HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Caps training camp thread

Old
01-11-2013, 04:07 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Wilson is not ready for the NHL. I repeat not ready.

He is not even consistent in juniors.
Yeah, this.

This team has LOTS of issues if kid who can't crack WJC lineup is regular here..

He could play on fourth line and not look like pylon, I thin he's up to that but what's the ****ing point? He's just finding his offense this year in juniors, staying there would be better to hone his offensive skills and wouldn't burn one year of ELC.

I think they are bringing him here mostly for experience/motivation.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:42 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
That's not why. He's still on an entry-level deal; that cap hit just includes potential bonuses.
That would of been why if you would of stopped bringing facts into it, brah.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:11 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

I'd give Wilson five games or so, just to show him what NHL looks like (esp. if there's no preseason).
I'd say he's very consistent in juniors when it comes to point production. 30 games played, didn't have points in 8. Had two in the game once. Only once he went for two straight without points. That's consistency.

fedfed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:43 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
I think its funny how the "kid isn't ready" crowd always comes out en masse

Wilson is ready to get a taste of what its like in an NHL camp. I don't give a rats ass if he couldnt crack the WJC lineup. Was the coach even looking for a big brawler? The kid is filled out and can handle himself, so he can certainly get into a couple games as a 4th liner without jeopardizing his development one bit.

Alzner was not ready, Orlov was not ready, MJ Sarge Green Carlson Varly. If they don't reach their ceiling, it was because they were rushed, never that they weren't motivated, drug addicts, out of shape or suffered from an injury that changed their game, figured out by the league, couldn't develop their skating, used wrong or in the wrong system, stuck on a crap team, or simply held to too high of expectation.

Yet when a young guy does fine, no one eats crow and says, yeah he was ready and i was wrong as can be. It seems every year there are a few teenagers doing great in the NHL. Kids can develop rapidly or up their game, or simply easily survive being surrounded by good players.

10 years ago, no one would have said this years fleet of rookie QB's taking over the NFL could have been possible. They would all be wrong.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:00 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think its funny how the "kid isn't ready" crowd always comes out en masse

Wilson is ready to get a taste of what its like in an NHL camp. I don't give a rats ass if he couldnt crack the WJC lineup. Was the coach even looking for a big brawler? The kid is filled out and can handle himself, so he can certainly get into a couple games as a 4th liner without jeopardizing his development one bit.

Alzner was not ready, Orlov was not ready, MJ Sarge Green Carlson Varly. If they don't reach their ceiling, it was because they were rushed, never that they weren't motivated, drug addicts, out of shape, figured out by the league, couldn't develop their skating, used wrong or in the wrong system, stuck on a crap team, or simply held to too high of expectation.

Yet when a young guy does fine, no one eats crow and says, yeah he was ready and i was wrong as can be. It seems every year there are a few teenagers doing great in the NHL. Kids can develop rapidly or up their game, or simply easily survive being surrounded by good players.

10 years ago, no one would have said this years fleet of rookie QB's taking over the NFL could have been possible. They would all be wrong.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, would a hipster buy the soundtrack? Sometimes it seems that some posters would rather the team lose and they be proven right than win and have to admit they were wrong. This isn't a Caps board or a Hockey board. It's a deadly game of one-upsmanship.

In short, good luck having an opinion that differs from those who spend all day and night immersed in Hockey. Heaven forbid you are a casual fan with an opinion. I love hockey but have never played it. I've been watching (and been a Caps fan) for twenty years, but I often feel as though many posters think I'm not qualified to have an opinion.

I'm fine with people disagreeing with me and, when it comes to hockey, I often look for the opinions of those who know more than I. But the way people tell you you are wrong around here is often, at best, childish. It's a shame, because this could be, bar none, the best place to have a discussion about hockey on the internet.

Flame on.

OT: I'm very excited to see what Wilson can do. I have no idea if he is ready or not but I'm eager to see him in a Caps uniform. I get the impression he is a Lucic type player in that he is a big body who likes contact and can score a few goals when needed. Is it a fair expectation that he could develop into a 20 goal scoring second line winger with a mean streak? Or do people feel he is more a grinder and checker?

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:04 AM
CrashTheNet9

Nothing would be wrong with Wilson playing five games this year. It'll be. A good experience and he won't burn a year off his ELC.

