HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

If you're black (or any other visible minority for that matter) how has hockey.....

Old
07-24-2012, 08:46 PM
tfong

vCash: 500
My team sticks me with two other Asians on he same line sometimes, I hate these all Asian lines since we're all small and people assume we can go fast lol.

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I've only played with females being in a small town. They get the usual "Hey girl, wanna come to our locker room after the game ?"

I've played against Indians and never heard anything towards them.

I did hear a white guy say to another white guy that he should stick to golf.... I don't even know what that means.
He should stick to golf because he is always out early and doesn't see the playoffs.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:16 PM
beenhereandthere

Just get really angry and frustrated with White players (usually) who give me crap and say things like you can't skate or don't belong here, based on "talent", but yet they don't say anything and/or are cool to another white players who are of equal or less talent. That's the subtle racism that drives minorities crazy.

beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:44 PM
TLow97

The first time I encountered anyone taking issue with me being African American and a hockey player was in high school... from African Americans. One student referred to me as a n***a on skates. Just the whole "Black people don't do this/aren't this way/don't like that/etc" bothers the crap out of me.

Other than that, never really had many problems.

TLow97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 01:58 PM
CoopALoop

I play on a team where I'm the only white guy (goalie) and on a team with mostly white guys.

While some race jokes are tossed around, they are normally harmless and made by the person who's ethnicity it is.

Asian guys laughing about how he should be doing homework and not hockey.

Black guy jokingly trying to bank in a ball of sock tape and missing, then saying: "****, this ***** aint from no hood".

Though, i've never seen on or off the ice any blatant forms of racism.

CoopALoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 02:10 PM
I Am Score*
---BradD---

Mostly with me it's the Euro guys you'll run into that get the most chirping.

Guys who can't really speak English and other guys completely troll them. Never had a problem with black, latino, or asian players.

This one guy was in the Ashburn Extreme, which is pretty hardcore, and he was black. His younger brother was also blakc.

He might've got some chirping but I don't remember. I do remember alot of people liking him so maybe some respect for doing something others wouldn't? He was damn good though.

I Am Score* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:15 PM
octopi

Well, I'm a woman and I suck at hockey.

People didn't much like me except in beginner which is where I stayed once I figured out how terrible I was. Between my uneven gait(which has stopped me from improving my skating past a certain point), my lack of eye hand coordination and my relatively diminutive size, i just have to stay at that level. I fit in with that group.

Even in beginner hockey, some guy was always trying to give me tips. I just nod and smile. Best not to tell them I've probably forgotten more about hockey than they know.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
I play high school hockey. High school kids are the biggest dicks on earth. We have one kid on our team who is black, openly gay, and Jewish, but I havn't heard anyone say anything negative to him about it on our team, or other teams.

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

I'm Cuban, play roller here in South Florida, played in a place where "anglos" were like 2 or 3....now play somewhere where me and a black guy are the only minorities, never have encountered anything to be honest, very nice group of guys all around which is nice to see, bigger melting pot here too though than some other areas maybe

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

French Canadians get a lot of **** in the locker room.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 08:32 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Well, I'm a woman and I suck at hockey.

People didn't much like me except in beginner which is where I stayed once I figured out how terrible I was. Between my uneven gait(which has stopped me from improving my skating past a certain point), my lack of eye hand coordination and my relatively diminutive size, i just have to stay at that level. I fit in with that group.

Even in beginner hockey, some guy was always trying to give me tips. I just nod and smile. Best not to tell them I've probably forgotten more about hockey than they know.
I admire your determination though, for what it's worth

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:23 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
French Canadians get a lot of **** in the locker room.
I've got a French Canadian guy in the locker room, and now that I think about it, he does get a lot of sarcastic yells in phony French accents. I never really thought about how that would feel, but I assume that it'd get pretty annoying quickly.

JoeCool16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 12:58 AM
Oh_so_saad

Just play hockey forget all the race [MOD]

Last edited by slocal: 01-14-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: creative spelling
Oh_so_saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:26 AM
Finnish your Czech
I love Olli Jokinen

vCash: 50
I remember when I was on the wing at a faceoff in front of the opposing team's bench some guy told me to go back to Mexico, which is weird because I am as white as you can get, and I have a Portuguese last name.

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:38 PM
JR97

Filipino in very white Utah. I've only had a couple of slurs thrown my way in all of my years. I just laughed it off since I was a skilled player back then and it probably had to do more with the scoreboard than my ethnicity. I had a hispanic teammate get a slur once and that resulted in a brawl.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
JR97

We've got a couple of russians on our team and they get a lot of crap from us. The youngster more so than the other. Both have super model super hot wives, so they just look at us like "whatever, dude."

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 03:45 PM
TheeNorthStar

I'm Hispanic (Bolivian) although I could pass as a white guy,I'm not brown I suppose but regardless... Here in MN, everyone has been nice to me and probably don't even realize I am Hispanic...

When I do walk into a rink I do feel like I get stared at a little harder by some people. I might just be wrong and playing tricks on myself but it feels that way ... Anyways, I haven't had any bad experiences. I think it all depends on where you play. Like in high level leagues and beer leagues that get really competitive , I'm sure you'll run into more loud mouths and dbags. If you're in a organized friendly league or organized pickup services, people are usually very nice and friendly with people just looking to have fun but yet still competitive but more controlled.

It must be a case of Minnesota Nice.

TheeNorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2013, 04:18 PM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Interesting, but of all the places I've been/lived, in the US anyway, I've seen more black players in Seattle, than any place else, I've lived, that even includes Metro Detroit.
Grew up playing hockey in the [Greater] Detroit area and ran into the same thing which is probably just due to the state of the city. The best team I ever played was an all black team though.

Doesn't matter what race you are, if you have the balls to lace up the skates and try to play this game, because it's not easy, you have my respect. If you're a defenseman and clear my rebounds and don't let anyone near me I may buy you a beer after too.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote