HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 7)

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 08:48 PM
hockeyboy4

vCash: 500
czinder with a goal in his first game! first of many

Old
01-10-2013, 09:07 PM
Section103

Aleardi is fast, and he makes it look effortless! He's everywhere. Sieloff with another solid outing as well... he's a beast.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section103 View Post
Aleardi is fast, and he makes it look effortless! He's everywhere. Sieloff with another solid outing as well... he's a beast.
I know this Aleardi kid is great, he's my type of player he's somewhere between a Kenny Ryan and Dale Mitchell type of player..very fast, plays on edge, gritty and what a steal for and just for Lorentz lol what the heck was Velucci thinking, I know he had 4 O/A's but for this kid he could have got a way better player.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Ottomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
I know this Aleardi kid is great, he's my type of player he's somewhere between a Kenny Ryan and Dale Mitchell type of player..very fast, plays on edge, gritty and what a steal for and just for Lorentz lol what the heck was Velucci thinking, I know he had 4 O/A's but for this kid he could have got a way better player.
He was doing Aleardi a favor and was trading him close. As an OA in his last three months in the league, and from Farminton Hills, MI, he kept him close to home.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:45 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Koko doesn't have what he brought last year....let.
Am I missing something? Koko-Rychel-Aleardi were electric tonight. They had the fans around me gasping. Koko really looked like he was playing with the Battalion; doing whatever he wanted, when he wanted.

This team got what it needed with the trades: two very skilled offensive guys (Aleardi, Koko), a solid body (Gift), and a big-time D-man (Koek). If tonight was any indication, the second half could be a lot of fun.

As for Aleardi and Plymouth...depends on what they were offered for him and what the situation was. If you have four guys, and only two of them you'll even consider dealing, and only one will fetch a player....you go with the player if that's what you need.

Old
01-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Section103

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
Am I missing something? Koko-Rychel-Aleardi were electric tonight. They had the fans around me gasping. Koko really looked like he was playing with the Battalion; doing whatever he wanted, when he wanted.
Agreed

Old
01-10-2013, 10:04 PM
SpItFiReZ

I posted that during the first intermission. Rest of the game that line looked fantastic.

Old
01-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Ottomatic

Just one game, but Spits looked good. No doubt they got the big speech so everybody came out skating hard. Rychel|Khokhlachev|Aleardi will just need time together - I hope Boughner sticks with set lines rather than his shuffling. I liked Vail and Giftopoulos as a tandem, either Ben Johnson or Verbeek (or even Emerson Clark) could be put with them and make up a solid top checking line.

Knowing that we're out of cards and only have 11 forwards, everytime somebody takes a puck off the foot or goes off after a slash to the hand you begin to worry though. I hope Warren is mining Jr. B looking to sign any top free agents, I don't know if McCann back is the answer for our 4th line. I wonder if any OA's were cut from the other leagues we could maybe look at - ones that we could sign to a Jr B card (assuming we could).

Koekkoek really likes jumping up into the play, might need to rein him in a bit there, but he's definitely a #1 defenceman talent.

A couple tests already this weekend - that damn big ice in Belleville (though we are better built for that rink now than before the trades this past week), and then to Oshawa to see DJ and the Gennies. We need at least two points out of this weekend.

Old
01-10-2013, 11:16 PM
jughead42

@ Bitter Petes fan: I think what you have there in Peterborough is a poisonous situation that is poisoning players. Was Steve Downie the problem when he was shipped out of town, or was the Windsor organization? We know the answer by now, it's the same thing with the Petes. Murphy was a problem, he comes here and scores at almost a point per game clip. He's happy to be here and it shows in his play. I think the same will happen with Koekkoek. I saw an interview with him where he was asked about visiting cities he enjoyed playing in and he gave two, Windsor and Kitchener. He said he loved the atmosphere in those buildings. I think it's fair to say he'll be happy here. Steve Yzerman didn't draft a head case. Just look how many guys wanted out of Peterborough over the years, there's something more going on there than one kid having ego problems. Is it Koekkoek's fault that Spooner wanted out too? I think we have a Pete's fan with a serious case of denial about his club, and he is taking it out on the players instead of the team.

I'm with tough guy on Clarke being captain material for the Petes some day. If he chose to waive the no trade to make this happen I put him up there with Austin Watson as great former Spitfires. Taking his medicine with the Petes didn't hurt Watson's development, it won't hurt Clarke either. So what if his billet doesn't flush after a bowel movement, or whatever it is that is making kids miserable in Peterborough these days. It means plenty of ice and opportunity.

