HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Alex Forsberg - Saskatoon Blades, WHL (2013 undrafted)

Old
01-10-2013, 10:26 PM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Nothing is stopping them from trading him in the summer.
Yes, true. I guess if he really dominates Jr. A it will only increase his value in the summer.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:28 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Wow, why would PG do this... another example of asset mismanagement and poorly ran junior program. Getting a small amount for Forsberg from another team is better than getting nothing for him to not even play on your team at all. Good job Dallas Thompson.
Real question is why did Forsberg want for this to happen in the first place?

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:30 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

i feel bad for him. by some accounts, his behaviour hasn't been what you'd hope for from someone in their draft year seeking to make a good impression...but it also seems like his parents are just exacerbating the problem.

it seems like he's been in a tough situation...and 17 isn't terribly old, so, negative rumours aside, i'll give him the benefit of the doubt. i hope he finds a good place for himself.

as an aside, can anyone more clued in than me think other #1 (or v. highly ranked) CHL draft picks that have suffered this much of a crash?

i follow the OHL...so don't know a tonne about the other leagues...and the draft order from the OHL draft is a bit of a joke b/c the top players all game the system - meaning that the #1 selection frequently isn't the best player in the draft (Catenacci, McFarland, O'Reilly).

when forsberg was picked #1 ... was he actually the best player in that draft...or was he the highest ranked player who agreed to report to the team?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:59 PM
Skinnyjimmy08

Dont feel bad for him one bit... I applaud PG for doing this. Forsberg should have came back after Xmas, voiced his concerns to the management and quietly requested a trade. He screwed himself and the team by doing it how he did. I'm sure fans in PG are a little upset because they coulda gotten a good return back for Forsberg, and I feel real bad for them. I am still amazed how before the season Forberg was ranked to be a possible 1st rounder and is now in Junior A.... I love it

Skinnyjimmy08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnyjimmy08 View Post
Dont feel bad for him one bit... I applaud PG for doing this. Forsberg should have came back after Xmas, voiced his concerns to the management and quietly requested a trade. He screwed himself and the team by doing it how he did. I'm sure fans in PG are a little upset because they coulda gotten a good return back for Forsberg, and I feel real bad for them. I am still amazed how before the season Forberg was ranked to be a possible 1st rounder and is now in Junior A.... I love it
It never ceases to amaze me how some find such joy in other peoples problems.

PG apparently was asking quite a bit (kinda like the Lou situation) and the fact is that they will now probably get less for him in the offseason.

Hopefully this will come to some kind of resolution so both the team and player can move on as there are no winners in this situation right now.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:16 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
when forsberg was picked #1 ... was he actually the best player in that draft...or was he the highest ranked player who agreed to report to the team?
He was ranked number 1. Lazar went right after him and Lazar wasn't even rated as a 1st rounder for most of the season.

For the people who are saying how happy and funny you find it. Grow up honestly, he's 17 and in a tough position. Even with the negative rumors, he's still just a kid. Just because he plays hockey and has a chance to play pro some day means he should just shut up and be in a terrible organization the past few years. Just like the Petes in the OHL (not to call you out Petes fans), terrible mangement and players want out. They're entitled to want to play where they want for whatever reason, it's not the pros here where theyre making millions, they get like $50 a week if even. Hell they can't even drink or even drive legally alone some of these kids.

He clearly saw its a downward spiral with the Cougars and wanted out, happens all the time in junior. I don't even like the kid, never have liked him or his brother found they were overrated, but all this hate on him makes me have to root for him and hope he makes it to the show. He'll get traded next season, PG was probably asking too much, at the moment neither Alex or the team gains anything from this.

Myself and others have clearly stated in this thread that what if it was you, what if you had some job where it was unfair and far away from home, etc. Won't say it all again, it'll get ignored. It's sick that people find joy in some poor childs misery, or in any creatures misery.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:29 PM
arsmaster

He's 17 shello, not 6.

I don't take joy in it, but I bet he learned a life lesson.

Situation could have been handled better by both sides, but I'd say Alex and his family made a really poor decision at this moment.

It might just benefit him to go and play SJHL, i just don't like how it was handled.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:34 PM
bruinsfan46

You get a pretty finite amount of time in junior hockey, the team isn't showing any progress you have to get out at some point. Forsberg could have stuck it out a little longer but Prince George has to get its **** together.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:43 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
He's 17 shello, not 6.

I don't take joy in it, but I bet he learned a life lesson.

Situation could have been handled better by both sides, but I'd say Alex and his family made a really poor decision at this moment.

It might just benefit him to go and play SJHL, i just don't like how it was handled.
The joy part wasn't directed towards you

I agree with you, both sides handled it wrong and it resulted into neither partie benefiting.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:16 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
You get a pretty finite amount of time in junior hockey, the team isn't showing any progress you have to get out at some point. Forsberg could have stuck it out a little longer but Prince George has to get its **** together.
What? Get out at some point? Well, I could be way wrong here, but "getting out" in your draft year is the exact worst time to be drawing negative attention to yourself by doing something like this.

Now he will likely fall to the later rounds or not even be drafted at all. Im thinking sucking it up for three more months and working your ass off would be a better alternative. Request a trade in the summer after youve been drafted.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:19 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
What? Get out at some point? Well, I could be way wrong here, but "getting out" in your draft year is the exact worst time to be drawing negative attention to yourself by doing something like this.

Now he will likely fall to the later rounds or not even be drafted at all. Im thinking sucking it up for three more months and working your ass off would be a better alternative. Request a trade in the summer after youve been drafted.
I don't really want to be seen as the guy who tirelessly defends Forsberg because I don't have any info that other people don't and I don't even think he's that great of a prospect. But we really don't know the whole story, perhaps it speaks to how truly toxic the situation in PG is for Forsberg, and the strain between management/coach/player has reached an unworkable level?

Old
01-11-2013, 12:27 AM
afrobomber11

cant wait for forsberg to get to flon next weekend, gunna beak him something fierce

afrobomber11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Fuzzy Bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrobomber11 View Post
cant wait for forsberg to get to flon next weekend, gunna beak him something fierce
Well he is going to put butts in the seats in some SJHL rinks the remainder of the season and many teams will appreciate the attendance boost.

Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:52 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
He was ranked number 1. Lazar went right after him and Lazar wasn't even rated as a 1st rounder for most of the season.

For the people who are saying how happy and funny you find it. Grow up honestly, he's 17 and in a tough position. Even with the negative rumors, he's still just a kid. Just because he plays hockey and has a chance to play pro some day means he should just shut up and be in a terrible organization the past few years. Just like the Petes in the OHL (not to call you out Petes fans), terrible mangement and players want out. They're entitled to want to play where they want for whatever reason, it's not the pros here where theyre making millions, they get like $50 a week if even. Hell they can't even drink or even drive legally alone some of these kids.

He clearly saw its a downward spiral with the Cougars and wanted out, happens all the time in junior. I don't even like the kid, never have liked him or his brother found they were overrated, but all this hate on him makes me have to root for him and hope he makes it to the show. He'll get traded next season, PG was probably asking too much, at the moment neither Alex or the team gains anything from this.

Myself and others have clearly stated in this thread that what if it was you, what if you had some job where it was unfair and far away from home, etc. Won't say it all again, it'll get ignored. It's sick that people find joy in some poor childs misery, or in any creatures misery.
do you whl watchers see prospects taking the draft seriously? the ohl draft is pretty much a joke at this point - if the kid gets exceptional status, he'll report; if the #1 team seems desirable (rarely) the kid will report b/c of the prestige of being #1 overall.

i'm interested in the 'race to the bottom' of this year's ohl draft. if the 67s are the worst team and pick #1 overall i'm very confident the kid will report. if the petes end up as the worst team they're going to either do what baie comeau did and draft #1 and trade for the rebuild (which would actually be smart for the petes) or have to go way down the list looking for someone who will report

Old
01-11-2013, 01:04 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I don't really want to be seen as the guy who tirelessly defends Forsberg because I don't have any info that other people don't and I don't even think he's that great of a prospect. But we really don't know the whole story, perhaps it speaks to how truly toxic the situation in PG is for Forsberg, and the strain between management/coach/player has reached an unworkable level?
That could well be, or not. We dont really know one way or the other.

What difference does it make?

From where I sit, it doesnt matter much. Ya, it would be nice to play on a winning team in a big city, or your home town, but at the end of the day, he decided to stay home after the Christmas break, instead of toughing it out for 90 days in his draft year. Barring some kind of situation where his safety was in peril, or some kind of family emergency, it is hard to justify what he did.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post
Horse ****.

That tells me that the kid is a quitter, whiner and has the kind of character I don't want on my team. When things get tough, he gives up and goes home to mommy. Not a winner, not the kind of player I would want.

Glad he didn't get traded, the Cougars gave the kid an education in the game of life.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:11 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Horse ****.

That tells me that the kid is a quitter, whiner and has the kind of character I don't want on my team. When things get tough, he gives up and goes home to mommy. Not a winner, not the kind of player I would want.

Glad he didn't get traded, the Cougars gave the kid an education in the game of life.
I would honestly take a shot at drafting him now in the later rounds, I think he started being undervalued the moment all these character assassinations start coming out. I wouldn't have touched him in rounds 2 or 3 when some people wanted him there earlier in the year but round 6-7 he is worth a shot still IMO.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:14 AM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Okay let's skip my over exaggeration with slavery, you still haven't answered the question.

