HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What Do Rangers Do With Wade Redden?

Old
01-10-2013, 08:54 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
If that's the case then Wade is more than welcome to not report and void his contract and go sign with those teams. Otherwise he can wait till the summer till he gets his buy out.
As the poster mentioned, not reporting isn't what Redden would do -- it would be a grievance filed on his behalf by the NHLPA, or going under the knife for a surgery which requires substantial recovery time.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2013, 09:11 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
But... that's the whole point of this entire thread, actually. Right there. That's why REDDEN IS A CONCERN. Just as Gomez is for the Habs.
he's not going to play.....

no play+no injury+bought out= no issue

simple math really

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:35 AM
TheGreatPenguino

Wait Wade Redden is still alive?

TheGreatPenguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatPenguino View Post
Wait Wade Redden is still alive?
Last known photograph.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:12 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Last known photograph.

Hahaha, has he gone through a sexchange too (Patty was a female Squatch)?

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:53 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Bob McKenzie took the time to break down the Wade Redden situation on TSN the other night and it was kind of surprising what he figured the Rangers will eventually do with him, so I thought I'd repost it here, as I see a lot of people posting prospective Rangers' rosters with Wade Redden listed in the AHL, which is actually, per Bob, unlikely to happen.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=413185

The one other option, not mentioned by Bob is trading Redden and absorbing some of his cap hit, but I don't think that's terribly enticing to the Rangers either.

So, for anyone putting together a roster for the Rangers this season, you're likely going to have to include Wade Redden's cap hit for the 2013 season.

I think there may be 1 other possibility not listed. Redden voluntarily retires.
It is plausbible enough that Redden is a former all star who is getting old with deteriorating skills. Say he says he thought it over and doesn't need to pursue NHL glory, and doesn't need to get injured in game action with 20 year olds. He voluntarily retires and walks away from his contract, thus voiding it.
In exchange, i.e., gratitude, not technically quid pro quo, Rangers give him contract to be consultant/tutor for same duration as his current year, and just so there is no issue as to him taking less, for $1 more than he is currently paid.

This can be actual job instead of stay at home.
Either way, Redden endears himself to Ranger fans a la Naslund by doing the right thing, given he can't properly earn his pay on his current player deal.

Any reason this does not work?
What legal basis etc would stop the voiding of Redden's deal in this scenario?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:59 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Gotta question; how can the Rangers just sit Redden? He's gotta count for a roster space somewhere, right? So either he's a scratch in the NHL (and takes up a roster spot there) or he's a scratch in the AHL (and takes up a roster spot there). So what happens if the Rangers get hit with an injury or two? They can't just remove Redden from the roster.

From my understanding they have 23 contracts not in the NHL, 13 forwards, 7 defensemen, 2 goaltenders and Wade Redden. That's 46 contracts. Meaning they have 4 open slots. They need to sign MDZ. So that's 3 open slots. Hope they don't get hit with too many injuries >.<

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:16 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
Now there's a guy who needs to be bubble wrapped
New York might not want to spend the money on buying him out... but they need to do it sometime... funny fact is that I don't think that he'll ever be healthy enough in the off-season for them to get away with it.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:33 AM
Crease

Brooksie with an update on the topic:

Quote:
It appears Wade Redden will sit out the season at home at the Rangers’ request in order to ensure he does not get hurt and thus jeopardize the planned postseason compliance buyout of the final year of his contract.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...ontent=Rangers

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:40 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
I think there may be 1 other possibility not listed. Redden voluntarily retires.
It is plausbible enough that Redden is a former all star who is getting old with deteriorating skills. Say he says he thought it over and doesn't need to pursue NHL glory, and doesn't need to get injured in game action with 20 year olds. He voluntarily retires and walks away from his contract, thus voiding it.
In exchange, i.e., gratitude, not technically quid pro quo, Rangers give him contract to be consultant/tutor for same duration as his current year, and just so there is no issue as to him taking less, for $1 more than he is currently paid.

This can be actual job instead of stay at home.
Either way, Redden endears himself to Ranger fans a la Naslund by doing the right thing, given he can't properly earn his pay on his current player deal.

Any reason this does not work?
What legal basis etc would stop the voiding of Redden's deal in this scenario?
I hate golden parachutes. The reason above all that Wade wound up in the AHL was he could no longer compete for a job at the NHL level. Some people think he's being hammered on--he's got the contract so he has the right to play. Sorry--this isn't about entitlements and he didn't have a NMC and a player still has to be good enough to make the team and Wade isn't good enough--he'd only make the team worse. The Rangers IMO have been very good to him--continuing to pay his colossal salary while he went through the motions of being an average + AHL defenseman. I don't see where he has much to complain about. He also has had opportunities to void his contract if he'd had chosen to try to hook up with another team. He would have lost a lot of money but maybe he would have reached at least his 1000th game (he's 6 short). IMO he wouldn't have lasted very long though.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:54 AM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Gotta feel bad for WR. I know he is getting paid big bucks and all. The Rangers sure screwed him around. I hope he gets back into the NHL at some point.
I don't feel sorry for someone raking it $6.5 million per year playing hockey. It's no different than someone being relocated to a remote area for work.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:54 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I hate golden parachutes. The reason above all that Wade wound up in the AHL was he could no longer compete for a job at the NHL level. Some people think he's being hammered on--he's got the contract so he has the right to play. Sorry--this isn't about entitlements and he didn't have a NMC and a player still has to be good enough to make the team and Wade isn't good enough--he'd only make the team worse. The Rangers IMO have been very good to him--continuing to pay his colossal salary while he went through the motions of being an average + AHL defenseman. I don't see where he has much to complain about. He also has had opportunities to void his contract if he'd had chosen to try to hook up with another team. He would have lost a lot of money but maybe he would have reached at least his 1000th game (he's 6 short). IMO he wouldn't have lasted very long though.
Agree he doesn't deserve what he's gotten, let alone a nickel more, let alone, a cushier alternative for a paycheck.

