HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLVI All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
The out of town thread is a Gainey thread? Hockey must be back.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:13 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
The out of town thread is a Gainey thread? Hockey must be back.
His legacy is tarnished because of his reign as GM.

And having his number retired? Ludicrous.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:16 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
I actually remember when we hired Gainey. I was ecstatic. Really thought he would turn things around for us. If you had told me back then how bad things would go with Gainey, I wouldn't have believed it.
Your comment about mediocrity hit it right on the nose. You could come on any hockey board during those years and shout as loud as you want how Gainey was killing the team one pin ***** at a time and no one would listen. His tenure was truly a slow plodding march to mediocrity and everyone loved him for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
The reality of the situation is that after picking Price in 2005, the Habs should have gone on a rebuild. We had a mediocre core that we continued to try and work with.

Had Gainey been patient rather blow his wad in the summer of 2008 and then again in 2009... We could be in substantially better shape right now. The lost first round pick in 2008 is often understated here like I said earlier, and we lost that asset (Tanguay) for NOTHING the following summer. The following summer we lost McDonaugh for another nothing. So we lost 2 cornerstone players for nothing.

In 08 rumor has it that Timmins wanted Carlson... Can you imagine? Subban-Carlson-McDonagh?! Gainey defecated all over us.
Koivu was the real problem, the guy dragged the team for years instead of allowing it to die. He turned 3rd liners into 1st liners and worked with junk for ages instead of just packing it in and asking for a trade.

I consider Gaineys tenure the "lost years" and that style of nothingness is why I loved Gauthiers term. He traded players we knew we weren't going to sign and he dumped personnel he knew were not a part of this teams future. Last years results were a bitter pill but I will take that bitter pill over some ****ing 10th place finish anytime.

Edit: You are right in that there is very little to look back at and enjoy from Gainey, only a few bright spots.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:17 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I saw on the main board that the Pens are offering free concessions and half off everything at the arena boutique for the first four games. Pretty good. I wouldn't mind half off a Habs jersey.
I'd go to the boutique and buy a nameless Columbus alternate jersey just to piss them off

Old
01-10-2013, 07:35 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Kovalev to Florida ?
He could surely help us here too.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:49 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleen View Post
Kovalev to Florida ?
He could surely help us here too.
He won't make the Panthers lineup. I have 500 vCash to bet on that

Old
01-10-2013, 09:05 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
His legacy is tarnished because of his reign as GM.

And having his number retired? Ludicrous.
Joking, right?

Old
01-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Joking, right?
Just to young to remember him as a player

Old
01-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Talks to Goalposts

This thread needs less Gainey retrospectives and more making fun of Lucic for being fat.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:27 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
Some here might think I'm nuts, but in a lot of ways, in my mind, Gainey as a player is in the echelon of Bobby Orr, as far as changing how the game is played.

Before you load your shotguns...
Orr redefined the position of defenceman in the NHL. He merged the defense with the attacking mentality of a top forward.

Gainer did something very similar. He combined the forward position with the defending mentality of a defenseman. The NHL had to create a new award for this hybrid playing style. You may have heard of the Selke trophy which he won 3 if the first 4 years it was presented.

And of course, there is the handful of SC rings, the Conn Smythe, Viktor Tikhanov referring to him as the best player in the world, SC winning GM...HOF for x sakes.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
This thread needs less Gainey retrospectives and more making fun of Lucic for being fat.
have any pics?

It will be interesting to see which players get caught terribly out of shape to start the season... you gotta know there will be a bunch of them, especially with play resuming so soon after the holidays.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
have any pics?

It will be interesting to see which players get caught terribly out of shape to start the season... you gotta know there will be a bunch of them, especially with play resuming so soon after the holidays.
It isn't a good one but here:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BAA10btCEAEaY1O.jpg

I don't know if he actually is far from game shape or not, although the reports from the skates is that he can't keep up and gets exhausted easily. But since its Lucic I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

http://www.gohabs.com/trades.htm

This team hasn't had much success when it came to transactions no matter who the GM for years.

Best trades in past 15 years:
2007 - Gorges+1st for Rivet (which Timmins helped a lot by making 1st into Pacioretty)
2004 - Kovalev for 2nd+Balej (which rumours say could have easily been Plekanec if the Rangers chose)
2004 - Huet+Bonk for Garon (Huet was pretty good for a short term)
2000 - Souray+DeWolf for Malakhov (Malakhov won a cup that year but Souray developed pretty well)

Old
01-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Roulin

Visnovsky is going to try to stay in Europe and De Haan is out for the season. The Isles are now down to Streit, Hamonic, MacDonald and Carkner, and maybe Reinhart and Martinek. Maybe Brooklyn is a potential destination for Kaberle or Weber?

Old
01-11-2013, 01:12 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Visnovsky is going to try to stay in Europe and De Haan is out for the season. The Isles are now down to Streit, Hamonic, MacDonald and Carkner, and maybe Reinhart and Martinek. Maybe Brooklyn is a potential destination for Kaberle or Weber?
I wouldn't mind trying to get one of Bridgeport's forwards out of them for Kaberle or Weber. Ullstrom could be a nice fit on our 3rd line...

Old
01-11-2013, 05:19 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Joking, right?
No.

Retiring numbers should be reserved for the absolute elite and nothing else. Lafleur, Richards, Roy, Plante, Harvey, etc. I know Gainey was one of the better defensive forwards the NHL has seen, I just think his number being retired while he is GM just reaks.

Montreal spends too much time admiring its past rather than trying to fix the present and future, or at least was true during the Gainey era and hopefully this is going to change. The past 20 years could effectively be called the "Je me souviens" era.

Last edited by JGRB: 01-11-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old
01-11-2013, 07:19 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Harmonic has just been cleared for contact. I'd say it's not looking too great on defense for the Isles. Same as usual.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:10 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I wouldn't mind trying to get one of Bridgeport's forwards out of them for Kaberle or Weber. Ullstrom could be a nice fit on our 3rd line...
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Harmonic has just been cleared for contact. I'd say it's not looking too great on defense for the Isles. Same as usual.
They could probably use a guy like Weber, even a pick coming from the Isles should be a high one.

They will probably sign players like Campoli and Darche this weekend

Old
01-11-2013, 08:13 AM
ClasslessGuy

what are the jets going to do. They have only 9 players signed at the moment (ufa and rfa) and the season is starting on the 19th. DG will have to sign everybody after this weekend?

Old
01-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
what are the jets going to do. They have only 9 players signed at the moment (ufa and rfa) and the season is starting on the 19th. DG will have to sign everybody after this weekend?
I believe that's after this season, their players are all signed at the moment including new additions Ponikarovsky and Jokinen

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/WPG?year=2013

Old
01-11-2013, 08:22 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolitsky View Post
Watching 1976 Flyers-Habs game on NHL Network (US) right now.

Gainey is boss.

Gainey the player >>> Gainey the GM

Always thought he's got too much class to be an effective GM.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:38 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Gainey was a good GM. He just completely lost it after he lost his daughter in the boating accident.

His philosophy of building through the draft was great. It was when he went against that philosophy (trading for Gomez, trading for Lang, trading for Tanguay) that the team began to suffer. We would be in a better position with Higgins, McDonagh, Grabovski, and whoever Timmins selected with the Tanguay picks.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:48 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
No.

Retiring numbers should be reserved for the absolute elite and nothing else. Lafleur, Richards, Roy, Plante, Harvey, etc. I know Gainey was one of the better defensive forwards the NHL has seen, I just think his number being retired while he is GM just reaks.

Montreal spends too much time admiring its past rather than trying to fix the present and future, or at least was true during the Gainey era and hopefully this is going to change. The past 20 years could effectively be called the "Je me souviens" era.
So you think Gainey wasn't deserved of jersey retirement ?

I am willing to bet, you didn't even see one game played by BG !

Habs fans ...

Old
01-11-2013, 08:52 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Gainey was a good GM. He just completely lost it after he lost his daughter in the boating accident.

His philosophy of building through the draft was great. It was when he went against that philosophy (trading for Gomez, trading for Lang, trading for Tanguay) that the team began to suffer. We would be in a better position with Higgins, McDonagh, Grabovski, and whoever Timmins selected with the Tanguay picks.
Interesting you would say that. That's the exact opposite of what I thought of him as a GM. Countless picks wasted on short-term deals to make the playoffs. There's also a long list of players he let go to "accommodate" them instead of banking additional picks. Great man but very average GM. He gets hyped because he's a fantastic person.

I love how Yzerman collects picks. The results are not visible yet but Tampa will be a contender sooner than the Habs because of the way they draft. They probably had the best group of prospects at the WJC.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Which means he wasn't a good GM. You can't live with one philosophy and then contradict yourself and go against it. And living with the philosophy of the draft...well it can also be called "Not having enough confidence in my abilities of trading so I'd stick with Timmins".....'Cause you can give away a 2nd rounder of Dominic Moore.....or can give away a 2nd rounder for Chris Kelly. 1 has gave some good hockey to the Habs....for 1/2 season. The other is still giving good hockey to the Bruins, winning a cup as well on top of it. You can trade whatever you want. You can get whatever pick you want. It's what you do with the whole thing that is important. I'm an obviously big lover of the draft, but if you send away all those picks we have and automatically become a force to be reckon with for the next 10 years...who cares about the draft. And who cares about building through the draft. But if you send your picks away, or if you lose 10 players for nothing and not improve by it...then you suck as a GM. Gainey will positively solely be remembered for his Rivet and Kovalev trade. Yet, that's the same Gainey who, in the Kovalev trade, offered the choices to the Rags between Hossa, Plekanec and Balej. Thank god the Rangers chose poorly....but then got it back in the Gomez trade. And the Rivet trade looks so awfully good based on Timmins pick, a Timmins appointed by Savard. Thank god Pacioretty was chosen and not Patrick White.

The best feature of Gainey was to bring some legitimacy to the Habs logo after the Houle fiasco. Savard was slowly starting to do it as well but he didn't have the name that Gainey had. THAT's the best Gainey feature....his name, thank god to his incredible hockey career. But the GM? Mediocre to average at the very best.

Closed Thread