I think naming Koko as captain is a way for the team to help ensure he doesn't check out for the AHL like Kassian did his last season. Who cares if his english is broken, it's probably a smart move to put all that responsibility on him to keep him honest.

Good game by the boys so far, watching the replay now because I had to work until 1100. It sounds like we won, that's 2 points. Let's get a few more now.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:50 AM
hockeylegend11

Encouraging signs for Spits after snapping 7 game losing skid,definite upgrade on speed and talent
A bit of a slow start,somewhat understandable considering they have not practiced with a full squad,but after that u can really see much quicker this team is
Strong debuts for all the new players in the lineup,Koko showing nice chemistry with Rychel and Aleardi,speaking of Aleardi he was everywhere played a great game,Koekkoek except for 1 gaffe looked really strong and had a presence i in all facets of his game,strong defensively,jumping into the rush,being physical,this guy can play,Giftopoulous hit everything in sight,strong along the boards,good net presence,he looks like he be a major contributer in the future ,i like his game,Pavelka very solid his best game jn a month,about time,did not have alot of tough chances but the offensively challenged threw a lot of pucks at him and he was to the task,Murphy was solid,Seiloff played very well showed little effects of a long plane ride homme with his gold medal in tow,Adam Bateman in my view played one of his best games of the year,good for him strong positionally,keep things simple,willingness to engage was there,nice to see rookie Ryan Verbeek get his 1st goal,he really wired it,his improved play 4 pts in his last 3 outings should bring more icetime,Ben Johnson played well,he is in one of his streaks,needs connsistency to round out his gane,Marchese was pedestrian in his game nedds to show more urgency,Vail got hurt early,returned and played fairly well but not great
All in all decent effort,confidence grew as the game wore on,especially after scoring the 2nd goal
Its only 1 game but there is reason for optimisim,still work needed to be done,treat each game as a playoff game and they will be fine
Weekend games at Belleville and Oshawa will be a test for this group,their increased fusion of speed should suit them well on the larger ice surface in Belleville,tough game in Oshawa against DJ Smiths team on Sunday
One game at a time boys is what i say

Old
01-11-2013, 08:25 AM
RayzorIsDull

I thought it was a decent performance. The new guys looked fine I am still concerned about the very sloppy play in their own zone. There were 6 or 7 times when players had plenty of time to either skate with the puck or pass it to a teammate and they just literally float a pass to a Battalion player. It was nice to break the drought but the play really has to improve especially when you consider 8 games left against Plymouth and London. They can't play the way they did last night and get points against those teams. Also the Spits fate will be dictated upon how well they do on the road, won't make the playoffs if they continue to struggle on the road.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:06 AM
youngblood10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I think the same will happen with Koekkoek. I saw an interview with him where he was asked about visiting cities he enjoyed playing in and he gave two, Windsor and Kitchener. He said he loved the atmosphere in those buildings. I think it's fair to say he'll be happy here.
This just shows what a head case he is. How could he not say the centre of the junior hockey universe as deemed by lord Branch. Everyone knows that London is the bestest place in the whole entire world...

Spits looked good, get some time practicing together and stay healthy they look like a playoff team.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood10 View Post
This just shows what a head case he is. How could he not say the centre of the junior hockey universe as deemed by lord Branch. Everyone knows that London is the bestest place in the whole entire world...

Spits looked good, get some time practicing together and stay healthy they look like a playoff team.
Thats Kind of a cocky comment there, How is it the Best place in the world?...one of the Best junior fanchises yes most definetly but they go along with Windsor and Kitchener in this league, its a good Loud, intense atmosphere in all 3 Buildings, They all have the winning mantality and want to be competetive every year....and all three were the last OHL teams were the last to win the Memorial Cup(Windsor with 2, more then London right?)...Some players just dont like London and im sure some dont like Windsor and Kitchener but there all top notch Junior franchises, and to say there the bestest(not even a word) is crazy and its just a stupid comment, and Koekoek is not a headcase, where did he go in the NHL draft? oh yea 10th i geuss you forgot that...

Old
01-11-2013, 11:09 AM
jah65

not familiar with sarcasm?

Old
01-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Thats Kind of a cocky comment there, How is it the Best place in the world?...one of the Best junior fanchises yes most definetly but they go along with Windsor and Kitchener in this league, its a good Loud, intense atmosphere in all 3 Buildings, They all have the winning mantality and want to be competetive every year....and all three were the last OHL teams were the last to win the Memorial Cup(Windsor with 2, more then London right?)...Some players just dont like London and im sure some dont like Windsor and Kitchener but there all top notch Junior franchises, and to say there the bestest(not even a word) is crazy and its just a stupid comment, and Koekoek is not a headcase, where did he go in the NHL draft? oh yea 10th i geuss you forgot that...
youngblood is a Spits fan...

