HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Brunner & Z tearing up the NLA

Old
12-11-2012, 01:58 AM
Tomas W

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
It was fun to see Henrik Zetterberg at distribution of prizes at the Floorball World Championships. The tournament was in Switzerland, so quite clever to ask a hockey superstar to be there and raise the hype a bit.

Sweden beat Finland 11-4 at the final after a total dominance.
Clever move by having Zetterberg there yes. Not that I think the sport is going to be world sport anytime soon, but it would be nice if there would be at least 3-4 competitive national teams, instead of just two as it stand now.

Finlands floorball team went down to earth with a chrash there though.

Floorball will always be game that is more fun to play than watch though...I wonder if the Swedish and Finnish NHL'ers play any floorball in spare time. Not officially if so I guess, I've read that anything more "dangerous" than golf is not allowed, because of the injury risk.

Last edited by Tomas W: 12-11-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2012, 05:04 AM
InjuredChoker

Teräväinen has background in floorball. You can see that how he enters the zone, the way he keeps he's body and uses he's hands.

When I was in the army, lots of hockey players played floorball during that (short period of) time. They had hockey players vs. floorball players cup in floorball.. iirc floorball players won 6-5 and got their pizzas .

For what it's worth.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 01:37 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Zetterberg talks about Brunner:

Quote:
"He's obviously a goal scorer, but he has more qualities than that," Zetterberg said. "He's a good skater and he sees the ice very well and he wants to win. He hates losing, and that's a good quality to have.

"We had a good team and the line we played with had good chemistry. It was a chance to play a lot of minutes, it was fun."

"He has to nothing more to prove over there, this is the next step in his career," Zetterberg said. "We're glad he picked us to do that with."
From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2HbSGZKKI

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:10 PM
chokei

What number will Brunner be allowed to wear most likely? He wore #96 in Switzerland and in international games, but I think he won't get that number as a rookie in Detroit so shortly after Holmströms retirement?
Not that his number really matters... but #96 is an awesome number IMO. Bure wore it pretty well too during his days.

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Goalie guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
What number will Brunner be allowed to wear most likely? He wore #96 in Switzerland and in international games, but I think he won't get that number as a rookie in Detroit so shortly after Holmströms retirement?
Not that his number really matters... but #96 is an awesome number IMO. Bure wore it pretty well too during his days.
I really do not think it matters about Holmström having that number, it is not going into the rafters or anything so I say if that is his number he gets it.

Goalie guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 02:59 PM
Jurky
I heart Tats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie guy View Post
I really do not think it matters about Holmström having that number, it is not going into the rafters or anything so I say if that is his number he gets it.

Not gonna happen, and nor should it. They should wait at least a season or 2 before letting someone take Homer's number

According to mlive Brunner will wear #24

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....en_brunne.html

Quote:
Brunner, who will wear No. 24

Last edited by Jurky: 01-10-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:05 PM
TatarTangle

What is it with these small, soft Europeans that enjoy wearing Bob &$^##&* Probert's number?

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake28 View Post
What is it with these small, soft Europeans that enjoy wearing Bob &$^##&* Probert's number?
Didn't know that Chris Chelios was European. I know he has Greek roots but...

Old
01-10-2013, 03:52 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Do you know those Swiss guys who are made those earlier videos about Brunner? I think there was pretty much new material to make extended versions about his play with Zetterberg.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:58 PM
the5cats

I saw nearly all the home matches of EVZug with Z and Brunner plus 4-5 on the road matches.

Every time the were on the ice there had goal chances. Even in the last 5 games, when they only scored 3 goals, when both of them were on the ice, out of 12 they both had so many chances.
But exactly this left me with some doubts: from the 20th december they didn't score so much, they were much less efficient and I had the impression that Brunner looked a bit tired, not so fresh. Before leaving he had some days off and maybe he charged his batteries.
NHL will be much harder especially body wise. He won't have so much time to see where Z is, even if I must say they were quite quick in finding each other. On the other side they were on the ice much longer than normal, sometimes over 1.5 to 2 minutes. The other teams changed in that time at least twice.

the5cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by the5cats View Post
NHL will be much harder especially body wise. He won't have so much time to see where Z is, even if I must say they were quite quick in finding each other. On the other side they were on the ice much longer than normal, sometimes over 1.5 to 2 minutes. The other teams changed in that time at least twice.
Thanks for the info. It really looked like they played 25 minutes per game there. In NHL, Brunner will get 15 minutes at maximum. He is gonna score less , of course, and goalieas are better, but that should help him not getting exhausted.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:24 PM
wingfan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
Thanks for the info. It really looked like they played 25 minutes per game there. In NHL, Brunner will get 15 minutes at maximum. He is gonna score less , of course, and goalieas are better, but that should help him not getting exhausted.
I don't know of a single player slated to start the season on the first line and most likely power play that plays 15 minutes a game. My guess is he averages somewhere around 18, which is still substantially less than the 25 he was averaging overseas, but 15 max is 3rd line minutes.

wingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:27 PM
the5cats

Do you think he'll be used in PP situations?

the5cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by the5cats View Post
Do you think he'll be used in PP situations?
Babcock likes to use his forward lines in units - so odds are he'll be on the top PP with Datsyuk and Z.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:36 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Babcock's decision to start Brunner on line one shows an inconsistency in ways.

