HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: We'll Have A Gay Old Time

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Omnomnomnom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Ya I believe that was him.

I wasn't a big fan of him this season, even if he had some nice returns.

His hands were garbage and he never showed much out of the backfield.
Probably explains the short leash. I wonder if he would have been cut if he was caught smoking dope or got a DUI?

Old
01-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Shockmaster

Ed Bouchette speculated that the Steelers would allow Foster and Starks to test free agency, and also cut Colon. He then speculated that the Steelers starting offensive line next season would be Gilbert at LG, Beachum at LG, Pouncey at C, DeCastro at RG, and Adams at RT.

I know it's only speculation, but if this is true then the Steelers look like a bunch of hypocritical ****** bags. Last season they went off about how Ben needs to be better protected, and now they might end up starting some ham-and-egger like Beachum at LG.

They need to stop spending money on old guys on defense that turn into be dead weight and start putting the money into protecting their $102 million dollar franchise QB.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:16 PM
sniugneP

That's just a speculation by Bouchette. I don't like having 2 inexperienced starters at guard position. Thats a huge mistake. It doesn't make easier for Pouncey and Ben.

It would help this line a lot if we draft Warmack if we're lucky.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
That's just a speculation by Bouchette. I don't like having 2 inexperienced starters at guard position. It would make a lot easier if we draft Warmack.
I know it's just speculation on Bouchette's part (he insisted Hines would remain with the team in 2012 right up until the moment the Steelers actually cut him). But it's not uncommon of the Steelers to sacrifice offense in favor of defense. That's where my worries are.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:47 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Certainly seems like the 1st round is deep with NT's. I've seen Jesse Williams from Alabama and John Jenkins from Georgia mocked to us as well.
They've got horrible conditioning problems.

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
01-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by End of Line View Post
They've got horrible conditioning problems.
Interesting.

The only knocks I've heard about Jesse Williams is he lacks pass rushing skills. He certainly doesn't look a mess physically like Terrance Cody did coming out. He's incredibly strong. Seen people say he benches over 600 LBS and I actually think he looks in good shape for his size. He's Australian and played a lot of rugby growing up like Ngata. Not saying he'll be anywhere near as good as Ngata but still.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:30 PM
End of Line
Human After All

Quote:
Interesting.

The only knocks I've heard about Jesse Williams is he lacks pass rushing skills. He certainly doesn't look a mess physically like Terrance Cody did coming out. He's incredibly strong. Seen people say he benches over 600 LBS and I actually think he looks in good shape for his size. He's Australian and played a lot of rugby growing up like Ngata. Not saying he'll be anywhere near as good as Ngata but still.
Well, during the SECCG, these guy's gas tanks seemed to be on empty damn near every play. I just don't like having guys who are 350/360+. Hankins was around that last year but dropped 30 pounds and is playing around 322, and is a fast 322. He chases rb's down on screen plays...

Old
01-10-2013, 06:42 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

IIRC Williams was mostly laboring around in the SECCG because he injured his knee. He is listed at 320 by almost every place I've checked. Then again, Casey Hampton claims to be much lighter than we all know he is too.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:45 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Ed Bouchette speculated that the Steelers would allow Foster and Starks to test free agency, and also cut Colon. He then speculated that the Steelers starting offensive line next season would be Gilbert at LG, Beachum at LG, Pouncey at C, DeCastro at RG, and Adams at RT.

I know it's only speculation, but if this is true then the Steelers look like a bunch of hypocritical ****** bags. Last season they went off about how Ben needs to be better protected, and now they might end up starting some ham-and-egger like Beachum at LG.

They need to stop spending money on old guys on defense that turn into be dead weight and start putting the money into protecting their $102 million dollar franchise QB.
While I don't think Beachum is a star, he was better at RT than Adams was.

The scariest part of that line to me is the idea that Gilbert and Adams would be the starters.

Gilbert has dressed for 19 of a possible 32 games, starting 18/32 in his 2 seasons. Adams, dressed 10/16, started 6/16.

Makes zero sense they gave Starks huge money all those seasons, to sit him on the bench. Then, while he's getting up their in age, following a seasons he played every offensive snap and gave up 3.5 sacks, they'll let him walk.

Quote:
That's just a speculation by Bouchette. I don't like having 2 inexperienced starters at guard position. Thats a huge mistake. It doesn't make easier for Pouncey and Ben.

It would help this line a lot if we draft Warmack if we're lucky.
So the solution to not having last year's #1 pick (and, universally, best G in the draft) and another 2nd year player who proved to be at least solid in the games he was forced to play, is to get an even younger, less experienced player?

This isn't to suggest Warmack will be terrible...but that logic doesn't flow.

I don't think Foster gets much interest, and most likely is back. And DeCastro was drafted in the first round to start in that spot for the next 10 years. If he's a bust, you need to learn that by playing him.

Quote:
Interesting.

I don't see NT as a 1st round need. I mean, if it's truly the BPA at #17, and the Steelers go that direction, OK.

If Keenan Lewis walks, DB is a much bigger need. You are two CBs deep and have 2 S over the age of 30.

NT has McLendon, who was the talk of camp, but then couldn't see the field. Factor in too, a space eating NT to allow the ILBs to flow to the ball isn't nearly as important anymore. A pass rushing DT is more important than a run stuffing DT now.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:52 PM
JTG

There's absolutely no reason for any guy, barring one who is 6'7 or 6'8 to carry about 360 lbs. And even for a 6'8 guy 360 lbs is just completely excessive.

If we picked a nose, and he was around the 350 mark, the first thing I'd do is put him on a diet to lose 30-35 lbs. You only need to be around 320 to be a high effective nose guard in the NFL.

In terms of Rainey, I wasn't terribly impressed with him. He will never get big or strong enough to run between tackles. He falls easier than Parker ever did. He could be a good player in this league, but I'm not seeing the Sproles comparison. Sproles can run the ball, even if it's not his strong suit. Rainey is probably a better slot guy, but his hands aren't all they were cracked up to be, IMO. Not a huge loss, IMO.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Ike and Cortez can be solid starters. They'd just have to find a decent #3 CB somewhere. I think it's a need but more of a mid-round need unless the value is too good to pass up. The same for safety. I think they'll take one somewhere between rounds 2-4. Probably will be an ILB and OLB taken in the top 4 rounds too and a speedy WR/KR late in the draft.

The round one pick is about as unpredictable as I can remember. I have no idea where they'll go with it. I can see any number of positions picked there.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, I checked on Jenkins and he is listed at 358. Good lord.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:00 PM
JTG

Quote:
Yeah, I checked on Jenkins and he is listed at 358. Good lord.
That's just sloppy fat. I don't care how many ****in reps he does, or what his splits are, or what his vertical is. He's ****in fat.

Old
01-10-2013, 07:16 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Ike and Cortez can be solid starters. They'd just have to find a decent #3 CB somewhere. I think it's a need but more of a mid-round need unless the value is too good to pass up. The same for safety. I think they'll take one somewhere between rounds 2-4. Probably will be an ILB and OLB taken in the top 4 rounds too and a speedy WR/KR late in the draft.

The round one pick is about as unpredictable as I can remember. I have no idea where they'll go with it. I can see any number of positions picked there.
I think CB is a huge need if Lewis leaves.

I agree about Ike and Cortez. But after those two? Curtis Brown was a disaster. Then your choice of Victorian, Van Dyke, and then whoever they found on the scrap heap like Justin King.

And I don't think you can say, find a decent #3. Your #3 needs to be starter quality now.

And saying it's a mid round choice, that's exactly what Curtis Brown was (although you can argue, that's also what Ike, Keenan Lewis and Cortez Allen were, too).

Agree about round 1. Outside of QB or TE, nothing off limits.

But I'd put DB/CB/S, OLB, and WR as the top needs.

If they can keep Lewis, I'd still not be opposed to a S (if the guy carries a round 1 grade) that early.

OLB...Harrison, if he's back next season, is on his last year. Woodley has been a major disappointment since getting paid. Worilds had his best year yet, but I don't want him starting.

WR...assuming Wallace is gone, I'm OK with Brown, Sanders, Cotchery as the top 3. But would like to see maybe in the middle of the 2nd round a speed guy who can return punts and kicks, be the 3rd/4th option, and eventually challenge Sanders as the starter.

Big key for me on all 3 of those positions - guys to cover, guys to rush the QB, and guys to stretch the field on offense. It's a passing league now. Those positions are more important, IMO

Old
01-10-2013, 08:03 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post

So the solution to not having last year's #1 pick (and, universally, best G in the draft) and another 2nd year player who proved to be at least solid in the games he was forced to play, is to get an even younger, less experienced player?

This isn't to suggest Warmack will be terrible...but that logic doesn't flow.

I don't think Foster gets much interest, and most likely is back. And DeCastro was drafted in the first round to start in that spot for the next 10 years. If he's a bust, you need to learn that by playing him.
I agree with DeCastro should be a starter for next season but still don't like to put Beachum in for other guard position. Warmack would solve a problem instantly. Scouts said he is most ready NFL offensive lineman prospect. I'm confident he will do fine in rookie season. Beachum moving to guard won't happen, like I said, it's just a speculation.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:07 PM
sniugneP

I think Lewis will stay here as Steeler. Even if they don't sign him, they may put franchise tag on him.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:49 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

^ Hope your right about Lewis, sniugneP.

I think the Steelers will cut bait with Colon if Foster will re-sign at a decent rate. Colon will be kept around if Foster won't re-sign at a price of their liking.

I really don't think they want to spend another 1st on a guard. Although Warmack will be mighty tempting if he's still there at 17. I think the Steelers are hoping he won't be and that allows a pass rusher or another position of need to fall down the board to them.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:15 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
I think Lewis will stay here as Steeler. Even if they don't sign him, they may put franchise tag on him.
Franchise tag for CB is $10m+.

For a team that will already need to make cuts and restructure deals to get compliant, I can't see adding another $10m to complicate matters.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

They could franchise Lewis and then negotiate an extension that would lessen the cap number. Although the risk is that he won't sign an extension and you get stuck with that huge cap number and he's not exactly a guy that teams will ring your phone off the hook trying to trade for. Funny thing is that Wallace is a guy they can probably franchise, not be able to work out a long-term deal with and a team will still probably trade for him but I don't think the Steelers will do that.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Browns hire Rob Chudzinski (Carolina Panthers OC) as their HC.

Old
01-11-2013, 03:09 AM
Bennett Brauer

How many years are they going to give him to make the Browns a Super Bowl contender, 2?

Old
01-11-2013, 05:40 AM
JTG

If he's lucky. The way to win a Super Bowl is to constantly turn over a regime.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:00 AM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
If he's lucky. The way to win a Super Bowl is to constantly turn over a regime.
Dont forget using every couple first round picks on a Quarterback.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
No Pittsburgh Riverhounds in the first post. I am dissapoint.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:27 PM
ericfg

Rainey cut

So Rainey allegedly beats up his gf a day or two ago and gets busted for it and thrown in the clink. A day or two later he gets cut by the team: http://pittsburghsportsdailybulletin...9&e=1b32875810
I certainly do not condone domestic violence in the least, and I would not want a player convicted of said crime on The Steelers but...
Isn't he innocent until proven otherwise? I'm down with 'we run a squeaky clean organization and we have zero tolerance'. That's fine. And also so very PC. But what if it's a crazy woman just lieing through her teeth to get back it him for some imagined slight? The dude just gets cut, and maybe his NFL career is over? Not that I care much about the guy in question I hasten to add. A good return man and that's about it.

Closed Thread