Notices

2012 (now 2013!) Training Camp/Pre-Season Thread

Old
01-08-2013, 09:05 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I am a Wandell fan. I'm not sure what you mean about his recent play. We haven't gotten many (if any) reports out of the KHL on his progress.

I think he'd be less likely to clear waivers than a guy like Sceviour.
True ... was referring more to his lack of offensive production in the NHL, and I should have stated it that way. I like the guy as well, and that came off as saying he's not an overall solid player which I think he is.

So I think you feel his overall game is good enough that it's too big of a risk, and that could very well be true.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:08 PM
BigG44

This can't give you a perfect update on how he performed in Russia, but here are Wandell's stats:

26 GP
2 G (Both at ES)
7 A
9 PTS
18 PTS
53.6 Faceoff %
17:29 TOI/Game

Old
01-08-2013, 09:11 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Look at that faceoff %!

Wandell is the type of guy that you know has caught other peoples' eye at some point. He may not be terribly effective, but he has those flashes that make you sit up and take notice. If other GMs see the name "Tom Wandell" go across the waiver wire they're going to at least entertain the idea that he could be something more for their team. Every team has a player like Colton Sceviour (and I say that as a big [biggest?] Sceviour fan) that they'd rather give the chance in-house to. Wandell has a rarer breed of speed and the ability to handle the puck at that speed.

Either way, I think his days at center are numbered. He's probably been miscast there. He needs to be playing on the wing and killing penalties to contribute the most. I think he could take what was assumed to be Vincour's spot on the 3rd line as Vincour recovers and gets back up to speed.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 09:28 PM
BigG44

Speaking of Sceviour .... is it possible I was looking at this waiver situation all wrong?

Colton was waived this season. That technically occurred before the lockout happened. So ... since he's already cleared waivers once this season, as long as he doesn't play 10 NHL games or stay on the roster for more than 30 days, shouldn't he be clear from regular waivers a 2nd time?

The wording I believe is during the playing season .... but most young players in his position are often waived before the official start of the season. Usually just before NHL camp ends but right before the start of AHL camp.

This might apply. IDK .... guess we'll have to defer to the experts and just hope and see.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:07 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I still think Wandell has some hidden offensive potential. Will we ever actually see it, though? Doubtful.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 10:15 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I still think Wandell has some hidden offensive potential. Will we ever actually see it, though? Doubtful.
I still think his biggest challenge this year is getting on the ice. Although, I hadn't considered the move to wing. Piqued's right, the guy only has a shot at center if there is an injury.

Old
01-08-2013, 10:55 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

I'm just taking a wait and see approach on the new procedural rules. It's hard to speculate on roster moves without knowing all the information.

Old
01-09-2013, 05:52 AM
e91a

Hey. Is Nemeth gonna be part of the camp and have a chance at nhl this year?

e91a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 08:45 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91a View Post
No chance will he be in the NHL this year. There's a slight chance for a call up but Nieuwy already stated his top 3 D's who in his opinion are NHL ready and Nemeth ain't one.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 12:44 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Originally Posted by e91a View Post
When you see Oleksiak make it to Dallas, that's when you'll know Nemeth is next. That or they'll both jump over the summer at the same time.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2013, 05:12 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

It's kinda funny how the phrase has changed from "tough to play against" to "tougher matchups to play against" now that the team has more skill in the lineup.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:14 PM
BigG44

I saw this earlier and forgot to post it.

Russo said he expects player physicals will take place on Saturday. This had previously been reported to be occurring on Sunday.

This change will allow for 6 full days of preparation before the puck drops. The last time Gulutzan commented on camp, he was concerned that teams would only be permitted to do testing and physicals on Sunday.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:18 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Brandon Worley ‏@brandonworley
Gulutzan says Roy will almost certainly play with Eriksson on his wing.
Whitney-Benn-Jagr confirmed then?

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:28 PM
BigG44

UGhh .... I've been looking forward to Eriksson-Benn-Jagr ever since GMJN said that's what he saw them starting with.

Whitney does make sense though. I don't mean say these three only score goals, but Eriksson, Benn, and Jagr are probably best suited to pull the trigger. This gives the line a pass first player.

Roy, even though he can score some goals too, is going to be able to dish primarily to Eriksson and Ryder. We know Eriksson and Ryder worked so well together last year too.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:33 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Everyone in the top 6 will probably be interchanged at one point or another.

Though it is funny that whatever Joe draws up Gulutzan changes.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:33 PM
txomisc

who knows how things will actually work out but it always seemed to make the most sense to me to have whitney on benns line

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Canucker

Went to the practice today, and disappointed to not see Jagr dressed. I'm not sure who is all at there camp, but it almost looked like Jere Lehtinen was out there practicing with them.

One guy who stood out to me was Tom Wandell, looked pretty good.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 01:41 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
who knows how things will actually work out but it always seemed to make the most sense to me to have whitney on benns line
Unless Whitney and Jagr spent the lockout creating a cartoonish device to leach Benn of his youth ....

Old
01-11-2013, 01:42 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Went to the practice today, and disappointed to not see Jagr dressed. I'm not sure who is all at there camp, but it almost looked like Jere Lehtinen was out there practicing with them.

Yeah they confirmed he was there on a line with Morrow.

Sounded like Sssssttttttuuuuuu!!!!! Barnes ran practice.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Primetimey

Quote:

Dallas Stars ‏@DallasStars
UPDATE: Stars fans, Jagr had a late flight coming in....we're still expecting him to arrive.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:03 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Wandell hype train confirmed back on track. Morrow-Eakin-Wandell a real possibility?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Sounded like Sssssttttttuuuuuu!!!!! Barnes ran practice.
Well that's one way of getting around the coaches-can't-coach yet problem, just have your quasi-coach a few years removed from the bench do it.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Wandell hype train confirmed back on track. Morrow-Eakin-Wandell a real possibility?

Well that's one way of getting around the coaches-can't-coach yet problem, just have your quasi-coach a few years removed from the bench do it.
Not trying to hype him...lots of great practice players in the NHL who don't put up the numbers you'd think they should. Just watching him you could tell he's got a ton of skill and boy did he rip a nice shot over Lehtonen's shoulder. Skated really well too, perhaps there is less rust on him since he was over in the KHL.

Lehtonen looked pretty good too, so quick for a big man.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:40 PM
BigG44

This DBD article seems to blame the coach for Robidas' poor showing in Finland?

Quote:
Stephane Robidas had a tough time in the SM-Liiga as he was expected to become a top pairing offensive defenseman, a kind of Sergei Zubov for HIFK. In any case its clear that he was very badly used by the HIFK coach and he only managed 5 points through his 19 games, two goals and three assists. At the very least the experience served the purpose of keeping him game fit for the season and keep him on toes. Unlike other veterans who may be rusty after so long without a game Robidas will be ready for action.
Huh?

Old
01-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Alistar

I dunno, having Whitney and Jagr with Benn makes sense to me. The whole idea was to bring in a second line center to free Benn from defensive responsibilities and let him focus more on a scoring role. Well, the two old timers who don't do much these days except score also sound like a good fit for that line.

The one player I'm curious about now is Michael Ryder though - he doesn't exactly have much of a reputation as a two way / defensive stopper type guy so I'll be interested to see how he can hold up in that area against the top skaters on the opposition.

Alistar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 02:57 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
The one player I'm curious about now is Michael Ryder though - he doesn't exactly have much of a reputation as a two way / defensive stopper type guy so I'll be interested to see how he can hold up in that area against the top skaters on the opposition.
It's seems pretty doubtful he'll be in that role. Yes Eriksson is a great two-way player, but that line of Eriksson-Roy-Ryder is built to be an explosive, offensive threat.

A year ago, Erikisson and Ryder along with whoever they stuck between them was Dallas' 1st line. This year the just actually have a Top 6.

Dallas' goal, and admittedly on the road it could be difficult, will likely be to have Eakin and Morrow playing in more of a checking role.

Plus, they could just choose to go strength vs. strength .... our guys can out score your guys, but I get the feeling Eakin's line will be used in the traditional checking line role.