Internet sarcasm takes another victim.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnintecumseh View Post
not familiar with sarcasm?
i really dont care if it was sarcasm, to be honest...I dont like the knights at all and sarcasm or not shouldnt be saying there the best Juniour team in the world...and there was a knight fan that said that a few days ago on the trade board and wasent being sarcastic and its really annoying...When people still say there the only elite team, i mean it was only a what 15 years ago or so when they were playing at the London Gardens and they were an average team and the best teams were the Petes and Oshawa's and no London or Windsor.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Hawks3

I was impressed they looked pretty good hopefully a 6 point weekend, Not sure about Murphy and Koekkoek playing together though they are both offensivley minded. on a 4 on 4 kk was behind their net with both forwards in deep. One quick pass would have been an easy 3 on 1

Old
01-11-2013, 12:29 PM
aresknights

Quote:
When people still say there the only elite team, i mean it was only a what 15 years ago or so when they were playing at the London Gardens and they were an average team and the best teams were the Petes and Oshawa's and no London or Windsor.
Go back to 95/96 and we had the 3-60-3 season, no where near average

Im sure both teams fans can appreciate an ownership group that is competent and cares.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:56 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
i really dont care if it was sarcasm, to be honest...I dont like the knights at all and sarcasm or not shouldnt be saying there the best Juniour team in the world...and there was a knight fan that said that a few days ago on the trade board and wasent being sarcastic and its really annoying...When people still say there the only elite team, i mean it was only a what 15 years ago or so when they were playing at the London Gardens and they were an average team and the best teams were the Petes and Oshawa's and no London or Windsor.
He...was...joking!

Old
01-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Libbs

Quote:
He...was...joking!
He is also a Spits fan.

Old
01-11-2013, 06:26 PM
hockeyboy4

will Remy Giftopoulos be a overager next year? if so do you guys think he will be back as one? i would think so

Old
01-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Ottomatic

^Depends on how he plays the rest of the season, but I think he's likely. Looking at our current roster only Remy and goalie Pavelka are '93's - well Khokhlachev is as well, but he's not going to be back. I don't know if Pav will even be back, it will depend on a few things.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:55 PM
youngblood10

Quote:
As a warm blooded Spits fan, I totally agree sarcasm or not somethings are intolerable and have no place in society. London is for losers, like going all the way to the Memorial Cup final and losing in OT. , Or winning 24 in a row and choking #25 away after leading 3-0. Love that stuff.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:55 AM
KnightSpit

Good Trades

Quote:

This team got what it needed with the trades: two very skilled offensive guys (Aleardi, Koko), a solid body (Gift), and a big-time D-man (Koek). If tonight was any indication, the second half could be a lot of fun.

As for Aleardi and Plymouth...depends on what they were offered for him and what the situation was. If you have four guys, and only two of them you'll even consider dealing, and only one will fetch a player....you go with the player if that's what you need.
Could not have said it better, these trades injected some much needed life into Windosr. I also think they made the moves and had to, because they now have to fight off Erie who will be chasing them for the final playoff spot. Surprised they did not move Bateman, but I guess whoever take him, also would have to take the GOLD education package. If they stay healthy with this line up, the palyoffs should be a no brainer !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
01-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Ottomatic

Spits will still have an uphill battle to get into the play-offs - the games against Saginaw will be must wins. We have to hope the trading away of Trocheck will eventually wear on them and that these wins without him are just rallying cries and will fade away.

Spits need two points out of the weekend two games at least. Playing two tough teams to boot on the road. I hate the Belleville rink, it's a huge home ice advantage while I think the boys will be up playing against DJ Smith.

I think WR's ego got in the way of moving Bateman. He couldn't accept whatever he was being offered given the package he paid for him - so will go into "I'll prove you wrong mode" and hope that Bateman will still come around - hopefully Koekkoek's presence will rub off on him a bit. We've seen seventeen you olds here struggle and move on to be good to solid OHL players - Blacker during our run, and Webermin who was in largely the same situation as Bateman here. Bateman could have used the fresh start, but maybe he can get that here playing in the bottom pair with no pressure to provide any offense now that Koekkoek and Murphy are here for that ahead of him. He can greatly simplify his game, and as the 6th defenceman on our roster has no pressure to do anything.

Closed Thread