HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

The New Jersey Devils Defense

Old
01-11-2013, 11:02 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
I'm not sure how you can logically suggest that Larsson is going to be either scratched or riding the bench.
The coaches didn't think he helped out team be a winner in the playoffs + we had an injured veteran. I don't see that changing drastically in a shortened season with everyone healthy. He'll give him time on the ice, but I don't see him logging big minutes at all.

Last edited by GM17*: 01-11-2013 at 11:11 AM.
GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:03 AM
hlaverty06

How'd Lou sign Fayne for 1.3

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Buggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
The coaches didn't think he helped out team be a winner in the playoffs + we had an injured veteran. I don't see that changing drastically in a shortened season with everyone healthy. He'll give him time on the ice, but I don't see him logging big minutes at all.
If that's the case, he will be in the A i'd say.

Buggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
If that's the case, he will be in the A i'd say.
It's that, spot duty, or he plays 3rd pairing and Volchenkov? Salvador? sit on the bench except for PK and shutdown.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:31 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
The forwards wave hello to you too;
gomez
gionta
zelepukin
holik
oh god, we'd need a whole new thread/forum/internet to go through all the forwards

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
I'm not sure how you can logically suggest that Larsson is going to be either scratched or riding the bench.
With 6 established NHL veterans ahead of him on the depth chart, that's the only thing you can suggest.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

If the coaches don't think Larsson is a better option than two of our other d-men, he will be in the ahl. They will not sacrifice his development to have him in the press box

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:18 PM
Jack Griffin

In a perfect world our top 6 would look something like this:

Salvador-Zidlicky
Greene-Fayne
Tallinder-Larsson

But I doubt Volchenkov will be benched or traded so Larsson will most likely be the odd man out unless someone else is moved.

Jack Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:33 PM
SteveCangialosi123

If a defenseman isn't traded for a forward or even a pick just to make room for Larsson, it would be a major blunder in my opinion. It's not logical to stick with what we've got from a money standpoint, from the standpoint of our lack of forward depth, and because it would stunt Larsson's(the future of the franchise) growth. Larsson brings more to the table, or at the very least more of what we need from our defense, than Tallinder, an offensive game. Tallinder is solid, but we've got good defensive d-men(Greene, Fayne, Sal, Volch). He brings nothing to the team that we don't have. I like Tallinder but if it's a choice between Larsson and him I don't think it should even be a decision to make. You go with Larsson 10 out of 10 times, at least I would. I don't see any drawbacks from dealing him. You shed some money, potentially gain a forward or pick, and you open up a spot for the future of the franchise. Get it done as soon as possible, Lou.

SteveCangialosi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:35 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

I agree; I just don't think it'll happen soon.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:15 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I can't stand Tallinder, and CORSI or not I doubt most people will be able to stand him after he gets a few games in this season.

Larsson has been too good in the AHL, and I doubt he'll be benched a whole lot. I had the feeling Larsson could start the season in the AHL, had the NHL season started on time, and that was the reason for having 8 defensemen signed. The had a very short leash with him late last year, and even played Volchenkov against Florida over him which was a joke cause he almost cost us that series. I don't think he'll see any AHL time for the rest of the year after this weekend, or for the rest of his career even.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:37 PM
AirheadPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post
In a perfect world our top 6 would look something like this:

Salvador-Zidlicky
Greene-Fayne
Tallinder-Larsson
i share the same opinion here i think. and i agree with the guy who said it would be a major blunder if larsson isnt in the starting 6.

AirheadPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Czech Trio
from jersey

Larsson is a cornerstone for the franchise now. He gets a spot I say and its his too lose.

I would go with:
Greene -- Fayne
Tallinder -- Larsson
Salvador -- Zidlicky

Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Larsson was playing 20+ minutes a night while Volchenkov was playing 14-16.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:20 PM
SteveCangialosi123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Trio View Post
Larsson is a cornerstone for the franchise now. He gets a spot I say and its his too lose.

I would go with:
Greene -- Fayne
Tallinder -- Larsson
Salvador -- Zidlicky
So Volch sits then? I just don't think sitting any of these guys is a smart thing to do, especially when you consider the lackluster group of forwards we're projected to be putting out there. Also, you just don't sit 3 or 4 million dollars on the bench. Someones gotta get shipped and Volch won't waive his NTC most likely.

Old
01-11-2013, 03:23 PM
engy

vCash: 344
Have Zidlicky play forward, top 6. Solve right wing problems and glut of d men problems.

engy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:41 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCangialosi123 View Post
So Volch sits then? I just don't think sitting any of these guys is a smart thing to do, especially when you consider the lackluster group of forwards we're projected to be putting out there. Also, you just don't sit 3 or 4 million dollars on the bench. Someones gotta get shipped and Volch won't waive his NTC most likely.
I agree with you 100%. If Larsson is going to get the shaft because we have 6 veteran blueliners, I just don't get it.

Like you said, we need to make room for Larsson and I understand that injuries can occur at anytime but isn't that why we have Harrold? We need all the help we can get up front with the departure of Sykora, Poni and our ex captain plus the injury to Henrique to boot.

The notion of adding extra picks wouldn't hurt either cause we're most probably going to forfeit a 1st round pick in the next 2 drafts, so adding more amo for our own prospect pool or a possible trade wouldn't be a bad option IMO.

All in all, someone has to go and outside of Larsson, Fayne and Zidlicky... I don't really care who get's moved. I would prefer Volchenkov but beggars can't be choosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by engy View Post
Have Zidlicky play forward, top 6. Solve right wing problems and glut of d men problems.
I'd rather see A-Train on our 4th line, crush the living crap out of losers like Rupp when we'll face the Rags. Is Rupp still in the NHL? Is he still blaming the Devils for killing his offensive god-given-gift and his NHL career?

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:47 PM
tycobb

No way Larsson doesn't start unless he is hurt. He was only 19 last season and still played the most 5 on 5 minutes on the team. My guess if everyone is healthy - Tallinder gets moved or something insane happens (4 defensive lines, 3 forward lines, and 1 fighter).

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 03:52 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

On second thought... If I were Lou, I'd keep Larsson in the minors for a little while, keep my roster the way it is now and when a opposing team will lose a d-men cause of a injury, you just know they'll come calling for the services of one of our veterans.

With the shortened season, the lack of training camp and the compressed games... injuries are going to be flying left and right IMO. Worst case, you move someone at the deadline to clear a spot for Adam and upgrade your forward depth at the same time.

2 for 1

Old
01-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Larsson was playing 20+ minutes a night while Volchenkov was playing 14-16.
There is always a difference when 20 of those minutes are sheltered and 14 can be hard minutes. Not saying that is the case here but..

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:11 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov28 View Post
There is always a difference when 20 of those minutes are sheltered and 14 can be hard minutes. Not saying that is the case here but..
I don't want to bust balls here... but I have no idea why we keep throwing "excuses" at someone who's getting 15 minutes per game.

Threw all my time following and playing hockey, top players get top minutes, period. There's no such thing as a player earning tough but minimal minutes and vice versa.

As a coach, wouldn't you want your best players on the ice as often as possible? There has to be a reason why coaches double shift their best players while your average player sits and watches.

Just my 2 cents

Old
01-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
I don't want to bust balls here... but I have no idea why we keep throwing "excuses" at someone who's getting 15 minutes per game.

Threw all my time following and playing hockey, top players get top minutes, period. There's no such thing as a player earning tough but minimal minutes and vice versa.

As a coach, wouldn't you want your best players on the ice as often as possible? There has to be a reason why coaches double shift their best players while your average player sits and watches.

Just my 2 cents
Most of Volch's minutes are on the PK. I'd say that's harder then Larsson's ES minutes.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 04:20 PM
SteveCangialosi123

I love the fact that we have this problem. On paper this is a very solid group of defensemen, I can't wait to see how they do. The only concern I have is Larsson being benched. I'd be furious but I really can't see it happening.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:21 PM
apice3*

Larsson should not be benched, but I understand the business behind it. He's the only one that makes sense to sit, monetarily. I still expect a trade. Too much of a glaring hole at 2nd/3rd line wing and "too much" depth on defense. Hell, Jay Leach is our #9 and you could argue that he'd be able to play on a couple NHL teams.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 05:23 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post

Just my 2 cents
You're going to rile up the natives with that speak.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote