HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Training Camp Discussion Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2013, 02:26 PM
  #26
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 14,239
vCash: 500
I really don't like the idea of D'Agostini-Berglund-Stewart.

MattyMo35 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 02:37 PM
  #27
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 31,503
vCash: 50
I think everyone knows or at least some have picked up on me not being that high on D'Agostini, and a line of D'Agostini-Berglund-Stewart could be a disaster since there really isn't a very good playmaker in the bunch.

I think that line would be the "3rd" line anyway, so why not use Schwartz in the offensive situations and Sobotka in the defensive situations as they are both better at those aspects than D'Agostini?

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 02:56 PM
  #28
BlueDream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 14,190
vCash: 500
I agree with both posters above. Put Sobotka with Berglund and Stewart. He gives them energy, is defensively responsible, and is more of a playmaker instead of having 3 shooters on one line. Remember that he looked pretty good with Berglund and Oshie in the past, I think he'd be fine. That way you could have Reaves in the lineup down there on the 4th.

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Berglund-Stewart
Langenbrunner-Nichol-Reaves

That's just what I'd use on opening night, and then you can rotate in D'Ags and Porter whenever.

Honestly I like that, I feel that that lineup has a lot of potential and each line excites me.

I'm really interested to see Chris Stewart. He'll still be a big, powerful guy but he'll be quicker (and he already was quick in the first place) so he could be real dangerous. I love what I'm hearing about him, and if he can return to scoring goals, this team will have many different dynamics that will just be extremely hard for opposing teams to stop.

BlueDream is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 03:09 PM
  #29
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
I agree with both posters above. Put Sobotka with Berglund and Stewart. He gives them energy, is defensively responsible, and is more of a playmaker instead of having 3 shooters on one line. Remember that he looked pretty good with Berglund and Oshie in the past, I think he'd be fine. That way you could have Reaves in the lineup down there on the 4th.

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Berglund-Stewart
Langenbrunner-Nichol-Reaves

That's just what I'd use on opening night, and then you can rotate in D'Ags and Porter whenever.

Honestly I like that, I feel that that lineup has a lot of potential and each line excites me.

I'm really interested to see Chris Stewart. He'll still be a big, powerful guy but he'll be quicker (and he already was quick in the first place) so he could be real dangerous. I love what I'm hearing about him, and if he can return to scoring goals, this team will have many different dynamics that will just be extremely hard for opposing teams to stop.
I kind of like the notion of Schwartz with Stewart and Berglund....ha ha (didn't expect that from me did you?...ha ha) I think Stewart would create space for him and keep him alive should anyone decide/think to run Schwartz. Berglund could work more so as a winger in the offensive zone and rotate to center in the defensive zone. This would free Schwartz to use his offensive gifts to both Berglund and Stewart's advantage. Just thinking outside of the box.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 03:12 PM
  #30
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler
 
Falco Lombardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 15,041
vCash: 103
I feel better about D'Agostini than either of the gentleman above but if you are going to go with a lineup like the one above, I'd would put efforts into trading D'Agostini. Guy had 20 goals and 46 points two seasons ago. I think you can find a decent defenseman for him if you can't find a place to play him.

But as previously stated, I'd have D'Agostini playing.

Falco Lombardi is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:14 PM
  #31
zico20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
Blues 1st game-Detroit

Jeremy Rutherford, the Blues beat writer wrote in the Post-Dispatch today (Thur) that the Blues will open their season January 19th at home against the Red Wings. If anyone lives in St. Louis they can confirm this by reading the paper.

zico20 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:22 PM
  #32
SirPaste
#HitchGonnaHitch
 
SirPaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 13,851
vCash: 150
It hasnt been confirmed but that is the rumor

SirPaste is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:22 PM
  #33
ItsOnlytheRiver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
Jeremy Rutherford, the Blues beat writer wrote in the Post-Dispatch today (Thur) that the Blues will open their season January 19th at home against the Red Wings. If anyone lives in St. Louis they can confirm this by reading the paper.
He's been Tweeting as much. He's also changed the information a few times. This is the latest information but until it's official don't consider anything set in stone.

ItsOnlytheRiver is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:23 PM
  #34
Use the Schwartz*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,511
vCash: 500
i heard chicago back to back.

Use the Schwartz* is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:27 PM
  #35
Use the Schwartz*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,511
vCash: 500
I thought Nichol wasn't coming back. Wasn't it a one year deal for last season?

Use the Schwartz* is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:30 PM
  #36
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,643
vCash: 500
Hate the notion of a D'Agostini-Berglund-Stewart line. Both Berglund and Stewart are complemented well by a puck possession/distributor type who can generate offense off the half-boards (bonus points for Stewart if the player in question can generate chances for his linemates well in transition/off the rush), and D'Agostini simply isn't that guy. Almost any other LW we have on the roster would be a better fit with those two offensively, with my personal favorite being McDonald.

Not sold on Russell sticking on the 1st pairing, either. I liked what I saw in him last year, but this smacks of "least objectionable alternative" to me. If Cole plays well, he'll get his shot there soon enough.

