HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

2013 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-10-2013, 11:13 PM
  #826
LKF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Tiger i have been paying for my boys to play under the CHL umbrella since they were 5.
I think there is a big difference. This is still minor hockey not NCAA or OHL. The family moved here for hockey. Funny that Canadian kids can't leave there home centres like the OMHA because they want to because they have to follow certain rules. Its MINOR HOCKEY. How is it Yakapov can leave the CHL to play pro in Europe when Strome has to stay in the CHL? If you don't think the system is broken we again disagree. If we want to let them come to the greatest development league then when the world juniors come around let them play for Canada. Team USA had a Russian this year, very interesting.

LKF is offline  
Old
01-10-2013, 11:31 PM
  #827
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowswhattowatch View Post
Tiger i have been paying for my boys to play under the CHL umbrella since they were 5.
I think there is a big difference. This is still minor hockey not NCAA or OHL.
Then why are you talking about taking away scholarship money from Ontario boys?


Quote:
Originally Posted by knowswhattowatch View Post
The family moved here for hockey. Funny that Canadian kids can't leave there home centres like the OMHA because they want to because they have to follow certain rules. Its MINOR HOCKEY.
He moved, thats exactly right. If you want to move your son another region, do what he did, move. Sounds fair no?


Quote:
Originally Posted by knowswhattowatch View Post
How is it Yakapov can leave the CHL to play pro in Europe when Strome has to stay in the CHL?
Strome doesn't 'have' to stay in the CHL. He can play in Europe just like anyone else. He chose not to. The only limit that Strome has is that he can not play in the AHL. Had Ryan wanted to, he could have played in Europe. He's under the same restrictions as Yakupov is/was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowswhattowatch View Post
Team USA had a Russian this year, very interesting.
Galchenyuk was born in Milwaukee. He considers himself an American. Tyler Myers played in Texas, but now plays for Team Canada. Jamie Oleksiak the same. Sean Day wants to play for Canada, is a citizen, but has never played a season under Hockey Canada's umbrella. Its a two way street.

What Taxes go to the development of Korostelev? You didn't clear that up for me. He pays his way...

How many Ontario boys are in US Prep Schools? Its a significant amount. Should we take that away from them? They pay their way and earn US scholarships. Should they be kicked out because that are from Ontario?

Back on the scholarship question. If we cut off US kids to the CHL and they cut off Canadian boys in the NCAA, who do you think looses that one? Its the Canadian boys, by a country mile.


Last edited by Tigers1992: 01-10-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Tigers1992 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 12:41 AM
  #828
LKF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
The scholarship question is if he applies which I believe he has to go in the draft with North american born players, he will affect someone. Someone will not receive the $. Why not stay in the European draft?
Move, ha good one, you obviously have not tried to move for hockey in Ontario. Ask Rapp from Halton who wanted to play in the GTHL and was denied every appeal. He had to stay in Halton, if he moved it was deemed a hockey move. Not allowed.
I will check on the Strome situation, but I thought he was still under contract with his OHL and was not allowed to go to Europe. I could be wrong if so you just educated me.
Cheers

LKF is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 12:44 AM
  #829
lovethegame
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
intersting on what seemingly has happend two two goalies not mentioned above. menary on colts and richardson on marlies. menary has been top goaie in G for a while and richardson top from the ETA also for years. they both switched leagues this year and seem to be not getting any mention. its like their 'new'. both have had very solid seasons. menary was excellent at marlie tourney getting colts to semis with fantastic OT win over Chiefs and richardson was responsible for getting marlies out of the round robin at silver stick and played all 7 games with 3 shut outs. both have impecible records in league with solid stats all round and i think richardson lost his only game of the whole year in marlie tourney to rebels and menary has just lost 3 or 4.

lovethegame is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 12:50 AM
  #830
LKF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Menary is excellent. Always played on mid pack teams in the G and rec'd lots of credibility as a very good backstop. He should have stayed in the G. Unfortunately whenever you play for a team like the Marlies the goalies don't get there dues because the team in front of them is deemed so good. Maybe thats why Herbst left the Marlies and went to the Rebels in Bantam. He received tons of credit for making a good Rebel team even better.

LKF is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 01:21 AM
  #831
lovethegame
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5
vCash: 500
menary had little choice due to release issue but it has worked out very well in the end. richardson played mid end teams in O with great success. from this seasons perspective menary is doing very well on an already top defensive team in the O and makes them force come playoff time and richardson has been a key contributor to a much weaker marlie team than usual. all year marlies have been shot down for shallow depth, underperfance and short bench with having to sign 2 AA defencmen. they would not be in first or have won a tourney without the addition of richardson.
both are deserving of credit for their teams success and I hope they both get a close look in playoffs as both teams will have lots of opporunity to get to the big games if they continue playing as well as they are.

lovethegame is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 08:29 AM
  #832
capswon
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Good to hear Menary is doing well. My son played with him on the East Coast Selects 97 good kid and fundamentally sound. In the Marlies tourny two years ago my son's team the Phila.Junior Flyers absoulutely peppered him and he stood on his head. Menary lost I think 5-4 or something like that but easily could have been 10 or 11-4. Will be a good addition to any team.

capswon is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 08:30 AM
  #833
Pulp Fiction
RIP Wade Belak
 
Pulp Fiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Grabo's Pineapple
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Hey that may be a stretch, but trust me, if the kid grows to the size of his brother - 6'2", he will be a force. Even if he can get to 6', he will be a playmaking force.

He will play Junior A next year most likely, and will then join the OHL in his 2nd year, and WATCH OUT.

Remember the name, MITCH MARNER. You heard it from me first.
Why, do people not think he's going just because of his size?

He's far and away the best player I've seen in the G this year. I don't know how his game or his size will match up to the O, I'm not a scout, I just go to a load of GTHL games, and marner in my opinion is the best player in the league.

Pulp Fiction is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 09:33 AM
  #834
skating101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
You didnt read my post, or didnt understand it. I said any game, any game is a one off, and cant be looked with value. Look at my quotes. The GTHL All Star game, as a one of, has little value. The All State game, as a one of, has little value. Chesswood games on Sunday, as a one off, has little value. 15 year old kids have off nights. If we judged them off of a single game, how fair would that be?
All star type games can be very beneficial it depends what you are looking for.

I am not going to write off someone because they had a bad game or going to select someone first overall because they got a hat trick.

But I do look for standouts on skating, skill sets, decision making etc.. Separating yourself in these type of games situations is a hard thing to do amongst talent peers with limited equal ice time.

skating101 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 09:58 AM
  #835
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
All star type games can be very beneficial it depends what you are looking for.

I am not going to write off someone because they had a bad game or going to select someone first overall because they got a hat trick.

But I do look for standouts on skating, skill sets, decision making etc.. Separating yourself in these type of games situations is a hard thing to do amongst talent peers with limited equal ice time.
Right, but my point was that you can see that in any game. Never, never base the strength or weakness of a player based off of a single viewing, which is what the above poster was doing. You need to see players multiple times in multiple situations before you can get a read on what they are or are not.

To say 'x team beat y team, therefore x is better' is foolhardy when looking at a single game. Its even more innacurate when saying 'this age group is positive or negative' based off of a single All Star game in July.

The best way to assess that, is to simply watch these teams over the course of a year. Thats how you find out who is the best and where the depth of an age group comes from. You can't see that in a single tourament game in Dec, simply doesn't work that way.

Tigers1992 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 10:25 AM
  #836
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
Why, do people not think he's going just because of his size?

He's far and away the best player I've seen in the G this year. I don't know how his game or his size will match up to the O, I'm not a scout, I just go to a load of GTHL games, and marner in my opinion is the best player in the league.

Thanks for the support Pulp Fiction.

MAPLELEAF979 , ARE YOU LISTENING???

chewerjones is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 10:31 AM
  #837
skating101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Right, but my point was that you can see that in any game. Never, never base the strength or weakness of a player based off of a single viewing, which is what the above poster was doing. You need to see players multiple times in multiple situations before you can get a read on what they are or are not.

To say 'x team beat y team, therefore x is better' is foolhardy when looking at a single game. Its even more innacurate when saying 'this age group is positive or negative' based off of a single All Star game in July.

The best way to assess that, is to simply watch these teams over the course of a year. Thats how you find out who is the best and where the depth of an age group comes from. You can't see that in a single tourament game in Dec, simply doesn't work that way.
Totally agree the only way to assess is over the course of a year.

Thought to share my beneficial view of an all-star game

skating101 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 10:39 AM
  #838
Tigers1992
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
Totally agree the only way to assess is over the course of a year.

Thought to share my beneficial view of an all-star game
Understood.

My issue was the 'McDavid only scored one goal at the All State game, therefore the 97 age group is great' retoric was so flawed that I needed to comment on it.

If people take something out of an all star game, cool, just don't make that single game the basis of your entire argument.

Tigers1992 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 11:28 AM
  #839
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethegame View Post
intersting on what seemingly has happend two two goalies not mentioned above. menary on colts and richardson on marlies. menary has been top goaie in G for a while and richardson top from the ETA also for years. they both switched leagues this year and seem to be not getting any mention. its like their 'new'. both have had very solid seasons. menary was excellent at marlie tourney getting colts to semis with fantastic OT win over Chiefs and richardson was responsible for getting marlies out of the round robin at silver stick and played all 7 games with 3 shut outs. both have impecible records in league with solid stats all round and i think richardson lost his only game of the whole year in marlie tourney to rebels and menary has just lost 3 or 4.
Ive mentioned Tyler Richardson. He is getting noticed, trust me. He is on the smaller side, but he is an excellent goalie in the GTHL and should have been on the GTHL prospects teams. This thread doesnt mention alot of guys. Jordan Maclean doesnt get mentioned often either. Ive seen him single handed win games from the backend on the Marlies, skating the puck out, blocking shots, pinning guys, taking the hit and not sending a grenade to a team-mate, he has played great. Isaak Iacobucci or MCConnaugh doesnt get mentioned alot. Either does the JRC second line of Mucci, Sharipov and Lawrence. Thats an excellent line in the G. It doesnt mean they are getting ignored by scouts.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 12:17 PM
  #840
skating101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Interesting weekend ahead!

The 97AAA Oakville Rangers travel to Detroit this weekend to play two exhibition showcase games against U16 Detroit Compuware and Sean Day. Anyone down that way would love to read some game reports.

Saturday night at Westwood features 4 GTHL MM league games biggest is the Rebels vs Marlboros “in the battle for 1st”

skating101 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 12:27 PM
  #841
Luvtowatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
Why, do people not think he's going just because of his size?

He's far and away the best player I've seen in the G this year. I don't know how his game or his size will match up to the O, I'm not a scout, I just go to a load of GTHL games, and marner in my opinion is the best player in the league.
He's very good, I believe he will go in the top 50 picks. He's not Dylan Strome. Sorry bro.

Luvtowatch is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 12:31 PM
  #842
mapleleaf979
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
Interesting weekend ahead!

The 97AAA Oakville Rangers travel to Detroit this weekend to play two exhibition showcase games against U16 Detroit Compuware and Sean Day. Anyone down that way would love to read some game reports.

Saturday night at Westwood features 4 GTHL MM league games biggest is the Rebels vs Marlboros “in the battle for 1st”
Yes I wish those games were televised. Id love to see Compuware again this year. If they came up here, I am pretty sure the building would be packed to see Compuware. Compuware vs Oakville should be an amazing couple of games.

Day is a joy to watch. Brendan Warren also on Compuware is impressive. Forechecks with conviction, skates well, nice hands. He reminds me very, very much of Sam Bennett. Warren should be picked in the #7-11 spot if he comes to the OHL.

That Rebels vs Marlboro game Ill be there, It should be a good one. No one on either team has an excuse to not give 100% in this game, unless injured. Lots to play for.

mapleleaf979 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 01:01 PM
  #843
skating101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Yes I wish those games were televised. Id love to see Compuware again this year. If they came up here, I am pretty sure the building would be packed to see Compuware. Compuware vs Oakville should be an amazing couple of games.

