HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New Jersey Devils Defense

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2013, 05:16 PM
  #226
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Fayne on the PP over Greene hurts my eyes.

I get that it's nice to have symmetrical handedness, but DeBoer goes overboard. Or maybe it was Oates who did that dumb crap with Clarkson in the faceoff circle.
Ya, but it won't be Fayne over him. It would be Larsson or Zidlicky, at least this year. Maybe Gelinas or Merrill in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 81 View Post
i think he'll probably get 2nd pairing minutes even strength, 2nd unit pp, and probably still wont see much of him on the pk.
I think this is accurate.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:18 PM
  #227
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Pull a Lemaire and put Volch in front of the net during the PP.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:25 PM
  #228
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
 
GameSeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
Pull a Lemaire and put Volch in front of the net during the PP.
You just know he'd get hit in the grille with the puck

GameSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 05:50 PM
  #229
kamil27
Registered User
 
kamil27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Poland
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
our d needs to more aggressive hopefully scotty stevens will teach em that

kamil27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 07:52 PM
  #230
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,412
vCash: 500
Our D definitely needs more goal scoring. Been saying this since last year. It will help make up for some of the lost goal production. I'd like to see each defenseman score 5 goals, or at least at a 5 goal per 82 game pace. If someone is only on a 2 or 3 goal pace, then maybe someone else can be at a 7 or 8 goal pace.

Of course in an 82 game season.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:31 PM
  #231
Tretyak 20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I still remember when that Jackass#94 guy said Winnipeg will crush us this year cause they signed Jokinen this year! Jokinen's such a curse to playoff teams he was traded to the Rangers at the deadline that year they barely finished outside of 8th place.

Oh yeah we're talking Jussi Jokinen! I'd take either one over Janssen!

Wait a minute Tretyak. Are you talking about Olli? Jussi never played for the Rangers. I was thrown off by the comment about your dad being a lifelong Rangers fan.
Yeah, I was talking about Olli Jokinen. I don't think I've watch more than three or four games Jussi Jokinen played in. Is that who you were talking about?

Janssen is a psycho and possibly the least skilled player in NHL history, but at least he tries!

Tretyak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:36 PM
  #232
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 21,749
vCash: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He'd have to pick his offence back up again too. He doesn't produce points like a #1 should.
If he was played in an offensive role he certainly would. DeBoer deems to prefer him as a mobile two-way defender, and I don't disagree with him, but in a role where he's allowed to take the initiative more often he's certainly a 35-40 point plus player.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:39 PM
  #233
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretyak 20 View Post
Yeah, I was talking about Olli Jokinen. I don't think I've watch more than three or four games Jussi Jokinen played in. Is that who you were talking about?

Janssen is a psycho and possibly the least skilled player in NHL history, but at least he tries!
Yes it's been a few nights now, but I believe Apice was talking about Jussi Jokinen.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:44 PM
  #234
Tretyak 20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Yes it's been a few nights now, but I believe Apice was talking about Jussi Jokinen.
Oh well, Jussi would be a possibility, I just haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion.

Tretyak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:50 PM
  #235
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,412
vCash: 500
Haha there's a thread on the Penguins board debating whether to buy out, or trade Paul Martin. Man have the times changed.

Remember when some of us were still bummed Paul Martin didn't stay? I was one of them just a little over a year ago.

As much as we complain about Volchenkov, I think Martin's contract is worse. He brings more offense, but $5.5 million worth? GTFO!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:50 PM
  #236
Tretyak 20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,071
vCash: 500
...As far as our D goes, I think that:

Volchenkov can easily blossom into the punishing hitter/shutdown guy we need.

Tallinder will continue to solidify his game and become a major asset.

Greene has established himself as a very solid B+ NHL defenseman.

Salvador has bled for this team, shown real leadership and played very well.

Zidlicky is the only real offensive D we have, and can cover his own end, too.

Fayne will only get better, and will easily be a top-4 D for a long time.

Larsson is the real deal. A future top-pairing all-star.


...So who do we trade? I'm just glad I don't have Lou's job.

Tretyak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:54 PM
  #237
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretyak 20 View Post
...As far as our D goes, I think that:

Volchenkov can easily blossom into the punishing hitter/shutdown guy we need.

Tallinder will continue to solidify his game and become a major asset.

Greene has established himself as a very solid B+ NHL defenseman.

Salvador has bled for this team, shown real leadership and played very well.

Zidlicky is the only real offensive D we have, and can cover his own end, too.

Fayne will only get better, and will easily be a top-4 D for a long time.

Larsson is the real deal. A future top-pairing all-star.


...So who do we trade? I'm just glad I don't have Lou's job.
Tallinder, and I'm sure by game 1 or 2 of the season others will be saying it too, if they're not already. If he's paired with Fayne I'll give it halfway through the first period of game 1.

We went from bubble team halfway through the season to game 4 of the SCF without him. He's good depth sure, but I can't possibly see how this team will be worse off without him. If we get a forward back that takes as much of a cap hit as him that's cool. If we don't well then it frees up salary for next year. I'd rather spend the $3+ he's making on a forward. Someone cheaper can replace him eventually too like a guy who's now in the A.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:55 PM
  #238
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
I was talking about Jussi. Don't really want Olli, but there's no way he's a worse option than Janssen as was suggested.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:57 PM
  #239
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I was talking about Jussi. Don't really want Olli, but there's no way he's a worse option than Janssen as was suggested.
The only worse option than Janssen is picking up Boulton off waivers from the Isles, or getting Andrew Peters out of retirement. I wouldn't be surprised if the Isles put that bum on waivers this year either.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:58 PM
  #240
Tretyak 20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I was talking about Jussi. Don't really want Olli, but there's no way he's a worse option than Janssen as was suggested.
My original post was hyperbole. Janssen is basically a place holder for "something almost competely useless". In other words, I wouldn't trade something almost completely useless for Olli Jokinen.

Tretyak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:00 AM
  #241
Tretyak 20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,071
vCash: 500
Perhaps I could say I wouldn't trade a bent fork for Olli Jokinen....

Tretyak 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:03 AM
  #242
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,412
vCash: 500
Janssen won't be replaced by something useless. He'll be sent to Albany, and we don't have to have a goon in the lineup every night. If he is on the roster to start the season he's taking up a spot someone else should have. Especially since he's the only non entry level guy on a two way for one. And for two because we have 8 defensemen right now we will only be able to carry 13 forwards unless someone is on LTIR.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:03 AM
  #243
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Center and defensive depth wins Cups. That's why I still believe we can contend this year, regardless of what Ranger fans think. We have any combination of Zajac, Elias, Zubrus, Henrique, Josefson, and Gionta up the middle. We have 8 D-men that can play 20 minutes a night. As long as Brodeur and Hedberg can stay on their games, there is no reason we shouldn't make the playoffs. Hopefully we land Sykora and make a trade for a rental winger. Would be cool to land Ponikarovsky again. I think trading for Weiss could make sense too, if we want to move some guys around.

Kovy - Zajac - Henrique
Sykora - Elias - Zubrus
??? - Josefson - Clarkson
Carter - Gionta - Bernier

Looks fine to me, even without Parise. But it just makes so much sense to trade a D-man for a 2nd/3rd liner to completely balance this team out.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:07 AM
  #244
Bleedred
BLOW JETS BLOW!
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Center and defensive depth wins Cups. That's why I still believe we can contend this year, regardless of what Ranger fans think. We have any combination of Zajac, Elias, Zubrus, Henrique, Josefson, and Gionta up the middle. We have 8 D-men that can play 20 minutes a night. As long as Brodeur and Hedberg can stay on their games, there is no reason we shouldn't make the playoffs. Hopefully we land Sykora and make a trade for a rental winger. Would be cool to land Ponikarovsky again. I think trading for Weiss could make sense too, if we want to move some guys around.

Kovy - Zajac - Henrique
Sykora - Elias - Zubrus
??? - Josefson - Clarkson
Carter - Gionta - Bernier

Looks fine to me, even without Parise.
That does look good, but hopefully we won't have to wait until the playoffs to roll with that. I can't see Janssen going up to Albany though if we sign Sykora, or if Tedenby makes the team instead, and impresses once Henrique is back, I can see Janssen getting the demotion since he's on a two way. If we do trade a defensemen it's a non issue though.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:34 AM
  #245
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
If he was played in an offensive role he certainly would. DeBoer deems to prefer him as a mobile two-way defender, and I don't disagree with him, but in a role where he's allowed to take the initiative more often he's certainly a 35-40 point plus player.
Maybe, but he needs to be put on the PP for that to happen. We'll have to see what Shaw decides to do with it. If he keeps Oates's right hand rule, Greene will top out at 15 points again.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:31 AM
  #246
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Haha there's a thread on the Penguins board debating whether to buy out, or trade Paul Martin. Man have the times changed.

Remember when some of us were still bummed Paul Martin didn't stay? I was one of them just a little over a year ago.

As much as we complain about Volchenkov, I think Martin's contract is worse. He brings more offense, but $5.5 million worth? GTFO!
i'd take martin back in a heartbeat, if we could get rid of tallinder. certain players (mostly defensemen) play way above their level in NJ, and not anywhere else (martin, oduya, even white to an extent.)

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:46 AM
  #247
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,820
vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
i'd take martin back in a heartbeat, if we could get rid of tallinder. certain players (mostly defensemen) play way above their level in NJ, and not anywhere else (martin, oduya, even white to an extent.)
The forwards wave hello to you too;
gomez
gionta
zelepukin
holik

__________________

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:49 AM
  #248
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Larsson will see spot duty until he shows

PP2 maybe

Some weak 5on5 action vs ****** players.

INCOMING LINE UP

WARNING

LINE UP INCOMING


FORWARDS
Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Adam Henrique ($0.854m)
Petr Sykora ($0.650m) / Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)
Bobby Butler ($0.525m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)
Steve Bernier ($0.775m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.563m) / Ryan Carter ($0.775m)
Cam Janssen ($0.575m) /
Krystofer Barch ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Andy Greene ($3.000m) / Mark Fayne ($1.300m) minute crunching
Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m) PPlay + offensive zone faceoffs
Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Bryce Salvador ($3.167m) shutdown
Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / spot duty

GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($4.500m)
Johan Hedberg ($1.400m)
BUYOUTS
Colin White ($1.000m) / Trent Hunter ($0.667m) / Eric Boulton ($0.163m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,733,333; BONUSES: $262,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $13,729,167

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:57 AM
  #249
hlaverty06
Registered User
 
hlaverty06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ all day
Country: United States
Posts: 7,280
vCash: 500
No thanks to Volchenkov and Sal together.

Greene-Fayne
Larsson-Sal
Zid-Volch

That's what I'd be comfortable with

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:00 AM
  #250
Buggsy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Larsson will see spot duty until he shows

PP2 maybe

Some weak 5on5 action vs ****** players.

INCOMING LINE UP

WARNING

LINE UP INCOMING


FORWARDS
Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Adam Henrique ($0.854m)
Petr Sykora ($0.650m) / Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m)
Bobby Butler ($0.525m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)
Steve Bernier ($0.775m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.563m) / Ryan Carter ($0.775m)
Cam Janssen ($0.575m) /
Krystofer Barch ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Andy Greene ($3.000m) / Mark Fayne ($1.300m) minute crunching
Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m) PPlay + offensive zone faceoffs
Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Bryce Salvador ($3.167m) shutdown
Adam Larsson ($0.925m) / spot duty

GOALTENDERS
Martin Brodeur ($4.500m)
Johan Hedberg ($1.400m)
BUYOUTS
Colin White ($1.000m) / Trent Hunter ($0.667m) / Eric Boulton ($0.163m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,733,333; BONUSES: $262,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $13,729,167
I'm not sure how you can logically suggest that Larsson is going to be either scratched or riding the bench.

Buggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.