HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Training Camp Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 12:26 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I'd rather have Schwartz on that line than D'Agostini. And, I don't like the idea of Cole and Shattenkirk paired together.
In theory, with Shatty, Cole can simplify his game and focus on playing solid D instead of jumping into the play. Pairing him with Pietro might be throwing him to the wolves, and while Polak can cover for him on D, Cole might be required to do too much on a pairing like that. Plus, Cole and Shatty have looked great paired together before - and not just with the USNDP, but on the Blues, the played like five or ten games straight with that pairing and Cole looked better than at any other time in the NHL.

I seem to have more faith in Shatty defensively and Cole overall than most fans do, so perhaps I should be concerned, too. But, for now, I'll gladly wait and see with all of this.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:37 AM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

Man I could care less who's on the schedule first....DROP THE PUUUUUCCCKKKKKK!!!!

Old
01-11-2013, 12:44 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 133
To develop an earlier comment more:

I see Russell as a smaller player than Colaicovo, more easily outmuscled (although that's not forte of Colaiacovo's) but with significantly superior hockey sense. He's a guy I'm glad to have on the team, and I would even be OK with him on a PP unit (especially if there are 3 units like Hitchcock alluded to, although I think he's not going to use three PP units in actuality).

So I think he maybe could function as Pietro's partner at least as well as Colaiacovo did, and that was good enough for the team to have the best defense in the league. But in isolated battles he can get beat. If that pairing is playing in the offensive zone, it looks great. If its trying to defend Crosby's line in our own end, I worry.

As for the comments above, I have to admit that I'd rather see Schwartz on any line you project D'Agostini on, including on the top line with Backes/Oshie. And maybe he'll be there as the season progresses. More likely, Tarasenko maybe slides up there and Schwartz solidifies a spot on the 3rd line. All of these scenarios suppose D'Agostini getting traded/scratched (or maybe Stewart completely deflating, but I have a feeling that's not how its going to do down for him this year).

Maybe Porter gets sent down in favor of Schwartz and D'Agostini is a frequent scratch? Would Hitchcock start out the season like that?

Old
01-11-2013, 01:48 AM
sh724

My dad says it will be at home against Detroit on the 19th. He probably read it in the paper, but he has worked for Steve Maritz for close to 30 years and sometimes he does get info before its released

Old
01-11-2013, 03:36 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoublues29 View Post
Man I could care less who's on the schedule first....DROP THE PUUUUUCCCKKKKKK!!!!

Well there you go...

Old
01-11-2013, 06:34 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
I don't like the idea of Cole and Shattenkirk paired together.
Agree. I don't either.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:49 AM
ManyIdeas

Anyone else think about sobotka on a line with bergie and stewart? Adds defensive responsibility and decent speed and playmaking...

Old
01-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Rizzo90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyIdeas View Post
Anyone else think about sobotka on a line with bergie and stewart? Adds defensive responsibility and decent speed and playmaking...
def sounds good...who knows what coach is gonna do? Happy thing is that he HAS quite a few options to toy with, which wasn't always the case with this team

Old
01-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Brentaur

He's here.

Quote:
@StLouisBlues: Vladimir Tarasenko has arrived and is expected to participate in today's informal skate at 10 a.m. at St. Louis Mills. #stlblues -55 minutes ago
Update:

Quote:
@LKorac10: Tarasenko is on the ice ... taking pointers from @jamierivers08: yfrog.com/od8r8rvj #stlblues -10 minutes ago

Last edited by Brentaur: 01-11-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old
01-11-2013, 11:44 AM
Novacain

Also worth noting, in early drills, Bergie and Stewart have been skating with Schwartz.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:58 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentaur View Post
He's here.

Update:
I'm 48 years old, and I have not been so exited about a "Blues Prospect" since Joey Mullen when I was in High School. Honrable Mention to Wayne Babych, Bernie Federko, and Mike Liut.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
So within the last week D'Agostini has gone from projected to be on the top line with Bashie to not skating on any of the top 3 lines (Perron-Backes-Oshie, McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko, Schwartz-Berglund-Stewart).

I feel like trade coming. He's not a fourth line type player.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:32 PM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
So within the last week D'Agostini has gone from projected to be on the top line with Bashie to not skating on any of the top 3 lines (Perron-Backes-Oshie, McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko, Schwartz-Berglund-Stewart).

I feel like trade coming. He's not a fourth line type player.
Those lines look sick...either three can easily be considered our first line. Wow...that third line is the difference-maker though, if they can find chemistry (like Berglund/Stewart appeared to have when Stewart was first traded to us).

While D'Agostini isn't an ideal 4th line player, he still brings some toughness to the lineup (even though he isn't big). He's fast, has a great shot, and can drop the gloves every now and then. With that said, I feel better hanging on to him and not trading him. If Schwartz makes the team and D'ags is traded, our first callup option is...McRae? Grachev? I guess that's why having Sobotka is great...he can move up to the 3rd line, and the person he replaces can move up to the top 6 to replace the injured player. Still, having D'Agostini as an option to put into the top 6 in place of an injured player looks a lot better than McRae/Grachev. I guess the problem is what do we do with D'Agostini when there aren't any injuries.

It's definitely a good problem to have!

Old
01-11-2013, 12:34 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Depth is a nice thing to have.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:59 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
Those lines look sick...either three can easily be considered our first line. Wow...that third line is the difference-maker though, if they can find chemistry (like Berglund/Stewart appeared to have when Stewart was first traded to us).

While D'Agostini isn't an ideal 4th line player, he still brings some toughness to the lineup (even though he isn't big). He's fast, has a great shot, and can drop the gloves every now and then. With that said, I feel better hanging on to him and not trading him. If Schwartz makes the team and D'ags is traded, our first callup option is...McRae? Grachev? I guess that's why having Sobotka is great...he can move up to the 3rd line, and the person he replaces can move up to the top 6 to replace the injured player. Still, having D'Agostini as an option to put into the top 6 in place of an injured player looks a lot better than McRae/Grachev. I guess the problem is what do we do with D'Agostini when there aren't any injuries.

It's definitely a good problem to have!
Without Dags

Perron Backes Oshie
Schwartz Berglund Stewart
McDonald Steen Tarasenko
Sobotka Nichol Langenbrunner
Reaves
Porter
Grachev
Murray
McRae
Peluso

Still a pretty darn deep group of forwards.
I like D'Agostini, but right now he's an expendable piece and one that should have decent trade value. He goes a long way towards getting the D man we need.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:02 PM
tfriede2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Without Dags

Perron Backes Oshie
McDonald Steen Tarasenko
Reaves
Porter
Grachev
Murray
McRae
Peluso

I like D'Agostini, but right now he's an expendable piece and one that should have decent trade value. He goes a long way towards getting the D man we need.
If that's true, then he's absolutely expendable. I'm just not sure what we can get for him in a trade. I trust Army to find out though!

Old
01-11-2013, 01:19 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Without Dags

Perron Backes Oshie
McDonald Steen Tarasenko
Reaves
Porter
Grachev
Murray
McRae
Peluso

Don't forget about Cracknell. I'd think he'd get a callup way before McRae at this point. All depends on what sort of role they're looking for when looking for a callup though.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:21 PM
KirkOut
Especially the lies

vCash: 50
Was at the practice today. Tarasenko looked a little nervous at times but it's his first day in a new country so I guess that's to be expected. Also he hit a diving polak in the face on a saucer pass on a 2-on-1 drill and polak had to go to the locker room. It was clear that a lot of the guys (jackman, oshie, and andy mac that i saw) were trying to help him with drills and fit in with the team. The player that impressed me the most was sobotka-he was really looking good. Schwartz also looked impressive. D'agostini was underwhelming. It will be interesting to see what our bottom 6 looks like this season

Old
01-11-2013, 01:31 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Don't forget about Cracknell. I'd think he'd get a callup way before McRae at this point. All depends on what sort of role they're looking for when looking for a callup though.
I left off Hensick and SDR as well, both of whom have NHL experience.

Honestly though; I doubt we'd even have to go past Murray. Even there you're talking about being 16 forwards deep, and that is ridiculous in the Cap era. Having 5 legit options beyond that is insane and practically unheard of.

Bottom line; forward depth is a non-issue for us. We can easily afford to move a body or two.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:38 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
I'd rather have Schwartz on that line than D'Agostini. And, I don't like the idea of Cole and Shattenkirk paired together.
What's your hesitation with Cole-Shatty? Those two have seemed to play well together since they were 16.

I agree though that I prefer Shatty with Jackman. Those two seemed to make a good pairing. The success of Cole-Shatty will depend on if Cole can improve his consistency and Shatty can improve his defense a bit. Adding a solid left d-man to pair with Petro would not only solidify that top pairing but it would help balance out the 2nd and 3rd pairings while also adding much needed defensive depth (ie. it would push Woywitka to Peoria).

Old
01-11-2013, 01:40 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
I left off Hensick and SDR as well, both of whom have NHL experience.

Honestly though; I doubt we'd even have to go past Murray. Even there you're talking about being 16 forwards deep, and that is ridiculous in the Cap era. Having 5 legit options beyond that is insane and practically unheard of.

Bottom line; forward depth is a non-issue for us. We can easily afford to move a body or two.
Agreed. Our offensive depth is currently way better than our defensive depth.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Rizzo90

Went to this morning's skate. Was struck @ 1st with a few things, Berglund is humongous & looks like he's more willing to use his size to bully through bodies than I've noticed in the past. Stewart looked amazing, what I noticed most was the passes he was dishing to other players were totally sweet. Halak looked very alert & hungry. Porter was skating like a madman , only noticed this cuz he seemed to be one of the only people who could skate with Amac. Steen looks to have put some size on too, not as slender. Tarasenko appeared to be just intently watching, soakin it all in, he skates really well & damn what a hard shot. Schartz didn't impress as much as I though he would. Russel is amazingly fast. Cole was like glue on almost any forward to tried puckhandling past him. Oshie spends a lot of time on his butt,
Everyone else was who you'd expect them to be & everyone seened to have big smiles on their faces, GO BLUES!!

Old
01-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
What's your hesitation with Cole-Shatty? Those two have seemed to play well together since they were 16.

I agree though that I prefer Shatty with Jackman. Those two seemed to make a good pairing. The success of Cole-Shatty will depend on if Cole can improve his consistency and Shatty can improve his defense a bit. Adding a solid left d-man to pair with Petro would not only solidify that top pairing but it would help balance out the 2nd and 3rd pairings while also adding much needed defensive depth (ie. it would push Woywitka to Peoria).
The only problem I have with a Cole-Shattenkirk pairing is what it means for the rest of the pairings.

I have to admit I'm a little confused by all the talk about pairings. Jackman-Shattenkirk & Russell-Polįk both work really well together, so I'd be a little surprised to see us messing with them before first seeing how Pietrangelo and Cole got on together.

Old
01-11-2013, 03:09 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo90 View Post
Went to this morning's skate. Was struck @ 1st with a few things,
Awesome, thanks for the report.

Quote:
Berglund is humongous & looks like he's more willing to use his size to bully through bodies than I've noticed in the past.
Good to hear. Nice to hear Bergie using his size aggressively. I mostly see him use his size to shield the puck.

Quote:
Stewart looked amazing, what I noticed most was the passes he was dishing to other players were totally sweet.
Awesome. Big question is his stamina and mental make-up though, gotta wait for games to tell.

Quote:
Halak looked very alert & hungry.
He should eat something then. He is already pretty small.

Quote:
Porter was skating like a madman , only noticed this cuz he seemed to be one of the only people who could skate with Amac.
Cool. If we end up trading D'Agostini, Porter could still offer a speed threat in the line-up that other teams have to keep in mind. Better physically and defensively than D'Agostini as well. Seems better suited for a bottom six role than D'Agostini does.

Quote:
Steen looks to have put some size on too, not as slender.
Should only help against the big-bodied centers in the West, as long as he is still mobile.

Quote:
Tarasenko appeared to be just intently watching, soakin it all in, he skates really well & damn what a hard shot.
He practicing with Blues players. That is enough for me. So excited.

Quote:
Schartz didn't impress as much as I though he would.
Schwartz's skill that will make him an NHL player is his hockey sense. That won't show up in drills. Much harder to see/evaluate in practice than a game.

Quote:
Russel is amazingly fast.
Good to hear. A lack of speed on the blueline can kill teams.

Quote:
Cole was like glue on almost any forward to tried puckhandling past him.
Fantastic to hear. That is what we need from him.

Quote:
Oshie spends a lot of time on his butt,
Glad to hear that Oshie is in mid-season form.

Quote:
Everyone else was who you'd expect them to be & everyone seened to have big smiles on their faces, GO BLUES!!

Again, thanks for the info. I'm excited for the puck to drop!

Old
01-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo90 View Post
Went to this morning's skate. Was struck @ 1st with a few things, Berglund is humongous & looks like he's more willing to use his size to bully through bodies than I've noticed in the past. Stewart looked amazing, what I noticed most was the passes he was dishing to other players were totally sweet. Halak looked very alert & hungry. Porter was skating like a madman , only noticed this cuz he seemed to be one of the only people who could skate with Amac. Steen looks to have put some size on too, not as slender. Tarasenko appeared to be just intently watching, soakin it all in, he skates really well & damn what a hard shot. Schartz didn't impress as much as I though he would. Russel is amazingly fast. Cole was like glue on almost any forward to tried puckhandling past him. Oshie spends a lot of time on his butt,

Thanks for the info.

Steen lost a lot weight last year while being out. Glad to see him put it back on. He's such an underrated player. Putting size and strength back on will go a long way for him this year. I am also expecting BIG things from Berglund this year. He has the potential to dominate and I think he will. One of my favorite Blues.

Closed Thread