HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Fogelhund

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Aren't the Leafs one of the most win now franchises in the league? The pressure on them by ownership, fans and media to make the playoffs is immense. I don't think the patience is there for a few more seasons of rebuilding and would agree they'd trade Gardiner or Rielly if they felt it'd get them a playoff spot.
That was true in the JFJ days, and before that... it hasn't been since.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting

Anyone have a link to this Mirtle 3 way trade rumor? I can't find it in this thread or on google

Old
01-11-2013, 12:02 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Aren't the Leafs one of the most win now franchises in the league? The pressure on them by ownership, fans and media to make the playoffs is immense. I don't think the patience is there for a few more seasons of rebuilding and would agree they'd trade Gardiner or Rielly if they felt it'd get them a playoff spot.
Even with Luongo, they are a fringe playoff team, so why waste your top prospects for revenue from a couple of playoff games? They arent a team like the Panthers, who need playoffs games to help their bottom line. They are going to sell tickets and merchandise regardless, so they should just do it the right way and rebuild. Its the same reasoning with the Panthers. Next season is when we should really see them starting to take off, so why sacrifice picks and prospects for someone who would probably get them into the second round, at most.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

In a radio interview yesterday, Nonis said he would not trade a young prospect like Gardiner unless its for another young player.

I just don't see Gardiner going to Vancouver. I think Kadri, Bozak, and maybe a pick gets it done in the end, if he even goes to the Leafs.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Lundface

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
Probably Zack Kassian, even though I'm lukewarm on his ability to be an impact player in the NHL, and a first round draft pick. Roberto's contractual uncertainty is balanced with decent youth and a chance to draft twice in the first round.

Jake Gardiner for Roberto Luongo, Zack Kassian, and a first round draft choice.
Are you sure you don't want anything else with that ? I mean we're forcing you to take an over the hill and overpaid goaltender. Vancouver should also have to help with the loss of Gardiner and the salary difference.

Gardiner
Komisarek

for

Luongo
Kassian
Edler
1st 2013

For a player who will retire as the best to ever play at his position, its worth it

Last edited by piqued: 01-11-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: directed at fanbase
Old
01-11-2013, 12:07 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundface View Post
Are you sure you don't want anything else with that ? I mean we're forcing you to take an over the hill and overpaid goaltender. Vancouver should also have to help with the loss of Gardiner and the salary difference.

Gardiner
Komisarek

for

Luongo
Kassian
Edler
1st 2013

For a player who will retire as the best to ever play at his position, its worth it
And who might that be?

Last edited by piqued: 01-11-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: qep
Old
01-11-2013, 12:07 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
In a radio interview yesterday, Nonis said he would not trade a young prospect like Gardiner unless its for another young player.

I just don't see Gardiner going to Vancouver. I think Kadri, Bozak, and maybe a pick gets it done in the end, if he even goes to the Leafs.
perfect

Old
01-11-2013, 12:08 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post

I think the fact he specifically mentioned Gardiner probably means he isn't on the table. In terms of Nonis' comments that they won't mortgage the future to make the playoffs, I wouldn't read a lot into that. What eles is he supposed to say?
Burke said the exact same thing andthen traded for Kessel.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
Don't you think it is a bit early to be giving such praise to Gardiner?

Old
01-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 0
Quote:
That goes against everything Dave Nonis has said since he was hired as GM.
I don't deny that at all but a lot of the language he has used is very "lawyer-ish" in that it could easily be switched to, "I feel this still enhances the team now and for years to come".

If I were Leafs GM I wouldn't trade those guys and I'd rebuild for the next 2-3 years as that's how far away I feel the team is. That'd enrage fans and I guarantee you leafs talk at the end of this season is lit up with anger if the leafs miss the playoffs again.

While the value of the kessel trade is arguable, the timing was terrible bc it traded the future for a "win now" or at least win soon player. Kessel is a great piece but they lacked the rest.

