HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The worst cheap shot ever?

Old
06-14-2006, 12:50 PM
KariyaIsGod*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu98
have somebody the suter on kariya video?
thanks.
I've never seen a copy of that video rolling around.

Brutal hit.

Blatent cross check to the head after Kariya scores a goal...

Sickening.

KariyaIsGod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 01:01 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeffyuhTJRest
Bobby Clarke on Valeri Kharlamov
I second this. Pure intent to injure the other teams best player in order to gain an advange . Old time hockey at its worst.

TehDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Drewr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
I second this. Pure intent to injure the other teams best player in order to gain an advange . Old time hockey at its worst.
Abso-frigging-lutely! That was dispicable.

Drewr15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig Fell Down
I don't remember that being a cheap shot. Stevens was hit in game 7 against the Islanders (i think it was 1993, when Pitt lost in 7 to the NYI after winning back-to-back cups). Someone from the NYI hit him square, and hit Stevens in the face with his helmet (the player was shorter than Stevens). Stevens went out cold in mid-air and smashed his face into the ice. It was ugly to watch, but I don't recall it being a cheap hit.
Thats how it went down but it was a cheapshot. Stevens tried to hit Pilon on an icing call and ended up getting the worst of it. I remember doctors saying that the bones in Stevens forehead looked like a broken potato chip.

Last edited by #66: 06-14-2006 at 03:39 PM.
#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Henriksen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewr15

Domi on Niedermayer in the playoffs in 2001 was pretty brutal in my opinion. I'm biased of course since I'm a devs fan and not to take anything away from the Avs as they were missing Forsberg in the finals too but Nieder missed the conference finals and was not himself in the cup finals and I think Nieds at 100% would have made a difference for us. Oh well.
I am surprised not more people have mentioned this. It was a disgusting, spineless act by a player who repeatedly have been a disgrace to hockey. I hope we never see him in the NHL again.

Henriksen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZyotesphan
Hatcher breaking Roenicks jaw

The reason Hatcher broke Roenicks jaw is that Roenick's mouth was open, screaming in pain, because Modano broke his wrist with a slash just before.
Actually it was Craig Ludwig that slashed Roenick before the Hatcher hit. Why Ludwig didn't get a suspension as well always pissed me off.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 03:32 PM
OpAck

I gotta agree with alot of the others that the Hunter cheapshot was the absolute worst.

From what I recall, Hunter lost control of the puck coming up ice and Turgeon easily stole it from him and skated in alone and scored. From that moment on, Hunter's pure stupidity took over...not only when he drove Turgeon into the glass while he was celebrating the goal that put the series away, but after the game when Hunter played damage control by making it seem like it was not intentional. He even went as far to say that he didn't know Turgeon scored...which is one of the lamest excuses I've ever heard. He claims he didn't know Turgeon scored even though (and keep in mind his hit was maybe 4-6 seconds after the whistle): A)The goal light came on, B)The puck was in the net, C) The ref blew the whistle and the Isles goal horn started to sound, and most importantly D)Turgeon threw his arms up in celebration. So, Hunter was trying to making us think that Turgeon pumped his fist in the air during play for absolutely no reason at all? What an idiot.

Turgeon has never been the same player ever since that incident.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 03:53 PM
God Bless Canada

The two that instantly come to mind are Shore-Bailey and Ted Green-Wayne Maki. In the case of Green-Maki, we're talking about two players, not wearing helmets, who were swinging sticks full force at each other's heads. A recipe for tragedy. Green was lucky to survive. I'm sure there are dozens of incidents purpetrated by the Broad Street Bullies that put anything seen in today's NHL (including Bertuzzi-Moore and McSorely-Brashear) to shame.

A few notes on some of the incidents mentioned earlier:
*McSorely-Brashear was the talk of the hockey world for weeks afterwards. In what was a challenging year for the NHL, the incident was the biggest blow of all. Ray Bourque, the venerable Boston captain, even called it the worst thing he'd ever seen. Didn't even try to stick up for McSorely.
*As bad of a season as 1999-2000 was for the NHL, 2003-04 was worse, and it was punctuated by the Bertuzzi-Moore incident. There is no justification for that incident, no excuse (sorry Brian Burke) and any Canuck fan who tries to justify it is an embarassment. (And I am a Canuck fan). I don't think Bertuzzi was trying to end Moore's career, but he was trying to hurt him. Moore was unconscious before he hit the ice. Bertuzzi deserved every bit of the suspension he received, but, like I said, it's not as bad as Maki-Green.
*Now for Turgeon-Hunter. A lot of people make a big deal over it because Turgeon received the longest suspension ever (at that time). But keep in mind, it came right after the disaster known as the Stein suspension, when players were suspended for non-game day practices. Bettman wanted to prove he was serious about discipline, and he got a tailor-made case: a repeat offender injuring an offensive superstar well after the superstar had scored a goal on U.S. national television. In defence of Hunter, his hit was more to the side than directly behind, and Turgeon went in shoulder-first instead of head first. (Contrast that with Lemieux-Draper). That's not to justify Hunter's actions, it was a dirty play, after the whistle and deserving of a significant suspension. I just find it to be a little over-rated. (It was sad listening to Hunter's spin-doctoring afterwards. He was too good of a player [charter member of the 1,000 point/3,000 PIM club] and too good of a leader to come out and say "I didn't know he'd scored.")

Among the moderns, I rate Draper-C. Lemieux as the worst that I've seen. A very scary incident that saw Lemieux hit Draper squarely from behind face-first into the dasher on the boards. Draper needed several hours of surgery to repair the damage to his face.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 03:54 PM
ClassicHockey

If you guys were able to see the Sanderson sucker punch, I'm sure you would put that above the Dale Hunter hit. No question in my mind.

What Hunter did was bad but I've seen plenty of similar acts. The Flyers in the 1970's regularly smashed players after they scored goals against them. Its just that they were able to get away with it. Hunter had the misfortune of having the relatively new NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, just a few feet away watching.

I always remember Don Cherry trying to defend the Hunter hit on his 'Coach's Corner' and Ron McLean asking him how he could defend such an act.

In those days, Ron McLean was a little more sensible and hadn't gone over the the dark side of hockey that Don Cherry has been spewing. McLean now is nothing more than a 'straight man' for Cherry and it was embarrasing watching Mclean's nonsensical views on the game the other night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAckTool
I gotta agree with alot of the others that the Hunter cheapshot was the absolute worst.

From what I recall, Hunter lost control of the puck coming up ice and Turgeon easily stole it from him and skated in alone and scored. From that moment on, Hunter's pure stupidity took over...not only when he drove Turgeon into the glass while he was celebrating the goal that put the series away, but after the game when Hunter played damage control by making it seem like it was not intentional. He even went as far to say that he didn't know Turgeon scored...which is one of the lamest excuses I've ever heard. He claims he didn't know Turgeon scored even though (and keep in mind his hit was maybe 4-6 seconds after the whistle): A)The goal light came on, B)The puck was in the net, C) The ref blew the whistle and the Isles goal horn started to sound, and most importantly D)Turgeon threw his arms up in celebration. So, Hunter was trying to making us think that Turgeon pumped his fist in the air during play for absolutely no reason at all? What an idiot.

Turgeon has never been the same player ever since that incident.

ClassicHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

there was one in the playoffs about ten years ago. It was like the Blues v Kings I think and a blue was coming past the net and drilled the goalie's head into the post. a king retaliated immediately and ended up getting a major. Of course while the Kings were a man down the blues ended up staging a rally.

Not the worst regarding intent but the results were signifigant.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 05:15 PM
txomisc

Couple from a stars fans perspective. First obviously Salei on modano was pretty bad. A flat out dangerous play which was really quite stupid.

Second. 98 playoffs I believe, Joe Nieuwendyk and Bryan Marchment skating towards the boards, Marchment lifts Niewys leg as they approach the boards, slamming his knee and ending his playoff season.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Hextall's slash on Nilson

Matvichuk horse collaring Forsberg and throwing him into the boards.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 05:38 PM
arinkrat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktulu98
have somebody the suter on kariya video?
thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses
I've never seen a copy of that video rolling around.

Brutal hit.

Blatent cross check to the head after Kariya scores a goal...

Sickening.
Yes it was. No penalty and a four game suspension (or something like that) for Suter for taking Kariya out of the Olympics and for the rest of the NHL season.

Hartsburg and Chelios even implied that Kariya was faking it when it happened.

arinkrat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludwig Fell Down
I don't remember that being a cheap shot. Stevens was hit in game 7 against the Islanders (i think it was 1993, when Pitt lost in 7 to the NYI after winning back-to-back cups). Someone from the NYI hit him square, and hit Stevens in the face with his helmet (the player was shorter than Stevens). Stevens went out cold in mid-air and smashed his face into the ice. It was ugly to watch, but I don't recall it being a cheap hit.
Yeah I was not sure about that incident at all, just seem to remember there being a big deal about it about a decade ago. Still, Stevens really got screwed over in that collison.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Canadarocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
Where did you get the "not sorry... don't care" quote? Shore didn't care immediately afterward, but he did apologize not too long after the incident in the locker room. Bailey gave the famous response, "It's all part of the game."
I didn't mean he actually said he wasn't sorry and didn't care who knew it, just that by spending his suspension in Bermuda, was implying that he felt that way. I think I got it from a quote I read from somewhere "NHL fans felt that Eddie Shore, who spent his suspension vacationing in Bermuda, got off too easy." I can't remember where I read that and I don't think it's word for word but that's the general idea. It doesn't actually say that he wasn't sorry but that was the impression I got.

By the way, if Ace Bailey had been wearing a helmet, what do you think would have happened?

Canadarocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 07:34 PM
JWINK19
southern Devils fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
there was one in the playoffs about ten years ago. It was like the Blues v Kings I think and a blue was coming past the net and drilled the goalie's head into the post. a king retaliated immediately and ended up getting a major. Of course while the Kings were a man down the blues ended up staging a rally.

Not the worst regarding intent but the results were signifigant.
I remember that sequence. I think the Blue was Courtnall and I'm almost positive Sean O'Donnell was the King who retaliated. If I recall correctly, the Blues scored FOUR goals on that major.

JWINK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2006, 08:24 PM
ClassicHockey

I was talking to Ace Bailey's agent a few years back and I asked him about the handshaking between Bailey and Shore before the All-Star game played for Ace's benefit. But actually, Shore had met Bailey in a game prior to that All-Star game and greeted Bailey then. There is a famous photo of that. Apparently, like you say, that the fans thought Shore got off easy and if Shore hadn't crossed the ice and shook Bailey's hand prior to the game, there is no telling what the fans may have done to Shore. The whole scene was probably staged but the purpose was to calm down the crowd at MLG.

Ace Bailey never played again but was the penalty timekeeper in Maple Leaf Gardens for many years. Once, in the 70's when the Flyers were in town, Dave Schultz, putting on one of his tough guy acts, manhandled the, frail Bailey in the penalty box. After the game, a few writers asked him about that (of course there was no suspension because Schultz was allowed to do whatever he wanted), Schultz responded, "It was THAT Ace Bailey"?

At least Schultz was aware of some of the history of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadarocks
I didn't mean he actually said he wasn't sorry and didn't care who knew it, just that by spending his suspension in Bermuda, was implying that he felt that way. I think I got it from a quote I read from somewhere "NHL fans felt that Eddie Shore, who spent his suspension vacationing in Bermuda, got off too easy." I can't remember where I read that and I don't think it's word for word but that's the general idea. It doesn't actually say that he wasn't sorry but that was the impression I got.

By the way, if Ace Bailey had been wearing a helmet, what do you think would have happened?

ClassicHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2006, 04:32 AM
David Puddy

Quote:
I wanted to make sure that there wasn't another part of the story that I didn't know.

Eddie Shore certainly had a lot on his mind during his suspension. Ace Bailey's chances of living were thought to be very slim, and Boston detectives had interviewed Shore and other players because Shore would face manslaughter charges if Bailey died.

Quote:
More likely than not, Ace Bailey wouldn't have split his skull. I think he would still have had a really bad concussion that may have ended his career anyway, but it wouldn't have put him on death's door like he was for awhile.

For the record, Ace Bailey lived to the grand old age of 88, passing away in 1992.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicHockey
Ace Bailey never played again but was the penalty timekeeper in Maple Leaf Gardens for many years. Once, in the 70's when the Flyers were in town, Dave Schultz, putting on one of his tough guy acts, manhandled the, frail Bailey in the penalty box. After the game, a few writers asked him about that (of course there was no suspension because Schultz was allowed to do whatever he wanted), Schultz responded, "It was THAT Ace Bailey"?

At least Schultz was aware of some of the history of the game.
I knew that Ace Bailey was an off-ice official at Maple Leafs Garden, but I didn't know that that job was penalty timekeeper.

Schultz was a disgrace. His on ice antics were entertaining. He looked like a professional wrestler going through an exaggerated act out there. However, to do anything to a man around 70 years of age is beyond terrible.

David Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote