I think someone is a big Oakville fan

Old
01-10-2013, 07:11 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
I think someone is a big Oakville fan
Hes right. Outside of McGlynn (IMO, could be wrong), all will be top 40 picks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I said it to stir the pot with my buddy Mapleleaf979. LOL

Players didnt have time to practice with each other, so it was a rusty game, but I thought there would have been more individual efforts. Only guys to show some signs of individualism was Marner and Korosolev.

2 years ago, Laughton and Wilson fought. Last year there were end to end rushes.

This year, very boring.

Strome, Stephens, Korostolev will be in the OHL next year, but I said COMPETE. They may be like Cornell, or Middleton, or past guys like Teskey, or Varga, or Vlajkov.

I have nothing against Stephens or Strome, and Mapleleaf979 can attest, that last year I loved Bennett and Mckeown from the start of the year and felt that they would be top 5 picks, and so far they are showing that. But this year I cant see it in any GTHL player.

Korostolev impressed me more in the earlier part of the year before his injury, but not since. But I realized he had a wrist/forearm brace/bandage on at the prospects game and the flexibility and strength may still not be there.

With the Marlies, I just dont see them like the Marlies of last year. Stephens has the speed, but not the focus or strength, and Strome has the hands and vision but not the speed to compete.

I hope I am wrong, but in no way is it a slag at the boys in the GTHL. We may just have a weak loop. The boys in the OMHA and Alliance are way above the GTHL.
Sorry Chewer , Strome goes ahead of Korostolev No slight on the kid, hes special, but so is Strome.

See ya guys, try to pop in here more often.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:13 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I have nothing against Stephens or Strome, and Mapleleaf979 can attest, that last year I loved Bennett and Mckeown from the start of the year and felt that they would be top 5 picks, and so far they are showing that. But this year I cant see it in any GTHL player.
Chew go read the 96 prospects thread. U made 100 predictions, one was bound to be right.

I mentioned Mckeown going #2 go look it up. Dont steal my thunder, lol.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:13 PM
chewerjones

Good to see you back Tigers1992.

You are questioning me AGAIN. I thought you got enough from me last year. LOL

Lets talk again in a month or so.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:17 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Hes right. Outside of McGlynn (IMO, could be wrong), all will be top 40 picks.
McGlynn may be a tad later, thats fair.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Good to see you back Tigers1992.

You are questioning me AGAIN. I thought you got enough from me last year. LOL

Lets talk again in a month or so.
New scouting job, no time.

Top 5 IMO are(alphabetically) Kirwan, Konecny, Spencer, Strome, Werenski.

Werenski and Kirwan will come, but pick thier spots. Korostelev will fall in that 5-7 range.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:21 PM
skating101

You can't compare the 96 GTHL talent pool that kind of depth only comes around once every 10 years!

97 GTHL depth is average at best but on the heels of what we were treated to last year it is hard to watch

Old
01-10-2013, 07:27 PM
mapleleaf979

I agree Konecny goes high in the draft, especially if others wont report, his skill is loud and clear @ the minor midget level. The physical OHL in my view will present Konecny with several struggles. I think intimidation will play a BIG part, his size is lacking. 5-8 or 5-9 150 max. Things have always been easy for alot of these guys from the age of 3. Next year is the biggest jump to date. For some of the higher skilled guys, they can quit as they have never seen so much resistance and equality in games they have played.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:29 PM
skating101

Quote:
New scouting job, no time.

Top 5 IMO are(alphabetically) Kirwan, Konecny, Spencer, Strome, Werenski.

Werenski and Kirwan will come, but pick thier spots. Korostelev will fall in that 5-7 range.
any news on Sean Day's situation?

Old
01-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
McGlynn may be a tad later, thats fair.
Personally not on my list of goaltenders.

Timpano, Blacker, Johnston, Helvig, Sabourin, Longo, Christe, McNiven, Carlson (Washington), Opilka (St. Louis) are the top of the group IMO.

Could be wrong on him, not the first time ive missed on a goalie.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
I agree Konecny goes high in the draft, especially if others wont report, his skill is loud and clear @ the minor midget level. The physical OHL in my view will present Konecny with several struggles. I think intimidation will play a BIG part, his size is lacking. 5-8 or 5-9 150 max. Things have always been easy for alot of these guys from the age of 3. Next year is the biggest jump to date. For some of the higher skilled guys, they can quit as they have never seen so much resistance and equality in games they have played.
I personally think he will be fine. Brett Thompson, Jason Akeson, Chris MacKinnon, Andrew Agozzino
all had alot less talent and where important OHL players. He should be better then them, he is at the same age. He'll struggle at the NHL level if he doesnt grow, but the OHL has had alot of smaller bodied players succeed, and that was before Branch took alot of bite out of the league.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
any news on Sean Day's situation?
No application made yet. Agent (Jason Woolley) and Branch are working on it. He's a top end talent, no doubt, but has some room to grow with his decision making. Id take him#1 thou, if he is eligible.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:52 PM
skating101

Quote:
No application made yet. Agent (Jason Woolley) and Branch are working on it. He's a top end talent, no doubt, but has some room to grow with his decision making. Id take him#1 thou, if he is eligible.
Word on the street is Branch would like ES to be a more frequent occurrence promotes and brings more exciting attention the OHL way

Old
01-10-2013, 07:59 PM
LKF

First time poster but been reading for a few years. Frankly tired of reading you guys slag the 97 group. How did the elite group of 96's do at under 17s? Worst showing by Ontario ever I believe. I will bet you here and now the 97's do better next year. While I agree the top 96's may have a slight advantage over the 97s at this point I believe the 97 age group has far more depth. The 97's have more depth from the D for sure. Many of the 96 D are really struggling this year. If the 97's are so weak how did CMD only get 1 goal in his only time ever against his own age group at the all state game. Don't count the penalty (shoot out goal) that doesn't happen in real hockey and his 3rd goal was after the tie in a shootout. But in 60 minutes he got 1 goal? if the age group is so crap how did he not put up more points than he did in last years 96 all star game?
I don't get your love in with the Russian. He is good for sure, but not elite. He has been anointed by you guys because he played up last year. He had a strong start to the year but really didn't do much in the few weeks before his injury and has done very little since returning. He has a heavy shot but no way near as accurate as a Solitaro was last year. I am disappointed when Canadians promote one over there own. We are allowing these players to come here take spots from our boys then go back to there countries to kick our ass in junior. I don't know but just seems the system is broken in mho.
The G also gets a bad rap. If you use the Marlie tournament as an indicator ALL of the G teams gave every O and alliance team a run for there money.
VK tied OR
YS barely beat Nats -3-2 and senators 3-2
LKgG beat NYR 4-2
DMF beat Kingston 3-1
Nats beat Whitby 5-2
Barrie 3-2 over Markham Majors
Bottom G teams gave top teams all they could handle.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:02 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Personally not on my list of goaltenders.

Timpano, Blacker, Johnston, Helvig, Sabourin, Longo, Christe, McNiven, Carlson (Washington), Opilka (St. Louis) are the top of the group IMO.

Could be wrong on him, not the first time ive missed on a goalie.
Opilka and Carlsson are unbelieveable from what ive been hearing and very impressive in a recent tournament down south. Nice goalie list. Semaio on YSE, a real big-game goalie granted his size is on the small end. Excellent technique and rebound control. Semaio battles hard, his glove hand is excellent. Ben Blacker is committed to Western Michigan.

Not sure how well u know the 98's, but Honeybaked 98's Michael Latorella Goaltender is a very, very special goaltender.

Brayden St.Germaine I still like this goalie from the 96 crop. I really believe in this kids long term abilities. He is doing well with the Kanata Stallions, playing Junior B. I was able to watch a few of his starts this year. Im thinking an OHL team might invite him to camp or he can re-enter the draft if im not mistaken.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:07 PM
LKF

Best goalie from Washington area is Lackie. Already invited to US development program.
6'3 great athlete goes to Exeter.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:12 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Word on the street is Branch would like ES to be a more frequent occurrence promotes and brings more exciting attention the OHL way
Not really. If he grants it and the player struggle's in the OHL, that will recieve a ton of negative attention from the media. It will be labeled a big mistake. 3 people have been given ES and 6 denied. Day will get it and be #1. No question about it. Talks began in Whitby during Silver Sticks.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:16 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowswhattowatch View Post
First time poster but been reading for a few years. Frankly tired of reading you guys slag the 97 group. How did the elite group of 96's do at under 17s? Worst showing by Ontario ever I believe.
Don't make it an emotional issue, its not. Some people have options, if they are wrong, so be it. I have been watching the draft for a long, long time, and the 96's are a special group. Doesn't matter what happened at the U17's, thats a team event. That team ran into one heck of a hot goalie against Quebec (I was there, kid stood on his head).

Just like Vaughan beat Elgin, tied Oakville. Anything can happen in a single game. Thats why we are out watching players 15-20 times. 15 year old kids have bad days, I have a bad day, you have a bad day. What matters is, what type of player they will be, not who they lost to in a random minor midget game.

Quote:
If the 97's are so weak how did CMD only get 1 goal in his only time ever against his own age group at the all state game. Don't count the penalty (shoot out goal) that doesn't happen in real hockey and his 3rd goal was after the tie in a shootout. But in 60 minutes he got 1 goal? if the age group is so crap how did he not put up more points than he did in last years 96 all star game?
Its a summer All Star game. You can't judge an entire age group off of a single game, especailly one that has zero cosiquenses. McDavid was a star that game, but it doesnt matter, its a single game in July.

Quote:
I don't get your love in with the Russian. He is good for sure, but not elite. He has been anointed by you guys because he played up last year. He had a strong start to the year but really didn't do much in the few weeks before his injury and has done very little since returning. He has a heavy shot but no way near as accurate as a Solitaro was last year. I am disappointed when Canadians promote one over there own. We are allowing these players to come here take spots from our boys then go back to there countries to kick our ass in junior. I don't know but just seems the system is broken in mho.
And im not sure why you need to refer to him as 'The Russian'. His name is Nikita Korostelev, and he is a talented player, thats why we like him. I don't care where he played last year, who he played with, the results THIS YEAR suggest that he is a top 10 pick for the draft. Nikita has chosen to play here in Ontario, which speaks great for our development model here. Im shocked that someone would judge him solely based on his nationality. He took 'a spot' away from a player who wasn't good enough. Sorry, thats hockey. If someone has to play AA because they where not good enough to get one of the 200 spots in the GTHL, he must not be THAT good.

Quote:
The G also gets a bad rap. If you use the Marlie tournament as an indicator ALL of the G teams gave every O and alliance team a run for there money.
VK tied OR
YS barely beat Nats -3-2 and senators 3-2
LKgG beat NYR 4-2
DMF beat Kingston 3-1
Nats beat Whitby 5-2
Barrie 3-2 over Markham Majors
Bottom G teams gave top teams all they could handle.
Again, don't use single game indicators to judge teams, your setting yourself up for failure. The 93 North York Rangers beat the 93 York Simcoe Express. That 93 Ranger team had 0 NHL picks, while the York Simcoe Express had both Ryan Murphy and Daniel Catenacci, plus 2-3 NCAA guys and 5-6 other OHL players.

York Simcoe was light years ahead of them, but had a bad game. It happens.

If you don't think what people post on here is correct...then don't read it? If you think that their opinions are inncorrect, it shouldnt matter.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 01-10-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old
01-10-2013, 08:20 PM
skating101

Quote:
Not really. If he grants it and the player struggle's in the OHL, that will recieve a ton of negative attention from the media. It will be labeled a big mistake. 3 people have been given ES and 6 denied. Day will get it and be #1. No question about it. Talks began in Whitby during Silver Sticks.
When I say a frequent occurrence I mean a yearly precipitant spot to be filled every draft year! I donít agree and believe the ES will lose its prestige pinnacle.

Plus can't see HC supporting the plan.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:29 PM
wingman22

Quote:
When I say a frequent occurrence I mean a yearly precipitant spot to be filled every draft year! I donít agree and believe the ES will lose its prestige pinnacle.

Plus can't see HC supporting the plan.
Day wll not report to Petes. If Ottawa has first pick he will be okay with ES. Before he says okay he will wait to see positioning. Guaranteed !
Also out of the mix is Yan and NK will not be allowed the enter the draft. This is also fact.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Also out of the mix is Yan and NK will not be allowed the enter the draft. This is also fact.
Yan and Korostelev are listed as an eligible players with OHL central scouting.

I do believe that Yan has committed to the US program as well, which should see him fall to the second round. Still a top 10 talent thou.

Quote:
Day wll not report to Petes. If Ottawa has first pick he will be okay with ES. Before he says okay he will wait to see positioning. Guaranteed !
Day won't get approved without acknoledging that he will go where he is drafted. Ted Baker will say that 'they are subject to the same rules as other players', but in reality, no player gets exeptional status without agreeing to go where they get drafted, all part of the mental testing. Branch wouldnt allow it any other way.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 01-10-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old
01-10-2013, 08:38 PM
skating101

Quote:
Yan and Korostelev are listed as an eligible players with OHL central scouting.
Heard Yan will work a deal with Sarnia and yes Korostelev is an eligible player with OHL central scouting

Old
01-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Heard Yan will work a deal with Sarnia and yes Korostelev is an eligible player with OHL central scouting
Could be. He is a Pulver/Larionov client, they like Sarnia/Windsor. That may be why they are floating the U17 stuff out there. I have no idea to be honest.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:43 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Say's who? John Macfarland said he wouldnt go to Erie when he was rejected ES, it did not go over well. If Day plays that card, it will not go over well. That pickiness can show a glimpse of character issues.

Yan apparently is going the US NTDP route.

"Special K" will be in the OHL draft.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:50 PM
mapleleaf979

Im wondering what 98 Lafontaine(DMF goalie) what he is doing in the top prospects game? Im curious the reasoning there. If he isnt going for ES and its based on how well they think he is doing playing up, than Adam Mascherin should have been there first and foremost as he has excelled against the 97's. Id rather have only those being drafted or granted ES, playing in this game. Not sure if Lafontaine intends to apply.

Closed Thread