However, I am far more concerned with some way in which, by means of a clever legal loophole which would stick, we can avoid any construct where we get cap screwed.

Besides, they are now, I understand, telling him to just stay at home. Wouldn't it be better, for the same $$, both for Rangers and for Redden from a standpoint of his dignity, to have him show up as a non player tutor/consultant and at least actually get the benefit of his experience transferred to younger guys?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Last known photograph.

Bravo

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:45 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
New York might not want to spend the money on buying him out... but they need to do it sometime... funny fact is that I don't think that he'll ever be healthy enough in the off-season for them to get away with it.
Redden is healthy right now. There were no injuries when he left Hartford last May.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:49 AM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Quote:
Last known photograph.
???? ????
He left Hartford last year and was healthy so it should not be a problem
Wait - otoh - them hillbilly bigfoot hunters are killing the Squatches both here & there these days I hear... Might have to stay indoors wrapped in bubblewrap and put on a different jersey

Old
01-11-2013, 08:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Gotta question; how can the Rangers just sit Redden? He's gotta count for a roster space somewhere, right? So either he's a scratch in the NHL (and takes up a roster spot there) or he's a scratch in the AHL (and takes up a roster spot there). So what happens if the Rangers get hit with an injury or two? They can't just remove Redden from the roster.

From my understanding they have 23 contracts not in the NHL, 13 forwards, 7 defensemen, 2 goaltenders and Wade Redden. That's 46 contracts. Meaning they have 4 open slots. They need to sign MDZ. So that's 3 open slots. Hope they don't get hit with too many injuries >.<
What's changed from the last 2 years when Redden was on the AHL roster taking a roster spot and his SPC was part of the 50 SPC limit? Redden will be placed on waivers. He clears. His contract is assigned to the AHL. Rangers take the cap hit.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

simple math really
Ok, I thought you didn't get that, is all. I call it an "issue", but obviously not a harmful one.

Habs have to do the same with Gomez IMHO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:54 AM
BBKers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What's changed from the last 2 years when Redden was on the AHL roster taking a roster spot and his SPC was part of the 50 SPC limit? Redden will be placed on waivers. He clears. His contract is assigned to the AHL. Rangers take the cap hit.
So if he is waived but told to stay home he does not count against the 50 SPC limit? You sure (you usually are on the money)? If so that is good IMO

Old
01-11-2013, 09:05 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profet View Post
Yeah the Rangers sure screwed him by continuing to fill his wallet with undeserved money.

No one forced him to sign that contract.

If playing in the NHL is so important to him he can certainly offer to nullify the contract and try to sign a new one with another NHL team.

are you serious?

Are you telling me that if someone offered you an insane amount of money to do your dream job, you would decline?

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post

are you serious?

Are you telling me that if someone offered you an insane amount of money to do your dream job, you would decline?
We're not the only team that offered Wade that type of contract. And there are risks involved when you sign your name on the bottom-line.

If a company hires you to peform a certain job, and you're failing miserably at it, don't be surprised when they launch your ass.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:33 AM
Falconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

simple math really
I think you're wrong, his cap hit for this year does count towards the NYR cap. He cannot be sent to the minors anymore, as per the new CBA, and the buyouts aren't until the summer. Therefore it is a big problem for Sather.

Falconator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:33 AM
tony d
Ruffles in Space

I think they release him. Wouldn't mind Ottawa signing him in that case.

01-11-2013, 09:40 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
I think you're wrong, his cap hit for this year does count towards the NYR cap. He cannot be sent to the minors anymore, as per the new CBA, and the buyouts aren't until the summer. Therefore it is a big problem for Sather.
From my understanding the first 900k(or at least whatever that is prorated from 82 to 48 games) of his caphit won't count if they send him to the minors

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 09:48 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
So if he is waived but told to stay home he does not count against the 50 SPC limit? You sure (you usually are on the money)? If so that is good IMO
Redden's SPC counts toward the 50 SPC limit. Its not a big deal.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:48 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
Damn, I forgot about Redden and his atrocious contract.

How did he fall so far? I remember when he played on the Sens.
I remember him with the Wheat Kings... Such a long fall

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote