HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Turris traded to Ottawa (confirmed)

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
We've been through it.
Confirms DM made the right choice.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:23 PM
MP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
Meh, he doesn't like being out of his comfort zone. We've provided him a place where he can be in his comfort zone. Sounds good to me.

He's leaving because he tried something new and didn't like it. I'm not worried but it tickles me that you are
His "comfort zone" is a chartered jet and an expensive pregame meal at the team's luxury hotel. You may feel the need to white-knight your player, but don't expect anyone else to have any sympathy for him.

And I like how you say, "he tried something new and didn't like it"--as if he'd tried some obscure local delicacy and decided that he didn't care for it. I don't know what that might be in Finland, maybe cod spleen, but it doesn't matter. No, he didn't simply "try something new." He signed a contract. There are certain distinctions to be drawn between "trying something new" and signing your name to a document that says you will provide service X in exchange for compensation Y. But such minutiae don't matter to Kyle, as his FEL club has recently discovered.

Why one would feel no less sanguine for all this, much less "tickled," I have no idea.

Old
12-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
The Kyle Turris Holdout
Quote:
The problem is Turris expects that Phoenix should pay for his potential. That is what other teams have done. The Philadelphia Flyers signed James Van Riemsdyk, who was selected second overall in 2007 to a six year contract extension with a $4.25million salary cap hit a few weeks ago. That kind of contract is what Turris wants; despite the fact Van Riemsdyk has had more NHL points.
http://kuklaskorner.com/index.php/ps...turris_holdout

Its never fair to compare one person to another but...

James Van Riemsdyk
2010-2011-75GP 21G 19A 40P
2011-2012-24GP 3G 5A 8P (after Turris signed and he was injured)

Kyle
2010-2011-65GP 11G 14A 25P
2011-2012-55GP 12G 17A 29P

In a league were you have to prove yourself first, a quick comparison showed that he was out of line to ask for raise on "potential". A full year with stats and progress would have equaled a deserved raise...assuming he changed and became willing to step in as the goalie like Boedker could

Old
12-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

I wouldn't be surprised if Turris was the one that specifically asked for the minimum thread count bedsheets the PA wants in the new CBA.

Shame he doesn't have any Fins on his team in Ottawa. I'd like to see him tell them their home country sucks to their face. Some Sens fans may not have an issue with his childish self-entitlement, but if he hasn't matured by the time he's a more veteran presence on the team they better hope their young guys then aren't emulating his lead and start demanding the moon while not proving a damn thing.

Old
12-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceva Sct View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Turris was the one that specifically asked for the minimum thread count bedsheets the PA wants in the new CBA.

Shame he doesn't have any Fins on his team in Ottawa. I'd like to see him tell them their home country sucks to their face. Some Sens fans may not have an issue with his childish self-entitlement, but if he hasn't matured by the time he's a more veteran presence on the team they better hope their young guys then aren't emulating his lead and start demanding the moon while not proving a damn thing.
well, thats the thing.. he's still a kid and he won't be a leader on this team for some time. He signed a 5 year contract with us and I expect him to honor it. If in 5 years he hasnt mature, there is a problem - but you expect growth in anyone over 5 years. I can see how his statements would reaffirm your disdain for Turris, but for me.. meh. He hasnt just been satisfied in Ottawa, he's actively strived to be the most visible face for the franchise. What he showed me, he could be a guy for the Sens who is more important than his on ice contributions. Thats why his comments dont bother me... because as much as I think they are stupid, immature and harmful to his reputation, I think he is smart enough and secure enough to continue being the absolute model athlete and human being that he was in Ottawa.

Old
12-18-2012, 11:56 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Everyone's reading way too much into this...Momma misses her little boy. Ahhh, he's coming home just in time for Xmas. Now we all know why he was asked about his Batman pajamas in his first television interview minutes after he was drafted by Phoenix.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:03 AM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

Seriously. Let it go. Turris obviously didn't want to be here, so let him go play in the East where we'll haedly ever see him. Besides, we have yet to but a taste of what it's like to have Rundblad....and we got Vermette via this deal....i ain't mad.

Old
12-19-2012, 11:17 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Taking the natural knee-jerk reaction aside, I find it fascinating that even after seeing first hand what leagues outside the NHL look like in terms of comfort and life style, the players still don't seem desperate to get some kind of deal done.

These guys have no leverage. None. Everything to lose. It makes no sense.

Old
12-19-2012, 12:53 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 193
After the last 3 + years with the bankruptcy and the ownership/Glendale fiasco, "sense" and "hockey" don't seem to mix off of the ice.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:03 PM
Kaibur

I don't really care about Turris anymore. But what is a problem is the 1C position. It's an extremely important position for a Stanley Cup winning team to have. And it's a position that costs a lot of assets to obtain, either in free agency, or via trade. The most economic way of filling the position is from within, and with a budget conscious club like the Yotes, it's almost imperative that they go this route.

The only 1C potential player that came out of the rebuild from 2004 to 2009 was Kyle Turris. His development was a bit erratic, but by the 2011 playoffs, it was really looking like Kyle Turris might be able to develop to his potential. I love the assets GMDM got out of the trade, especially considering the circumstances. But the result is that we don't have a 1C, the rebuild is over, and we don't have a 1C prospect anywhere in the system. It seems to be the one real hole in the roster.

So how will they fill the position? Keep bringing in guys like Lang, Belanger, Langkow, Lombardi, etc? Wait for UFA to open up and pile on a lot of money to lure someone here? (If Jamison & his partners finances are as tight as some are claiming, this doesn't seem realistic). Wait patiently for one to emerge from the farm system that hasn't produced much in the way of offensive stars? Or make a trade that'll cost an arm in trade assets and a leg in contract amount?

Our defense is worth drooling over. But our offense looks to be one of the weaker ones in the league. I don't see anything that's changed to make our league-worst PP improve in any way. Not having a true 1C is one of the biggest contributors to those weaknesses.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:08 PM
hbk

All this proves is the kid has a sense of entitlement. Something we already knew.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:22 PM
DesertDawg

No, it ain't all this proves, it also proves we ain't got nothing better to type about.

Old
12-19-2012, 02:48 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur View Post
I don't really care about Turris anymore. But what is a problem is the 1C position. It's an extremely important position for a Stanley Cup winning team to have. And it's a position that costs a lot of assets to obtain, either in free agency, or via trade. The most economic way of filling the position is from within, and with a budget conscious club like the Yotes, it's almost imperative that they go this route.

The only 1C potential player that came out of the rebuild from 2004 to 2009 was Kyle Turris. His development was a bit erratic, but by the 2011 playoffs, it was really looking like Kyle Turris might be able to develop to his potential. I love the assets GMDM got out of the trade, especially considering the circumstances. But the result is that we don't have a 1C, the rebuild is over, and we don't have a 1C prospect anywhere in the system. It seems to be the one real hole in the roster.

So how will they fill the position? Keep bringing in guys like Lang, Belanger, Langkow, Lombardi, etc? Wait for UFA to open up and pile on a lot of money to lure someone here? (If Jamison & his partners finances are as tight as some are claiming, this doesn't seem realistic). Wait patiently for one to emerge from the farm system that hasn't produced much in the way of offensive stars? Or make a trade that'll cost an arm in trade assets and a leg in contract amount?

Our defense is worth drooling over. But our offense looks to be one of the weaker ones in the league. I don't see anything that's changed to make our league-worst PP improve in any way. Not having a true 1C is one of the biggest contributors to those weaknesses.
I don't think Kyle Turris has 1C potential. He only thrived in the perfect system, with the perfect coach, and the perfect line mates. If he's expected to carry his own weight within a system or on a line, he's not going to meet expectations.

Regardless, the only way we are going to fill that hole is if we get a very, very lucky bingo ball or if guys like OEL, Yandle, Rundblad, Gormley, Stone, and Murphy continue to develop as we all hope. If Murphy has a huge WJC and really dazzles scouts, and Rundblad continues to keep his +/- near zero while racking up points in the AHL, we may have a couple of pretty valuable chips. Valuable and expendable chips if OEL stays on his current path and Yandle has a bit of a rebound. That's really it. I can't see another way.

Old
12-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Jamieh

Is he not the 2nd line center in Ottawa and I'm not sure heading for just over 40 pts with those linemates are "thriving".

