HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers interested in Luongo?

Old
01-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Diamonddog01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
And players tend to walk when their team is undercutting their value by 25%
Certainly. There's a strong possibility that Edler will walk, as did Ehrhoff due to how Gillis handles the Canucks defense (internal salary cap in which players tend not to get more than 4.6M per season). I'm not a fan but it is what it is.

If Edler enters free agency next summer why would he choose Philly over a potential 28 other suitors however? Philadelphia's chances are undoubtedly better to sign him if he plays the year there.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 06:52 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimalist View Post
Most, not all.

I do believe that Edler plans to walk, and I do believe that Gillis will do what he must to find a replacement at the deadline and dish him off to a contender as a rental. We could get a nice haul from him.

But what does this have to do with how badly you all obviously want Luongo?

Oh, and did you hear that Brayden Schenn hates puppies? What kind of sadistic individual hates puppies? You probably won't want him after hearing this haunting news.
You forget, we are Flyers fans. According to the main board stereotype we probably all hate puppies and kick them for fun. B. Schenn fits right in with us.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:04 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Certainly. There's a strong possibility that Edler will walk, as did Ehrhoff due to how Gillis handles the Canucks defense (internal salary cap in which players tend not to get more than 4.6M per season). I'm not a fan but it is what it is.

If Edler enters free agency next summer why would he choose Philly over a potential 28 other suitors however? Philadelphia's chances are undoubtedly better to sign him if he plays the year there.
With the exception of having 5 months to negotiate an extension for him. Dealing for him now or signing him as a UFA has the same chance of us getting him. The difference is the assets we are giving up for the 5 months to sign him. But go ahead pretend you can get full market value for him for the next couple months by all means. When he walks July 1st without recieving anything back we will be waiting!

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Minimalist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
With the exception of having 5 months to negotiate an extension for him. Dealing for him now or signing him as a UFA has the same chance of us getting him. The difference is the assets we are giving up for the 5 months to sign him. But go ahead pretend you can get full market value for him for the next couple months by all means. When he walks July 1st without recieving anything back we will be waiting!
While I'm not advocating that guy coming onto other team's forums and being a knob, I gotta say that Edler will net a nice futures package at the deadline. Someone will give up a 1st and one of their better prospects to have him for their run.

Minimalist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:28 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
While I'm not advocating that guy coming onto other team's forums and being a knob, I gotta say that Edler will net a nice futures package at the deadline. Someone will give up a 1st and one of their better prospects to have him for their run.
You're saying that VAN won't be in playoff contention at the deadline?

I'll give you a 1st+Gustafsson at the deadline for Edler to come over for a playoff push.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Minimalist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
You're saying that VAN won't be in playoff contention at the deadline?

I'll give you a 1st+Gustafsson at the deadline for Edler to come over for a playoff push.
I'm having faith that my GM will do what he can to work some magic and find at least an acceptable replacement for Edler by the deadline so we can move him and not lose him for nothing.

There is a reason that most rumors surrounding Luongo revolve around Gillis wanting a top 4d. Imo.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:32 PM
Krishna

Quote:
I'm having faith that my GM will do what he can to work some magic and find at least an acceptable replacement for Edler by the deadline so we can move him and not lose him for nothing.

There is a reason that most rumors surrounding Luongo revolve around Gillis wanting a top 4d. Imo.
Timonen and a 1st for Edler

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:36 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Would you rather have Timonen or Edler for a playoff run?

No to that is a no-brainer.

I will however point out that we can very easily give Edler a huge chunk of Timonen's money after this year.

Coburn - Edler
Grossmann - Schenn
Meszaros - Gustafsson/Manning/Bourdon/Gervais

I'd be down for that in 2013-14. Fingers crossed.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Minimalist*

Quote:
My first instinct was to call that a ruse to not include a top prospect with a 1st for Edler.

But then I thought about it a little more. If Vancouver can't find anything by the deadline in means of replacement, this is a perfect deal for Van.

We get a solid D replacement to go on our run, and a 1st to compensate the loss of Edler. It's not ideal, I'd really want a high end prospect coming back as well, but I really could see something like this as the best option in a bad situation.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would be willing to give a 1st and a prospect for him at the deadline. Any one of Couturier/Schenn/Voracek/Simmonds >>>>>>>>>>>>> 1st and a prospect though. Those guys are all in our top 9 theres a significant difference between any one of them and picks and prospects. If a 1st and Gus or something similair get us him at the Deadline that is totally reasonable.

PALE PWNR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:53 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Who would you guys rather have, Kulikov or Edler?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:54 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Would you rather have Timonen or Edler for a playoff run?

No to that is a no-brainer.

I will however point out that we can very easily give Edler a huge chunk of Timonen's money after this year.

Coburn - Edler
Grossmann - Schenn
Meszaros - Gustafsson/Manning/Bourdon/Gervais

I'd be down for that in 2013-14. Fingers crossed.
While I love Timonen, I feel that if this is truly his last season, let him go somewhere that he stands a better chance of winning. Consensus around here seems to be winning the first round and then out

Another option could be Read + 1st or Briere + 2nd or something like that

Roster for next year :

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds
Akeson/Cousins - Laughton - Talbot
Rinaldo - Holmstrom - FA signing

Coburn - Edler
Grossmann - Schenn
Meszaros - Gustafsson

Old
01-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Who would you guys rather have, Kulikov or Edler?
In a vacuum? Probably Kulikov

But Edler is more realistic.

He's a UFA after this season and is expected to walk.

Kulikov is a RFA and Florida would probably want a lot for him. Another option is to offersheet him

Old
01-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Prongo
Beer

Kulikov. His potential is to be better than Edler and come cheaper and locked up longer. Like Krishna said though, Edler is more realistic.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:59 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
While I love Timonen, I feel that if this is truly his last season, let him go somewhere that he stands a better chance of winning. Consensus around here seems to be winning the first round and then out

Another option could be Read + 1st or Briere + 2nd or something like that

Roster for next year :

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds
Akeson/Cousins - Laughton - Talbot
Rinaldo - Holmstrom - FA signing

Coburn - Edler
Grossmann - Schenn
Meszaros - Gustafsson
So according to your roster, we're trading Timonen, Read and Briere for Edler?

Old
01-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Krishna

Quote:
So according to your roster, we're trading Timonen, Read and Briere for Edler?
No, timonen is probably gone after this season anyways.

As for Briere/Read, I was going to slot one of them in the 2 or 3 C spot and push the rest of the centers down a slot but overlooked it as I did it

edit : I'd probably also change the 4th line to a line with great defensive play like we had in 2010

Old
01-10-2013, 08:04 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Kulikov. His potential is to be better than Edler and come cheaper and locked up longer. Like Krishna said though, Edler is more realistic.
I agree. But I do feel like we could put a package together for Kulikov that wouldn't hurt us all that much.

Maybe something like Read, Laughton, 1st 2013, 3rd 2013.

Read gives them ~20+ goals on the wing for cheap, Laughton gives them a future 2nd-3rd line, 2 way center behind Huberdeau, and the picks could help them perhaps select another defenseman to groom.

We lose read and our already shaky situation on the wing gets a bit worse, but then we have a replacement for Timonen in Kulikov and a chance to sign someone like Corey Perry in free agency. A for Laughton, with Giroux, Schenn and Couturier down the middle for the future, Laughton better serves us as a trading chip IMO.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I agree. But I do feel like we could put a package together for Kulikov that wouldn't hurt us all that much.

Maybe something like Read, Laughton, 1st 2013, 3rd 2013.

Read gives them ~20+ goals on the wing for cheap, Laughton gives them a future 2nd-3rd line, 2 way center behind Huberdeau, and the picks could help them perhaps select another defenseman to groom.

We lose read and our already shaky situation on the wing gets a bit worse, but then we have a replacement for Timonen in Kulikov and a chance to sign someone like Corey Perry in free agency.
Seems a bit steep.

Jack de la Hoya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:07 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Seems a bit steep.
For Kulikov? I don't think so

Old
01-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Prongo
Beer

If we are sending all that, I say try to Gudbranson. Think that kid is a stud. Might not take as much to get either.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:12 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
If we are sending all that, I say try to Gudbranson. Think that kid is a stud. Might not take as much to get either.
I wouldn't be so sure. I think they like gudbranson more than Kulikov down there. From an organizational standpoint at least. My concern is that we then have very little offense from the back end, especially since we're likely losing Timonen in the offseason. Kulikov is a bit more rounded in terms of offensive production than Gudbranson. But I do really like him as well.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:18 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
The most you'd offer is something around Read. You honestly think that's good value, and a win-now team would go for that? Speechless.

25 goals. 50 pts. 800k a yr. For next 3 yrs. AND defensively responsible to boot.

You really think that isnt 'good value'?

I agree. It isnt 'good value'. It's studendous value.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
I wouldn't be so sure. I think they like gudbranson more than Kulikov down there. From an organizational standpoint at least. My concern is that we then have very little offense from the back end, especially since we're likely losing Timonen in the offseason. Kulikov is a bit more rounded in terms of offensive production than Gudbranson. But I do really like him as well.
Yea he was Tallons first pick when he took over down there. They all say he will be the captain one day, and I agree. He could become the next Weber/Chara or that type if he develops like everyone hopes.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Both of them are outstanding young, developing defensemen. I seriously doubt either would be available, but Kulikov could be only because he's an RFA that you could sign to an offer sheet, then offer a trade in compensation. Because Florida is a budget team, they might be more inclined to take a trade than match the 5 or so million we could offer Kulikov.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Seriously? I've been nothing but respectful and polite in a discussion involving several prominent players from my favourite club.

I don't think Edler will be traded at the deadline. Just like Ehrhoff, the Canucks will keep him for the playoff run. Perhaps Gillis will manage to resign him.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote