HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2013 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge (Dec. 29-Jan. 4) Sweden Wins It

Old
01-06-2013, 02:32 AM
Ilyeu

vCash: 500
Great job Sweden winning. No seriously good job, all 25 fans in attendance were supportive.
Maybe next year Canada can put in 8 more regions and increase their chances of winning.

Last edited by Ilyeu: 01-06-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Ilyeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 02:54 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyeu View Post
Great job Sweden winning. No seriously good job, all 25 fans in attendance were supportive.
Maybe next year Canada can put in 8 more regions and increase their chances of winning.
It will only increase the attendance

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 04:05 AM
William H Bonney

I unfortunately missed a lot of the last half of this tournament but congratulations to Team Sweden. Well done.

01-06-2013, 04:40 AM
Tomas W

Swedens -96ers looks really good. Gold and that without players like Petter Mäkitalo (wonder why he wasnt on the team, can someone enlighten me?) and Rasmus Andersson.

Of course they all have a long way to go to become professional hockey players. But the depth is really good for Swedish hockey.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 05:09 AM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Swedens -96ers looks really good. Gold and that without players like Petter Mäkitalo (wonder why he wasnt on the team, can someone enlighten me?) and Rasmus Andersson.

Of course they all have a long way to go to become professional hockey players. But the depth is really good for Swedish hockey.
Racism against finnish names?

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 06:21 AM
Swedelicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post

Mäkitalo must be injuried. He has 27 goals in 20 games with his Skellefteå J18 Elit-team, and he has produced in the national U17-team as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Racism against finnish names?
Well, we had Sebastian Aho on the team.

Swedelicious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
Funny how everybody thinks they need to take down the best. Next time we win should we skate by your bench and taunt your players or perhaps we should just take the net off it's moorings an d leave handy for the last two minutes of the game. Putz!
I don't like taunting by anyone, but in fairness, you couldn't tell by the television picture whether the Canadians shared the blame or not. From the TV view that I saw, you could only see the Canadian player on the end of the bench. You couldn't see what the players down the row were doing or saying. From my perspective, and I'll admit I'm a fan of the Russians, it looked like the taunts were in response to something coming from the bench. In effect, retaliation. That's the impression I got. At any rate, Canadian teams pride themselves on employing a banging style on the ice, and that's not going to win any love or friendship from among the opposition.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I don't like taunting by anyone, but in fairness, you couldn't tell by the television picture whether the Canadians shared the blame or not. From the TV view that I saw, you could only see the Canadian player on the end of the bench. You couldn't see what the players down the row were doing or saying. From my perspective, and I'll admit I'm a fan of the Russians, it looked like the taunts were in response to something coming from the bench. In effect, retaliation. That's the impression I got. At any rate, Canadian teams pride themselves on employing a banging style on the ice, and that's not going to win any love or friendship from among the opposition.
The Canadian players often did the crest bump after goals. I'm not sure they intentionally did it in front of the opposing bench, as usually they were doing it to the fans, but occasionally they ended up in that area. Personally I find the whole thing kind of funny b

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
The Canadian players often did the crest bump after goals. I'm not sure they intentionally did it in front of the opposing bench, as usually they were doing it to the fans, but occasionally they ended up in that area. Personally I find the whole thing kind of funny b
Agreed. If that's all the hostility we ever see in hockey, the sport will probably be better off for it.

Old
01-06-2013, 03:30 PM
canuck2010

Quote:
Agreed. If that's all the hostility we ever see in hockey, the sport will probably be better off for it.
Hey Yak, my response was aimed at ViD and his particularily stupid remark. At the end of the day even if these guys are elite hockey players they are still kids. It's not surprising really, you would see that from any group of kids anywhere. Catch you at the U18 in a few months.

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Mrpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedelicious View Post
Mäkitalo must be injuried. He has 27 goals in 20 games with his Skellefteå J18 Elit-team, and he has produced in the national U17-team as well.

Well, we had Sebastian Aho on the team.
Mäkitalo didn't score any goals at all in the elitecamp. There was simply better players than him available.

Did Bagenda play well? One of the most dominant players in j18 elit imo.

Mrpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Actually, this is an advantage, not a disadvantage. All it takes to knock off one team is a bad day. To keep five teams off the podium (with major talent spread out the way it is) is somewhat of a national embarrassment.
Right. In the same way if Russia doesn't win the World Championships, there's a good chance Ukraine, Latvia, Belarus or Kazahkstan will pick up the slack. Which is why former Soviet Republics win more medals than the old USSR ever did.

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
Funny how everybody thinks they need to take down the best. Next time we win should we skate by your bench and taunt your players or perhaps we should just take the net off it's moorings an d leave handy for the last two minutes of the game. Putz!
The best? hahaha... you mean the once with biggest egos. Next time better artificial lights

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:19 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpm View Post
Mäkitalo didn't score any goals at all in the elitecamp. There was simply better players than him available.

Did Bagenda play well? One of the most dominant players in j18 elit imo.
Yes he did. He was used in a checking line, did that very well but also contributed with offense. He's got soft hands. I can see why he's dominant in J18 with that size and speed combo.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
Right. In the same way if Russia doesn't win the World Championships, there's a good chance Ukraine, Latvia, Belarus or Kazahkstan will pick up the slack. Which is why former Soviet Republics win more medals than the old USSR ever did.
I have no idea what this post means. If Ukraine, Latvia, Belarus or Kazakhstan have ever won the World Championships, it would be at the Group B level. On the other hand, the USSR won the World Championships numerous times. I must be missing your point.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
I have no idea what this post means. If Ukraine, Latvia, Belarus or Kazakhstan have ever won the World Championships, it would be at the Group B level. On the other hand, the USSR won the World Championships numerous times. I must be missing your point.
I was responding to the poster who felt that the more Canada was spit up into different teams, the better it had a chance to win. I was being somewhat sarcastic.

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:38 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
I was responding to the poster who felt that the more Canada was spit up into different teams, the better it had a chance to win. I was being somewhat sarcastic.
I was a little slow on the uptake with that. If Canada just wants to win, then you are no doubt correct. I don't know whether winning is their exclusive goal with this tournament. They may want to evaluate a wider range of players in an international competition.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:18 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

I told you guys I would be attending this tournament and would post my impressions.

Here's my first of five text about it.

Team USA : http://everythinghockeyinquebec.blogspot.ca/

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:21 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Or maybe HC is split up too much, should send three teams only, similar to the CHLs. This would also help down the road in WJCs as it would give the players an opportunity to play together more. They would get to know each other on and off the ice. The other countries send only one team and they stay together longer only having to add and delete a few players here and there. I know not every player on stays on their national teams but I am sure that quite few do.
Hockey Canada splits up like that to give a nice experience to 100 kids, instead of 20 like the other countries. Had a chat with a few Team West kids and they seemed pretty happy about their tournament even though they ended 9th experience-wise. I'm fine with that. Canada had 3 competitive teams in the tournament that could have won medals. It didn't happen, so what?

QuebecPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:37 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Hockey Canada splits up like that to give a nice experience to 100 kids, instead of 20 like the other countries. Had a chat with a few Team West kids and they seemed pretty happy about their tournament even though they ended 9th experience-wise. I'm fine with that. Canada had 3 competitive teams in the tournament that could have won medals. It didn't happen, so what?
You have a good point there, for a lot of this kids this is mostly a development tournament. Doesnt really matter if you end up first or last as long as you think you get some experience out of it.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote