HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Islanders vs Bruins, 1980 Quaterfinals

Old
01-11-2013, 09:48 AM
vadnais1972

vCash: 500
Islanders vs Bruins, 1980 Quaterfinals

I was talking to some relatives over the holidays who live in Philly and we were reminiscing about the 1974 Flyers-Bruins Stanley Cup Finals. I went to every game in Boston for that series, and still vividly remember Bobby Clarke scoring in OT in game 2. To me (and most Flyers fans) this goes down as one of the biggest goals in Flyers history giving the Flyers home ice advantage and more importantly, giving them a ton of confidence.

Moving ahead six years later, Im wondering how do Islander fans look back at those first 2 games of the 1980 quaterfinals? The Isles were coming of 2 disappointing playoffs, losing to the Leafs in 78 and the Rangers in 79. Both games (in Boston) went into OT with the Isles winning both. We all know that the Islanders had the better team that year. Maybe not in regular season points but Boston was an aging team that was about to have a couple of down seasons. And this was the start of the Isles dynasty years. But one lucky bounce here or there and the Bruins head back to Long Island up 2-0. Are these 2 OT goals (by Gillies and Bourne) looked at the same way as the Clarke goal in 1974?

vadnais1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:50 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
Stack Shot Billy

A little off topic, I just watched the documentary on the Broadstreet Bullies and Clarke's OT goal is talked about. How Shero saw a sign or heard and fan say 'put Schultz on so we can score.' Then Schultz makes that beautiful pass to Clarke.

LeBlondeDemon10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Big Phil

I think it was Game 2 where there was one of the meanest bench clearing brawls I've ever seen. Cashman gets sucker punched by Howatt in the meelee and Cashman ends up getting the best of him at the end. I would think the 1980 final between the Isles and Flyers was more or less the same thing as Clarke's OT goal in 1974. Game 6 especially. The reason being is that the Isles let a 4-2 third period lead slip away and had to play overtime. What gets forgotten is that if the Isles lost in overtime there is Game 6 in Philly. These were still in many ways the Broad Street Bullies and the Spectrum was quite an overwhelming place even though the Isles won there once in the series already. However, that 1980 Flyers team set the record with a 35 game unbeaten streak that still stands. I wouldn't have wanted to play them in their own barn for Game 7

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I think it was Game 2 where there was one of the meanest bench clearing brawls I've ever seen. Cashman gets sucker punched by Howatt in the meelee and Cashman ends up getting the best of him at the end. I would think the 1980 final between the Isles and Flyers was more or less the same thing as Clarke's OT goal in 1974. Game 6 especially. The reason being is that the Isles let a 4-2 third period lead slip away and had to play overtime. What gets forgotten is that if the Isles lost in overtime there is Game 6 in Philly. These were still in many ways the Broad Street Bullies and the Spectrum was quite an overwhelming place even though the Isles won there once in the series already. However, that 1980 Flyers team set the record with a 35 game unbeaten streak that still stands. I wouldn't have wanted to play them in their own barn for Game 7
Yeah, Cash was getting hammered but there was nobody to break it up beacuse of the other fights. Howatt punched himself out and the old man made him pay.

I think Secord started the whole thing by going after Gord Lane.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:16 PM
vadnais1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
NY was in big trouble if they lost game 6. Philly had a great team that season, finishing 1st overall and were very tough at the Spectrum. Obviously that Nystrom goal was HUGE. Not saying the Isles had no chance if they lost game 6 but it would have been very, very difficult.

Also, I just realized that the Islanders went 6-1 in OT that playoff. Impressive.

vadnais1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2013, 06:54 AM
ot92s

here's a pretty thourough series of highlights from game two...

there's several parts in the series, they start here...

ot92s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:51 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadnais1972 View Post
I was talking to some relatives over the holidays who live in Philly and we were reminiscing about the 1974 Flyers-Bruins Stanley Cup Finals. I went to every game in Boston for that series, and still vividly remember Bobby Clarke scoring in OT in game 2. To me (and most Flyers fans) this goes down as one of the biggest goals in Flyers history giving the Flyers home ice advantage and more importantly, giving them a ton of confidence.

Moving ahead six years later, Im wondering how do Islander fans look back at those first 2 games of the 1980 quaterfinals? The Isles were coming of 2 disappointing playoffs, losing to the Leafs in 78 and the Rangers in 79. Both games (in Boston) went into OT with the Isles winning both. We all know that the Islanders had the better team that year. Maybe not in regular season points but Boston was an aging team that was about to have a couple of down seasons. And this was the start of the Isles dynasty years. But one lucky bounce here or there and the Bruins head back to Long Island up 2-0. Are these 2 OT goals (by Gillies and Bourne) looked at the same way as the Clarke goal in 1974?
Unfortunately not looked at the same as the Clarke goal by most. In some ways those goals were the springboard for the Islander cups. Most fans remember the brawls but the OT goals helped the Isles get their confidence back after losing to the Maple Leafs in overtime in Game 7 in 1978.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:04 AM
War Admiral

Quote:
NY was in big trouble if they lost game 6. Philly had a great team that season, finishing 1st overall and were very tough at the Spectrum. Obviously that Nystrom goal was HUGE. Not saying the Isles had no chance if they lost game 6 but it would have been very, very difficult.

Also, I just realized that the Islanders went 6-1 in OT that playoff. Impressive.
Denis Potvin has documented on countless occassions how the Islanders knew they were going to win once the game went into OT. They were that confident that they could win any game that entered overtime.

War Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:23 AM
blamebettman*

Quote:

Look at the Isles all time playoff OT record up until 1994 or so...it's off the charts amazing.

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote