HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread #15 - Power failure at Super Bowl (Literally)

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 08:45 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
Official Bears/NFL Thread #15 - Power failure at Super Bowl (Literally)

You've gotta be kidding me...

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/1/1...ars-head-coach

Quote:
According to FOX Sports' Jimmy Johnson, the Chicago Bears have tapped Marc Trestman as their new head coach.

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 02-03-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old
01-11-2013, 09:22 AM
ndgt10

vCash: 500
Trestman? Lmao!

Old
01-11-2013, 09:34 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

Isn't he the CFL guy!? Ugh

Old
01-11-2013, 09:44 AM
Paul Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMenT View Post
Isn't he the CFL guy!? Ugh
Yes. He was the OC when Rich Gannon threw for 4600 yards and a super bowl. Apparently he's a good qb coach and cares about pass protection.

I just wonder who the dc will be

Old
01-11-2013, 09:53 AM
digdug41982

Well, the other guys seemed more appealing because they have been in the NFL. I don't watch any CFL so I don't know the differences but I just hope the guy isn't over his head in the NFL. He would certainly need to bring in a strong staff of current NFL coaches.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:11 AM
RayP

Well this gives me a little hope....

Quote:
A student of the West Coast offense, Trestman is renowned as a QB guru, guiding Rich Gannon, Scott Mitchell and Steve Young to career years. He also drew interest from the Cleveland Browns. The 56-year-old seems to be a good fit for Jay Cutler.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Illinihockey

Also this has been shot down by just about everyone. Trestman hasn't heard from the Bears since his initial interview.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:30 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Well, the other guys seemed more appealing because they have been in the NFL. I don't watch any CFL so I don't know the differences but I just hope the guy isn't over his head in the NFL. He would certainly need to bring in a strong staff of current NFL coaches.
He's an NFL coach who went up to the CFL. He's not a 'CFL guy' by any means, he just happened to coach there for a while. His resume shows he knows the NFL game well.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:33 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
He's an NFL coach who went up to the CFL. He's not a 'CFL guy' by any means, he just happened to coach there for a while. His resume shows he knows the NFL game well.
Yeah, I'm just saying things change quickly, the players, the schemes, it's vastly different now. If Emery feels he can adapt before Game 1 of his first season, I am sure he will though.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:40 AM
BK201

Quote:
CFL is good more offense oriented as there is only 3 downs.

This guy also every off season works with higher end QB draft picks before the combine. He even he even worked with Cutler in his draft year.

He won what 2 grey cups as a head coach in the CFL. He'll be a good coach dont worry.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm just saying things change quickly, the players, the schemes, it's vastly different now. If Emery feels he can adapt before Game 1 of his first season, I am sure he will though.
Lol you know nothing about this guy and are just not liking it.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Illinihockey

Guy has done incredible work with QB's in the past. I think he'll at least be a finalist for Emery.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:46 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

The more I think about it the more I'd be fine with him being the guy. I was high on McCoy but Tressman seems like just as good a fit for this team offensively.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:47 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Lol you know nothing about this guy and are just not liking it.
I never said I didn't like it and I was open about the fact I don't know anything about the CFL or his time there. I don't like that I don't know that but I do trust Emery and if this guy stacks up against the others, some of which I do like a lot, then that is enough for me. There is reason to be concerned about him coming back after being out so long but it's not a hurdle he can't overcome with preparation and a staff that knows the NFC well.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Recoil

Interesting if true, although I'd be shocked if Jimmy Johnson was the first one in on a scoop like this. He's not one of the usual guys with sources who break stories before everyone else, so color me suspicious until others start verifying it.

That said, I wouldn't be against him either. He seemed like an intriguing candidate.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
Interesting if true, although I'd be shocked if Jimmy Johnson was the first one in on a scoop like this. He's not one of the usual guys with sources who break stories before everyone else, so color me suspicious until others start verifying it.

That said, I wouldn't be against him either. He seemed like an intriguing candidate.
Well Trestman came up under Jimmy Johnson so its likely they are still friends. I think what happened is that his interview went really well and he told Jimmy Johnson he thinks hes getting the job and JJ ran with it.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:56 AM
BK201

Quote:
I never said I didn't like it and I was open about the fact I don't know anything about the CFL or his time there. I don't like that I don't know that but I do trust Emery and if this guy stacks up against the others, some of which I do like a lot, then that is enough for me. There is reason to be concerned about him coming back after being out so long but it's not a hurdle he can't overcome with preparation and a staff that knows the NFC well.
sorry but yeah it's not overly different if you were to watch it 99% of the time but there is the odd time that there are some weird rugby rules that can come into play and not even us Canadians know what's going on...

One major thing is the 3 downs, as you need to move those markers in 2 downs or punt on the 3rd, which also makes it easier on the defense harder on the offense. A lot of passing but not at a Tom Brady level although there has been some high level nfl players to play here and go into the nfl like a Cameron Wake In Miami off the top of my head.

Tsn article:

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=413290

However, CBS NFL Insider Jason La Canfora tweeted that a Trestman hiring is not final at this point.

"As to rumors of Bears hiring Trestman- Trestman has not heard from them since interview. Was not informed if would be a finalist," wrote La Canfora.

Last edited by BK201: 01-11-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old
01-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Not sure what to think of Trestman

Meh

Old
01-11-2013, 12:04 PM
digdug41982

Yeah, someone already made it official on wikipedia, lol.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:07 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

All over the radio that Trestman may be the guy. Interesting, I know nothing about him.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
All over the radio that Trestman may be the guy. Interesting, I know nothing about him.
Known as QB guru

Was Cutler , Tebow and other QB"s personel tutor leading up to drafts

He basically worked with them each for 3-4 months thru combines/offseason to prepare them for NFL

Is currently coach for Montreal (CFL) and I think won a few Grey Cups

Old
01-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Well Trestman came up under Jimmy Johnson so its likely they are still friends. I think what happened is that his interview went really well and he told Jimmy Johnson he thinks hes getting the job and JJ ran with it.
I think that's most likely as well.

Lots of backtracking now that apparently Trestman hasn't heard from the Bears at all, even that he's a finalist, etc. It's interesting given that Emery still has a few interviews on the books.

A Denver beat reporter said the McCoy interview didn't "go well" with Emery, yet another reporter said that McCoy was a favorite to go to Chicago (with Trestman being the #2) except that we may not want to wait for their playoff (potential Super Bowl) run to end, hence we may go with Trestman.

LOTS of conflicting reports out there.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:18 PM
HeisenBaez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
A Denver beat reporter said the McCoy interview didn't "go well" with Emery, yet another reporter said that McCoy was a favorite to go to Chicago (with Trestman being the #2) except that we may not want to wait for their playoff (potential Super Bowl) run to end, hence we may go with Trestman.
I don't get the rush. I mean the Bears search has reach 13 guys, and yet the Bears want to make a choice soon? Seems contradictory to me. If Testman is the guy, fine, but don't let it be because he's available right now.

I'm ok with Trestman but he wouldn't be my first choice, as I prefer McCoy.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:20 PM
digdug41982

Agreed, Trestman will be there after the Super Bowl.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Known as QB guru

Was Cutler , Tebow and other QB"s personel tutor leading up to drafts

He basically worked with them each for 3-4 months thru combines/offseason to prepare them for NFL

Is currently coach for Montreal (CFL) and I think won a few Grey Cups
He was also the offensive coordinator for the Raiders when they went to the Super Bowl in 2002 and Gannon was QB and won MVP that year. He was raving about him today on the radio with Waddle and Silvy. Raiders led NFL in total offense and passing yards per game that year.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
He was also the offensive coordinator for the Raiders when they went to the Super Bowl in 2002 and Gannon was QB and won MVP that year. He was raving about him today on the radio with Waddle and Silvy. Raiders led NFL in total offense and passing yards per game that year.
He ran Gruden's system ,, Did it well except for one minor issue he and rest of Raiders coaches didn't think about

When they went up against Gruden it was embarrassment for entire Raiders coaching staff

Not gonna hold that against him he took successful system and ran with it and did well but in end it was laughable how Jon Gruden prepared the Bucs for SB

Gruden scripted how the Raiders offense would go ,, Buc defenders were laughing on sidelines about it thru game laughing "This is just like practice"

Gruden himself played role of Gannon in practice

Closed Thread