Old
12-19-2012, 03:44 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
Regardless, the only way we are going to fill that hole is if we get a very, very lucky bingo ball
Or we could hit another Yandle shot with a 4th.......I can dream right?

Old
12-19-2012, 09:31 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Who is the Turris you speak of???

Old
12-27-2012, 11:23 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't think Kyle Turris has 1C potential. He only thrived in the perfect system, with the perfect coach, and the perfect line mates. If he's expected to carry his own weight within a system or on a line, he's not going to meet expectations.
If you looked at his stats following the trade he excelled against teams with weak forechecking/defense and didn't produce against the better teams. Same story, different team.

Old
01-09-2013, 03:01 PM
ower

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoAZ View Post
Who is the Turris you speak of???
The kid 4 years ago fans on this board crowed about him being the 2nd coming of gretzky, that was going to be a franchise player we were going to build our team around that's now a primadonna bum we couldn't wait to get rid of. Reminds me shades of another player we offloaded to Colorado..

*in my best ben stein voice* Mueller?... Mueller?..

Old
01-11-2013, 01:22 AM
Finnpin

So many (Even myself at first) has taken his words (or the media that wrote it) too seriously. He was interviewed with BS canadian media and that media just picked few negative points to diss a foreign league in their "news". So Turris didn't like rest stop food and couldn't find something interesting to do in cold and dark winter Lapland city. He also signed with a team that has the toughest traveling as they are only northern team in the league. But he also enjoyed his stay and the league but it's not cool to write about that. Some Canadian media so often wants to show how they are the center of the hockey world and everything else is crap. Even Turris was disappointed how the Media turned that interview... though still he is a very hated man in Finland that's for sure as the stuff was all over papers in here And our papers can be as bad as the Canadian ones.

Last edited by Finnpin: 01-11-2013 at 01:35 AM.
Old
01-11-2013, 01:50 AM
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ower View Post
The kid 4 years ago fans on this board crowed about him being the 2nd coming of gretzky, that was going to be a franchise player we were going to build our team around that's now a primadonna bum we couldn't wait to get rid of. Reminds me shades of another player we offloaded to Colorado..

*in my best ben stein voice* Mueller?... Mueller?..
Don't forget Blake Wheeler. At least he's put up consistently decent numbers.
Wheeler-Turris-Mueller
Ifs and buts, good riddance.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:53 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
Don't forget Blake Wheeler. At least he's put up consistently decent numbers.
Wheeler-Turris-Mueller
Ifs and buts, good riddance.
Those short sighted little ****s, if they could see past the nose on their faces they could have been important cogs in one scary ass machine. Oh well good riddance as you say, at least now we have a GM, coaches and players that actually want to be here and the results are showing on the ice!

Old
01-11-2013, 02:25 AM
XX
... Waiting

Anyone remember who we drafted with Wheeler's compensation pick? Was it MacLean?

Old
01-11-2013, 02:32 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Anyone remember who we drafted with Wheeler's compensation pick? Was it MacLean?
we packaged that pick with another 2nd I believe to move up to take Tikhonov. confirmed. we used the 35th pick we got for Wheeler and the 39th pick (our pick) to select Tikhonov.

Old
01-11-2013, 03:29 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
we packaged that pick with another 2nd I believe to move up to take Tikhonov. confirmed. we used the 35th pick we got for Wheeler and the 39th pick (our pick) to select Tikhonov.
Man I completely forgot about Tikhonov, which unfortunately says a lot.

Old
01-11-2013, 03:33 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
So many (Even myself at first) has taken his words (or the media that wrote it) too seriously. He was interviewed with BS canadian media and that media just picked few negative points to diss a foreign league in their "news". So Turris didn't like rest stop food and couldn't find something interesting to do in cold and dark winter Lapland city. He also signed with a team that has the toughest traveling as they are only northern team in the league. But he also enjoyed his stay and the league but it's not cool to write about that. Some Canadian media so often wants to show how they are the center of the hockey world and everything else is crap. Even Turris was disappointed how the Media turned that interview... though still he is a very hated man in Finland that's for sure as the stuff was all over papers in here And our papers can be as bad as the Canadian ones.
Poor Kyle....a victim once again.

Closed Thread