HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2013, 06:07 PM
  #101
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Once again, how is the majority of career, in which he has posted his best numbers a fluke? 87/104 games he has stats that are commensurate with his career line. Please explain to me why this is a fluke. I would be very interested in hearing this. The majority of his career his numbers are in line with the career numbers (that is how averages work, no?). You are looking at reasons to discredit that (low scoring era, playing for flyers, etc) and pointing to a small portion of his games that show his TRUE ability. It makes no sense.

For instance...Claude Giroux has only had two good seasons. During this time he was playing on the top line so he got more time and was playing with the likes of Jaromir Jagr, a sure fire first ballot hall of famer. Put him on a line with the same people he was playing with two years earlier when he scored 47 points and that is really what you can expect from him. (This is a ridiculous argument that I would get laughed out of here if I made legitimately. However when you do it for Leighton I get laughed out of here for saying it is ridiculous.).



Once again, you can't just ignore the majority of his stats and discredit them, while also pointing to stats that are in line with his career stats (the 19 game season in CAR), and say that not only are the stats from his two largest samples not real, but his other season where he played in 19 games is not true, and the real truth is the smallest possible sample size.



His career stats. Plenty of players are up and down before they get their shot. He's barely 30 years old and yes he is not an epic world class goalie. But he is a backup. With backup numbers. And backup abilities.
80 of his 104 NHL starts come in 3 seasons, one of which (Philly) is most certainly an outlier; it depended on very unique circumstances that no longer exist. That leaves what, 7 seasons where he averages a little over 3 starts a year? How does that indicate "backup goalie?" That indicates "third stringer." 31 year old 3rd string goalies aren't really renowned for having an athletic renaissance that boosts them into a higher role, and Leighton has given zero indication that has happened. It has been over 4 years since the one year where Leighton had a true NHL backup season. There's a reason he hasn't stuck in a backup role, ever.

You still haven't explained why he has spent the the vast majority of his career as an AHL player or third string callup. NHL caliber goalies tend to stay in the NHL. A reliable backup is a worthwhile commodity. If he had backup abilities, he wouldn't be a career minor league player who's lucky to see 5 NHL games a year...or even just 1, several times.

It's also worth noting how drastically Leighton's stats changed coming from Carolina to Philly...it's almost like his numbers during that stint were a product of the team, not him. Since that team no longer exists, how do you think he'll do? How has he performed coming in cold, like he'll be expected to do behind Bryz?

Edit: I've never said the 19 start season in Carolina doesn't count. That's probably the only season post lockout you can seriously look at for his performance as a backup. It's telling it only happened once.

I discount the Chicago season and Philly season because those both occurred in exceptional circumstances that don't exist anymore.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 01-10-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 06:08 PM
  #102
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I've always had a soft spot for flamboyant, over-the-top goalie pads.
I'm the opposite. I'm a big fan of the simpler cleaner look. I really always love Carey Prices pads. I loved the ones he used a couple seasons ago that were all white with the two little red and blue stripes at the knee.


orange is better is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 06:21 PM
  #103
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,839
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
80 of his 104 NHL starts come in 3 seasons, one of which (Philly) is most certainly an outlier; it depended on very unique circumstances that no longer exist. That leaves what, 7 seasons where he averages a little over 3 starts a year? How does that indicate "backup goalie?" That indicates "third stringer." 31 year old 3rd string goalies aren't really renowned for having an athletic renaissance that boosts them into a higher role, and Leighton has given zero indication that has happened. It has been over 4 years since the one year where Leighton had a true NHL backup season. There's a reason he hasn't stuck in a backup role, ever.
His numbers in the NHL indicate that he is a back up goalie. I guess don't understand your argument. If you are saying he isn't a backup goalie because there were years he was not in the NHL, and because of that he is not an NHL caliber goalie, then I would say your argument is flawed considering he is currently the backup goalie on this team. If that is not your argument, then my argument is further bolstered by the fact that his stats while in the NHL average out to be stats that are in line with many of the backup goalies in the league.

Quote:
You still haven't explained why he has spent the the vast majority of his career as an AHL player or third string callup. NHL caliber goalies tend to stay in the NHL. A reliable backup is a worthwhile commodity. If he had backup abilities, he wouldn't be a career minor league player who's lucky to see 5 NHL games a year...or even just 1, several times.
I don't know the circumstances of his entire career. Was he injured? Who else was on the roster? There could be a number of reasons behind this. My only argument is that when in the NHL, his stats are that of a backup goalie. I therefore am predicting that his stats this year will be on par with that. Certainly it is possible he ***** the bed and gets sent down, never to be heard of again. On the hand, it is certainly possible that his numbers are the same as they have been throughout his career. Somewhere in the balpark of .900 SV% and 2.95 GAA. Not impressive, but good enough to be a backup.

Quote:
It's also worth noting how drastically Leighton's stats changed coming from Carolina to Philly...it's almost like his numbers during that stint were a product of the team, not him. Since that team no longer exists, how do you think he'll do? How has he performed coming in cold, like he'll be expected to do behind Bryz?
As noted above, I think his numbers will be just like they have been over the course of his career. I am basing this on his career numbers. I know that basing future performance based on past performance is unrealistic, but I will stick with it. Once again, I could be wrong, but I think stats taken from a majority of a player's career are a better indicator than stats taken from a small portion of the same player's career.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 06:26 PM
  #104
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
His numbers in the NHL indicate that he is a back up goalie. I guess don't understand your argument. If you are saying he isn't a backup goalie because there were years he was not in the NHL, and because of that he is not an NHL caliber goalie, then I would say your argument is flawed considering he is currently the backup goalie on this team. If that is not your argument, then my argument is further bolstered by the fact that his stats while in the NHL average out to be stats that are in line with many of the backup goalies in the league.



I don't know the circumstances of his entire career. Was he injured? Who else was on the roster? There could be a number of reasons behind this. My only argument is that when in the NHL, his stats are that of a backup goalie. I therefore am predicting that his stats this year will be on par with that. Certainly it is possible he ***** the bed and gets sent down, never to be heard of again. On the hand, it is certainly possible that his numbers are the same as they have been throughout his career. Somewhere in the balpark of .900 SV% and 2.95 GAA. Not impressive, but good enough to be a backup.



As noted above, I think his numbers will be just like they have been over the course of his career. I am basing this on his career numbers. I know that basing future performance based on past performance is unrealistic, but I will stick with it. Once again, I could be wrong, but I think stats taken from a majority of a player's career are a better indicator than stats taken from a small portion of the same player's career.
there is not 1 thing in your post that doesn't make complete sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
I think Bryz has a bounce back year. .918-.920%
i'd take that ... considering his career numbers of .915 SV % 2.52 GAA

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 06:29 PM
  #105
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,563
vCash: 500
.918 SV% and 2.39 GAA is what I'll say. I say that mainly because Bryz has actually played games this year, he won't be coming in cold.

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 06:32 PM
  #106
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
His numbers in the NHL indicate that he is a back up goalie. I guess don't understand your argument. If you are saying he isn't a backup goalie because there were years he was not in the NHL, and because of that he is not an NHL caliber goalie, then I would say your argument is flawed considering he is currently the backup goalie on this team. If that is not your argument, then my argument is further bolstered by the fact that his stats while in the NHL average out to be stats that are in line with many of the backup goalies in the league.
His numbers indicate he is, at best, a low level backup, towards the bottom of the barrel. When paired with his numerous single digit GPs stats, it very clearly paints a picture of a guy who isn't sticking as an NHL backup. When you pair it with the eyeball test that shows he routinely struggles to handle NHL level shots, the evidence against him is more damning.

He is the backup goalie, yes. But that says a lot more about this organizations poor choices in net than it does Leighton's ability.



Quote:
I don't know the circumstances of his entire career. Was he injured? Who else was on the roster? There could be a number of reasons behind this. My only argument is that when in the NHL, his stats are that of a backup goalie. I therefore am predicting that his stats this year will be on par with that. Certainly it is possible he ***** the bed and gets sent down, never to be heard of again. On the hand, it is certainly possible that his numbers are the same as they have been throughout his career. Somewhere in the balpark of .900 SV% and 2.95 GAA. Not impressive, but good enough to be a backup.
That's not really good enough to be a backup, though. If your backup is putting up those numbers you should be looking to replace him with someone younger you can develop, or someone older and more reliable. Based on the number of games he was playing in the AHL, it's unlikely he was injured. It's more likely he's not good enough to keep an NHL spot aside from one season.



Quote:
As noted above, I think his numbers will be just like they have been over the course of his career. I am basing this on his career numbers. I know that basing future performance based on past performance is unrealistic, but I will stick with it. Once again, I could be wrong, but I think stats taken from a majority of a player's career are a better indicator than stats taken from a small portion of the same player's career.
You remove context from his numbers, though. You don't take into account all the time he spends as a third stringer because he isn't cutting it in the NHL. You also ignore his actual flaws as a goalie; the only thing he is good at is "largeness." His reflexes are sub-par, his lateral speed is downright bad, his positioning is often questionable and his rebound control is nonexistent, because he can't handle shots from NHL players.

I'm getting deja vu.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 07:35 PM
  #107
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,839
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
His numbers indicate he is, at best, a low level backup, towards the bottom of the barrel. When paired with his numerous single digit GPs stats, it very clearly paints a picture of a guy who isn't sticking as an NHL backup. When you pair it with the eyeball test that shows he routinely struggles to handle NHL level shots, the evidence against him is more damning.
There you go. At best he is a low level backup. I'll take it. I don't care if he is struggling to make saves, as long as he making them (which he does, about as much as the other backups across the league do).

Quote:
He is the backup goalie, yes. But that says a lot more about this organizations poor choices in net than it does Leighton's ability.
Fair enough. I never said he was the best choice as a backup.

Quote:
That's not really good enough to be a backup, though. If your backup is putting up those numbers you should be looking to replace him with someone younger you can develop, or someone older and more reliable.
To begin with, I think that most, if not all teams, at all times are looking for someone younger to develop to play backup goalie. That aside, I think if you looked at the numbers of backups across the league, you would see that a lot of their numbers are in the that ballpark. For instance, looking at guys who played less than half of the games last year (not a full analysis, just a cursory glance), I see plenty of guys with stats on par or below Leighton from last season. There are guys with better numbers, many of them probably could be starting elsewhere (or are now or will be in the near future because of their youth), including Schneider, Enroth, Harding, Bernier, Hackett, and the likes. But just about half of the league has a backup goalie (or 1/2 a platoon goalie) with stats on line with Leighton's numbers (somwhere around .900-.910 with high 2s GAA). Many are below Leighton's career numbers.

Quote:
Based on the number of games he was playing in the AHL, it's unlikely he was injured. It's more likely he's not good enough to keep an NHL spot aside from one season.
Yeah he probably wasn't injured, that was just me pointing out there I don't know really the circumstances. The point is that there are any number of reasons why players don't play in the NHL. It is certainly possible, that Leighton didn't make the team. This may very well have been because he wasn't good enough (maybe they had a better guy on the roster, maybe the team just didn't think he had it), but the fact is that when given the chance in the NHL his numbers are on par with many of the backups around the league. There is no reason to think that he will not put up similar numbers to the numbers he has put up throughout his career. Again, he is not going to blow anyone away, but I am not concerned if he is our backup. If he is the starter, that is another story.

Quote:
You remove context from his numbers, though. You don't take into account all the time he spends as a third stringer because he isn't cutting it in the NHL. You also ignore his actual flaws as a goalie; the only thing he is good at is "largeness." His reflexes are sub-par, his lateral speed is downright bad, his positioning is often questionable and his rebound control is nonexistent, because he can't handle shots from NHL players.
I take all that into account. I just happen to believe that career numbers, regardless of context, are a better indicator of future performances than whatever your argument is ("not" career stats?).

If we are going to take away from his stats on the Flyers, for instance, because of how good they were, what about giving him more credit for those stats on Philly when the team was the worst in franchise history. Surely if he doesn't get the credit because of the team in Philly when he had a good season, he can't receive the blame for his time when it was the worst team in franchise history. Or the team he got cut from that led him to Philly he most recent team, when they were not a playoff team. Oh, crap. I forgot. Leighton is one of those special players who gets none of the credit when he does well and all the blame when he doesn't.

Essentially, what I am saying is that how can you discredit his good stats and say he didn't really earn them because his team was that good or the league was different and point to a FAR SMALLER portion of stats where he played for some very bad teams and act like those are the real ones? If you are going to discredit the good for those reasons, don't you have to then discredit the bad for similar reasons?<<<This is the most important part of this post that I would really like an answer to. Please do not ignore it.

Quote:
I'm getting deja vu.
Tell me about it.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 07:46 PM
  #108
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
how can you discredit his good stats and say he didn't really earn them because his team was that good or the league was different and point to a FAR SMALLER portion of stats where he played for some very bad teams and act like those are the real ones? If you are going to discredit the good for those reasons, don't you have to then discredit the bad for similar reasons?<<<This is the most important part of this post that I would really like an answer to. Please do not ignore it.
exactly ... people can't selectively pick and choose which career numbers fit their viewpoint & throw out everything else. career NHL numbers are career NHL numbers. period. i'd expect each of our goalies to post near their career numbers this year.

hopefully exceed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Oh, crap. I forgot. [insert Flyers goalie here] is one of those special players who gets none of the credit when he does well and all the blame when he doesn't.
"" exactly.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 07:52 PM
  #109
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,461
vCash: 500
I discount the Chicago stats because they occurred in an era that no longer exists due to rule changes, so they aren't very relevant to judging him now. I ignore the Philly season because those are clearly a very unique situation, and extremely different from the one he's in now. It's not because they're good. It's because he played behind an insanely good defensive performance from the team in front of him. We are no longer that team. They've come back down to earth. That season is an outlier; his performance in Carolina that year was very bad, which is why they dropped him. It's no coincidence that his numbers improved playing behind that team. At that point it didn't really matter who the Flyers had in net, they were going to cover for them. They can't do that anymore.

What's left is inherently a small sample size because he's spent so much time as a third string goalie, he doesn't get many starts...except the one season with Carolina. By the way, the Hurricanes were a playoff team in that year, so it's not like they were a bad team. That's probably his best individual season, because as I remember that Carolina team wasn't a defensive juggernaut like the Flyers team was in 2010. Far more credit goes to him there than it does in the fluke Philly season where he was sheltered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
exactly ... people can't selectively pick and choose which career numbers fit their viewpoint & throw out everything else. career NHL numbers are career NHL numbers. period. i'd expect each of our goalies to post near their career numbers this year.

hopefully exceed them.



"" exactly.
You can most certainly ignore blatant outliers when getting the full measure of a player. Leighton's 27 game stint with the Flyers is definitely an outlier and far from the norm for Leighton. The norm is 3-7 NHL starts (or none) before being sent down. Nobody would look at a fluke hat trick from Jody Shelley and use that as proof he's a competent goal scorer, for instance.

Or here's another example you'll like more: Nobody would look at a (theoretical) season of responsible defensive play by Briere 4 years ago and use it to say he's been defensively responsible his whole career, as well as now.


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 01-10-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 07:55 PM
  #110
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,741
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
exactly ... people can't selectively pick and choose which career numbers fit their viewpoint & throw out everything else. career NHL numbers are career NHL numbers. period. i'd expect each of our goalies to post near their career numbers this year.

hopefully exceed them.



"" exactly.
woah we agreed 2X on the sameday..

thats gotta be a record..

ima go on record now as stating the people here who dislike leighton will continue to blame him for loss's/goals but give him NO credit for win's/great saves.

and u can bank that.

Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 07:59 PM
  #111
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,233
vCash: 500
do i think Leights kinda blew the 2010 CUP ? yes
is he OK as our backup ? yes

i just hope Bryz shuts everybody up this year.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 08:08 PM
  #112
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,839
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
I discount the Chicago stats because they occurred in an era that no longer exists due to rule changes. I ignore the Philly season because those are clearly a very unique situation, and extremely different from the one he's in now. It's not because they're good. It's because he played behind an insanely good defensive performance from the team in front of him. We are no longer that team. They've come back down to earth. That season is an outlier; his performance in Carolina that year was very bad, which is why they dropped him. It's no coincidence that his numbers improved playing behind that team. At that point it didn't really matter who the Flyers had in net, they were going to cover for them. They can't do that anymore.

What's left is inherently a small sample size because he's spent so much time as a third string goalie, he doesn't get many starts...except the one season with Carolina. By the way, the Hurricanes were a playoff team in that year, so it's not like they were a bad team. That's probably his best individual season, because as I remember that Carolina team wasn't a defensive juggernaut like the Flyers team was in 2010. Far more credit goes to him there than it does in the fluke Philly season where he was sheltered.
Ok so just as I expected, you did not answer the only real thing I wanted answered.

Let's go with this. Hypothetically, if I agree with you about his time in Chicago and one year in Philly stats and we throw them out completely because the stats are inflated for the reasons you say, you are left with 28. 19 of those games he put up numbers that are in line with the numbers I am talking about. If we are taking away the stats because they are inflated, I am going to take away the stats that are brought down because of similar circumstances. Those games include the 4 he played for Philly in his first stint, and the one he played in 2010-11 because those teams had awful defenses. That leaves 23 games, and those numbers are in the same ballpark as the ones I am expecting. But we can't get rid of the bad ones, right? That wouldn't make sense.

Ok so let me ask you one more time. If we are going to get rid of his good stats because he didn't really earn them (by your estimation), why can't I get rid of the stats that I don't think he earned? Or why not get rid of all them? Just a quick answer to this so I understand how you decide which stats are legitimate and which are not. Because I tend to look at all of them and use them all and think that makes the most sense.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 08:11 PM
  #113
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
If we are going to get rid of his good stats because he didn't really earn them (by your estimation), why can't I get rid of the stats that I don't think he earned? Or why not get rid of all them?

Just a quick answer to this so I understand how you decide which stats are legitimate and which are not. Because I tend to look at all of them and use them all and think that makes the most sense.
lol

you are in the vast majority here. don't let a very vocal minority make you believe otherwise.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 08:24 PM
  #114
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Ok so just as I expected, you did not answer the only real thing I wanted answered.

Let's go with this. Hypothetically, if I agree with you about his time in Chicago and one year in Philly stats and we throw them out completely because the stats are inflated for the reasons you say, you are left with 28. 19 of those games he put up numbers that are in line with the numbers I am talking about. If we are taking away the stats because they are inflated, I am going to take away the stats that are brought down because of similar circumstances. Those games include the 4 he played for Philly in his first stint, and the one he played in 2010-11 because those teams had awful defenses. That leaves 23 games, and those numbers are in the same ballpark as the ones I am expecting. But we can't get rid of the bad ones, right? That wouldn't make sense.

Ok so let me ask you one more time. If we are going to get rid of his good stats because he didn't really earn them (by your estimation), why can't I get rid of the stats that I don't think he earned? Or why not get rid of all them? Just a quick answer to this so I understand how you decide which stats are legitimate and which are not. Because I tend to look at all of them and use them all and think that makes the most sense.
And by removing the bad stats, the numbers remain as you state, correct?

So...what are we left with? Low-end backup stats for a guy who gets very few NHL starts and has generally been a career minor league player. It still doesn't change a single thing I've been saying. No matter what you do with the stats, it remains true. That's not someone I'm interested in signing in any non-emergency situation. That's not someone I want as the go-to backup.

Getting rid of all stats and going by the eyeball test doesn't help him at all either, since he fails that. Poor movement, slow reflexes, suspect positioning, non-existent rebound control, and at the age of 31...little to no reason to believe he'll suddenly improve.

Stats require context. You can't remove context because it's inconvenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
lol

you are in the vast majority here. don't let a very vocal minority make you believe otherwise.
Still fabricating whimsical statements, I see. This is like the "Defense at fault for 80%" thing you invented.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 09:19 PM
  #115
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,839
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
And by removing the bad stats, the numbers remain as you state, correct?

So...what are we left with? Low-end backup stats for a guy who gets very few NHL starts and has generally been a career minor league player. It still doesn't change a single thing I've been saying. No matter what you do with the stats, it remains true. That's not someone I'm interested in signing in any non-emergency situation. That's not someone I want as the go-to backup.
I don't want to get rid of ANY of his stats, I am only talking about ignoring certain stats because you won't look at this stats as a whole. He's an NHL backup. Low-end. Average. Whatever. NHL backup with NHL backup stats. If you don't want to acknowledge that his stats are on par with other backups around the league, I guess you can ignore the facts. If you want to discredit his stats I guess you can do that to.

Quote:
Getting rid of all stats and going by the eyeball test doesn't help him at all either, since he fails that. Poor movement, slow reflexes, suspect positioning, non-existent rebound control, and at the age of 31...little to no reason to believe he'll suddenly improve.

Stats require context. You can't remove context because it's inconvenient.
He's a backup goalie. That is what his stats and his play suggest. Sure he benefited from a good defense in Philly. I don't doubt that one bit. But again, if you are going to ignore those stats in their entirety, that we have to at least ignore a number of his games where the team was as bad as that team was good. Stats require context, remember? Or do only your stats require context?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 09:47 PM
  #116
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't want to get rid of ANY of his stats, I am only talking about ignoring certain stats because you won't look at this stats as a whole. He's an NHL backup. Low-end. Average. Whatever. NHL backup with NHL backup stats. If you don't want to acknowledge that his stats are on par with other backups around the league, I guess you can ignore the facts.
there's nothing you can do. people here ignore Bryz's career stats and focus on his first 26 games as a Flyer to claim that he's awful. they simply throw away his other 359 NHL games because the overall career numbers are .915 SV % 2.52 GAA

even last year, Bryz was in the top 10 in wins
2.52 GAA last year would have been #23
.915 SV % last year would have been #23



is that "elite" ? no
is that "awful" ? no

i'd expect Bryz will be around those numbers & if the team D is improved, possibly Bryz can have numbers closer to his March 2012 numbers

i remain hopeful

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 09:48 PM
  #117
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,461
vCash: 500
His stats DON'T suggest that, because in most of his seasons he gets the absolute minimal amount of starts. His GP stats in the NHL versus AHL clearly show he's not an NHL caliber backup.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 09:50 PM
  #118
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
there's nothing you can do. people here ignore Bryz's career stats and focus on his first 26 games as a Flyer to claim that he's awful. they simply throw away his other 359 NHL games because the overall career numbers are .915 SV % 2.52 GAA

even last year, Bryz was in the top 10 in wins
2.52 GAA last year would have been #23
.915 SV % last year would have been #23



is that "elite" ? no
is that "awful" ? no

i'd expect Bryz will be around those numbers & if the team D is improved, possibly Bryz can have numbers closer to his March 2012 numbers

i remain hopeful
Nobody is "throwing out" Bryzgalov's stats at all. However, it's unwise to ignore the bulk of his season last year because those are his stats in a new system that isn't nearly as goalie friendly as the one he was in. We know what to expect of him with Tippet. We still aren't truly sure what to expect here in Philly. Last year certainly doesn't define him, but that doesn't mean it should raise no red flags.

You can't just say "Career stats!" and ignore all context.


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 01-10-2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: wrong tense
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 10:48 PM
  #119
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,461
vCash: 500
My girlfriend has control of the TV so I decided to average the stats of the 32 backups who had meaningful starts. Because that beats the hell out of Private Practice and Greys Anatomy.

Average for NHL backups: 2.69 GAA, .909%

Michael Leighton is worse than that average. Let's also not forget that Leighton's stats are boosted by having a large chunk of his games (Over 20%) played behind a defense which sheltered him very effectively; something he won't get here anymore.

Looking at save percentage, the most relevant stat for goaltender performance, 24 out of 32 backup goalies outperformed Leighton last year. The goalies he beat were in mostly in the .800s, with 2 at a .900. He's in the bottom quarter of the league for backup goalies. He has spent most of his career in the AHL, or NHL call-up for a few games at a time. The case isn't all that good for him being considered a good backup, or even a decent one. He falls below the average. Most backups are better than him. 19 backups put up .910 or better, which is a sizable improvement over Leighton's career average.

He's an AHL player who occasionally gets called up. Except in Philly, where our GM mysteriously believes he's worthwhile.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:29 PM
  #120
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
Michael Leighton is worse than that average. Let's also not forget that Leighton's stats are boosted by having a large chunk of his games (Over 20%) played behind a defense which sheltered him very effectively; something he won't get here anymore.
I hate the doofus, I really do, and also think he's subpar. But I think the bolded part is unfair. If he indeed was sheltered very effectively, so were other goaltenders, some probably even more than him, no?

Ryker is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:32 PM
  #121
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I hate the doofus, I really do, and also think he's subpar. But I think the bolded part is unfair. If he indeed was sheltered very effectively, so were other goaltenders, some probably even more than him, no?
Boucher had some of that benefit. Smith in Phoenix is probably getting a similar treatment; I don't believe for a second he's actually that good.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:32 PM
  #122
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
My girlfriend has control of the TV so I decided to average the stats of the 32 backups who had meaningful starts. Because that beats the hell out of Private Practice and Greys Anatomy.

Average for NHL backups: 2.69 GAA, .909%

Michael Leighton is worse than that average. Let's also not forget that Leighton's stats are boosted by having a large chunk of his games (Over 20%) played behind a defense which sheltered him very effectively; something he won't get here anymore.

Looking at save percentage, the most relevant stat for goaltender performance, 24 out of 32 backup goalies outperformed Leighton last year. The goalies he beat were in mostly in the .800s, with 2 at a .900. He's in the bottom quarter of the league for backup goalies. He has spent most of his career in the AHL, or NHL call-up for a few games at a time. The case isn't all that good for him being considered a good backup, or even a decent one. He falls below the average. Most backups are better than him. 19 backups put up .910 or better, which is a sizable improvement over Leighton's career average.

He's an AHL player who occasionally gets called up. Except in Philly, where our GM mysteriously believes he's worthwhile.
you could say that about a lot of teams starters let alone backups. I wish we could've benefitted from our own move to reduce biron to a 900k backup. would be nice. but we also don't want to pay a guy 1.8 to 2.2 mil behind a guy that's supposed to be top 10 in the league, especially with that cap hit. Leighton will barely play and if bryzgalov goes down with an injury, you know we'll make a move. things really are where they should be. i know it's fun to ***** about tubby but i'm just happy for the first time since the late 80's we got the starter and the backup with no chance of even pretending like he could compete.


Last edited by Beef Invictus: 01-10-2013 at 11:48 PM. Reason: filter
funghoul is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:42 PM
  #123
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i'm just happy for the first time since the late 80's we got the starter and the backup with no chance of even pretending like he could compete.
me, too. no controversy.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:46 PM
  #124
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 40,461
vCash: 500
My main fear is an injury to Bryzgalov. Then what? I have zero faith in Leighton to keep the team afloat for a week or two while he recovers. In a shortened season that could make an enormous difference.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:50 PM
  #125
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Invictus View Post
My main fear is an injury to Bryzgalov. Then what? I have zero faith in Leighton to keep the team afloat for a week or two while he recovers. In a shortened season that could make an enormous difference.
We could end up with Seth Jones

Krishna is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.