HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumor and Proposal Thread Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 04:16 PM
bucks_oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
Lol what. When is gormley, still a prospect. Worth a 50 point scorer, regular NHL center and right handed and a first ( which who knows could still be worth top 5)
Exactly!

I'd start (and almost end) with PRV.

It's amazing how staying in the AHL can raise one's value, while treading water in the big show depresses it. Just silly...

and for those who say we've ruined PRV and ruined Gags b/c they didn't get the development time they needed, look no further than Smid.

The experience counts for something and the switch can be quite profound.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Not Robin Brownlee
The docile tones!

stop trading Yakupov.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Ragss

Really. Poor kid is not getting the same welcome as the previous two first overalls.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:32 PM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragss View Post
Really. Poor kid is not getting the same welcome as the previous two first overalls.
How is that?

Do you mean by his teammates or by the media.

For some reason I could see Hall being a jerk to him, but I can also see them being close buds.

Old
01-10-2013, 05:35 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
How is that?

Do you mean by his teammates or by the media.

For some reason I could see Hall being a jerk to him, but I can also see them being close buds.
By the media. By all indications, the team has been really welcoming to him

Old
01-10-2013, 05:39 PM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
stop trading Yakupov.
^^this^^

Old
01-10-2013, 06:05 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Yak will likely get the first hat trick by an Oiler this season... that'll shut everyone up OR he could be getting the Omark treatment by everyone by Valentines Day... such are the vagaries of a hockey-crazed market.

The kid has the potential to be a 50 goal scorer in the NHL. Will he ever do that? I don't know but you don't trade that away before he even steps on the ice.

I'll say this so it can sink in...

The Oilers have no holes big enough that require trading away a possible future 50 goal scorer.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:46 PM
SephF
Patreeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Just thinking that CBJ need offense so what about this:
EDM
Johansen
Nikitin
NYR or LAs 1st
CBJ
Yak

Old
01-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
What's with all the Yakupov hate? Y'all still ******** about his comments about the Canadian team at the WJHC or something?

The kid loves it here so far. Let him play a few years here before you put him on the next flight out of town.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:52 PM
HockeyOrDie
Hockey Hockey Hockey

New Leafs GM says goalie trade not out of question
Dave Nonis says goaltending is team's No. 1 priority

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...g.html?cmp=rss

Old
01-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Here's a proposal:

Paajarvi
Peckham

Ference
Caron

Bruins:
Lucic - Krejci - Horton
Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin
Paajarvi - Kelly - Peverley
Paille - Campbell - Thornton

Chara - Boychuk
Seidenberg - Hamilton
Peckham - McQuaid

Oilers:
Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Yakupov - Gagner - Hemsky
Smyth - Horcoff - Hartikainen
Eager - Belanger - Jones
Hordichuk, Petrell, Caron [Call up for Jones' injury]

Whitney - J. Schultz
Smid - Petry
Ference - N. Schultz
Potter

If only we could get a defenseman like that.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:21 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Nah, we're obviously trading Omark for Del Zotto.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:48 AM
Philly85
Raps'

Ference would be a nice addition for the Oil for sure, don't know if he's available.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:02 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Here's a proposal:

Paajarvi
Peckham

Ference
Caron

Ference is 33 and a UFA after this season. Caron would be a decent Jones replacement if he doesn't re-sign next year, but not worth giving up Paajarvi and Peckham.

Peckham has taken quite a hit around here, but he's still only played 156 games in the NHL. Stay-at-home types always take a little longer than most to establish themselves. Let's not forget that Smid needed about 300 before he became who he is. Hell, it wasn't long ago that lots of HF posters felt that Peckham had passed him on the depth chart. Jason Smith needed about 300 before he was the player we all remember him to be too. Matt Green wasn't top 4 material during his first ~250 NHL games either. This is going to be a very important seaon for Teddy, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him yet. You said "if only we could get a defenseman like that", but this time next year Peckham might just be that Andrew Ference type we're looking for.

01-11-2013, 11:19 AM
BowDangles

The Oilers need to focus on acquiring a top 4 dman, not a bottom 3 one... trade some young AHL players and some picks to get one.

