HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

*ALL* Luongo Talk (News/Speculation/Rumors/Proposals)

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 12:22 PM
mapes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I really don't see Gillis trading Luongo for junk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
Actually, reading into that further, I missed that. So the Leafs get hosed, as do the Flyers. Vancouver makes out very well, mind you.
So no one is happy so it's a good deal

I think my offer was better without Blacker.

But Philli gets hosed for giving up a 2nd for a 5th, Blacker and Holzer but Leafs get hosed for giving up those 2, a good 3rd line center, Kadri and a 2nd? With Lu the 2nd won't even be top 40.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:23 PM
doorman

I have said this in previous posts, Lou's value is neither as low as Leafs(or other temas) fans hope and not as high as Nucks fan wanna think. This is just a simple reality in the cap era. Hockey trades for the most part are dead in todays game. The new CBA has if anything established lou's value as possibly lower, IMO. I am a Leafs fan yes, but this is a hockey not a bias view.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Nash

Nonis' interview about building blocks is being misrepresented. He specifically mentioned Rielly, not Jake. He was questioned whether Gardiner would also be one. What's he going to say at that point?

Old
01-11-2013, 12:25 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Nonis' interview about building blocks is being misrepresented. He specifically mentioned Rielly, not Jake. He was questioned whether Gardiner would also be one. What's he going to say at that point?
Very interesting.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:28 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
And you don't think it's possible that Nonis, facing pressure from management, sees Gardiner as a necessary means to an end in order to make the best impression possible in his first season? Making the playoffs will gain him God-tier status, just like the Luongo trade did for us. He's going to be looking to make his mark on the franchise, like he did with the Canucks.

By the way, keep in mind that you're asking for a franchise goalie (contract notwithstanding), a young power forward we paid dearly to acquire and a first in a insanely deep draft for a sophomore who would be coming into the Western Conference essentially unproven. (I am aware he played briefly with Anaheim.)
After the initial shock of the events that transpired a couple of days ago, I thought that Dave Nonis would cave and give the Canucks their choice of Morgan Rielly / Jake Gardiner. But he has since done a marvelous job of presenting the patient approach that he is known for.

Nonis is not going to trade either Rielly or Gardiner and he won't trade the first round pick either.

To get their hands on either, Vancouver is going to have to pay significantly.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Stats01

Quote:
you can twist it any way you like but he said we have spent years accumulating building blocks, and it would not be smart to tear them down right away. We're still building, sure if a deal comes along that involves a young player at another position sure he'll look at it, but not for a 33 year old vet with a 10 year contract. Gardiner, Rielly and our first are going nowhere. If Gillis wants one of them he's going to have to add significant pieces along with Luongo.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
It would be funny if Edmonton could land him; they have pieces and a need for goaltending (at least IMO)

Khabibulin (cap purposes) + MPS/Lander/Pitlick + Gernat/Marincin + something else if need be.

Old
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saurus View Post
After the initial shock of the events that transpired a couple of days ago, I thought that Dave Nonis would cave and give the Canucks their choice of Morgan Rielly / Jake Gardiner. But he has since done a marvelous job of presenting the patient approach that he is known for.

Nonis is not going to trade either Rielly or Gardiner and he won't trade the first round pick either.

LOL! He's been GM for 48 hours. The CBA has not been ratified and so no trades can be made. So far, he's been as patient as every other GM, including Paul Holmgren in Philly.

Old
doorman

Also that the last 14 teams all have a shot at the #1 overall pick via the lotto, makes the Leafs 1st this year realistically off the table, 2014 1st sure or this years protected.

Here is the deal many are reporting, Tor sends Bozak(Kesler's injury increases his value to Van at the moment), Kadri & a 2nd for Lou. Personally I like the trade for the Leafs, that being said it seems a piece is missing. I think that Nonis adds to the deal, just not what Nucks fans are going to be happy with.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:31 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorman View Post
Also that the last 14 teams all have a shot at the #1 overall pick via the lotto, makes the Leafs 1st this year realistically off the table, 2014 1st sure or this years protected.

Here is the deal many are reporting, Tor sends Bozak(Kesler's injury increases his value to Van at the moment), Kadri & a 2nd for Lou. Personally I like the trade for the Leafs, that being said it seems a piece is missing. I think that Nonis adds to the deal, just not what Nucks fans are going to be happy with.
That isn't going to happen.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:31 PM
mapes

Fine lets go a different direction.