Day is a joy to watch. Brendan Warren also on Compuware is impressive. Forechecks with conviction, skates well, nice hands. He reminds me very, very much of Sam Bennett. Warren should be picked in the #7-11 spot if he comes to the OHL.

That Rebels vs Marlboro game Ill be there, It should be a good one. No one on either team has an excuse to not give 100% in this game, unless injured. Lots to play for.
Should be a full house have some interesting Midget games too Nats vs Rangers should be good one.

skating101 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 01:18 PM
  #844
wingman22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
Should be a full house have some interesting Midget games too Nats vs Rangers should be good one.
Is it true tha Fregona out with a wrist injury ? If so, Marlies are in trouble. They are usually badly outcoached against the Rebels who have shut both Strome and Stephens down throughout the last two games.
Richardson maybe the difference with Latinovic out of the Line-Up. If Marlies dont score first they are in for a long night. Should be a war ! Looking forward to it.
7 forwards for Marlies "Ouch" 98's in Silverstick.

wingman22 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 02:05 PM
  #845
skating101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman22 View Post
Is it true tha Fregona out with a wrist injury ? If so, Marlies are in trouble. They are usually badly outcoached against the Rebels who have shut both Strome and Stephens down throughout the last two games.
Richardson maybe the difference with Latinovic out of the Line-Up. If Marlies dont score first they are in for a long night. Should be a war ! Looking forward to it.
7 forwards for Marlies "Ouch" 98's in Silverstick.
Don't know any particulars on a Fregona injury is that why he did not participate in the GTHL prospect game?

The 98 Marlboros are indeed in Port Hurron.

skating101 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 02:36 PM
  #846
PanthersFan1980
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Its a good thing he didnt come to play in the GTHL. He plays with kids as old as 21. He would damage kids career's. He is built like a MAN. Thats one reason he played Junior B as a 13-14 yr old. 6-2 215 and chiseled, no baby fat, muscle. Rare physical specimen.
Guess that's a good way for him to prepare for the O. I think if day doesn't get ES, kirwan is our man!

PanthersFan1980 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 03:09 PM
  #847
Garyboy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Its a good thing he didnt come to play in the GTHL. He plays with kids as old as 21. He would damage kids career's. He is built like a MAN. Thats one reason he played Junior B as a 13-14 yr old. 6-2 215 and chiseled, no baby fat, muscle. Rare physical specimen.
Not trying to sound creepy here, but have you seen him topless? 6'2 215lbs chiseled at 15 years old? That sounds like he has a myostatin deficiency aka freak of nature (in a good way). Granted he's not all upper-body, he should be able to be an impact power forward in the OHL right off the hop.

Garyboy is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 03:27 PM
  #848
skating101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Not trying to sound creepy here, but have you seen him topless? 6'2 215lbs chiseled at 15 years old? That sounds like he has a myostatin deficiency aka freak of nature (in a good way). Granted he's not all upper-body, he should be able to be an impact power forward in the OHL right off the hop.
Not sure where MapleLeaf is getting his info? been 10 months since I have watched Kirwan yes heís big, chiseled i dont know, but he needed work on his foot speed.

Great Kid on and off the ice but sorry I have Zach Werenski as the canít miss 97 south of the board.

skating101 is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 03:31 PM
  #849
chewerjones
Registered User
 
chewerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
He's very good, I believe he will go in the top 50 picks. He's not Dylan Strome. Sorry bro.
Has better hands, skill and skating ability then Strome. Only thing he doesnt have, is a familiar last name, and doesnt play for the Marlies.

chewerjones is offline  
Old
01-11-2013, 03:45 PM
  #850
PanthersFan1980
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skating101 View Post
Not sure where MapleLeaf is getting his info? been 10 months since I have watched Kirwan yes heís big, chiseled i dont know, but he needed work on his foot speed.

Great Kid on and off the ice but sorry I have Zach Werenski as the canít miss 97 south of the board.
Needs to work on foot speed? I understand everyone can get faster but he's one of the fastest kids I've seen in this age group

PanthersFan1980 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.