We need a big tough shutdown Dman that can play in the top 4, someone like Matt Greene.. Basically we need another Smid. Having Peckham/Potter/Teubert playing in the line up every night is a recipe for disaster..

If one of our dman get hurt you can kiss the season good bye..

Old
01-11-2013, 11:21 AM
rockinghockey

I am not trading PRV for a 33 yr old dman. If we trade him we need a dman that is about 30 yrs old so that we can get some legit time from him. Plus BOS is down one dman so they are probally going to be looking for another depth dman.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:22 AM
McDoused

I would like to try an get Gunnarsson out of Toronto. Would round out our defence pretty well.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:22 AM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Trading yak anytime soon would be one of the worst oiler trades of all time. And we've had some doozys

Old
01-11-2013, 11:31 AM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

While I don't see much potential in Peckham as others do, but I don't agree in moving him + MPS for Ference and Caron. Ference is a nice vet, but he's a bottom pairing guy ideally. He's old quite old and probably nearing the end of his career. Caron is an ok bottom six player.

If we're trading arguably our best trade chip(MPS), I'd hope for something a little more long term.

01-11-2013, 11:34 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Ference is 33 and a UFA after this season. Caron would be a decent Jones replacement if he doesn't re-sign next year, but not worth giving up Paajarvi and Peckham.

Peckham has taken quite a hit around here, but he's still only played 156 games in the NHL. Stay-at-home types always take a little longer than most to establish themselves. Let's not forget that Smid needed about 300 before he became who he is. Hell, it wasn't long ago that lots of HF posters felt that Peckham had passed him on the depth chart. Jason Smith needed about 300 before he was the player we all remember him to be too. Matt Green wasn't top 4 material during his first ~250 NHL games either. This is going to be a very important seaon for Teddy, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss him yet. You said "if only we could get a defenseman like that", but this time next year Peckham might just be that Andrew Ference type we're looking for.
Needed to be said, well done.

Last edited by misfit: 01-11-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: fixed quote (format)
Old
01-11-2013, 11:37 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
While I don't see much potential in Peckham as others do, but I don't agree in moving him + MPS for Ference and Caron. Ference is a nice vet, but he's a bottom pairing guy ideally. He's old quite old and probably nearing the end of his career. Caron is an ok bottom six player.

If we're trading arguably our best trade chip(MPS), I'd hope for something a little more long term.
If the Oilers had a chance they were going to make the playoffs this year, they might do the trade, but they're not, unless some miracle happens.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:00 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

Matt Greene and Smid could skate, I don't remember what Smith was like because that was so long ago. Peckham can't skate well enough to keep up in the NHL and I highly doubt he ever will be able to. If he was just getting beat by bad positioning and and reads then I'd say he'd have a chance like the rest of them did but he's not.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:02 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
If the Oilers had a chance they were going to make the playoffs this year, they might do the trade, but they're not, unless some miracle happens.
See I hope they wouldn't. Ference is a nice player, but he's not the type that helps you get over the hump and get into the playoffs. Atleast not in my opinion.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:16 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Here's a proposal:

Paajarvi
Peckham

Ference
Caron

B
Brad Ference is a UFA after this year and there been some speculation he wants to come back to alberta

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old
01-11-2013, 12:25 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Matt Greene and Smid could skate, I don't remember what Smith was like because that was so long ago. Peckham can't skate well enough to keep up in the NHL and I highly doubt he ever will be able to. If he was just getting beat by bad positioning and and reads then I'd say he'd have a chance like the rest of them did but he's not.
Peckham is a better skater than Matt Greene ever was (Greene has been the better player at every level, but his skating wasn't the reason). And Smith was never a great skater either.

I'm not saying Peckham will ever be a top 4 defender like those guys, but I do believe he could reach the level of Andrew Ference sometime in the near future. Let's also not forget that Ference has been a 3rd pairing guy for most of his career going back to his Calgary days and has only ever been a fill-in on the top 4. He's a very good 3rd pairing defender, but a 5-6 guy none the less.

Last edited by misfit: 01-11-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: wrong Ference
Closed Thread