CrashTheNet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:27 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post
If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, would a hipster buy the soundtrack? Sometimes it seems that some posters would rather the team lose and they be proven right than win and have to admit they were wrong. This isn't a Caps board or a Hockey board. It's a deadly game of one-upsmanship.

In short, good luck having an opinion that differs from those who spend all day and night immersed in Hockey. Heaven forbid you are a casual fan with an opinion. I love hockey but have never played it. I've been watching (and been a Caps fan) for twenty years, but I often feel as though many posters think I'm not qualified to have an opinion.

I'm fine with people disagreeing with me and, when it comes to hockey, I often look for the opinions of those who know more than I. But the way people tell you you are wrong around here is often, at best, childish. It's a shame, because this could be, bar none, the best place to have a discussion about hockey on the internet.

Flame on.

OT: I'm very excited to see what Wilson can do. I have no idea if he is ready or not but I'm eager to see him in a Caps uniform. I get the impression he is a Lucic type player in that he is a big body who likes contact and can score a few goals when needed. Is it a fair expectation that he could develop into a 20 goal scoring second line winger with a mean streak? Or do people feel he is more a grinder and checker?
Lucic (or maybe Brown if you're lucky) seems like best case scenario for Wilson. More realistically he's a guy that should make the NHL but whose offense (such as it is) is in danger of not translating at this level.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I'm sticking with what I said before the lockout. Wilson is "ready" in the sense that he could step in and play the role of a 4th line banger right now. He is physically developed enough for that. However, if we want him to develop into more than just a checking/energy line player and pugilist, then continuing to play in the OHL is the best route to give him plenty of ice time in offensive situations. That being said, an NHL training camp is not going to stunt his development.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:51 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post

I am always psyched to see young prospects and how they fare early on with the big boys. I may even have to trek out to Kettler to get a first hand glimpse.

While he may just be a body (literally and figuratively) with Nick and Laich slowed, I hope he gets a chance to impress. George did not draft him to be a 4th line goon. While he may end up there, I want to see him get every chance to succeed and am perfectly fine with any situation George chooses to test him in 2013.

Game 1.

Ovi Backstrom Wilson

There, I said it.

Flame on!

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Stimpy

By twitter, Backstrom and Hamrlik on the ice today.

Stimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:23 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
Don't want to get too confident but that's gotta be a good sign for Backstrom to be on the ice.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:17 AM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
Nothing would be wrong with Wilson playing five games this year. It'll be. A good experience and he won't burn a year off his ELC.
This is my assumption. The kid is a work in progress and we want to gauge where he stands right now and what he needs to work on. Five games in the NHL would help - it also will help keep him hungry to get better if he gets a taste of the NHL. Competition is key to keeping players pushing themselves - he was left out of the WJC so throw the kid a bone by giving him some NHL experience...

discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:23 AM
amjay13

Awesome news regarding Backstrom.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:24 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
@SWhyno - Backstrom says he's 100 percent.

@kcarrera - Backstrom says he’s 100 percent, expects to be ready for opening night.
So there.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:24 AM
amjay13

Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera
Backstrom says he’s 100 percent, expects to be ready for opening night.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:28 AM
amjay13

Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera
Backstrom saw Dr. Jeffrey Kutcher, head of the University of Michigan's Neurosport program. "No concussion" Backstrom said.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:32 AM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera
Backstrom saw Dr. Jeffrey Kutcher, head of the University of Michigan's Neurosport program. "No concussion" Backstrom said.
Damn, I wish I'd known he was on campus!

Zoidberg Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:33 AM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Oh hell yes... it's on! Nothing standing between the Caps and the 6 seed, now!

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:38 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Sonsofcain, you going to send me flowers now to apologize.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:41 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
Did Brouwer storm off in protest?

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:04 PM
txpd

backstrom is good. no doom. good news

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

great news on Backstrom

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:16 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Is Orlov skating?

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:26 PM
mae

Backstrom is 100% fine with no concussion:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/...no-concussion/

mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

It’s not surprising some players might want to take a day off before full training camp starts on Sunday. The players who have skated at Kettler this week but aren’t on the ice Friday include: Alex Ovechkin, Karl Alzner, John Carlson, Jay Beagle, John Erskine and Mike Green, who hasn’t skated the past two days. (c) WashPost

Those who predicted 3 or 6 games for Green... you lost.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote