HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Was thinking about hitting the outdoor rinks...and it rained. In January. 40 degrees and rainy. We had six inches of snow before and now it's rained on and will freeze and turn to ice. This winter sucks.
You live in Toronto!!

Old
01-11-2013, 11:32 AM
ford42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
You live in Toronto!!

same here in Wisconsin. it will probably screw up all the rinks!

Old
01-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford42 View Post
same here in Wisconsin. it will probably screw up all the rinks!
Thank god out outdoor rinks are run off compressors and not the temperature.

Old
01-11-2013, 03:01 PM
ford42

applied for an appartment and my new company car came in!!!

Old
01-11-2013, 09:04 PM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Spankie View Post
Heh, I remember when I first learned how to stop, it certainly is a glorious feeling. Funny thing is I rollerbladed a lot as a kid and a lot of the skills are transferrable. Nobody believed me in my first pick up game when I told them it was my first time on skates. But no matter how well I could skate in a straight line or turn (well for a first time skater), I just could not figure out how to stop. Probably took me about 5 hours of game time to finally figure it out and I was so damn excited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
I took a friend out who sounds very similar to you, trying to teach him to stop. Was a very interesting afternoon with a lot of "Bite and fly forward" things happening. But eventually he got it, looked like a kid on Christmas, it was awesome!

It's never to late to learn a new skill!
Man, these sound like my situation. There's hope for me yet!

Old
01-12-2013, 03:10 AM
do0glas

Won our game 3-1.

Tried out my new gloves and stick. Ended up with arguably the best pass of the season and got the assist off of it! Neutral zone back hand sauce (no wobbles!) split the D and our guy scored top shelf 1v1.

11 PTs in 14 games, ill take it!

Old
01-12-2013, 01:37 PM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
Skates just fell out of warranty and the back support on the holders cracked right through didn't find out until game night...

$425 later... and I am going to be out this weekend trying out the new vapors!

Old
01-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Brunomics

Got trounced in our championship game 5-2. They took the game to us and we responded with our ticky tack non physical BS thinking we are superstars.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:24 PM
rk5n

Today I'm crying because its 50 degrees and rainy. The ice is probably gone in my backyard rink

This pic is a couple weeks old and from right before we filled it. Its 70'x34'

Old
01-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Bexlyspeed

Today I scored 5 Goals in my casual sunday morning roller hockey game

Old
01-13-2013, 11:15 PM
TLow97

Had to miss a game tonight with a knee issue that flared up the day after my last game. Hoping it starts feeling better but I may have to pay the doc a visit.

Old
01-14-2013, 03:12 AM
Ozz

Team won out season opener. Two goals for me and I got popped in the eye w/a stick. Some cuts and bruises but no blackness, thankfully. The visor must go back on now :p

Old
01-14-2013, 04:12 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

4 months without hockey now.

Old
01-14-2013, 09:20 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

FINALLY got my first goal of the season. Longest drought I've ever been in. Ten games. Ten LONG games. Scored on my ELEVENTH shot of the game and FIFTY FIRST shot of the season. Seriously.

Should have had more though.

First great shot my winger steps up and forces the defender to follow him then sets up a BEAUTY of a screen...I wait and carry and fire through his legs and I think it hit the goalie in the chest. Seriously, no way he saw it.

Second was a hard shot and the rebound came loose and to me in the high slot, I had the whole net to shoot at and tried to roof it...nailed the defender right in groin.

Third was a rush where I took the puck wide then came in on my backhand, sent a hard low shot that the goalie got his pad on, but he wasn't set right and the puck damn near bounced into the net, but hit the post.

Final shot was a puck that our defenseman kept in at the point by swatting it and it bounced to me in the high slot. Again I used my winger and their D as a screen, saw a big hole high glove, and roofed it. FINALLY.

Our team played very well overall, that tied it up halfway through the third, but they scored late in the period and we have no way to answer. 1-9-1 on the season.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Last night I was playing D and chased down a man on a breakaway. I lifted his stick, took the puck from him and started to turn away going full speed. At this point I was a step in front of him turning near the boards. I don't know what exactly he did at this point (teammates say he shoved me) but somehow i left my feet and went full speed shoulder first straight into the bottom of the boards. Separated my shoulder (I know because i've done it before to this shoulder during football). Tons of pain, not fun. Have a doctors appointment on Weds. Hopefully it isn't too bad and wont keep me out too long.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:15 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Finally scored my 4th goal this season. Not many points for me this season and its frustrating.

Made some good set ups last night but alas the puck didnt end up in the net.

Im in better shape this season and its frustrating not getting the points I did in the past.

Last edited by Lonny Bohonos: 01-15-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old
01-15-2013, 05:06 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Bought/ordered new skates for the first time in 14 years.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:01 AM
pelts35.com

Down in the butterfly scrambling for a puck, my dman pushed the forward into me and his knee drove right into my head. Felt ok and finished, but had a headache on the way home and all night. Went to the doctor the following morning and, fortunately, was told that I don't have a concussion. Still have a little headache though.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sad stat from my league:

We have 303 shots on goal with 17 goals and 1 win.
Another team has 304 shots on goal with 35 goals and 8 wins.

That's a 5.6% shooting percentage for us and 11.5% shooting percentage for them.

No puck luck.

Old
01-15-2013, 01:46 PM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Made a stupid diving play to stop a breakaway in an outdoor tourney in the relegation round this weekend. In doing so I got a skate blade to the chest and neck as we crashed into the goalie. Lucky for me only a raspberry, some bruising, and a little broken skin from the contact, but no cuts to the skin.

Probably a good wake up call for me to not play reckless like that as I could have been seriously injured and it would have been my fault. Not to mention I could have hurt the other guy and my goalie as well.

Old
01-15-2013, 11:13 PM
redbranch

Played in my first instructional league game tonight.
Played defense, got a lot of good advice from my partner,
And didn't embarrass myself.
All in all a great time and I can't wait for next weeks

Old
01-16-2013, 09:51 AM
TLow97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Sad stat from my league:

We have 303 shots on goal with 17 goals and 1 win.
Another team has 304 shots on goal with 35 goals and 8 wins.

That's a 5.6% shooting percentage for us and 11.5% shooting percentage for them.

No puck luck.

We are last in the league in shots forced and first in shots allowed. Outscored 51-28... Small miracle that we have 4 wins! But we're 3rd in PIMs so..............

Old
01-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Worked out for another five minutes last night. Had the flu for a couple weeks and that basically ruined the work I did for the last two months. Gotta start from scratch again.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:50 AM
sxHarr05

Retroactive to last Wednesday (1-9-13):
For the first time in 17 years took to the ice with stick and some gear. I've been taking the kids to public skating for about a year and have played some roller on and off over the years but this was the first time in nearly two decades I was on ice with hockey being the purpose. Felt great, too. About twenty minutes into the "Stick and puck" session my back started to remind me I'm going on 40 but after a short break I went the rest of the two hours with no issues. Had such a great time I went back Friday and got asked to participate in a scrimmage (a body is a body, right?). Ended up with 2 goals and an assist (scrimmage goals, I know. Still felt good), plus the hit (incidental contact, but I "won") of the game.

Funny thing is that despite the long layoff I feel/play better than when I was in a rec league. I'm doing things on the skates naturally that I almost had to think about before. I suppose it's because I'm just having a blast with it and enjoying my time out there instead of trying to impress my peers. My plan is to do this 2-3 times a week as my work schedule allows and maybe, MAYBE sign up for the "draft" for the 30+ C league come next fall. If this is going to be my mid-life crisis, I'll take it.

Last edited by sxHarr05: 01-17-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old
01-18-2013, 02:46 PM
SkyKushryd

Decided to jump on and share my string of bad luck I've been having lately, maybe see if it'll change.

Now, before I start, I'm not fishing for sympathy, so please don't tell me that I am.

We play every week, on Friday nights, and I have only played in 2 of the last 6 games.

First off, I got rocked hard while reaching for a puck, shoulder to head, and then hit my head on the ice. Thought nothing of it, felt fine and finished the game, next morning woke up with a massive headache and blurry vision. Went and got it checked out, had a concussion.

Missed 2 weeks from that, got it checked again, 100% good to go, so I'm back on the ice. First game back, about halfway through the game, I'm chasing a loose puck in our end, lost an edge, and went sliding full speed into the boards headfirst. I managed to turn a little bit, but slammed my shoulder into the boards, instant pain. After being helped to the bench, I just decided to get changed and go home. Took m gear off (painfully) and looked in the mirror. My right shoulder was noticeably lower than my left, so I decided to go to the hospital instead. Thankfully it wasn't dislocated, but it was close.

So I get that fixed, miss another 2 weeks, get the ok to go back. First shift of the game, I take a slapper to the side of the knee, hurt like hell, and I've had a massive bruise all week. Plus my favorite stick broke, and I can't afford to replace it for a couple weeks, so I'm stuck with my backup stick till then.

Hoping to end this weird run of bad luck tonight, thought maybe some positive vibes from you guys might help, certainly couldn't hurt.

Closed Thread