HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The Line-Up Thread: Scot Beckenbaugh Appreciation Edition

Old
01-10-2013, 10:06 PM
TheLegendkiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Do not want Briere on girouxs wing. If we're spacing out g and jake, I'd rather try

Hartnell-Giroux-Schenn
Voracek-Briere-Simmonds
This. Then maybe

Read-Couturier-Fedotenko
Sestito-Talbot-Rinaldo

or something.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 10:48 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Sorry but Briere in the Center no longer entices me at all. I want to try him at LW, he scores almost all his goals from the left side anyway. Let Schenn become his setup man.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:20 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Sorry but Briere in the Center no longer entices me at all. I want to try him at LW, he scores almost all his goals from the left side anyway. Let Schenn become his setup man.
i've been saying this for a while now. Briere's goal production could actually go up again if we put him in a LW spot permanently. it might take him a bit to adjust, but if laviolette were to go to him and say "listen, you're a left wing now" and keep him there consistently, i think he'd be fine.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Briere-Schenn-Simmonds
Fedotenko-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo
Sestito

Coburn-Meszaros
Timonen-Schenn
Grossmann-Gustafsson
Lilja

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Ryker

Quote:
i've been saying this for a while now. Briere's goal production could actually go up again if we put him in a LW spot permanently. it might take him a bit to adjust, but if laviolette were to go to him and say "listen, you're a left wing now" and keep him there consistently, i think he'd be fine.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Briere-Schenn-Simmonds
Fedotenko-Couturier-Read
Talbot-Laughton-Rinaldo
Sestito

Coburn-Meszaros
Timonen-Schenn
Grossmann-Gustafsson
Lilja
I like the lineup, but my fourth line would be Wellwood-Talbot-Sestito.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:25 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
if hes healthy Rinaldo plays over Sestito. Rinaldo is the better player and Laviolette trusts him. Sestito is big, but he ****ing sucks.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:49 AM
CootaRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if hes healthy Rinaldo plays over Sestito. Rinaldo is the better player and Laviolette trusts him. Sestito is big, but he ****ing sucks.
Yeah. Based on how Lavi handled playing time last season, it wouldn't surprise me if Rinaldo is already penciled in as the #11 forward for next season pre-camp - leaving Sestito/Laughton/Wellwood/et al fighting for the #12 without him. The org brass has also been noted gushing about Rinaldo... I think it was during the '11 season ticket holders meeting - they were talking about top prospects ready to make an NHL impact and they left some popular names (at the time) off and went straight to him.

While some may not like it, it'd be easier to just accept reality and start putting him on your mock opening night lineups that will be broken up and juggled in 3 games max.

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:12 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
Yeah. Based on how Lavi handled playing time last season, it wouldn't surprise me if Rinaldo is already penciled in as the #11 forward for next season pre-camp - leaving Sestito/Laughton/Wellwood/et al fighting for the #12 without him. The org brass has also been noted gushing about Rinaldo... I think it was during the '11 season ticket holders meeting - they were talking about top prospects ready to make an NHL impact and they left some popular names (at the time) off and went straight to him.

While some may not like it, it'd be easier to just accept reality and start putting him on your mock opening night lineups that will be broken up and juggled in 3 games max.
I'm hoping that Laughton comes in and really impresses, and makes the team as the 4th line C, and forces rinaldo out

I actually forgot about Wellwood, so my ideal 4th line under those circumstances would be

Talbot-Laughton-Wellwood

Old
01-11-2013, 10:22 AM
CootaRoo

Quote:
I'm hoping that Laughton comes in and really impresses, and makes the team as the 4th line C, and forces rinaldo out

I actually forgot about Wellwood, so my ideal 4th line under those circumstances would be

Talbot-Laughton-Wellwood
If Laughton makes the team then the opening night 4th line is Fedetenko-Laughton-Rinaldo (Talbot on the 3rd line - why would he and Cooter be split up after last season's success? and Wellwood/Sestito as the 13th). Like I said, some may not like it, but Lavi made it pretty obvious last year how he values Rinaldo compared to the other fringe NHLers (Wellwood, Sestito, et al) - particuliarly in the playoffs.

CootaRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:08 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by CootaRoo View Post
If Laughton makes the team then the opening night 4th line is Fedetenko-Laughton-Rinaldo (Talbot on the 3rd line - why would he and Cooter be split up after last season's success? and Wellwood/Sestito as the 13th). Like I said, some may not like it, but Lavi made it pretty obvious last year how he values Rinaldo compared to the other fringe NHLers (Wellwood, Sestito, et al) - particuliarly in the playoffs.
I like Sestito better than Rinaldo but Rinaldo better than Wellwood. At least to play on the 4th line. You need those type of 4th liners out there. And Talbot should be on the 3rd line this season no matter what.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Sounds like Yandle is on the market again.

Schenn + for Yandle?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:09 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Trading one of the Schenns is pretty much out of the question at this point.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:28 PM
laundryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Sounds like Yandle is on the market again.

Schenn + for Yandle?
Schenn is the exact piece I would move to get Yandle, but no way the Flyers would do that having just acquired Luke.

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
Schenn is the exact piece I would move to get Yandle, but no way the Flyers would do that having just acquired Luke.
which is another reason why this jvr trade sucks so much. Oy are the schenn brothers going to be here in philly till they retire?

I like yandle but think we can go after a more dynamic d man in the next couple of years and would prefer not to tie up our cap with his contract.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Bojyea

Do we have any interest in someone like del zotto?? his cap hit isnt very large at the moment and with 20% of the rangers cap being taken up by 2 players....can they really afford to give him a large contract to match one if we offer?

Bojyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 08:45 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Pass on Del Zotto, and giving up anything of significance for Yandle.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 11:55 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Yandle is good, but not worth what it would take to get him I think. I'd rather pursue Kulikov or Edler.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Jack de la Hoya

canes fan suggested McBain for Matt Read.

McBain's stock has fallen a bit, but he is still young and RH.

Dunno.

EDIT: In a different thread, Read + 2nd for Rundblad was brought up. Dunno, might do that too.

I just don't see us resigning Read in two years, and I'm not sure how else this team is going to address its long-term needs on the blue line.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 01-12-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:54 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

Dunno.
Read is a valuable player. Not just because of what he does on the ice, but for what he gives you at a 900k price tag. He will be a commodity until his contract runs out next year. I know you have to give up something to get something, but I would hold on to Read this season. I imagine if Read has another productive season, it will be tough to fit him under the cap on his next contract. If that were the case, I would consider moving him after this season and try and acquire some assets.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Read is a valuable player. Not just because of what he does on the ice, but for what he gives you at a 900k price tag. He will be a commodity until his contract runs out next year. I know you have to give up something to get something, but I would hold on to Read this season. I imagine if Read has another productive season, it will be tough to fit him under the cap on his next contract. If that were the case, I would consider moving him after this season and try and acquire some assets.
But you would likely get less for him---since he would only come with that 900k for one season instead of two.

I'm not looking to dump him by any stretch, but if we can use him to get a good young defenseman, particularly a RH.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:06 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

Dunno.

EDIT: In a different thread, Read + 2nd for Rundblad was brought up. Dunno, might do that too.

I just don't see us resigning Read in two years, and I'm not sure how else this team is going to address its long-term needs on the blue line.
i like this much better but i'm also a big Rundblad fan (thats why i started the thread you were referring to).

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 02:10 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
But you would likely get less for him---since he would only come with that 900k for one season instead of two.

I'm not looking to dump him by any stretch, but if we can use him to get a good young defenseman, particularly a RH.
He's obviously more valuable now, but I think in a shortened season, the less change, the better. Read can pretty much fill any role. I think as we see teams scramble to get back under the cap next year, Read's value could see a bump even if only for one season. Although, it could very well be the Flyers in need of his cap hit next year.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
He's obviously more valuable now, but I think in a shortened season, the less change, the better. Read can pretty much fill any role. I think as we see teams scramble to get back under the cap next year, Read's value could see a bump even if only for one season. Although, it could very well be the Flyers in need of his cap hit next year.
That's a fair point.

On the other hand, young, cost-controlled defenseman will also be worth more, for the same reasons.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:26 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
That's a fair point.

On the other hand, young, cost-controlled defenseman will also be worth more, for the same reasons.
Well it comes down to need. A team like Phoenix needs forwards and a team like us needs defenseman.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Well it comes down to need. A team like Phoenix needs forwards and a team like us needs defenseman.
Which is why the deal makes sense, but I'm not sure how waiting another year helps? After all, PHX is one team that will not be scambling to get under the 64.3 cap next year.

Old
01-12-2013, 02:49 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Which is why the deal makes sense, but I'm not sure how waiting another year helps? After all, PHX is one team that will not be scambling to get under the 64.3 cap next year.
In that particular scenario it doesn't, but if you were dealing with a team that is going to be in cap trouble next year it makes some sense.

My point for keeping Read this season is he can fill pretty much any role. With the schedule jam packed, injuries are going to happen. Read can handle 1st, 2nd, or 3rd line minutes, PK, PP, he can play LW, RW, or even center. With Briere hurt, Read could fill in for him and there wouldn't be much drop off if any at all.

I'm sure Homer has something up his sleeve, so we shall see what will happen.