Will fans cry for playoffs at all costs or wait 2-3 years without them to make 10 straight?

Old
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Quote:
And Vancouver fans are said to be delusional. This post is money

Gardiner
Komisarek

for

Luongo
Kassian
Edler
1st 2013

Is...This serious?

Old
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Quote:
Probably Zack Kassian, even though I'm lukewarm on his ability to be an impact player in the NHL, and a first round draft pick. Roberto's contractual uncertainty is balanced with decent youth and a chance to draft twice in the first round.

Just wanted to point out once again that this is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:10 PM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
Is...This serious?
it's not

Old
01-11-2013, 12:12 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Just wanted to point out once again that this is hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.
It's the price that Vancouver will have to pay to get one of the game's good young defenders in exchange for a contract that many in the media feel is an albatross.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I think the fact he specifically mentioned Gardiner probably means he isn't on the table. In terms of Nonis' comments that they won't mortgage the future to make the playoffs, I wouldn't read a lot into that. What eles is he supposed to say?
Burke traded for 22 year old Kessel
Luongo is 33

Old
LPH

Quote:
It's the price that Vancouver will have to pay to get one of the game's good young defenders in exchange for a contract that many in the media feel is an albatross.
Although Luongo doesn't have an amazing contract, his value is not that far behind Gardiners. Us adding Kassian and a 1st is ridiculous

I though originally it was a way of saying that Gardiner is going no where

Old
vanwest

Quote:
Oops! Sorry then.
I'm on the wrong thread. I thought you were talking about Jake Gardiner not Drew Doughty.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:16 PM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I really don't think Nonis is going to trade away the 1st this yr, Gardiner or Rielly for Lou. I think MLSE more had a problem with Burkes gruffness then the talent they have recently aquired. Big money corporations are also smart enough to look at the benefits of possible long term success over short term gain. I think Gillis has a better dance partner in Nonis then burke, but he won't be able to walk all over him.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:17 PM
StringerBell

Quote:

This goes completely against what Nonis has said since becoming GM. He said he would only trade a young player like Gardiner for another young player, not a package comprised of a goalie signed for eternity, a prospect who hasn't even proven to be a full time NHLer, and what's likely to be a late first. Leafs say no. Obviously.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:18 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
it's not
So Luongo is the greatest to play his position?

Old
01-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Quote:
And you don't think it's possible that Nonis, facing pressure from management, sees Gardiner as a necessary means to an end in order to make the best impression possible in his first season? Making the playoffs will gain him God-tier status, just like the Luongo trade did for us. He's going to be looking to make his mark on the franchise, like he did with the Canucks.

By the way, keep in mind that you're asking for a franchise goalie (contract notwithstanding), a young power forward we paid dearly to acquire and a first in a insanely deep draft for a sophomore who would be coming into the Western Conference essentially unproven. (I am aware he played briefly with Anaheim.)

Old
01-11-2013, 12:20 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
I really don't think Nonis is going to trade away the 1st this yr, Gardiner or Rielly for Lou. I think MLSE more had a problem with Burkes gruffness then the talent they have recently aquired. Big money corporations are also smart enough to look at the benefits of possible long term success over short term gain. I think Gillis has a better dance partner in Nonis then burke, but he won't be able to walk all over him.
I agree with everything you say but I think MLSE is running out of patience with missing the playoffs. I think there will be pressure on Nonis to show improvement this year and I think that in part led to Burke's dismissal. I also agree that Gillis won't be able to walk over Nonis.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Cleary it's in reference to Komisarek.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:21 PM
LPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
no...

dont know where you got that from

I saw a guy make a joke proposal in which we threw in Eder and Toronto thew in Komi
someone asked if he was serious, and i said that he wasnt
i might of messed it up, but that's what i got

obviously Luongo isnt the greatest to play his position

Old
01-11-2013, 12:21 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Cleary it's in reference to Komisarek.
That's former allstar Komisarek!

Closed Thread