HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12-13' Prospects Thread Version XIV: Rielly Cool Story Broll

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 11:21 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
To me, there are two scenarios that I would welcome this season

1. A playoff berth
2. A high pick, but where we see Kadri, Rielly, Frattin, etc play leading roles
I agree. Worst case scenario is we finish just outside the playoffs and pick around 14th.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:33 AM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
I agree. Worst case scenario is we finish just outside the playoffs and pick around 14th.
its possible that even with this, we could move up much higher according to new CBA if i am correct.

or is that only for the 1st OA pick?

Old
01-10-2013, 11:45 AM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlattNazty View Post
its possible that even with this, we could move up much higher according to new CBA if i am correct.

I believe so. I know all non-playoff teams have a chance at 1st overall. Not sure how good the odds are of moving up into the top 10 or 5 are though.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:46 AM
416Leafer

Quote:

It would be very very very unlikely. The lottery used to be that you could move up a Max of 4 spots. Now it's that any team in the top 15 can move up to the #1 overall spot.

At 14th, the % last year was 0.8%. The team that finished 23rd (8th overall pick initially) is the highest any team has ever moved up from in the lottery (NJ and Chicago have won from that position).

Old
01-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Let me tell you somethin' brother! This draft lottery has got to put a wrench in any tanking plans brother, but we as the Leafs could never tank properly man, Edmonton were the masters those ******** brother, so maybe the Leafs luck will change dude, maybe the heavens will open up and the big man upstairs will allow the blue and white to win the lottery and even though they will end up in their Leaf spot aka 1 point out of playoff spot, this new draft lottery brother could provide light for a dark dynasty right now, so what you gonna do brother when the Leafs have a 0.01% chance of winning but still do and get Nate MacKINGon to run wild on you!

Old
01-10-2013, 01:22 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
Let me tell you somethin' brother! This draft lottery has got to put a wrench in any tanking plans brother, but we as the Leafs could never tank properly man, Edmonton were the masters those ******** brother, so maybe the Leafs luck will change dude, maybe the heavens will open up and the big man upstairs will allow the blue and white to win the lottery and even though they will end up in their Leaf spot aka 1 point out of playoff spot, this new draft lottery brother could provide light for a dark dynasty right now, so what you gonna do brother when the Leafs have a 0.01% chance of winning but still do and get Nate MacKINGon to run wild on you!
Not sure if serious..

01-10-2013, 02:21 PM
81snipe

vCash: 800
Quote:
Hulk is that you?

Old
01-10-2013, 02:48 PM
KlattNazty

Hoping that the leafs continue to draft creative, sizeable, puck possession forwards, especially on the wings.

Biggs, Leivo, Ashton will help in this area, but hoping we can get some more playmaking style forwards to help fill out the ranks. And I am hoping we can find one or two that look more like top 6 guys. I love the guys i listed and think they have NHL futures (not totally sold on Leivo yet tho).

Just saying I think we could use more playmaking skill up front. Especially in Bigger bodies.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:56 PM
odessa
Ima Firen Mah Lazar

How's Matt Finn playing? Does he need another year in juniors or is he AHL ready? What is his realistic potential? How's his skating atm.? Tell me everything what needs to know about this interesting prospect.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:58 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Hoping that the leafs continue to draft creative, sizeable, puck possession forwards, especially on the wings.

Biggs, Leivo, Ashton will help in this area, but hoping we can get some more playmaking style forwards to help fill out the ranks. And I am hoping we can find one or two that look more like top 6 guys. I love the guys i listed and think they have NHL futures (not totally sold on Leivo yet tho).

Just saying I think we could use more playmaking skill up front. Especially in Bigger bodies.
I think that the Leafs have taken some pretty big chances with guys that are big wingers, but haven't fully developed them yet. Aside from the guys you mentioned, Crescenzi and Devane are 2 bottom 6 wingers with size.

They gave up on Sondre Olden and Josh Nicholls, who were both big and skillful. So the Leafs have really taken their chances with the few that they have selected.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:06 PM
Brody
$$

vCash: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa View Post
How's Matt Finn playing? Does he need another year in juniors or is he AHL ready? What is his realistic potential? How's his skating atm.? Tell me everything what needs to know about this interesting prospect.
Good. He can't play in the AHL. Top four dman. Good.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:10 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
I think that the Leafs have taken some pretty big chances with guys that are big wingers, but haven't fully developed them yet. Aside from the guys you mentioned, Crescenzi and Devane are 2 bottom 6 wingers with size.

They gave up on Sondre Olden and Josh Nicholls, who were both big and skillful. So the Leafs have really taken their chances with the few that they have selected.
Devane yes, I guess that was a gamble he would become lucic like. Crescenzi was undrafted I believe and is a centre.

They did give up on those two, you are correct. Although I have heard they have maintained ties with Olden but he is not even doing well in Norway I believe.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:19 PM
BertCorbeau
The Sidebartender

Quote:
Devane yes, I guess that was a gamble he would become lucic like. Crescenzi was undrafted I believe and is a centre.

They did give up on those two, you are correct. Although I have heard they have maintained ties with Olden but he is not even doing well in Norway I believe.
I thought Nicholls started the year very well, has he kept up the pace or fallen off?

Old
01-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I could be quite wrong as well but I think it was something along nutrition or something not a scout per say, specifically for defensemen after he took a year off.

Edit: AFter not being lazy, he is for player development:

-from youtube:Steve Staios, a veteran defenceman of 18 seasons in the National Hockey League, announced his retirement as an active player on Wednesday. The Hamilton, Ontario native played in 1,001 career regular season games and 33 more in the NHL postseason from 1995 to 2012. He has accepted a position with the Toronto Maple Leafs as Player Development Advisor. Here is his 1st G+ Hangout.
Thanx for this. I really hope player development involves developing Rielly's defensive game. I think Staios could be really valuable in that regard, but I could be off.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:28 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertCorbeau View Post
I thought Nicholls started the year very well, has he kept up the pace or fallen off?
he has played well point wise every year since being drafted. but they chose not to sign him due to deficient skating i believe.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:56 PM
showtime8

Quote:
he has played well point wise every year since being drafted. but they chose not to sign him due to deficient skating i believe.
This is the exact problem that is wrong with the Leafs and the exact problem to what is right with the Red Wings.

The Wings use their late picks on guys that have skill, but aren't there from a fundamental skating point. And then they coach the heck out of them, to put them in a good position to succeed.

Yes, I know that there are limited spots to fill and certain holes in an organization, but to give up on Nicholls might be the wrong idea. He's put up good points in junior and has got good size.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:33 PM
TheNorthFace
Mo and Willy

Quote:
Is it bad I imagined all this being read in the voice of Hulk Hogan?

Old
01-10-2013, 06:35 PM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthFace View Post
Is it bad I imagined all this being read in the voice of Hulk Hogan?
Me too, loved it! Great post haha.

Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 01-10-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: no no kilgro ;)
Old
01-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
He's a leader and a very smart defenceman especially with positioning. He's not the strongest skater, but he can get around and can also jump into the rush. And he's not the most physical player but he can be tough when he wants to be and when he's protecting the net plus he is has a very good stick in the defensive zone. He makes a great first pass, can make plays and has a really good shot from the point. He is prone to making the odd turnover in his own zone with the puck especially when there is an agressive forechecker(s), but overall, what sets him apart is his smarts with and without the puck.

Finn is a two-way defenceman. He plays on the number one penalty kill and his ability to make plays along with his big shot from the point allows him to be a mainstay on the powerplay.

BTW, the number of goals he has should tell you just how good his shot is.

I;m not great at comparing players to NHL, but if I had to, I'd say right now he reminds me of James Wisniewski.
I'd say one more year of juniour and then one or two years in the AHL would do wonders for a player who has already proven to be really reliable on the ice.

Last edited by Atomos2: 01-10-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old
01-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
He's a leader and a very smart defenceman especially with positioning. He's not the strongest skater, but he can get around and can also jump into the rush. And he's not the most physical player but he can be tough when he wants to be and when he's protecting the net plus he is has a very good stick in the defensive zone. He makes a great first pass, can make plays and has a really good shot from the point. He is prone to making the odd turnover in his own zone with the puck especially when there is an agressive forechecker(s), but overall, what sets him apart is his smarts with and without the puck.

Finn is a two-way defenceman. He plays on the number one penalty kill and his ability to make plays along with his big shot from the point allows him to be a mainstay on the powerplay.

BTW, the number of goals he has should tell you just how good his shot is.

I;m not great at comparing players to NHL, but if I had to, I'd say right now he reminds me of James Wisniewski.
But Finn can actually play defence...

Old
01-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
But Finn can actually play defence...
Yes he can. Very well. At least as well as you can in junior. He'll need time in the AHL though.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Grant
LL Genius

vCash: 50
With Finn, just remember that he is known as a defense first kind of guy who plays defense well.

Then all you have to do is look at his points total and you can realize that he is a special prospect.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
With Finn, just remember that he is known as a defense first kind of guy who plays defense well.

Then all you have to do is look at his points total and you can realize that he is a special prospect.
He's more of an all-around guy, but his defensive game is what will make him really valuable at the next level.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Guy Boucher

Quote:
Yes he can. Very well. At least as well as you can in junior. He'll need time in the AHL though.
Yea...but Wizniewski can't. I get the big shot comparison but...not really the same at all.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:57 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
Yea...but Wizniewski can't. I get the big shot comparison but...not really the same at all.
Well someone else said Finn is more like Dan Hamhuis although I haven't seen much of him. I'm not great at comparing players so Wizniewski might be a bad comparison.

Closed Thread