Can't play Nyquist on line one because he hasn't "earned it."
Can't play Hudler on a scoring line because he hasn't "earned it."

Babcock scouts a guy, gets Kenny to signing him, and puts him on line 1.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post

When did he say this?

Old
01-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfan View Post
I don't know of a single player slated to start the season on the first line and most likely power play that plays 15 minutes a game. My guess is he averages somewhere around 18, which is still substantially less than the 25 he was averaging overseas, but 15 max is 3rd line minutes.
We'll see. We are a deep team that will separate the minutes maybe more evenly than others. Also this "putting Brunner to 1st line" -jargon doesn't guarantee 18 minutes for him. If he has some defensive flaws in his game, Babcock will use somebody else like Cleary there in some situations.

At Last season, we had clear Top4 in 19-17 minutes. Zeta, Dats, Mule, Flip.

Then came that middle 3, Cleary, Huds, Bertuzzi ~15 minutes. Brunner goes into this group at maximum to take the Hudler's spot. That more of 2nd line, not 3rd line minutes.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:22 PM
The Nose
#BlameTheKids

Quote:

I know Babcock has never literally said they didn't "earn it", but I completely agree with you CB.

You'd think Nyquist would get the first shot since he's been with the organization for years, while Brunner has been with the team for less than half a year. But apparently Brunner is an exception. It's weird how Nyquist isn't even given a chance. Seems desperate if you ask me.

Do I hate the decision? No. But I think it's kind of hypocritical to what's been the "theme" in Deteoit for the past decade.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:27 PM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
I know Babcock has never literally said they didn't "earn it", but I completely agree with you CB.

You'd think Nyquist would get the first shot since he's been with the organization for years, while Brunner has been with the team for less than half a year. But apparently Brunner is an exception. It's weird how Nyquist isn't even given a chance. Seems desperate if you ask me.

Do I hate the decision? No. But I think it's kind of hypocritical to what's been the "theme" in Deteoit for the past decade.
So, Babcock should base his lines on seniority with the team? I think Nyquist is going to be a very good hockey player, but if Babcock thinks Brunner is a better fit or better hockey player than Nyquist then he should get more IT. Keep in mind Brunner was a free agent, he's not some rookie that we just drafted and is getting special treatment over Nyquist.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:39 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
When did he say this?
Hudler was delivered a quick message at training camp, beginning his time in Traverse City on a line with Fabian Brunnstrom and Ryan Johnson.

"Those things can't be given to you for free," Babcock said at the time

Old
01-10-2013, 06:40 PM
The Nose
#BlameTheKids

Quote:
So, Babcock should base his lines on seniority with the team? I think Nyquist is going to be a very good hockey player, but if Babcock thinks Brunner is a better fit or better hockey player than Nyquist then he should get more IT. Keep in mind Brunner was a free agent, he's not some rookie that we just drafted and is getting special treatment over Nyquist.
No I'm not saying what he is doing is temendously wrong. What I'm saying is that this is kind of different than Babcock's normal philosophy in which seniority IS a main factor.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:47 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Brunner has proved nothing. He scored some points overseas. And he's getting a shot on a line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Jesus Christ. If you don't see that as a gift....

Babcock is giving his "find" the best possible opportunity you can gave a guy in the NHL
Meanwhile guys who worked their way through the system and put up impressive points

I don't really care. Because I'm all for giving a guy a shot.

But if you're willing to take a shot like this with Brunner, why didn't we give more of a shot to Brunstrom and Leino and Mursak and everyone else?

Old
01-10-2013, 06:55 PM
The Nose
#BlameTheKids

Quote:
Brunner has proved nothing. He scored some points overseas. And he's getting a shot on a line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Babcock is giving his "find" the best possible opportunity you can gave a guy in the NHL
Meanwhile guys who worked their way through the system and put up impressive points

But if you're willing to take a shot like this with Brunner, why didn't we give more of a shot to Brunstrom and Leino and Mursak and everyone else?
Sums up my thoughts better than I could.

It's just weird how much confidence Babcock seems to have in Brunner.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote:

Who cares? Especially if it works out. Call it whatever you want, but the idea that this has to be like pee-wee hockey where everyone gets a 'chance' is silly.

I agree that Nyquist should have been in the lineup for a while now. I agree that he should start in the top 6 over Samuelsson or at very least in the top 9 over guys like Bertuzzi and Cleary. I don't think Holland or Babcock is doing this team any favors by not playing Nyquist right now, especially where we're at. But hey, the season hasn't even start, who knows what will happen.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
Sums up my thoughts better than I could.

It's just weird how much confidence Babcock seems to have in Brunner.
Why is it weird? He's obviously watched a ton of tape on him, talked to coaches and likes the fact that he can skate and seemed to mesh with Z. I know Babcock was talking about him before the lockout. I mean, hardly any of us know anything about Brunner or what he can do. So I suppose we'll see how weird it is.