Philli gets Lu and Grabovski
Canucks get Kessel, Bozak and Lupul
Leafs get Canucks 2013 first rounder, Phillies 2013 and 2014 1st rounders, Bryz (who we buy out with Komi in the offseason), Philli 2013 2nd rounder, Nathan Mackinnon ()

Tear this team apart!!

/sarcasm

Old
01-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Numbers

Quote:

Not saying Canucks will get Gardiner or Reilly, but Nonis has only had a few short interviews. He has done nothing yet, nor has had the time to show his true face with Toronto. Lol it's funny how fast Toronto fans change their tune with almost nothing to go on.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:33 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
LOL! He's been GM for 48 hours. The CBA has not been ratified and so no trades can be made. So far, he's been as patient as every other GM, including Paul Holmgren in Philly.
Dave Nonis has been on the air more in those 48 hours than a lot of GMs do in an entire month.

I'm satisfied with the vision that he has put forth to Leaf fans.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:34 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
you can twist it any way you like but he said we have spent years accumulating building blocks, and it would not be smart to tear them down right away. We're still building, sure if a deal comes along that involves a young player at another position sure he'll look at it, but not for a 33 year old vet with a 10 year contract. Gardiner, Rielly and our first are going nowhere.
As can you. All we know so far in his 48 hours on the job is that he has been legally unable to make any moves. Like every other GM, including Burke just before the Kessel trade, he says he will be patient. The rest is just conjecture on your part and reading your own personal views into his comments.
For what it's worth I don't hink he'll open up the vault for Luongo, but you would have to be naive to not know that Nonis will be under intense pressure from ownership to show improvement. Burke wasn't just fired because he was abrasive.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:34 PM
doorman

I think Lou is also only one of many trades that will be made in the first 24-48 hrs after trades are allowed. I think Gm's are going to be scrambling like crazy to either aquire or shed money. Though everyone claims it will not be a distraction, media will make it that way. This will be even more important in a shortened season, IMO.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:36 PM
doorman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
That isn't going to happen.
What isn't that trade or one like it?

Old
01-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
LOL, grasping aren't we?

Old
01-11-2013, 12:41 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Dave Nonis has been on the air more in those 48 hours than a lot of GMs do in an entire month.

I'm satisfied with the vision that he has put forth to Leaf fans.
LOL! He said almost word for word the same thing that every GM, including Burke when he was hired, says when they join a club.
You're reaching to pat him on the back for doing absolutely nothing.
And according to almost every Leaf fan posting here, he's been running the club for the last few years anyways with Burke as a figurehead. Now you're trying to spin it like you have a totally new GM who is going to bring new direction to the team.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:42 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
LOL! He said almost word for word the same thing that every GM, including Burke when he was hired, says when they join a club.
You're reaching to pat him on the back for doing absolutely nothing.
And according to almost every Leaf fan posting here, he's been running the club for the last few years anyways with Burke as a figurehead. Now you're trying to spin it like you have a totally new GM who is going to bring new direction to the team.
I'm happy with the direction of not trading significant young talent for veterans on questionable contracts. Indeed, is there anything wrong with advocating for a patient approach?

Old
01-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
It would be funny if Edmonton could land him; they have pieces and a need for goaltending (at least IMO)

Khabibulin (cap purposes) + MPS/Lander/Pitlick + Gernat/Marincin + something else if need be.
You are forgetting the all important...must be included.... 1st, i mean EDM is "guranteed" playoffs with Luongo!!!!

Old
01-11-2013, 12:46 PM
vanwest

Quote:
I'm happy with the direction of not trading significant young talent for veterans on questionable contracts. Indeed, is there anything wrong with advocating for a patient approach?
Every GM says that. Let's actually wait to see what he does.
You know, wait until he is legally able to make a move rather than applauding him for his words. You think you'd have learned by now that actions speak louder than words.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
That's former allstar Komisarek!
Almost as good as being Vezina nominated!!!

Old
01-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Skead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
You are forgetting the all important...must be included.... 1st, i mean EDM is "guranteed" playoffs with Luongo!!!!
Well you have to admit, Luongo has had consistent stats on bad teams (Florida and arguably Canucks early years) and on very good teams (Canucks lately).

So based on this, unless the scoring absolutely dries up on Toronto, you should have a very very good chance.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:49 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Almost as good as being Vezina nominated!!!
You've been in this thread too long. You're getting bitter.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Stats01

Sunday can't come fast enough. First day teams can start trading, you have to assume if a deal goes down it goes down Sunday or on Monday. There has been so much talk about this lol

Closed Thread