HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2013, 08:51 PM
  #801
skating101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Say's who? John Macfarland said he wouldnt go to Erie when he was rejected ES, it did not go over well. If Day plays that card, it will not go over well. That pickiness can show a glimpse of character issues.

Yan apparently is going the US NTDP route.

"Special K" will be in the OHL draft.
"Special K" nice! Chewer will like that one!! Yan will play with Sarnia next year

skating101 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 08:54 PM
  #802
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
"Special K" nice! Chewer will like that one!! Yan will play with Sarnia next year
He will probably take credit for it too. lol.

Chewer likes "the big K"

Id play in Sarnia too if Alyonka Larionov showed up a few times.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 09:02 PM
  #803
skating101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
He will probably take credit for it too. lol.

Chewer likes "the big K"

Id play in Sarnia too if Alyonka Larionov showed up a few times.
Smoking hot is an understatement!

skating101 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 09:25 PM
  #804
KillerHockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 21
vCash: 500
Good Evening Everbody,

I have been accused of being two of the same poster on here but I'm not.

I just wanted to find out how our Thunder Bay players fare and what other poster thought of our top 7 players so

any information about theses players would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.


#7 Grzelewski F

#16 McKay F

#4 Thrower F

#9 Hamlin F

#10 Kitt F

#3 Behse D

#17 Stewart D

KillerHockey is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 09:38 PM
  #805
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
Tigers is back! Wingo! Nice to see you back, Tigers and congratulations on the new scouting job.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 09:43 PM
  #806
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Tigers is back! Wingo! Nice to see you back, Tigers and congratulations on the new scouting job.
Thanks. Im on the road often, so time is not on my side. Ill try to post more often.

Tigers1992 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:12 PM
  #807
doogie24
Registered User
 
doogie24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Thanks. Im on the road often, so time is not on my side. Ill try to post more often.
Also happy to see you back!

Appreciate your knowledge and opinion as usual, and it still saddens me that you have to be the voice of reason within a day or two of your return.

This thread is my number one source for info on the MM level, but it seems the nature of the discussion will never change. Too much mud slinging, nitpicking, and poor reasoning, not enough comments about the positives that each player and team bring to the table. That's why we go watch, isn't it? While im at it, wanted to thank all the other regular contributors as well, always gain a ton of info on the GTHL/OMHA that I never would have gotten elsewhere. Just gets a bit tiresome having to read about what some players can't do, or won't be able to do at the next level, rather than hearing about their strengths.

What had me curious was the comments about Konecny not being able to handle the physical stuff. From what I have seen, he is not shy about playing the body. He routinely puts players on their butts, and does not need to skate across the ice to throw the big hit. Have seen him throw guys around with ease from a standstill - it appears he has tremendous lower/core strength.

Granted, the level of physicality will increase greatly next year, but I just found it a bit confusing for someone to say that a guy who already plays with an edge will struggle with getting out muscled next year. Thoughts?

doogie24 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:13 PM
  #808
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
He will probably take credit for it too. lol.

Chewer likes "the big K"

Id play in Sarnia too if Alyonka Larionov showed up a few times.
I take a break to watch OHL games, and you bloggers start slinging mud, but only at me. Nice to see I am loved. LOL

No, I will not take credit for the "special K" or " the big K".

Calling out Mckeown at #2 last year was a no brainer, but Tigers1992 wouldnt accept it. LOL

CALLING OUT HOSANG AT #5 OR #6 WAS THE CAT'S MEOW.

That's right, Jack is back.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:15 PM
  #809
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,582
vCash: 500
By the way, best 2 way forward in the loop is Konecny, hands down. In the Marlie tournament, the kid was hitting everything in site, in between setting up goals, or backchecking.

In my mind, right now, Konecny and Spencer are by far top 2 prospects in the loop.
(not considering US kids).

chewerjones is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:18 PM
  #810
LKF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Tiger, its not emotional just the facts, the 97s have been taking a bad rap on here for a while. I posted examples of yes individual games, but G teams only play outside during tournaments so you have to use those results as examples. So the group can say this years all star game was crap and its a one off game but I can't reference the all state game as a one off? Your logic seems flawed. I guess when we talk about a player coming to our league at the minor hockey level its disturbing because its not a business like the OHL or NHL. It is a development league that we as tax payers support. The education package that a Canadian boy who has lived here and grown here is now being lost.
I understand your perspective as a scout would be somewhat different than a parent. To you its all business. Cheers,

LKF is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:30 PM
  #811
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I take a break to watch OHL games, and you bloggers start slinging mud, but only at me. Nice to see I am loved. LOL

No, I will not take credit for the "special K" or " the big K".
LOL. Chewbacca U gave Korostelev "the big K" nickname didnt u ? I thought u did. OR was it Garyboy?

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:30 PM
  #812
PanthersFan1980
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
New scouting job, no time.

Top 5 IMO are(alphabetically) Kirwan, Konecny, Spencer, Strome, Werenski.

Werenski and Kirwan will come, but pick thier spots. Korostelev will fall in that 5-7 range.

Why didn't kirwan just come up and play in the gthl this year? It's hard to keep track with him playing in mass!

PanthersFan1980 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:30 PM
  #813
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowswhattowatch View Post
Tiger, its not emotional just the facts, the 97s have been taking a bad rap on here for a while. I posted examples of yes individual games, but G teams only play outside during tournaments so you have to use those results as examples. So the group can say this years all star game was crap and its a one off game but I can't reference the all state game as a one off? Your logic seems flawed. I guess when we talk about a player coming to our league at the minor hockey level its disturbing because its not a business like the OHL or NHL. It is a development league that we as tax payers support. The education package that a Canadian boy who has lived here and grown here is now being lost.
I understand your perspective as a scout would be somewhat different than a parent. To you its all business. Cheers,
Unforturnately, thats inherent in blogs or forums. You are going to get positive and negative input. Life is not always fair, if it were than every kid in MM loop would be drafted into the OHL, and all would be drafted into the NHL. Thats not reality.

The 94 loop was also very weak compared to the 95s and 96s. Most years the GTHL has a stronger loop then the OMHA and ALliance, but this year, I am sorry to say that the GTHL has less higher end talent.

We may be putting down the GTHL but we are also commending the other kids in the other associations.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:33 PM
  #814
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
LOL. Chewbacca U gave Korostelev "the big K" nickname didnt u ? I thought u did. OR was it Garyboy?
When I post a blog, I move on, I dont keep it in an archive beside my bed. LOL

I cant remember if I gave him the Alias, but if I did, I have no problem accepting that award also. I will just add it to my many accomplishments.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:34 PM
  #815
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,582
vCash: 500
Chew-dawg, Chewy, Chewbacca????????????????????????????:sh akehead

chewerjones is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:35 PM
  #816
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan1980 View Post
Why didn't kirwan just come up and play in the gthl this year? It's hard to keep track with him playing in mass!
Its a good thing he didnt come to play in the GTHL. He plays with kids as old as 21. He would damage kids career's. He is built like a MAN. Thats one reason he played Junior B as a 13-14 yr old. 6-2 215 and chiseled, no baby fat, muscle. Rare physical specimen.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:37 PM
  #817
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,582
vCash: 500
I dont like to toot my horn, but I remember last year promoting a 94 player, and everybody laughed at me, and said the kid was not a player.

Last time I checked the kid is on a 16 game point scoring streak, the longest in the OHL this year, and leading his team in scoring. See what happens when you give a kid quality minutes.

You guys can call me " Sir Chew-Dawg"

chewerjones is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:41 PM
  #818
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
I dont like to toot my horn, but I remember last year promoting a 94 player, and everybody laughed at me, and said the kid was not a player.

Last time I checked the kid is on a 16 game point scoring streak, the longest in the OHL this year, and leading his team in scoring. See what happens when you give a kid quality minutes.

You guys can call me " Sir Chew-Dawg"
We still remember the Marner @ #15 first round prediction, sorry I couldnt resist. lol.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:43 PM
  #819
LKF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Chewer, thanks for you feedback. My only point is the talent in the 97 age group and especially in the G this year is very spread out. Not jammed on to 3 or 4 teams like last years G group. Last year the talent was so bad after 4th that you constantly saw blowout games. And while you may be right about outside the G, the facts are that when the alliance or omha top teams have met most of the G teams this year they have had there hands full. I blame the coaching in the G this year compared to last years 96. The top 96 teams last year all non parent. This year all top 4 teams coached by dads (until recently when TF resigned from JRC). I also believe the prospect game would have been better if WG would have loaded a few lines rather than spreading out the top talent. Last year CMD, JHS, MDC on a line vs DS, RF and cant remember winger. anyway just my 2 cents, cheers,

LKF is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:46 PM
  #820
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowswhattowatch View Post
So the group can say this years all star game was crap and its a one off game but I can't reference the all state game as a one off? Your logic seems flawed.
You didnt read my post, or didnt understand it. I said any game, any game is a one off, and cant be looked with value. Look at my quotes. The GTHL All Star game, as a one of, has little value. The All State game, as a one of, has little value. Chesswood games on Sunday, as a one off, has little value. 15 year old kids have off nights. If we judged them off of a single game, how fair would that be?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Just like Vaughan beat Elgin, tied Oakville. Anything can happen in a single game. Thats why we are out watching players 15-20 times. 15 year old kids have bad days, I have a bad day, you have a bad day. What matters is, what type of player they will be, not who they lost to in a random minor midget game.



Its a summer All Star game. You can't judge an entire age group off of a single game, especailly one that has zero cosiquenses. McDavid was a star that game, but it doesnt matter, its a single game in July.



Again, don't use single game indicators to judge teams, your setting yourself up for failure. The 93 North York Rangers beat the 93 York Simcoe Express. That 93 Ranger team had 0 NHL picks, while the York Simcoe Express had both Ryan Murphy and Daniel Catenacci, plus 2-3 NCAA guys and 5-6 other OHL players.

York Simcoe was light years ahead of them, but had a bad game. It happens.

Every single one of them says the same thing. Single game results don't tell the entire story. Anything can happen in a single game, regardless of the talent on the ice.

The EASIEST way to go assess talent is to go watch them, repeatedly. I have been lucky to see alot of GTHL/OMHA/ALLIANCE over the past years. There is no doubt that the depth in the GTHL is not there this year. Watch the games, watch the skill, watch it repeatedly, without a jaded eye. You'll see the reasoning. You can't see it in single game results. You can see it with the talent on the ice.

Thats not a slight to the GTHL, i dont' care where players come from, no one gets paid more to say 'x' league is better then 'y'. We go to games, without a bias, and assess. If the better player is from the GTHL, we draft them. If the better player is from the OMHA, we draft them. Simply put, the GTHL doesn't have the depth this year as in past years.

Tigers1992 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:50 PM
  #821
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowswhattowatch View Post
Chewer, thanks for you feedback. My only point is the talent in the 97 age group and especially in the G this year is very spread out. Not jammed on to 3 or 4 teams like last years G group. Last year the talent was so bad after 4th that you constantly saw blowout games. And while you may be right about outside the G, the facts are that when the alliance or omha top teams have met most of the G teams this year they have had there hands full. I blame the coaching in the G this year compared to last years 96. The top 96 teams last year all non parent. This year all top 4 teams coached by dads (until recently when TF resigned from JRC). I also believe the prospect game would have been better if WG would have loaded a few lines rather than spreading out the top talent. Last year CMD, JHS, MDC on a line vs DS, RF and cant remember winger. anyway just my 2 cents, cheers,
I can agree with you on the above.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:52 PM
  #822
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
We still remember the Marner @ #15 first round prediction, sorry I couldnt resist. lol.
Hey that may be a stretch, but trust me, if the kid grows to the size of his brother - 6'2", he will be a force. Even if he can get to 6', he will be a playmaking force.

He will play Junior A next year most likely, and will then join the OHL in his 2nd year, and WATCH OUT.

Remember the name, MITCH MARNER. You heard it from me first.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:59 PM
  #823
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowswhattowatch View Post
I guess when we talk about a player coming to our league at the minor hockey level its disturbing because its not a business like the OHL or NHL. It is a development league that we as tax payers support. The education package that a Canadian boy who has lived here and grown here is now being lost.
Im not sure what this is refering too? To play in the GTHL, you pay fees. Korostelev is paying his way. His parents payed the fees just like anyone else did. He pays the same fee as your kid does. His money goes the same place. He pays the same $6 you do to get into games. Im confused as to what taxes that you pay go to him? His registration fees cover the teams expenses, including renting public ice.

As face as education packeges go, those are private. A private company (OHL Team) decides to give a scollarship to someone in exchange for his abilities. As part of that agreement, they develop him and pay his way through school. How is that any differnt from a Canadian going to the NCAA? Should that option be closed off for Ontario boys?

Im guessing that if you said yes, youd be cutting off more Ontario boys options then you would US/Russian kids.

Tigers1992 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 12:06 AM
  #824
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowswhattowatch View Post
Chewer, thanks for you feedback. My only point is the talent in the 97 age group and especially in the G this year is very spread out. Not jammed on to 3 or 4 teams like last years G group. Last year the talent was so bad after 4th that you constantly saw blowout games. And while you may be right about outside the G, the facts are that when the alliance or omha top teams have met most of the G teams this year they have had there hands full. I blame the coaching in the G this year compared to last years 96. The top 96 teams last year all non parent. This year all top 4 teams coached by dads (until recently when TF resigned from JRC). I also believe the prospect game would have been better if WG would have loaded a few lines rather than spreading out the top talent. Last year CMD, JHS, MDC on a line vs DS, RF and cant remember winger. anyway just my 2 cents, cheers,
Even with Mike Babcock coaching, the 97's are not as good. I agree last year there was some good coaches like Ken Strong and Geoff SChomogyi. Coaching your own children is one of the hardest things to do, I dont know how some of them pull it off. All star or All-state games are the worst to judge players. There is no chemistry, very little structure, very individualistic mindsets.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 12:07 AM
  #825
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Hey that may be a stretch, but trust me, if the kid grows to the size of his brother - 6'2", he will be a force. Even if he can get to 6', he will be a playmaking force.

He will play Junior A next year most likely, and will then join the OHL in his 2nd year, and WATCH OUT.

Remember the name, MITCH MARNER. You heard it from me first.
If he was 6-0 , first rounder for sure. He has NCAA offers, I wonder if thats a card he will play to be selected where he wants to go? The word "if" is scary when drafting a player especially in the first 2 rounds/.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.