EastonBlues22 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:36 PM
  #37
Vladys Gumption
Global Moderator
Colt55
 
Vladys Gumption's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 17,156
vCash: 500
Am I the only one that wants to possibly see a Russell-Petro pairing? The only thing that really scares me about it, is the possiblity of a Jackman-Polak pairing.

Vladys Gumption is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:43 PM
  #38
Lord Helix
CarvinSigX
 
Lord Helix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Zeta[-1]
Posts: 12,731
vCash: 200
Should have started the season on the 15th. Everyone had plenty of time to be ready for the season.

Lord Helix is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:44 PM
  #39
bleedblue1223
Fire Army
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 31,503
vCash: 50
Russell-Pietrangelo is either going to flourish or be a complete bust, there really isn't an in-between on it. Having 2 great puck movers could make the offense more dangerous, but Russell could easily be overmatched against top competition.

I think as long as Jackman stays with Shattenkirk, the other two pairings will be ok.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 04:53 PM
  #40
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,509
vCash: 868
All of this is coming from what Jackman said to the media. We are going to start the season with back-to-back games against a "hated rival" on the 19th & 20th; so that basically narrows it down to 2. The schedules are basically ready to be released as soon as the CBA ratified... so hopefully that is tomorrow.

Alklha is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:10 PM
  #41
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler
 
Falco Lombardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 15,041
vCash: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Am I the only one that wants to possibly see a Russell-Petro pairing? The only thing that really scares me about it, is the possiblity of a Jackman-Polak pairing.
Nope I am 100 percent on board with that pairing.

Falco Lombardi is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:33 PM
  #42
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 9,643
vCash: 500
I think the success of the Russell-Pietrangelo pairing will depend on the Blues ability to keep teams from carrying the puck into the defensive zone. If the defensive play of the forwards is capable of forcing opponents to consistently dump the puck, then I think the mobility and puck movement of that pairing will be able to neutralize and effectively counter most attacks.

If the other team is consistently able to carry the puck in or effectively disrupt the Blues puck movement with an aggressive forecheck, then I could see that pairing getting hemmed in and eventually overwhelmed under sustained pressure in their own zone. That doesn't bode well, since we'll see quite a bit of both of those things in the playoffs.

Cole's a better fit in many ways, but he'll need to prove to his coaches that he can be trusted in that role by playing with discipline and consistency. Long-term I see it as Cole's job to earn rather than Russell's job to lose.

EastonBlues22 is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:49 PM
  #43
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
I thought Nichol wasn't coming back. Wasn't it a one year deal for last season?
Yes, but they then signed him to another one year deal. Same with Langenbrunner.

STL fan in IA is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 05:57 PM
  #44
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
I feel better about D'Agostini than either of the gentleman above but if you are going to go with a lineup like the one above, I'd would put efforts into trading D'Agostini. Guy had 20 goals and 46 points two seasons ago. I think you can find a decent defenseman for him if you can't find a place to play him.

But as previously stated, I'd have D'Agostini playing.
Agreed. I'd have D'ags in the lineup but if he's not going to be used or not used effectively (and I don't really think putting him, Bergy and Stewart together is using any of those 3 effectively), then they may as well trade him if they can get a serviceable d-man in return.

Better yet, let D'ags play a bit and score a few goals and then once a team with good defensive depth gets some injuries at forward and starts looking for forward depth, then hopefully there will be enough of a market for D'ags to get something decent for him via trade.

That said, Hitch has used D'ags on the 4th line in the past so I wouldn't be overly surprised if he does that again if he doesn't put him with Stewart and Bergy. If D'ags is on the 4th line, that would pretty much make the lines:

Perron-Backes-Oshie
McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko
Sobotka-Bergy-Stewart
D'ags-Nichol-Langenbrunner/Reaves/Porter

I'm not a big fan of D'ags on the 4th line either but Hitch seems to like him there at times.

STL fan in IA is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 06:17 PM
  #45
Falco Lombardi
AKA Dolph Ziggler
 
Falco Lombardi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 15,041
vCash: 103
I'm not going to question Hitch, but D'Ags on the 4th seems like a waste. Much prefer Sobotka there personally.

What are others expectations from 15 this year? Mine are not high at all.

Falco Lombardi is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 06:59 PM
  #46
BlueBeard
Registered User
 
BlueBeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,958
vCash: 500
From the interview with Hitchcock on KMOX the other night it sounds like he's going to pull every rabbit out of his hat to try to compensate for conditioning levels and keep everyone as fresh as possible so I wouldn't be surprised to see just about any combination of forwards and defense you can think of. The only exception I would see is Nichol playing above the 4th line.

BlueBeard is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 08:16 PM
  #47
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 14,579
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post

Defense

Russell-Petro


The biggest weakness of this team IMO is still Petros partner. It sounds like Hitch wants to try Russell with Petro first. I dont really like this pairing but I like it slightly more than Cole-Petro. If the Blues were to get a legitimate partner for Petro, it would solve quite a bit for the team IMO. How to do that without creating holes elsewhere is the near impossible task though. With this pairing, hopefully Russell can be good enough defensively to let Petro do his thing.

Jackman-Polak

The defensive shut-down pairing. I think this pairing has only been so-so in the past and should be better defensively than it has been a lot of the time but they should be a good pairing and seem to work well on the PK together.

Cole-Shatty

These guys have been paired together since they were 16 years old (they played on the US U-17 and U-18 teams together as well as the U18 and U20 Jr teams). They have good chemistry together. Hopefully they can show consistency though.

7th d-man: Woywitka

I honestly never thought wed see him again. Hes not a bad 7th option though. If the Blues were to add a d-man to pair with Petro, that would likely push Woywitka to Peoria though and give the Blues better defensive depth. Theyre pretty thin after Woywitka with the next callups after him likely being Fairchild, Ford and Chorney. The Blues seem to go through a lot of d-men every season and I see no reason why they wont this season as well, especially since injuries are even more likely in a condensed schedule, so the defensive depth concerns me a little.

Goalies

Halak
Elliott


The main concern here is how both will perform after not really playing at all during the lockout (Halak played 1 game in the 2nd division German league). The Blues will need them to be on their game from the get-go, no rust, for the team to succeed. Injuries are a big concern for goalies in a condensed season so its good to have two dependable guys. If both stay healthy, I'm going to guess we'll see a 60/40 Halak/Elliott split. Can Elliott prove last season wasnt a fluke though? If hes as good as his new mask, he should be excellent. Can these guys repeat their success from last season? Will the defensive play of their teammates be as good as it was last season? All big questions for this exciting Blues squad.
I don't think those will be the defensive pairings.

Russell performs well, but he was overmatched when he had to kill minutes against the top lines. This got exposed in the playoffs a bit. I try to think about it in terms of comparing Russell to Colaiacovo, and I think its a wash. I think Russell is a good 3rd pairing player for this team.

I think Jackman / Polak is a great shut-down pairing in a style that the Blues no longer play under Hitchcock. I don't see them as being capable as a unit of consistently transitioning the puck out of the zone fast enough to play Hitch's system the way it looks when all cylinders are firing.

I'm not sure what the best configuration is for the 3 pairings, and I do think it was the right thing to let Colaiacovo go.....but he's not nearly the destructive force that some paint him as. I daresay there are going to be some moments this season when we miss him. But Cole is going to have to step up, or the Blues are going to have to find a way to obtain a defenseman through trade to create better pairings.

My prediction is that Hitchcock tinkers with the defensive pairings for the early part of the season.

2 Minute Minor is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 10:27 PM
  #48
oPlaiD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I really don't like the idea of D'Agostini-Berglund-Stewart.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Schwartz here instead of D'Agostini.

Hitchock seems to have some confidence in Schwartz based off everything he's said about him over the past year, and saying that he's keeping Perron-Backes-Oshie together makes me seem to think he wants to try Schwartz here with Berglund and Stewart.

Schwartz can set up two shoot-first guys in Berglund and Stewart, and he'll have size to take pressure off him as a smaller guy. He can be the lynchpin of that line if Hitchcock really has confidence in him. He'll have to play well in training camp to make it happen, but I think it's a very real possibility.

Granted that makes it even harder to fit Sobotka/D'Agostini/Nichol/Langenbrunner in the lineup, but with the lockout there's going to be plenty of places for people to fit in with a compressed schedule and likely conditioning problems and injuries.

oPlaiD is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 10:43 PM
  #49
STL fan in IA
Registered User
 
STL fan in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I don't think those will be the defensive pairings.

Russell performs well, but he was overmatched when he had to kill minutes against the top lines. This got exposed in the playoffs a bit. I try to think about it in terms of comparing Russell to Colaiacovo, and I think its a wash. I think Russell is a good 3rd pairing player for this team.

I think Jackman / Polak is a great shut-down pairing in a style that the Blues no longer play under Hitchcock. I don't see them as being capable as a unit of consistently transitioning the puck out of the zone fast enough to play Hitch's system the way it looks when all cylinders are firing.

I'm not sure what the best configuration is for the 3 pairings, and I do think it was the right thing to let Colaiacovo go.....but he's not nearly the destructive force that some paint him as. I daresay there are going to be some moments this season when we miss him. But Cole is going to have to step up, or the Blues are going to have to find a way to obtain a defenseman through trade to create better pairings.

My prediction is that Hitchcock tinkers with the defensive pairings for the early part of the season.
I agree that lines and pairings change up all the time but those are the pairings JR posted after talking with Hitch. Seems like Hitch is the one that wants to try Russell-Petro.

I really hope Cole is able to take a step up this season but he's really had problems with consistency so far. It's time for him to have more than flashes of brilliance. He needs to be a player Hitch can count on game in and game out.

STL fan in IA is online now  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:13 PM
  #50
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,025
vCash: 500
I'd rather have Schwartz on that line than D'Agostini. And, I don't like the idea of Cole and Shattenkirk paired together.

Robb_K is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.