And the WHL doesn't NEED the draft, they choose to have it.

NCAA teams offer scholarships (job opening)s and interviews take place where both college and player decide to go the same way or not.

It's a different way more fair to both parties, the draft is obviously tilted in favor of one side only right now.
To have an equitable league, a draft is necessary. The NCAA is a farce in every sport because the same few teams are always at the top. That is garbage. With a draft, every team has an opportunity to win - if they are smart enough.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:26 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
To have an equitable league, a draft is necessary. The NCAA is a farce in every sport because the same few teams are always at the top. That is garbage. With a draft, every team has an opportunity to win - if they are smart enough.
o/t...and the NCAA re hockey gets verbal commitments from kids when they're 14/15 yrs old. the vast majority of kids *entering* ntdp have already verbally committed.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:34 AM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
do you whl watchers see prospects taking the draft seriously? the ohl draft is pretty much a joke at this point - if the kid gets exceptional status, he'll report; if the #1 team seems desirable (rarely) the kid will report b/c of the prestige of being #1 overall.

i'm interested in the 'race to the bottom' of this year's ohl draft. if the 67s are the worst team and pick #1 overall i'm very confident the kid will report. if the petes end up as the worst team they're going to either do what baie comeau did and draft #1 and trade for the rebuild (which would actually be smart for the petes) or have to go way down the list looking for someone who will report
I actually follow the OHL draft the most out of the 3 leagues, so take this with a grain of salt. But yea, Im sure they do take it seriously, I can't see a reason why they wouldn't, it partially determines their future.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:10 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
The joy part wasn't directed towards you

I agree with you, both sides handled it wrong and it resulted into neither partie benefiting.
I knew it wasn't, it was just the last sentence of your post I felt was a touch dramatic.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Nas19

I live in PG and I can tell you that the Cougars are a complete joke. I don't blame the kid for wanting out. The management treats players like the stuff you find on the bottom of your shoe. There's a reason so many top prospects end up flopping when they come here. It's because the organization is ran by a bunch of idiots. Do you know why the attendance is so low here in PG? It's not because we don't love hockey it's cause the people who run the team are idiots who have no idea how to run a hockey team. This thing about prospects flopping when they come here isn't going to change until everyone in the entire organization, including the owners, change. I can't even begin to tell you how many people I know (myself included) that refuse to support the team until the ownership changes. The ownership and management of the Cougars is easily the biggest joke in the CHL.

And another reason that prospects might fail when they come here is because PG is a huge party town. There really isn't much else to do here so what do people do? They drink and get stoned. For young teenagers coming here, living away from their parents for the first time, they can easily get distracted and become less focused on hockey. The reason Brett Connolly was a success is simply because he was focused. You never heard about him being at parties or acting like an idiot in town. And that's cause he didn't go to parties and he worked his but off. That's why he is a success. It has nothing to do with the Cougars. And yes Charles Inglis was an idiot. I have heard a few stories...

So to sum up... the entire Prince George Cougars organization is a joke and they are going to keep on ruining prospects until everyone in the organization gets fired. It actually pains me to see the Cougars getting these high draft picks each year. It is almost a guarantee that the organization is going to ruin them.

Nas19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
The draft is not necessary to parity in the league but it does make it easier for teams to control players.

The fact that Forsberg can't play in the SJHL, or anywhere in the CHL is because he is an asset owned by Prince George.

The Cougars are a business and PG wants a return on their investment (which was playing lousy enough to pick 1st, it's not like they have any personal investment in Forberg).

The reason drafts stay in the pro leagues is because they are bargained, one day someone will challenge the legality of the CHL draft and maybe teams will sink or swim like all business do in the real world.

Wait hockey isn't the real world or did some people miss the lockout?

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:28 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
The draft is not necessary to parity in the league but it does make it easier for teams to control players.

The fact that Forsberg can't play in the SJHL, or anywhere in the CHL is because he is an asset owned by Prince George.

The Cougars are a business and PG wants a return on their investment (which was playing lousy enough to pick 1st, it's not like they have any personal investment in Forberg).

The reason drafts stay in the pro leagues is because they are bargained, one day someone will challenge the legality of the CHL draft and maybe teams will sink or swim like all business do in the real world.

Wait hockey isn't the real world or did some people miss the lockout?
There's no reason why Forsberg can't play for Humboldt and he is in fact listed on their roster and will likely play tonight.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:40 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
jfb is right, he can't play for any other team in that "certain" league, but he has every right to play for any other league (except if he signed a contract that limits him)(ex: some NHLers can't go skiing or snowboarding because of their contract due to the risk of injury).

Overall though I think he should've joined the USHL, would've been better for his draft ranking IMO.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote